Fans Warming To Player Who Could Become Unlikely Hero

My son Neil and I were talking last night about how well Daryl Murphy has done at Newcastle over the last two weeks when he has scored three goals in three games for us and of course he’s never been at a club as big as Newcastle.

Coming to the end of his long career could well see him become a hero at Newcastle in what we are hoping is another promotion season for the club.

And as we all know from the past, Geordie fans never forget the players who get us back to the first tier of English football and Daryl can go down in the annals of Newcastle’s great history – and he seems to know that too.

Daryl Murphy – becoming a Newcastle hero – quickly

Daryl scored the all important first goal on Saturday against the Millers and it was a very good goal from the big Irishman.

That turned the tide in the game against a Rotherham team who completely frustrated Newcastle in the first half.

A quick goal from Matt Ritchie in the second half sealed the game for Newcastle with more goals coming from Ayoze Perez and another one from Ritchie.

It’s becoming a bit of a fairy tale for Daryl, who gave a great interview on nufcTV after the game on Saturday in that great Irish accent of his.

Here’s what Daryl has said as reported in the Chronicle:

“I scored two goals the previous week at Brentford and Birmingham, but I said to my wife and kids there would be nothing better than to score at home in front of 52,000 fans and that was definitely the case, it was absolutely brilliant.”

”I want to be pushing to win stuff and play in front of 52,000 people. I just want to test myself really before I finish and I don’t think there’s a better club to come to do that.”

“Everyone wants to be beat us, we are top of the league and that’s just the way it is.”

“It gives them more motivation and it’s hard for us,  but we know if we play the way we can, we can beat any team on the day.”

“The opening goal was good timing really, just before half-time.”  “For them to concede just before half-time makes it a different team-talk for their manager.”

“I think the first goal is always important here and in the second half we just kicked on – as soon as we were in front we knew we had to push on and get some more goals.”

“We created a lot of chances and thankfully we took some of them, in the end it was quite comfortable.”

“The service I get is brilliant and you just have to be in and around the box on the move because when the delivery comes in, the ball can go anywhere.”

“I try to place myself in the best position scoring-wise and thankfully the ball dropped to me and I scored.”

“We knew going into the Rotherham game if we won, we’d be top of the league, it’s as simple and straightforward as that so we knew what we had to do.”

Good words there from the former Ipswich Town striker.

We make his goal on Saturday Daryl’s 85th in the Championship in 279 total league games in England’s second division.

He’s played for Sunderland, Sheffield Wednesday (loan), Ipswich Town and now Newcastle in the Championship.

Rafa Benitez has been going on about how good a professional Daryl is and how he has worked very hard in training even when he hasn’t had a sniff of a game.

Good character and great experience is paying off and Daryl Murphy could well become the unlikely hero – well at least one of the heroes – on Tyneside this season.

Good for him!

Rafa knew exactly what he was doing when he raised eyebrows by bringing the 33 year-old into the club in late August – the manager’s vast experience in football has paid off again for Newcastle – and Daryl has been worth every penny we paid for him.

• jayphoto

Jan 23, 2017 at 12:46 PM

Heres my take on Townsend at nufc/cpfc
    Rafa, as well all know likes a 4-2-3-1 with 2 inverted wide forwards that come inside allowing space for over lapping full backs. Townsends game is a left footed, right sided player who can run with the ball, prefers to come inside and shoot. He’s not actually amazing with his weaker foot, but at Newcastle, with gayle up top its rare that crosses come from the wide forwards. Instead them come from overlapping fullbacks, or deeper cross field balls from Shelvey when he drifts.
    Palace under allardyce (anyone under allardyce) also play a variation of 4-2-3-1/4-3-3 but with 2, sometimes 3 defensive midfielders. With the big man uptop, and no creativity in the middle, he likes his wingers to hit the byline and whip crosses in, keepin Width. Really not townsends game who is a wide player who’s goals will always outweigh his assists! In modern day English football, which is far more technical/tactical than it used to be, essentially what Allardyce wants/needs for his tactics is a winger. A keith Gillespie if you will.. Townsend is what you call an Inside Wide Forward. Same position as a winger from start but completely different type of player which fits into Benitez’ tactics perfectly, but makes the player a liability under Allardyces tactics.
    Whether anyone rates him or not, he flourished under rafa before because of these points, for me, If we sign him now, I think he’ll get 8-10 goals and guarantee promotion! This league is dire (seen enough of it to make that judgement now) and Townsend will pee on it. Twice the player of Knockeart and Knockeart is possibly the best winger down here. If we miss out , im not bothered about him in the summer because I would hope we’d sign better as a EPL club. Currently we have to sign for the job at hand though (the championship) and Townsend would be huge!

• mindshaft

Jan 23, 2017 at 12:47 PM

Excellent buy for 3 million and dare I say it probably better than Mitro, not sure Murphy will still be around next season if we’re promoted but he can do a good job for us in championship

• Bobbybee

Jan 23, 2017 at 12:50 PM

Been impressed with Murphy every game he’s played. A proper handful for defenders, which creates space for others. I have no problem with him standing in for Gayle, he’s doing a great job.

Expat, get your point mate, but there’s room for both players imo. Anyway, nobody is pushing Ritchie so it wouldn’t hurt. Two players fighting hard for one place is only good for one thing – the team! 🙂 Tbf, he worked his socks off for us and he left for football reasons imo. I would’ve done the same at any other club than Newcastle – where I’d happily spend my entire career, being a fan. Anywhere else, I’d put my England career first every time. Rafa wants him and he’s clearly a player he can get the best from. He’ll get us promoted and really, that’s all that matters. Don’t think I’m insensitive though, I do fully understand why people aren’t keen. I genuinely see their point, I just don’t agree that’s all. Promotion is all that bothers me and playing for Rafa, he could run havoc in this league. Our own version of Knockeart. Who, in fairness, I’d take over Andros if he was available. Rafa wants him mate, what more can we say?

• jayphoto

Jan 23, 2017 at 12:50 PM

Not sure Murphy is an unlikely hero?…
    His goal record at this level is very good, for me, I notice than whenever I’ve spoken to fans from Murphy’s previous clubs, Ipswich, sunderland, Irish fans etc they really like the guy. Works his ass off. Strong, quick for a bigger guy. As a 3rd choice striker (though he looks handier than Mitro if we’re honest) hes a clear example of our squad strength! Ipswich have fallen apart without him! Very shrewd signing for this season!

• WWSBRD

Jan 23, 2017 at 12:51 PM

Another thing on Townsend what Championship club would turn him down? Brighton, who are our closest rivals, would have him in a heartbeat if they could…I cant think of a team that wouldnt

• martoon

Jan 23, 2017 at 12:51 PM

I must admit I can’t remember him playing for the makems but I’m sure Ed is right. He was actually my MotM last Saturday because I thought he held the ball up well, produced lots of great flick-ons and of course broke the deadlock with the first goal.

• Clematis

Jan 23, 2017 at 12:52 PM

Townsend can also play #10.

Imagine a front 6 of:

Shelvey – Diame

Ritchie – Townsend – Atsu

Gayle

(In a 4231) And also the three switching play.

Marvellous.

• jayphoto

Jan 23, 2017 at 12:52 PM

The fact Ritchie can probably play anywhere across the midfield or behind a striker probably helps him! Reckon he’d look good behind a striker linking attack to midfield myself… can’t do worse than Diame had been to be fair.
    Similarly, Perez looks a much better player wide.. even when hes a 10 his moments of impact seem to come from when he’s drifted wide

• expatmag

Jan 23, 2017 at 12:55 PM

Bobby

Time will tell. 8 days left, isnt it?

Off to bed. Getting late here

• mindshaft

Jan 23, 2017 at 12:57 PM

To be honest I think Mitro will be surplus to requirements next season

• expatmag

Jan 23, 2017 at 12:58 PM

Mindshaft

Agreed. Sold and replaced by Wilson

• Bobbybee

Jan 23, 2017 at 1:00 PM

Jay, you could see how much he enjoyed that goal on Saturday mate. I could see his smile from the other end! Big hearted player, never stops running or wanting the ball. Pulls defenders around more than Mitro, creating holes in the box for the likes of Ritchie to exploit. As you say, great signing that surprised most of us if we’re honest. Rafa showing his nous.

• archaeomag

Jan 23, 2017 at 1:00 PM

@jayphoto
    re; Townsend – thanks – very good analysis.

We have to get used to the idea that Raffa likes 2 players for each position – Townsend +/or Richie,

& I’d take Knockeart too!

• expatmag

Jan 23, 2017 at 1:02 PM

Decided to stay up a bit longer

In tbe summer

Out……Mitrovic Dejong Tiote Saviet Krul Haidara Vukic Ameobi Sels Riviere

In……Atsu Wilson Shaw Hughes Tadic

• Bobbybee

Jan 23, 2017 at 1:02 PM

Right, g’night over there. Sleep tight you Aussie fans. Hopefully wake up to a new signing. 🙂

• expatmag

Jan 23, 2017 at 1:06 PM

WWS

Do you really think Townsend would consider any other chsmpionship team including Brighton?

I doubt it very much.

• WWSBRD

Jan 23, 2017 at 1:09 PM

expat
    Of course he wouldn’t he’s a PL winger