Oxford Manager’s Positive Words On Newcastle Fall Flat

The Oxford win over Newcastle yesterday shows just why the FA Cup is so liked in England – but it sucks when you are on the wrong end of a shocking defeat – once again.

Newcastle were good in the first half and should have been ahead – maybe the game could have been over and missing the penalty in the second half didn’t help.

But based on Oxford’s dominance, persistence and passion in that second half they deserved to win the game and the 3-0 score-line was extremely embarrassing to say the least.

Oxford players look happy in second half

This was the greatest win in Oxford manager Michael Appleton’s management career and as you would expect he was really upbeat after the game.

This is some of what Michael said:

“The fact they made the changes doesn’t detract from what we’ve achieved.” “Having watched the Birmingham game back, I knew the quality they’ve got.”

“You only have to look at what they had on the bench – Rafa might disagree, but I think they’ve got a Premier League squad.”

“If that side was plying its trade in the Premier League, in terms of the squad and what he’s got available, I do believe they would be in the top half of the Premier League.”

“When they get there this season, I expect them to be contesting in the top half of the Premier League next season.”

“For me personally, beating Newcastle is probably a bigger achievement than it was beating Arsenal in the fifth round at the Emirates with Blackburn.”

“Even though we’re still the only team to do it in Arsene Wenger’s reign.”

“We’re delighted we’re in the last 16.” “It’s a fantastic achievement for the club.”

Well I guess we made everybody associated with Oxford very happy yesterday – but Michael’s comments on our squad fall flat after such a dreadful defeat.

But Rafa will need to look at some of the players who didn’t show up in that second half and as we’ve said before, Rafa will have another huge clear out of players this summer as he tries to further improve the squad.

What happened yesterday is evidence it needs to be strengthened.

Some of the players who didn’t turn up yesterday in those final 45 minutes could also find themselves leaving Newcastle this summer.

What do you think?

• YoungMagpieFromBurnley

Jan 29, 2017 at 12:50 PM

This team would be fighting against the drop if we go up. It is definately not the finished article. Gayle is an unknown quantity in that league and Shelvey is our best player by a mile. One that was struggling with Swansea last season. We need players if we are to compete in that league alone.

• Mag52

Jan 29, 2017 at 12:55 PM

‘I think they’ve got a premier league squad’. I don’t think so Michael Appleton !

• Essex Geordie Bill

Jan 29, 2017 at 1:01 PM

Well I for one am not going to lose any sleep over this, imagine being a LPool fan, much more humiliating.

The cup will always produce shocks and to be fair this wasn’t too much of a shock given that this team was hoyed together.

I listened to the first half on the radio and my impression was that we were (again) creating chances but not taking them with the main offender being Mitro, falling over his own feet with one of them.

I see that El-Mhanni is being voted as MOM for us with Barlaser in 4th place. Not having seen the game other than the MOTD highlights, perhaps someone who saw the game give more insight into performances.

I also see than Mitro’s family have cast votes once again, from what I’ve seen, heard and read I can’t understand how he got any. I’m not an anti- Mitronist but still need convincing he’s the answer long term to our scoring needs.

By the way both Armstrong and Toney scored great goals yesterday, pity neihter of them were available.

I’ll stop there as I can see the bus doors closing so I’ll post this before (hopefully) they do.

• WWSBRD

Jan 29, 2017 at 1:01 PM

We are no worse off than a few PL teams and we have a better manager than most of them

• Legolas

Jan 29, 2017 at 1:03 PM

God help a few on here if we get promoted a lose a few games. They will be demanding Rafa to walk. It’s going to take a little time. We won’t win the premier league next season. Just so some on here understand.

• WWSBRD

Jan 29, 2017 at 1:05 PM

Heck Leicester won the league with a team that should of been facing relegation

• Jail for Ashley

Jan 29, 2017 at 1:06 PM

Ffs man, how many times do we have to hear this team would struggle in the PL, it is not in the Prem and won’t be when we get there in May, nor will we have to spend 100’s of million pounds either to survive, did Soton, Swansea, Watford or Bournemouth spend 100M when they got promoted.

• Moonraker15

Jan 29, 2017 at 1:18 PM

Of course we would struggle in the PL with this squad but it is the best squad in the championship and that’s why Rafa put it together; you can’t get PL quality when you’re in this league and you need to spend when you go up!
    One thing I must say is when you look at the shambles Rafa inherited how can anyone be moaning about the situation. Please just thank heavens we have Rafa cos without him we’d be heading for division 1
    Howay the Lads let’s get promoted! That’s the priority!