Newcastle Have Given Up On Signing Central Midfielder

If George Caulkin of the Times is accurate – and he usually is – then it seems that Newcastle have given up on bringing in James McCarthy or any other central midfielder for that matter.

George has just tweeted that it’s Andros Townsend or nothing for Newcastle in this transfer window – let’s hope it’s not nothing – but three’s still work to do to get Townsend through the door.

It ‘s just so disappointing and now we have to hope that Jonjo Shelvey keeps healthy for the rest of the season, because if we lose him we have nobody who can replace him as two wins in the five games he missed through suspension adequately proved.

Jonjo Shelvey – let’s hope he keeps fit

Here’s what George Caulkin has tweeted today:

• manxpie

Jan 30, 2017 at 2:24 PM

And on darlow i think he’s on the way to being a top top keeper constantly improving and his shot stopping is certainly the best we’ve got, pulled of quite a few wonder saves in his short time including doubles and trebles seems to be learning his all round game as well

• jayphoto

Jan 30, 2017 at 2:26 PM

@wwsbrd – I was waiting for you to pop up when I knocked Darlow!
    Which 6?
    Out of keepers currently owned by EPL clubs, I would take over Darlow:
    De Gea, Lloris, Courtois, Begovic, Hart, Butland, Mignolet, Vorm, Heaton, Foster and Schmeichal as all being currently a level above Darlow.
    Think Karius, Zieler, Pickford probably have the potential to be better when they have more premier league experience.
    I’d only take De Gea, Lloris, Courtois and Butland over an in form and fit Krul if i’m honest though

• Blackley and Brownlie

Jan 30, 2017 at 2:33 PM

I’ve come to the view that I’d rather win the fa cup than get promoted. If we’re not a football club first, what are we?

• WWSBRD

Jan 30, 2017 at 2:34 PM

jay
    Haha its our weekly conversation so Id hate to disappoint u

Lloris, De Gea, Butland, Courtois, Cech and Forster maybe Heaton but probably not. Itd probably be in that order as well. Mignolet is in ur list though? Nar hes got jelly wrists

We dont need potential in a keeper we’ve got Woodman and Sels for that (though I think u will soon be the last town fan on earth who still rates him soon)

• hibbit

Jan 30, 2017 at 2:35 PM

Krul’s distribution has always been a problem

our worst ever goalkeeper according to some on here Jak Alnwick signs for Rangers
    good luck to him sold down the river here !!!

• Patoon

Jan 30, 2017 at 2:37 PM

Kruls kicking is woeful, id take elliot over krul any day of the week

• Ibizatoon

Jan 30, 2017 at 2:37 PM

Jay…I can’t call Sels at all. Far too flappy for my liking, but that could just be a question of adjusting.

• lochinvar

Jan 30, 2017 at 2:37 PM

Hej Teamstoof – here you are
    Have a great trip over, Stadium Tour worth it by all accounts

• Blackley and Brownlie

Jan 30, 2017 at 2:37 PM

Grant Hanley just wants to be given the opportunity and get a run in the team. He’s a nice, honest lad. And very imposing. I agree with an earlier poster (Belfast?) that you can’t criticise him when he’s not getting a run in the team. My first choice would be Lascelles and Clark, but Hanley is good enough to take his chance if it comes.

• WWSBRD

Jan 30, 2017 at 2:42 PM

Blackley
    Out of interest if we won the FA cup and didnt get promoted what do u think the clubs future would be?

• jayphoto

Jan 30, 2017 at 2:48 PM

Have every Monday afternoon @wwsbrd
    Mignolet, and a few others its hard to judge for me against Darlow because their problem is consistency. I think they have the ability to be great, but they are so up and down, its hard to tell which one will turn up.
    Quite liked Karius in Germany, surprised Liverpool went for him though. Especially when Timo Horn and Bernd Leno were probably gettable! That place is like an adventure playground for keepers though, Hoffenheim have a great GK this year in Baumann and ironically theres actually a lad that game through Liverpools youth team, Gulacsi having a superb season!

• Blackley and Brownlie

Jan 30, 2017 at 2:53 PM

WWSBRD
    If we failed to get promotion, I think the club’s future would be no different to how the club has always been. It’s like Brexit. People talking about catastrophe if we leave the Single Market. The politicians would not have given us a referendum if they did not believe both options were economically viable.

• Clematis

Jan 30, 2017 at 2:55 PM

B&B @ 3: really? You’d take winning the FA Cup over promotion?

I’m sure you’re a season ticket as am I. Although we are playing some decent football you would rather stay in this f**king sh**e league for another season?

I most surely don’t share your sentiment. And in regards to the FA Cup Rafa was right to use the depth of the squad; otherwise what’s the point in having one.

And this is not a personal dig, marra.

• Clematis

Jan 30, 2017 at 2:55 PM

Season ticket holder! 🙂

• hibbit

Jan 30, 2017 at 2:57 PM

WWSBRD @10
    the doldrums for many a year

if you don’t get back up that first year its hard the club loses that premier league mentality and each year that goes by it gets hard to make the step just have a look at the clubs below us

• WWSBRD

Jan 30, 2017 at 2:57 PM

jay
    Haha tbf atleast am not defending Townsend…am so tired of it but I cant bite my tongue
    Mignolet nar I think hes pretty poor tbh his wrists are pathetically weak and he just gives the defense no confidence. Karius has gotten a rough deal though admittedly I dont know how Liverpool fans have taken to him but he certainly has taken pelters from the media…think hes a fairer link to Sels than De Gea tbh (ok keeper with potential but shouldnt of been number 1)..think both Klopp and Rafa dropped the ball with them

Personally I dont see a way back for Sels with us if am brutally honest

• Mister Tuff

Jan 30, 2017 at 3:00 PM

Blackley I think we were only given the referendum as Cameron thought the vote would be to remain. Leaving was not even catered for.

We should not be assisting Palace at all – no way.
    Townsend is currently crap. He’ll upset things i reckon if he comes back.

• hibbit

Jan 30, 2017 at 3:03 PM

I agree with Clematis i dont want to stay in this league a minute longer that we have to FA cup or no FA cup .
    another Season ticket holder! ?

• WWSBRD

Jan 30, 2017 at 3:03 PM

Blackley
    Lets not talk politics eh?

I disagree though if we dont go up this season our future is a lot bleaker Rafa would likely be off, our stars wont be sticking around for another season in the wilderness and tbf we could afford to keep them…plus if we’d won the FA cup we would have European football which we couldnt deal with…nar we need to go up plus realistically we had very little chance of winning the cup anyway

hibbit
    Aye thats how Id see it too in the last 10 years cup winners outsied of the teams ud expect are Swansea and Birmingham for the league cup and Portsmouth and Wigan for the FA cup…am alright not swapping places with them personally

• Belfast

Jan 30, 2017 at 3:09 PM

Yes Blackley agree with me and you can’t go wrong!

And I’m really glad we aren’t signing James McCarthy hallelujah!

• jayphoto

Jan 30, 2017 at 3:09 PM

@wwsbrd – I agree with you on sels actually! Looks a shadow of the keeper that starred in the champions league last year, a loan and regular games would probably be a massive benefit.
    Can’t understand people knocking townsend. The same people were knocking shelvey before the season began too, i remember taking pelters on here because I said Shelvey would be our most important player..
    Townsend is simply too good for this level. If we sign him he’ll rip it to shreds in my opinion.
    Use Knockeart as an example of a player that is too good for this level, and I think Townsend is a lot better than him based on what i’ve seen at EPL level.
    Problem is, people don’t take into account where we are. There are better wingers than townsend yes, but are they available, in our price range, willing to drop into championship for 6 months…
    For me, in January, Andros is the perfect fit. In the summer? Maybe theres better then, but for right now he’d certainly put us closer to promotion

• BeeGuy

Jan 30, 2017 at 3:14 PM

I’d like Townsend back, but not at the expense of M’bemba. If promoted, we will find Clark too slow, and Lascalles lacking poise and the ability to move the ball up the field as well as he should. NUFC must build from the back, and M’bemba has the tools on both counts.

• hibbit

Jan 30, 2017 at 3:17 PM

jayphoto

not having ago here but any one watching townsend over the last 4/5 months will be wounding what all the fuss is about inconsistent to say the least
    Knockeart on the other hand has look a far better play

• WWSBRD

Jan 30, 2017 at 3:19 PM

jay
    I never watched Sels before he joined mate but I saw the highlights package someone posts on here and that worried me but aye he probably needs a loan trouble is fans have turned on him so its a long way back from that
    I agree on Townsend as well best we could get right now and will compete next season too, not sure what else we could want

On last Jan neither Shelvey nor Townsend were popular buys and both proved their worth in the end…I reckon that would happen again if Townsend resigns

• WWSBRD

Jan 30, 2017 at 3:22 PM

hibbit
    Townsend had a worse manager, played at a higher level and didnt have a team built around him tbf…plus from what Ive seen of Townsend this year hes not been terrible admittedly Ive not seen a whole lot of him

• Ian Toon

Jan 30, 2017 at 3:25 PM

You really are losing the plot- the only update is that I am concentrating full time on my chosen profession (have little free time for my writing) but into the specialisation phase- stop your dirty tricks.

31Ian Toon // Apr 8, 2014 at 3:09 PM

Mr Tuff- I have responded previously. All my own material – I write/ submit for the Metro and others usually under the titled Sports Reporter banner. I don’t have a problem someone else posting under their name because it means they rate the content. I am using the leverage to get some work potentially from the London, Evening Standard. Hope this meets with your approval. Don’t worry it’s only a hobby
    I have a desire to qualify in a very much more worthwhile field than becoming an old hack- I can’t keep up in the drinking stakes.

I wrote occasional articles for WSC when in my first year at Uni as an 18 year old. It helped towards my survival.

We’ve spoken before about people with agendas- I always look at who’s saying what and why they’re saying it.

• hibbit

Jan 30, 2017 at 3:25 PM

i posted this earlier today

our worst ever goalkeeper according to some folk on here Jak Alnwick signs for Rangers
    good luck to him sold down the river here !!!

folk on don’t have a lot of patience with goalkeepers

• Chancel My MBembaship

Jan 30, 2017 at 3:26 PM

I think taking the Champions League place away from the team finishing fourth in the league and giving it to the FA Cup winner would see teams taking the cup a little more seriously. The cup doesn’t offer much of a financial reward, but a Champions League place does. It’s sad that the prestige of being FA Cup winners isn’t what it was it seems, but offer a monetary carrot and we’ll see the bigger teams fielding stronger sides in each round I bet.

• Ian Toon

Jan 30, 2017 at 3:28 PM

Belfast – Thank goodness. Now for Tom Cairney ?

• hibbit

Jan 30, 2017 at 3:32 PM

WWSBRD
    like i say not having a go here just pointing out how poor Townsend has been for whatever reason

• WWSBRD

Jan 30, 2017 at 3:36 PM

hibbit
    Aye I suppose but Shelvey is probably the best player in the league and he was awful for us last season

• lesh

Jan 30, 2017 at 3:36 PM

Glimps

It’s good to know that the Comrades’ committee did the right thing. They’ve got more balls than ‘Teresa’! Let’s hope they’ve got no plans for a fact-finding visit to the US – Ashington’s probably been added to the banned list!

• bettyswallocks

Jan 30, 2017 at 3:37 PM

Chancel ….. Good suggestion on the FA Cup. If there was a Champions League spot for the winners it would restore some importance back to the great old competition and incentivise clubs to compete properly.

I don’t know if the FA have the authority to introduce it though.

• lesh

Jan 30, 2017 at 3:39 PM

WWSBRD

Shelvey’s improved greatly since last season and that’s probably down to Rafa.

I only hope that Ashley hasn’t pi$$ed Rafa off with the lack of squad additions this window.

• hibbit

Jan 30, 2017 at 3:40 PM

Chancel My MBembaship
    the problem with that idea ( which by the way i think is a good one ) is UEFA set the criteria for qualification not the FA and they already want to take one place of us

• hibbit

Jan 30, 2017 at 3:45 PM

WWSBRD @ 31
    just makes me wonder where Townsend would be if he had stop ???

• WWSBRD

Jan 30, 2017 at 3:45 PM

lesh
    Exactly my point in regards to Townsend mate

I don’t think Rafa will be too upset though annoying as it is we aren’t going to risk the club financially and we are trying to get deals done by all accounts

• Jib

Jan 30, 2017 at 3:46 PM

“Mister Tuff
    Give it up man – your drivel is now very tiresome.”

Oh the delicious irony

• lesh

Jan 30, 2017 at 3:48 PM

Blackley

‘The politicians would not have given us a [brexit] referendum if they did not believe both options were economically viable.

You’re talking bollocks and you know it. They hadn’t banked on the stupidity of the British voter who like those who voted Trump, fell for soundbites. Parallels there with the emergence of Nazi Germany where scapegoating of Jews and others as the cause of the recession and unemployment, led to the nationalism that was the Nazi’s platform to power.

Anyway, enough of that, let’s focus on the Toon eh.

• WWSBRD

Jan 30, 2017 at 3:50 PM

hibbit
    More where would we be mate if Ritchie had still come in and Townsend had stayed if we had both of them in the team…attacks coming from both sides rather than just the right how many points clear would we be eh haha