Still No Good News For Newcastle This Morning

We are still trying to get Andros Townsend or Modou Barrow in as one of Rafa’s priorities this month – a winger – but it seems that both are proving to be very difficult for Newcastle.

Pete Graves of Sky Sports believes Crystal Palace will still need Townsend this season, unless they sign another winger and the valuation on Barrow by Swansea is too high.

Not a good way to start off the day – but things can only get better.

That’s right isn’t it?

24 year-old Modou Barrow of Swansea – valuation too high

Not sure whether current valuation for Barrow is for a straight transfer or a loan, but it’s probably the fee we would have to pay in the summer if we make the loan deal permanent.

Rafa also wants a central midfielder brought in and if we are to believe yesterday’s news Newcastle are still working on bringing in James McCarthy of Everton who Rafa wants as a long term midfield partnership with Jonjo Shelvey.

James would be a great signing for us – if we can get him.

So there doesn’t seem too much that has changed overnight on the transfer front for Newcastle – still no good news for Newcastle.

There’s now only just over five days to go before the window slams shut, so this thing could go down to the wire.

Newcastle really need to get a winger and central midfielder though the door before 11:00 pm Tuesday night.

• catchy in norway

Jan 26, 2017 at 8:07 AM

3 MINUTES ago the door was open, hmmmm

• sholasupporter

Jan 26, 2017 at 8:14 AM

Why are we only going after right sided wingers? The left hand side is our problem position.
    Would love to see McCarthy brought in but I’m not optimistic!
    No more talk of a No 10 either which is another weak area

• sholasupporter

Jan 26, 2017 at 8:16 AM

Surely we should have been in for either Snodgrass or Brady. Both offer something we lack, crossing ability and neither have gone to ‘big clubs’ for big fees

• G

Jan 26, 2017 at 8:17 AM

@2, still not so sure over McCarthy to be honest. He isn’t a bad player by any means, but he doesn’t excite me as a fan either. The only time he has stood out in a match for me, was when he was at Wigan and playing against Manyoo Rooney elbowed him, and he took a lot of grief from his peers for staying on his feet! The general feeling was, that if he had went down, Rooney would have seen the red card. For me that’s commendable that he didn’t make a meal of it.

• sholasupporter

Jan 26, 2017 at 8:19 AM

He is not an ‘exciting’ player, I agree. However he is a major upgrade on Colback and probably hayden to an extent. Offers much more defensively than Shelvey which could free up Jonjo to play a bit further up the pitch

• Jib

Jan 26, 2017 at 8:22 AM

G
    It was from the Spanish equivalent of red-tops so could be guff.
    😀

• ShirebrookToon

Jan 26, 2017 at 8:24 AM

No news is good news, so to speak!

• getoutofworeclub

Jan 26, 2017 at 8:27 AM

When Rafa came in even though we went down I believed things would change but now I think its back to square one I read on here all the time but hardly post and here people posting Rafa No’s what he is doing keeping money till the summer well i think its all lies its all starting over again Ashley will screw Rafa over and he will walk come the summer all ash is bothered about is getting back in the prem for the TV money am sick of the lies I reckon pardrew will be back in the summer after Rafa walks remember it wasn’t love long ago that we were told lots of money to spend it Jan Ashley will never change and as of that I won’t renew my season ticket for next season

• catchy in norway

Jan 26, 2017 at 8:30 AM

if any of you are into watching movies, i watched a film hidded figures last, it was a great film,

• LGFUAD21

Jan 26, 2017 at 8:30 AM

Would much rather we just went for Brady. I reckon we could’ve got him.

Decent premier league player, young-ish and very versatile

• G

Jan 26, 2017 at 8:31 AM

@6, thanks for clarifying Jib.

• Jib

Jan 26, 2017 at 8:32 AM

Alan Judge posted this the day before Brentford played the Toon

• getoutofworeclub

Jan 26, 2017 at 8:32 AM

I mean work it out we r only after loan deals not wanting to spend any money its a joke I mean it mite go all pear cheaped and don’t go up anything could happen prepare for the worst is what I say let down after let down since Ashley has been here we all should be used to this by now but deep down it still hurts nothing will change till he goes I really hope am wrong about all this but things don’t add up

• Toonale tippler

Jan 26, 2017 at 8:33 AM

This window is all about timing. Selling clubs value players too high at the start of the window hoping for panic buys. Buying clubs are now used to this and just wait until the last minute for better deals. We will get at least two good new signings and go up as champions.

• expatmag

Jan 26, 2017 at 8:37 AM

Aye….why are you lot surprised?

Fully expect a surprise late on the 31st

No new signings permanent
    No new signings on loan
    Shelvey sold
    Rafa resignation in protest

• G

Jan 26, 2017 at 8:40 AM

Good grief, is everybody’s glass half empty today? I’m still fairly happy about things, and as long as nobody key gets sold before the end of the window, I reckon we are good to go. Yes I would like more bodies in the team, however, I feel we are in pretty good shape as things are.

• firebug666

Jan 26, 2017 at 8:40 AM

I understand folks getting frustrated over the transfer window, but all we can do is speculate over the speculation (or downright lies) printed in the press.

Rafa does not want to do any permanent deals in this window, as he does not want to be lumbered with players when we go up, he will need the space to change the squad for the prem. Loans are the best option.

The other thing is, we don’t NEED to bring anyone in, we have enough now to secure promotion, players are stepping up and getting better all the time, whoever does come in (if any do) they will only be back up to what we have, and get the occasional game through Rafa’s rotation system. Also we still have the lads to come back from the AFCON.

My point is things are not as gloomy as some people may think.

• Jib

Jan 26, 2017 at 8:41 AM

getoutofworeclub

deep down it still hurts

Do you write for MIlls and Boon ?

Get a grip and man up – our manager is Rafael Benitez Maudes

Coppa Italia: 2013–14
    Supercoppa Italiana: 2014

Individual awards

La Liga Best Coach: 2002
    UEFA Manager of the Year: 2003–04, 2004–05
    LMA Special Merit Award: 2006
    Premier League Manager of the Month (6): November 2005, December 2005, January 2007, October 2008, March 2009, April 2013
    Football League Championship Manager of the Month (1): October 2016

• getoutofworeclub

Jan 26, 2017 at 8:42 AM

Toonale we won’t spend any money infact no one will come in like I said before a statement will come out and say we just couldn’t get them over the line to be honest I would rather Rafa would just come out and tell the truth and say we aint got no money to spend be the better man which I thought he was instead of being another yes man things don’t add up

• hibbit

Jan 26, 2017 at 8:42 AM

expatmag

ya guessing just like us
    none of us have a clue !!!

• getoutofworeclub

Jan 26, 2017 at 8:45 AM

I no who Rafa came is but just because he is a great manager doesn’t mean ash can’t screw him over and if that’s what he is doing then rafa needs to be the better man and walk I would think much more of him then just taken it and being a yes man and lying to the fan I mean this is mike Ashley we r talking about here man jib

• firebug666

Jan 26, 2017 at 8:49 AM

getoutofworeclub

Rafa has said that nothing has changed.
    He also said that the only contact he has had with Ashley is through Lee Charnley.

Ashley has taken a step back from the club and left it to Charnley and his staff to run.

Time for you to take a chill pill and relax.

The squad we have now is ten times better than the squad that took us down, and we have a world class manager ffs.

• ToonMatt

Jan 26, 2017 at 8:52 AM

Rafa is no fool? When he negotiated his contract didn’t he have his lawyer present and got every thing written up IE transfer window budgets etc so He could not get screwed by Ashley?

• getoutofworeclub

Jan 26, 2017 at 8:55 AM

My point injuries suspensions any of them with not bringing any 1 in is a massive risk but Ashley likes to gamble maybe am only going on like this is cos being a toon fan with Ashley running it is like waiting for him to smash wore dreams again but all am saying is if shelvey goes out again we will struggle we look nothing with out him am not saying we aint got any other good players just they all go to pop without him so if we don’t buy another 2 players it mite go all wrong

• DubaiMicky

Jan 26, 2017 at 9:00 AM

@ToomMatt, of course he can get screwed, it would mean that Ashley would have to pay his contract off, that is all. BUT, and it’s a BIG BUT, why would Ashley as a very successful business man, even consider wrecking a big part of his Empire?

It doesn’t make sense.

• hibbit

Jan 26, 2017 at 9:02 AM

firebug666
    is the glass half or half empty
    the gloom merchants aren’t the folk that go to games our even go round the city
    there not picking up on the atmosphere the massive pluses Rafa has introduced the pleasure of going to games again
    i dont hear any of these petty snide little comments at games or the continuous whining that happens on here we all have players we would like to sign but deals are difficult in january for all sorts of reasons
    the window is still open deals can still be done but if there not it not the end of the world we still have a strong solid team and Rafa as manager

• getoutofworeclub

Jan 26, 2017 at 9:03 AM

I hope u r rite just to me it dosent look good I really think Ashley will balls it up for Rafa he did it we Keegan he mite do it to rafa end of the day contract or not rafa will stay till summer take us up and jump ship he could walk into any job and we will end up with a donkey manager maybe even pardrew hence why I was saying dont build your hopes up yet nothing surprises me Any more with Ashley

• getoutofworeclub

Jan 26, 2017 at 9:16 AM

I just need to post this one last thing just say we don’t spend any more this Jan or get any loan deals in yet we still go up come the sumer say we only sign the 2 players we needed in Jan do u think that’s acceptably and do u think that team will keep us in the prem comments welcome my view on this is we will come straight back down even under rafa I mean let’s be realistic about this we only have 3 to 4 players in that team that maybe just maybe that r good enough for the prem and just say that happens rafa will be gone long before Jan so it won’t mean to keep rafa Ashley will have to spend big in summer and I can’t see this happening every 1 is saying rafa only built this team for this league yes in his head but not Ashley I think then we will see if Ashley is backing rafa which I don’t think he will but let’s hope am wrong