Here’s A Prediction Of A Very Bright Future For Newcastle United

Sky Sports pundit Andy Walker has been talking on the Sky Sports News’ Premier League Daily show and he thinks Newcastle will definitely get promoted this season under Rafa Benitez.

That’s not unusual for a pundit and after Brighton’s 1-0 win last night at home to Cardiff City, manager Neil Warnock also said that Brighton and Newcastle would easily secure the two automatic promotion slots in the Championship this season.

When you consider goal difference,  Brighton are 12 points ahead of 3rd placed Reading and Newcastle are 10 points about the Royals.

Andy Walker – Sky Sports pundit

This is what Warnock said after the 1-0 Brighton win at the Amex Studium last night:

“I think the top two can lose four or five and still go up. The other teams below are going to lose games, you forget about that really.”

51 year-old Glasgow-born Andy Walker is a former striker for Celtic and he has gone even further and said and thinks Newcastle will not only do well this season, but will do well in the Premier League and be backed financially by owner Mike Ashley.

This is some of what Andy has said:

“I think Newcastle and Brighton are nailed on for the top two places,”

“Every time you go to St James’ Park, you feel this weight of expectation.”  “The level of support they get is just extraordinary – they are still getting around 50,000 every game.”

“Matt Ritchie is a player who I think can do it for them whether it is in the Premier League or the Championship, I think he has been a quality signing.”

“Daryl Murphy is scoring goals at the minute, and maybe he isn’t one who can do it in the Premier League, but he can certainly score goals to get them there.”

“With that squad Newcastle have to overcome all of the hurdles they have in front of them between now and the end of the season.”

“They will obviously want to win the title but to get promotion, that is the key, and then I’m sure Benitez will get the funds required to make an impact in the Premier League.”

We certainly hope that’s true, but with everything that has happened over the last two seasons at Newcastle – mostly one disaster after another – we are still just a little bit nervous.

However, if we are promoted we do think Rafa will improve the side considerably in the summer and that he will be helped by owner Mike Ashley and Managing Director Lee Charnley.

They will make big money available to the impressive  Newcastle manager – who is undoubtedly world-class – once they are sure we are back in the big time and the big money of the Premier League.

If we are promoted it will be an exciting for Newcastle fans this summer – that’s for sure.

What do you think?

• lochinvar

Jan 25, 2017 at 3:21 PM

All this talk of helicopters is negative waves man.
    If the Swansea lad Jefferson signs he’ll fly in his own Airplane.

Groovy

• Bobbybee

Jan 25, 2017 at 3:28 PM

Lochinver, 🙂 Very sharp. This is my whole point. Save the money for when we go up. We’ll have a much wider option base then.

• Bobbybee

Jan 25, 2017 at 3:33 PM

Continued as I accidently pressed submit… players will come to us more readily in the PL. Better players. The choice will be much greater. Saving now will prove to be a wiser move. It just makes more sense. Ashley won’t present an open chequebook, that much is, sure. Rafa needs to spend wisely and so far he’s done that. All I’m saying is trust the guy. We’re in safe hands.

• stuart no9

Jan 25, 2017 at 3:36 PM

Any one know if these loan signings and not outright purchasing is a tactical move by the club or that Ashley refuses to spend while still in the championship ?? Is he getting back to his old ways agsin ?

• DubaiMicky

Jan 25, 2017 at 3:36 PM

Well said Bobbybee, I’ve been saying exactly the same for ages. Now, get those two Croatians could be an exception, but they won’t come until the summer – maybe do a deal that when we get promoted we buy them for x, if no promotion no deal.

It’s all bollocks and it’ll never work anyway.

• Bobbybee

Jan 25, 2017 at 3:51 PM

Stuart, after the ‘meeting’ Rafa was asked about the situation. It’s probably still available somewhere, if you ask Jib nicely he’ll produce it like magic. His reply was that nothing has changed. He called it a cheeky question, which my interpretation was ‘why even ask?’ Transfers are his job. Some people see it differently, but I’m happy to take Rafa’s word on that. My earlier post gives my interpretation of the situation. There’s zero indication that Ashley has stopped Rafa buying players from what Rafa has said.

• Essex Geordie Bill

Jan 25, 2017 at 3:53 PM

I wouldn’t be surprised if Rafa and Ashley aren’t playing transfer poker together and staring out the likes of Pardew.

If we get Townsend in on the last day as Pardew has panicked, we’ll know, or at least be able to form a very strong opinion about it.

• Bobbybee

Jan 25, 2017 at 3:54 PM

Mickey, those Croatians would be nice, but they seem to have unlimited options and whilst we’re down here, the chances of getting them are virtually zero mate. Next season? Who knows?

• Bobbybee

Jan 25, 2017 at 3:55 PM

Bill, Pardew? 🙂

• lesh

Jan 25, 2017 at 4:04 PM

Lochinvar

Or even arrive in his very own Starship.

😉

• reilly

Jan 25, 2017 at 4:05 PM

lets hope the talks between Rafa and Ashley at the training ground today were good ones.

• YoungMagpieFromBurnley

Jan 25, 2017 at 4:06 PM

So who are the three teams to be promoted this season? Newcastle, Brighton and Leeds for me.

And who are the three to go down from the premier league? Sunderland, Swansea and Crystal palace.

• lesh

Jan 25, 2017 at 4:08 PM

Reilly

Has Ashley been to Benton today?

• Ibizatoon

Jan 25, 2017 at 4:09 PM

reilly…Where has that been reported?

• WWSBRD

Jan 25, 2017 at 4:11 PM

stuart
    No one knows mate could be either really there’s no proof either way so just down to opinions at this point

• Bobbybee

Jan 25, 2017 at 4:11 PM

We just need to keep winning games. We have the team to do it and certainly the manager. As long as we do our business, it doesn’t matter what others do. If Leeds win tonight, they go third. It’s like musical chairs beneath us and will probably stay that way. The top two places are all that matter and we’re on course to take one of those – hopefully the top one. If we get anybody else in, great. If not, we should surely have enough. Brighton are more susceptible to danger if they get injuries, because as good as their first eleven is – and it is good and well balanced – their overall squad isn’t as good. We all trusted Rafa before this window opened, I don’t see what’s changed now.

• reilly

Jan 25, 2017 at 4:12 PM

my mate lives next to the training ground.was there about an hour.

• WWSBRD

Jan 25, 2017 at 4:12 PM

reilly
    Didn’t u say yesterday that there was trouble between Ashley and Rafa?

• Essex Geordie Bill

Jan 25, 2017 at 4:14 PM

Bobby

Delete Pardew insert Sam. 🙂

• Mister Tuff

Jan 25, 2017 at 4:14 PM

What has King Percy got to do with the current “reported” talks with Palace.

• Mister Tuff

Jan 25, 2017 at 4:15 PM

Ah I see it has been corrected.

• hibbit

Jan 25, 2017 at 4:16 PM

reilly
    you keep making these headline statements but never back them up
    like the one yesterday now another today !!!

• Oldgit1

Jan 25, 2017 at 4:16 PM

Can’t understand why we don’t just buy Judge, alright I know he is recovering from a broken leg, but the timescale for recovery was for Feb. For £600 k it wouldn’t break the bank and we could end up with cover for Shelvy for the finale run in. I’m sure it will be a lot cheaper than loaning players.

• Bobbybee

Jan 25, 2017 at 4:22 PM

WWSBRD, you’re right mate. I’m just putting it across as I view it. I could be wrong of course, because nobody really knows, but I think what I’m saying has more going for it for the reasons I put. We’ll know for sure if Rafa walks and if not, then nothing has changed. Time will tell.

• hibbit

Jan 25, 2017 at 4:24 PM

Oldgit1
    I read somewhere on sunday that Judge has fallen behind in his recovery and is now not expected to be match fit till the end of February
    not sure how true this is but it was in one of the sunday papers

• WWSBRD

Jan 25, 2017 at 4:26 PM

Bobby
    I’d say we will find out the truth in 10-20 years when Rafa brings out a book I just hope the Newcastle chapter is a long and successful one

• Bobbybee

Jan 25, 2017 at 4:30 PM

Oldgit1 Judge is a good player, but it was a nasty injury. It could easily break down again during his return to fitness. What you say makes good sense at that price, but I can’t see Rafa buying a player until he knows for sure he’s 100% fit. Once he’s fit I think we’ll buy him mate. I think he’s good enough to step up.

• hibbit

Jan 25, 2017 at 4:30 PM

Oldgit1
    the original prognosis was for the end of december

• Oldgit1

Jan 25, 2017 at 4:30 PM

@ Hibbit , thanks for that mate.

Now off to attend the under 18 s match at Eppleton ground. Any young uns I should be looking out for?
    I’m taking my grandbairn and his football mates so looks like in a taxi driver for the next hour or so.
    What we do to keep our kids interested in football.

• Bobbybee

Jan 25, 2017 at 4:31 PM

WWSBRD Amen to that mate. 🙂

• ShirebrookToon

Jan 25, 2017 at 4:31 PM

What time was Ashley at the training ground today?

• Ibizatoon

Jan 25, 2017 at 4:33 PM

Peter Odemwingie has sided with Payet over his stance for a move out of West Ham, citing that fans show no loyalty to players once a team decides to offload them.

My first feeling is that fans loyalty is to the club, not the players, much like the players loyalty should be to the club, not the fans directly (it’s more a consequence, than a direct loyalty to the fans, imo).

Then I think on about players earning fans loyalty, or even managers. Chris Houghton is a great example of this, the club decided they didn’t want him, but a lot of us have remained loyal to him, whilst still obviously supporting our club.

Maybe Peter needs to think about earning some loyalty. Payet certainly does.

Mind, saying all of that, I think West Ham would be mad not to accept the £25m apparently being offered for him. Whether it’s right or wrong, it’s clear he doesn’t want to be there and that isn’t a bad value for the player.

• Bobbybee

Jan 25, 2017 at 4:33 PM

Got to go. Taxi required. 🙁 Maybe catch ya’ll later.

• hibbit

Jan 25, 2017 at 4:39 PM

ShirebrookToon
    not sure he was mate
    nowt in the chronicle or on radio newcastle
    reilly likes folk to think he’s ITK but never backs it up

• Tsunki

Jan 25, 2017 at 4:58 PM

Odemwingie talking about loyalty? Hmm.

• Ibizatoon

Jan 25, 2017 at 5:03 PM

Tsunki…Aye, why should players be loyal when fans don’t mind when players get upgraded.

Because that’s what their contract states, perhaps?

• Ron Knee

Jan 25, 2017 at 5:07 PM

The window still has over six days to run.

• bettyswallocks

Jan 25, 2017 at 5:19 PM

I think that there has probably been a discussion along the lines of us looking at players that will at worst retain their value as oppose to buying more players that are past their sell by date.

Now that we look like comfortably winning promotion with a fairly strong squad , it probably makes sense to buy players that will fit in next season as there will need to be another big restructuring job in the summer and we don’t actually have any players to sell that will be in big demand.

• Belfast

Jan 25, 2017 at 5:30 PM

Brighton will not drop out of the top two. They’ve only lost 5 in 53 games or something ridiculous like that.

We shouldn’t either although I think it depends on Shelvey being fit from here on in for us.

You could probably argue it’s the same for them with Knockart, but I think they have a few more creative outlets than us and would probably handle his absence a lot better than we would with Shelvey.

• Ibizatoon

Jan 25, 2017 at 5:37 PM

Betty…I agree that we should only really be looking at players that can form part of our PL squad next season.

I’d say it’s possibly worth paying that bit extra now too, if it gives Rafa half a season extra to integrate them.