Rafa Confident Newcastle Can Get Deal Done Today

Rafa Benitez has just given his press conference today – deadline day for January transfers – and he says he is confident “Newcastle can do something good for the team.”

Next up for Newcastle are QPR tomorrow night at St. James’ Park and we are hoping we can win that game to get our Championship season back on track after the disaster at Oxford United on Saturday.

Anything but a win tomorrow night would not be good.

Rafa Benitez – just completed his press conference

Here are some of the initial comments Rafa has made on a variety of topics starting with the transfer status:

“We’re confident we can do something good for the team, but there is no news.”

“We did well in the first half at Oxford but did not take our chances.”  “The main thing for me is I feel sorry for our fans.”

“It’s the Championship now and we want to win.”  “QPR are doing better now, they have had some good results in their last few games.”

“My focus is on the next game. We were working really hard today to prepare for it.”

“QPR change systems and they are quite strong and difficult to break down.”  “It will be a tough game for us.”

How Will Newcastle Fare Against QPR?

View Results
Loading ... Loading ...

• beermonkey

Jan 31, 2017 at 1:22 PM

ww

last thread
    we can only hope

• LGFUAD21

Jan 31, 2017 at 1:24 PM

From Last Thread

In all fairness to Everton. They are selling to the club that managed £30m for Sissoko.

I rate James Mccarthy, he’s better than Colback but he is still a defensive minded mid that would complement Shelvey.

I’m sure he could do a great jobs for us but Hayden hasnt exactly done bad.

One benefit of Mccarthy would more likely be when/if we go up. We’ll have to get used to teams attacking us more in the prem and the guy’s biggest asset is his ability to break up play and win the ball back.

I will add though, that I would be nowhere near willing to pay £20m for the lad.

• YoungMagpieFromBurnley

Jan 31, 2017 at 1:24 PM

Where’s the poll Ed on whether people think Townsend will be signed today? I’m interested to see the stats.

• ron burgundy

Jan 31, 2017 at 1:26 PM

Pass the hay Eeyore

• firebug666

Jan 31, 2017 at 1:27 PM

Matthew Raisbeck ?@raisbeck10 4m4 minutes ago
    Rafa: “I’d like two to balance the team but I don’t know if we will get one! The best thing for me is to wait and see what we do.” #nufc

• firebug666

Jan 31, 2017 at 1:28 PM

Matthew Raisbeck ?@raisbeck10 7m7 minutes ago
    Rafa Benitez tells @bbcnewcastle “I cannot talk about names or rumours because we don’t have any news at the moment.” #nufc

• Jib

Jan 31, 2017 at 1:28 PM

Tioté off to Shanghai or Beijing

• Bobbybee

Jan 31, 2017 at 1:28 PM

Mccarthy at 20m is a joke. There’ll be far better options available in the summer. Why waste that much now? We don’t need him now and that would be 20m less to spend in the summer. Mccarthy himself will probably be half that price in the summer, when better players are up for sale.

• LGFUAD21

Jan 31, 2017 at 1:29 PM

I wouldnt say we need Townsend but I wouldnt mind him back. He was great last season and the bitter folks need to realise there is non shame in wanting to ply your trade at the top level, especially once you have seen the sh!t show behind the scenes here.

I think it’ll be win – lose in our favour if a deal does happen though. Sam needs to bring some money in and signing Schlupp and waiting until last minute has probably made them a little bit more desperate than we are.

I’m not as upset as everyone seems to be about this window as I think we are in a good place.

BUT

there are some players we definitely couldn’t brought in that would’ve been great additions for this season and next:

Snodgrass
    Brady
    Robertson (by all accounts is off too)

There are 3 of them.

• firebug666

Jan 31, 2017 at 1:30 PM

Pete Graves ?@PeteGravesSky 2m2 minutes ago
    #nufc midfielder Cheik Tiote agrees 2 year deal with a Chinese club. Latest on @SkySportsNewsHQ #ssnhq

• WWSBRD

Jan 31, 2017 at 1:32 PM

Bobby
    Last summer we sold Gini and Sissoko for more than 20 mill and Id have McCarthy over both of them

• Jib

Jan 31, 2017 at 1:33 PM

“expatmag //
    Townsend!!!!!!! He isnt coming and never has been.”

keep digging pommie whinger

• LGFUAD21

Jan 31, 2017 at 1:36 PM

WWSBRD

I reckon he would’ve contributed a lot more last season. When we clearly had a giant hole in our midfield right in front of our defenders.

Newcastle fans will never rate a player of his ilk because he isn’t skillful and he doesn’t attack but he’s a workhorse. He wins the ball, he helps his team out.

He’s definitely an improvement over Colback and probably over Hadyen too. But is he or that sort of player a critical signing. Probably not and definitely not for £16m let alone £20.

I’d pay £10m for him tops.

• martoon

Jan 31, 2017 at 1:36 PM

I’ve said a couple of times on here that they need to free up Tiote’s wages to subsidise Townsend’s – looking promising now but I don’t know why we’ve waited until the last day?

• manxpie

Jan 31, 2017 at 1:36 PM

Well that’s a shed load of wages of the books then I hope we got a few million for him too

• LGFUAD21

Jan 31, 2017 at 1:37 PM

£20m quoted for McCarthy
    now £20m quoted for Sakho

No double 5under1ands £7.5m bid for Ulloa will also be rejected.

These fees are certainly out of control.

• WWSBRD

Jan 31, 2017 at 1:38 PM

Tiotes two storming goals and header tennis with Cabaye against Man Utd pretty sure thats what I will remembering him for and being a tank in his first couple of season of course

Good luck in China hopefully their police are less strict on driving offences

• WWSBRD

Jan 31, 2017 at 1:40 PM

LGFUAD21
    Aye mate hes a solid screen tbh Id say similar to Carrick in the right set up and partnership he’d be very good for us imo

• lochinvar

Jan 31, 2017 at 1:41 PM

Shanghai have just offloaded Demba Ba to Besiktas – maybe it is finally Tiotes chance to get a year in China as a pay day

• LGFUAD21

Jan 31, 2017 at 1:41 PM

I havent even added the £14m for PVA and £13.5 for Schlupp.

Can you blame us for not getting anyone in at those rates?

Bear in mind we paid £15m for Gini who was dutch player of the year ahead of Depay.

• Mister Tuff

Jan 31, 2017 at 1:42 PM

Hahahaha. Jib “it’s a shoot out” Jibberish now getting well and truly spanked by other posters.

Jib – man you need to read up on the Rules of the game ( they are not the same as rugby!).
    When you’ve done that have a look at transfer windows.
    Like I’ve told you before the internet is a good resource but if you keep on failing to understand/interpret the information you will become not just the blog clot (title already held) but an international clot.

Worra plonka.

• Bobbybee

Jan 31, 2017 at 1:43 PM

WWSBRD different type of players mate. Mccarthy is a workhorse, but lacks creativity. We’ve got workhorses enough to get us up, why waste 20m when we don’t need him? He’ll be far cheaper in the summer, mark my words. If Everton don’t intend to use him they’ll want rid, but with so many others becoming available in the summer they’ll have to drop that ludicrous price tag. He’s not a £20m player mate. Rafa won’t pay that, why would he?

• LGFUAD21

Jan 31, 2017 at 1:43 PM

Just seen Grenier has gone on loan at Roma.

He’d be decent cover for Shelvey.

• LGFUAD21

Jan 31, 2017 at 1:47 PM

Demba Ba has gone back to Besiktas until the end of the season. I thought his career would be pretty much over after that horrific leg break.

• WWSBRD

Jan 31, 2017 at 1:48 PM

Bobby
    Tbf it was the same position as Sissoko when we bought him and Gini has been playing in the same position for Liverpool this season

Honestly though Ive said before money in football is just numbers doesnt really mean anything to me as a fan, McCarthy would improve our squad and thats all I care about

• Bobbybee

Jan 31, 2017 at 1:49 PM

Thank God Tiote’s going. He’s sat on his arse and milked his wages for far too long. Could’ve left last season if football was his concern, but it isn’t – it’s money. Greedy git. Good riddance.

• Mister Tuff

Jan 31, 2017 at 1:49 PM

Please please let Townsend be in the Palace squad for Bournemouth today – please please please.

• Bobbybee

Jan 31, 2017 at 1:53 PM

WWSBRD sadly though, that’s not how it works mate! 🙂 Better players to spend that sort of money on but none are available this window. I hate this window, nowt but trouble.
    Anyway, I’m off to watch something else whilst the clock ticks by. This is horrible. 🙂

• Jib

Jan 31, 2017 at 1:53 PM

Bobby
    The poor chap has 2 wives and a girlfriend to care for !

• Bobbybee

Jan 31, 2017 at 1:55 PM

Jib, dunno how he copes on 65k a week. Must be really tough on him. Later.

• bettyswallocks

Jan 31, 2017 at 1:56 PM

Now Tiote’s wages are off the books and a squad place vacant, I can just picture Charnley with his dealer boots on , checked shirt, braces and half mast corduroy trousers giving it large on the phone.

Expat….. I’m still feeling confident about our wager.

• Jib

Jan 31, 2017 at 1:57 PM

• Mag52

Jan 31, 2017 at 2:02 PM

Tiote shanghaied – best news I’ve heard for a long time.

• WWSBRD

Jan 31, 2017 at 2:03 PM

Bobby
    Nar mate not bothered I want the squad to improve now and keep Rafa happy if that means Ashley has to actually do something for the club that he bought well so be it

C ya later marra

• WWSBRD

Jan 31, 2017 at 2:04 PM

Jeffery
    Pretty sure Sunderland dont really care what Johnson does

• lesh

Jan 31, 2017 at 2:11 PM

The Beeb’s reporting the rumour that Jib’s to relaunch himself with yet another blog name.

It’s said that his new I’d will reflect his habit of posting the first ideas that enter his head. Look out for a new poster – Trump!

• Spoof

Jan 31, 2017 at 2:12 PM

WW

I totally agree with you, money in football, especially for us are just numbers, if McCarthy costs £20m then pay it, some say there could be better value in the summer, perhaps there right but will we spend it in the summer ?, get the lad signed whether he is expensive or not because if we don’t sign him then the money will be used to line Ashley’s pockets and that does us no good at all, like yourself the money to me is irrelevant, its getting good quality lads on the pitch which is important to me.

• lesh

Jan 31, 2017 at 2:12 PM

* new I’d = new ID

• WWSBRD

Jan 31, 2017 at 2:16 PM

Spoof
    Aye tbh I think McCarthy and Shelvey would be a good PL midfield partnership and I think Townsend is a PL winger so Id be happy with them coming in, I wont be furious if they dont but the price is the accountants issue not mine

• hibbit

Jan 31, 2017 at 2:20 PM

just dont see Rafa being happy giving the we couldnt get them over the line speech
    I’m still hopeful of getting 2 in !!!!!!!