Report – Newcastle Still Want To Sign James McCarthy Today

Freelance Sports Broadcaster Alan Irwin, who reports mainly for Sky Sports News is at the Everton training camp today and he is reporting in the Star that Newcastle United are still interested in getting James McCarthy in today.

But the deal is £20M, with Everton unlikely to budge at all on the price for the Irish International and that may be too much for Newcastle.

To be more specific – that may be too much for Mike Ashley.

James McCarthy – 26 year-old Everton central midfielder

This is what Irwin has reported as published in the Star:

“James McCarthy has been the subject of interest from Newcastle although the £20M price-tag may put Rafa Benitez off.

There’s better news this morning regarding Andros Townsend with the deal to swap Chancel Mbemba in part exchange now off.

It is now possible that we can get Andros through the door and that’s better than nothing.

The deal is a straight loan deal with an option to buy in the summer and James White of Sky Sports is whipping up hype that Palace could bring in five or six players today – in the next 12 hours?

That tells us it has to be deadline day.

But what we really want is to get both Andros and James through the door today and if we can do that it would be terrific – even amazing.

But Mike Ashley seems unwilling to spend money in this transfer window.

That tells us we must not be in any relegation trouble.

🙂

But we’re still hoping for some miracles today.

Rafa’s press conference is at 1:00 pm today – it will be interesting to see what he has to say.

• Belfast

Jan 31, 2017 at 10:51 AM

20 million lmao get ta ferk

• Rotonda heights

Jan 31, 2017 at 10:55 AM

Ed

20M is too much for anyone. give ash a break on that one

• OneAlanShearer

Jan 31, 2017 at 10:56 AM

It’s an insane price but I’d like to get him signed. I rate him unlike others. I think he’d strengthen us no end and his passing is far better than colback. Him shelvey and hayden would allow us to play 433 really well. Townsend and Ritchie either side of gayle….mouth watering. I just think he’s the right fit for us. I rarely look at players and think that but I do when I look at him, before he was ever mentioned, way back at Wigan iirc. I’d be well chuffed to get those 2.

• lesh

Jan 31, 2017 at 10:56 AM

26 years old and a fee of £20m? Ashley’d choke on his lager if that deal was put in front of him.

• WWSBRD

Jan 31, 2017 at 10:59 AM

In regards to why we wont pay 13 mill for Townsend now most likely its because we dont have money to spend its been pretty clear through out the window thats the case and reportedly why Rafa is unhappy

• manxpie

Jan 31, 2017 at 10:59 AM

What Belfast says, times 100!

• OneAlanShearer

Jan 31, 2017 at 11:01 AM

Lesh- I’ll buy him the larger and you buy him an extra large bag of pork stratchings. Let’s gets this deal in front of him then.

• OneAlanShearer

Jan 31, 2017 at 11:02 AM

WW – I’ll wait to hear rafa say he’s unhappy.

• lesh

Jan 31, 2017 at 11:03 AM

OneAlanShearer

His nibbles are being delivered to Shirebrook and the Benton today!

• WWSBRD

Jan 31, 2017 at 11:05 AM

OAS
    Fair enough

• lochinvar

Jan 31, 2017 at 11:09 AM

Take McCarthy on loan and pay his wages until the end of the season with an option to buy but not at that price ( he’ll be 27 by next season )

If Townsend arrives as well that’s two experienced players that Rafa has identified and who he sees as strengthening the squad so we can push on with the primary objective of promotion and sorry to say no more Cup distractions.

Makes sense – we shall see

• expatmag

Jan 31, 2017 at 11:14 AM

ED

A total waste of press space. Another bollix story like the 50 odd other transfer stories this window.

20 million for him…….I wouldnt pay anymore than 5 and then it would be grudgingly

And as for Townsend!!!!!!! He isnt coming either and never has been.

• barkel

Jan 31, 2017 at 11:14 AM

I agree with OAS, he would be a great addition to our starting XI , £20mil might be a bit on the high side but that’s the price decent players go for.

• YoungMagpieFromBurnley

Jan 31, 2017 at 11:14 AM

£20 million for a player that can’t break into the Everton side this season? Pfffffffffffffft. They’re having a laugh right?

• giimps

Jan 31, 2017 at 11:16 AM

Everton wont do a loan apparently, they must have an eye on a better replacement……that makes sense for them, hes not a bad player to have in reserve.
    Im hoping for a ball playing cdm of the kante mold, as well as toonsend…..not many of them available to championship teams and even fewer on loan.
    Toonesnt in January, get up regroup, job done….see whos available and at what price in the summer, see what more we need ro compete

• YoungMagpieFromBurnley

Jan 31, 2017 at 11:16 AM

That’s like us putting Colback up for £14 million.

• WWSBRD

Jan 31, 2017 at 11:18 AM

7 mill for a 25 year old Wildschut, never even been capped man haha wonder if we can get 10 mill for Sammy

• one fine day

Jan 31, 2017 at 11:21 AM

Ymfb,
    14 mil for the ginger pirlo?
    That’s a mere snip man .
    Quick …. I have levy on line one …….

• giimps

Jan 31, 2017 at 11:25 AM

Klopp after him too, as coutinhos replacement 😈

• barkel

Jan 31, 2017 at 11:26 AM

Our mate Obertan on his way to Wigan supposedly

• giimps

Jan 31, 2017 at 11:27 AM

It is ridiculous though, the value of a player is so inflated due to the premier league tv deals, even poor players are going for millions when in reality they are worth nowhere near the fees being talked about.

• Toon Tang

Jan 31, 2017 at 11:31 AM

• expatmag

Jan 31, 2017 at 11:36 AM

Looking to hijacks Wigans bid for Obetan?

• Lindisfarne

Jan 31, 2017 at 11:36 AM

Jib

My point being that £80m could be double with the right investment at the club. ManU raise a lot of their own players but even at their peak they also spend big, because they have the capital weight behind them. Rio Ferdinand was the most expensive defender ever.

Often when I read back my speeches I wonder why do I bother, or what is the point. But I am expressing my emotional position with I hope a little fact and the occasional humour.

• magspuggy

Jan 31, 2017 at 11:38 AM

14 million for colbeck
    I will grab his coats and boots somebody start the car

• Australian Pie

Jan 31, 2017 at 11:38 AM

Apprently Wigan + Crystal Palace are trying to sign the now free agent Gabby Obertan

• JAMSHA

Jan 31, 2017 at 11:40 AM

put in a bid of 20 mill for will hughes insted

• Australian Pie

Jan 31, 2017 at 11:43 AM

Still hoping for my dream signing of Aaron Mooy from Man City/Huddersfield…… Only in my dreams though

• YoungMagpieFromBurnley

Jan 31, 2017 at 11:45 AM

You guys cracking me up haha. That’s a steal for Colback right? Hahaha.

• expatmag

Jan 31, 2017 at 11:49 AM

AUSTRALIAN PIE

Keep hoping mate. It aint gonna happen. More chance of digning Travis Cloke……..lol

• Lindisfarne

Jan 31, 2017 at 11:56 AM

Chronic reporting that Haidara is saying he was playing as a centre back, in a three against Oxford. I could not see enough of the formation but it does make me wonder what position Gamez was playing?

It only adds to my suspicion that the side were lacking in solidity, confused and not expected to win.

• WWSBRD

Jan 31, 2017 at 12:00 PM

Lindis
    He played wing back on the right with Lazaar wing back on the left a formation we have played more than once this season

• Australian Pie

Jan 31, 2017 at 12:01 PM

Lindis I was there and the formation was interesting. Gamez was playing quite high so I wouldnt be surprised if it was Good – Hanley – Haidara at the back with Lazaar and Gamez as wing backs, but Lazaar seemed to be to all over the pitch for this to be the case, unless he was lost….

• Lindisfarne

Jan 31, 2017 at 12:03 PM

Rafa says that one positive to come out the match is that Mitro got 90 minutes. Personally I would expect a player coming back from an injury that presumably curtailed his movement for a week or more, to be introduced in stages. Improving Mitros match fitness may be important with the indefinite loss of Gayle, but his confidence also requires consideration. Especially now there are only league games and not scoring will see the club drop places.

• AncientC

Jan 31, 2017 at 12:06 PM

Jib // Jan 31, 2017 at 9:36 AM

“Pretty speech Lindisfarne
    A complete crock but very pretty.
    All you have to do is look at the accounts at companies house to see we have the thick end of £80 m cash in hand”

Have you been looking at the accounts registered on companies house, Jib? I would be interested to know where this £80 is coming from, seeing as the figures don’t add up, & Ashley said less than 12 months ago that the coffers were empty.

It was only a few months ago you told me that Benitez had £100 million to spend.

• Lindisfarne

Jan 31, 2017 at 12:07 PM

WWSbird / Aussie dish

I can only hope that the experience gained by Haidara has improved his role as a defender.

• Lindisfarne

Jan 31, 2017 at 12:10 PM

AC

Who could be telling the truth, MA the owner of NUFC or Jib?

That’s quite a difficult one.

• WWSBRD

Jan 31, 2017 at 12:10 PM

Lindis
    I just hope he can stay fit but each to their own

• expatmag

Jan 31, 2017 at 12:12 PM

ANCIENT

Experience on this blog tells me that the particular blogger you refer to doesnt know his arse from his elbow let alone company accounts

• Australian Pie

Jan 31, 2017 at 12:14 PM

Lindis

It was a strange game because although losing 3-0 I thought our back line was the best performers on the pitch we lost the midfield and Sels was again very quiet and non commanding.

Good, Haidara and Hanley did an “Ok” job in the game. Lazaar and Gamez could have done much better.