As far as we know Newcastle are still keen to bring in at least two players to the club before Tuesday night and the three we know about are Andros Townsend of Crystal Palace, James McCarthy of Everton and Modou Barrow of Swansea.
There was some potentially good news last night in the Mail that we had bid £16M for McCarthy and that Everton turned that bid down, but news in the Chronicle today suggests that no bid has been made by Newcastle – as far as they know.
The potential deal went against everything we have been told over the last week or so – that Newcastle want loan deals with options or obligations to buy in the summer.
James McCarthy – Ireland International playmaker
If we can get two of them of the three in before Tuesday night would be good business, but of the three James McCarthy has to be the priority signing.
Otherwise if Jonjo Shelvey is missing then we have proved we have nobody who can fill in for him, after we won only two of the five games Jonjo missed through suspension – and the team looked average in most of those games..
And it seems Rafa is a little worried that some key players may be injured as he said after the game yesterday that was one reason he had to use the full squad yesterday in the FA Cup loss at Oxford United.
The defeat didn’t do much good for anybody associated with Newcastle, other than it may have focused the minds of those at the top that maybe some of our fringe players are not good enough if called upon through the end of the season.
If Lee Charnley and company are not working feverishly to get James McCarthy or another talented central midfielder like Tom Cairney of Fulham in before Tuesday night – they should be,.
What do you think?