Newcastle have reportedly made a bid to sign Brazilian midfielder Gabriel Appelt Pires, who joined Spanish club Leganes from Juventus last August having spent the previous season on loan there.
The 23 year-old has been impressive at Leganes and he helped the club get promoted to La Liga last season and they are currently placed 17th in the Spanish top league.
The news comes from Sky Italy journalist Gianluca Di Marzio and he has put on both his Twitter account and his web-site that Newcastle have put in a formal bid for the player.
23 year-old playmaker Gabriel Appelt Pires
Gabriel has so far played 60 times for Leganes with 10 goals and 5 assists and here’s the tweet and article from Gianluca Di Marzio.
— Gianluca Di Marzio (@DiMarzio) January 26, 2017
It basically says Newcastle Presents an offer for Appelt Pires.
Newcastle have made an offer for the 6ft 1ins tall midfielder and the Spanish club, bsed in Madrid, are said to be considering it – so this is a big surprise, but we have to think that Rafa must rate this young player if the news is accurate.
Pires has scored two goals and one assist in 20 appearances for Leganes this season and his contract still has 30 months to run until June 2019.
Not sure what this says about Newcastle’s pursuit of Everton’s James McCarthy, but it could mean we are now turning to other targets at least for the January transfer window.
There’s no reason we couldn’t pursue both McCarthy and Townsend in the summer if we are back in the Premier League again.