Update: This Player Is Newcastle’s Highest Priority This Month

As far as we know Newcastle are still keen to bring in at least two players to the club before Tuesday night and the three we know about are Andros Townsend of Crystal Palace, James McCarthy of Everton and Modou Barrow of Swansea.

There was some potentially good news last night in the Mail that we had bid £16M for McCarthy and that Everton turned that bid down,  but news in the Chronicle today suggests that no bid has been made by Newcastle – as far as they know.

The potential deal went against everything we have been told over the last week or so – that Newcastle want loan deals with options or obligations to buy in the summer.

James McCarthy – Ireland International playmaker

If we can get two of them of the three in before Tuesday night would be good business, but of the three James McCarthy has to be the priority signing.

Otherwise if Jonjo Shelvey is missing then we have proved we have nobody who can fill in for him, after we won only two of the five games Jonjo missed through suspension – and the team looked average in most of those games..

And it seems Rafa is a little worried that some key players may be injured as he said after the game yesterday that was one reason he had to use the full squad yesterday in the FA Cup loss at Oxford United.

The defeat didn’t do much good for anybody associated with Newcastle, other than it may have focused the minds of those at the top that maybe some of our fringe players are not good enough if called upon through the end of the season.

If Lee Charnley and company are not working feverishly to get James McCarthy or another talented central midfielder like Tom Cairney of Fulham in before Tuesday night – they should be,.

What do you think?

• Essex Geordie Bill

Jan 29, 2017 at 1:17 PM

Yep they were closing.

Essex Geordie Bill // Jan 29, 2017 at 1:01 PM

Well I for one am not going to lose any sleep over this, imagine being a LPool fan, much more humiliating.

The cup will always produce shocks and to be fair this wasn’t too much of a shock given that this team was hoyed together.

I listened to the first half on the radio and my impression was that we were (again) creating chances but not taking them with the main offender being Mitro, falling over his own feet with one of them.

I see that El-Mhanni is being voted as MOM for us with Barlaser in 4th place. Not having seen the game other than the MOTD highlights, perhaps someone who saw the game give more insight into performances.

I also see than Mitro’s family have cast votes once again, from what I’ve seen, heard and read I can’t understand how he got any. I’m not an anti- Mitronist but still need convincing he’s the answer long term to our scoring needs.

By the way both Armstrong and Toney scored great goals yesterday, pity neihter of them were available.

I’ll stop there as I can see the bus doors closing so I’ll post this before (hopefully) they do.

• Clematis

Jan 29, 2017 at 1:20 PM

There has not been one proven Sky link that shows we’re in for McCarthy…so why has there been any number of ‘news’ updates on this site regarding this player?

Although he’s a good player his states are not an improvement on Colback’s.

We need pure pace in the team hence we need Townsend who can alternate with Ritchie on the flanks or play the number 10 role.

That’ll do me til we get promoted.

• TyneMouth

Jan 29, 2017 at 1:23 PM

No,No, and 16 million times No…

• Essex Geordie Bill

Jan 29, 2017 at 1:25 PM

I think the fringe players are good enough but not if they are hoyed en-masse into a game.

If we fail to get promotion with this squad as it stands I will astounded and gutted.

• toon kk

Jan 29, 2017 at 1:27 PM

I thought we had strength in depth? There’s NO evidence of that, without cirtain key players we are a very poor side. Millions are getting wasted at our club.

• yorkymag

Jan 29, 2017 at 1:31 PM

Yes yes and 16 million more yes

• WWSBRD

Jan 29, 2017 at 1:32 PM

toon kk
    Millions are getting wasted at our club? Who are we going to make a loss on? Murphy is thew only one I can think of

• jazzyp

Jan 29, 2017 at 1:33 PM

Essex

Do you think Rafa will hang around if we fail this season to win promotion

• Belfast

Jan 29, 2017 at 1:33 PM

Hopefully it’s bollox. Agree that signing Townsend or similar player is far more important. Diame in the deeper role and Townsend no 10 would do nicely.

• nufc 11

Jan 29, 2017 at 1:40 PM

McCarthy is no playmaker he is an upgrade on colback but 16 million is outrageous money. I’d rather Harry Arthur at half the money. 13 million on Townsend would buy Brady instead who could also play Lb if needed an more consistent than Townsend who is very hot and cold.

• OneAlanShearer

Jan 29, 2017 at 1:42 PM

Rafa is the manager I’ve always wanted. He leaves nothing uncovered. So if we go into the 2nd half of the season without the balance he wants you can guarantee it’s not what rafa wanted. It doesn’t take a genius to work out why. Back him now. What they probably don’t realie is if they don’t back rafa what other decent manager would join us. A huge window for us. It could determine the next 5 years. Rafa wants to build so build. Gambling on what we have is the old regime. Only one way that turns out.

• toon kk

Jan 29, 2017 at 1:43 PM

WWSBRD
    Would you pay 15 million for Mitro for a start? What has he done at Newcastle? Apart for being a flops.
    We may make money on some, but are they good enough to move us forward?
    Without Gayle, Richie and Shelvey where do you think we’d be at in the championship table now?

• OneAlanShearer

Jan 29, 2017 at 1:44 PM

I like mccarthy. I agree 16 is far too much though.

• Laurent Robert 32

Jan 29, 2017 at 1:45 PM

Toon kk, we’re comfortably in a top 2 place and Rafa switches players now and then in like-for-like positions. If you need me to describe the players he switches, you’re not being very attentive. ‘In depth’ is a subjective term, but we do have good options for this level.

We have Blackburn’s former captain as back up, along with M’Bemba who has played very well in the Premier League games. A Chelsea loan player is strengthening the flanks. Yedlin has played very well at times when involved and Anita likewise under Rafa. Colback plays a similar role to Hayden and Diame or Perez in Number ten. Mitro and Murphy as forwards (plus Gouff).

A lot of our like-for-like alternates are better than other teams’ first players. Going by that, I’d say we do have a pretty good strength in depth. I don’t even see how it can be questioned when applying simple common sense? There’s more evidence there than a smoking gun…

• Jib

Jan 29, 2017 at 1:46 PM

Two home games next.

For me Derby on Staurday is the tougher game than QPR on Wednesday.

I wonder if Rafa’s selection will bear this out ?

• AncientC

Jan 29, 2017 at 1:53 PM

Hopefully Millwall get Chelsea next in the cup lol.

• jane

Jan 29, 2017 at 1:56 PM

“Leeds make 10 changes from the team which beat Nottingham Forest.”

[for Sutton match]

• toon kk

Jan 29, 2017 at 2:00 PM

Laurent
    I agree we have a very good team for the championship which is built around cirtain key players, my point is that we have a big squad but money was spent on cirtain players which could have been spent more wisely.
    We were out classed by Oxford yesterday, with the money that has been spent that shouldn’t have happened.

• jazzyp

Jan 29, 2017 at 2:01 PM

Rafa Benitez made it clear after the 3-0 loss to Oxford that his squad isn’t strong enough to challenge on two fronts and stated that he had no choice but to make nine changes to protect players for the home game with Queens Park Rangers this week.
    Do we really think this is acceptable that we cannot fight on all fronts and as suggested we are that weak below the first team

• welshgeordie9

Jan 29, 2017 at 2:03 PM

Waiting for us to sign someone is like watching Newcastle play, some of the players we have got are struggling, how are they going to do well next season in the prem, Mitrovic and Perez should be near the 20 mark by now.

• OneAlanShearer

Jan 29, 2017 at 2:03 PM

Strength in depth is not just cover. Hayden is far better than colback. We have zero cover for shelvey unless you think that’s barlaser. It’s left wing we are weak, creative and holding midfield. I also think striker we are weak. Rafa clearly doesn’t rate mitro so that leaves us gayle or Murphy. Perez is hit or miss. An injury to shelvey or Ritchie and I’d be worried about us going up. That’s the definition of strength in depth not just bodies to fill a shirt.

Our defence would get murdered in the premier league so we can address that in the summer.

However I’d go for mccarthy and townsend right now AND I’d try for a top quality striker. Mccarthy would at least offer quality if shelvey is out and allow us to have 3 strong central midfielders. Wilson I’d also go for.

• Essex Geordie Bill

Jan 29, 2017 at 2:07 PM

jazzyp

Sorry but I see that as a daft question.

But in the unlikely event of that happening I think he would.

• sing in the corner

Jan 29, 2017 at 2:08 PM

We will see the benefit of much maligned rotation on Wednesday night. QPR had a hard game and lost at home to Burton on Saturday. We have a big chunk of our (nearly) table topping 1st team coming back in fresh, they have no such luxury as they make the long trip north 4 days later.
    Let’s get back to position A.

• jazzyp

Jan 29, 2017 at 2:11 PM

Essex

Sorry but it was just a friendly civil question. And I am happy you have faith if the unthinkable happened this season.
    I agree I do not see it happening myself pal as the first team is good enough

• ShirebrookToon

Jan 29, 2017 at 2:13 PM

It’s got to that point in the window where I think we won’t sign anyone. Yesterday result was abysmal but I ain’t gonna lose any sleep over it. All attention needs to be on gettingus promoted now wether it be as champions or 2nd

HWTL!

• hibbit

Jan 29, 2017 at 2:16 PM

toon kk

just out of curiosity could you name the players your meaning ???

• Essex Geordie Bill

Jan 29, 2017 at 2:18 PM

Caught the last 20 minutes of the Millwall game and although he was on the losing side I continue to be impressed with Geudiora, a very under rated player imo and one that I think could do the Shelvey role. Would also be a lot cheaper (and better) than McCarthey if Watford were persuaded to sell him.

And whilst I think about it, Mbemba will become a top EPL player either with us or somewhere else imo, not at CP though.

• Essex Geordie Bill

Jan 29, 2017 at 2:25 PM

jazzyp

I wasn’t trying to be terse, sorry if you took it that way.

I just thought giving the position we are in it was a daft question. We would have to really slip up and the other teams to do really well for us to fail. Even without Shelvey we do have a very good squad. We were actually no worse than the other potential contenders whilst he was sidelined.

• Laurent Robert 32

Jan 29, 2017 at 2:25 PM

Toon kk, that is in the realms of changes all at once and them lacking cohesion I’d say, rather than 2 or 3 rotating from time to time.

• bettyswallocks

Jan 29, 2017 at 2:27 PM

Welshie…… If Mitro and Perez were both on the twenty mark then we would have some impressive goal tally. Do you think you’re being realistic there?

• hibbit

Jan 29, 2017 at 2:27 PM

Essex Geordie Bill
    dont for one minute believe that 16 m price tag he wont be anywhere near that
    as far as Geudiora being better not sure
    what i do know Watford rate him highly and he wont be cheap

• booboo

Jan 29, 2017 at 2:38 PM

our squad is fine stabil it could be better but cmon lets not panic yet. all season this squad and whith benitez reputation and all this talk about rotation i have not seen too much of that. it has been the same players for most of the games playing because we been doing well.
    thats why i think many players simply hasnt come up 2 gear yet sitting on the bench is not exactly the same as playing. i feel like you can defend most players excebt selz who been awfull. and i think the club should back benitez and give him what ever he want . as long as we up.
    then next season will be interesting i will like to see how far benitez can take us.

• AncientC

Jan 29, 2017 at 2:45 PM

booboo – I’d agree. Darlow, Clark, Lascelles, Dummett, Ritchie, Shelvey and Gayle…all play when fit.

It’s no coincidence that the players rotated are the always the same candidates: Anita/Yedlin, Gouffran/Atsu, Perez/Diame, Colback/Hayden.