Newcastle Fans Increasingly Worried About Rafa Benitez

The comments made by Rafa Benitez after the game last night about the January transfer situation were pointed – to say the least.

It doesn’t look like he was very happy that nobody was brought in last month and if he is not in charge of all transfers he may not be too happy at Newcastle and that will be absolutely true if we cannot get us promoted in May.

Losing 2 points last night with a daft own goal at the death didn’t help anything, but we cannot overreact.

We have to support Rafa and the team with everything we have and hope we are promoted.

Rafa Benitez – doesn’t seem happy at the moment

Then we have to hope Mike Ashley comes to his senses if indeed he is interfering with things again.

If we lose Rafa it’s all over the Newcastle.

Here are some comments on Rafa from the fans via Twitter.

• toontaff2

Feb 2, 2017 at 9:33 AM

Just been talking to RAFA in the waiting room at the Samaritans…

• Charlie in the Gallowgate

Feb 2, 2017 at 9:34 AM

Rotonda
    Ashley – as I said last week I don’t think it is Ashley – I think Carr has got to much influence wanting to bring in players from the continent.

RAFA – I do think he is one dimensional against AC Milan if they had been 1-0 down I don’t think he would of changed anything – but 3-3 nil he had to try something.
    RAFA’s tactics….

With the TOON – we play the same way week in week out home or away
    play one up front play very cautious slow ponderous build up and use Gayle’s pace and guilt to get the goals –

Home or away good team bad team – same line up one up front two centre backs – why the F**k do we need two centre backs every game

Get 1-0 up and sit back which lets teams back in and generally get pummelled last ten minutes.
    ie Preston, Bristol City, Aston Villa, Cardiff, Wigan, Brentford, Burton, all games where we were in control – sat back played the ball sideways – try to keep posession with players who do not have the ability to do so.

Subs – first sub comes on after about 70 minutes and usually for the same players.

Yesterday: would of had Lascalles off first half he was shit.
    should of had Diame on at half time .

QPR yesterday – came out of the box with a flyer quick move scored
    then went back to the usual TOON
    slow backwards sideways which let QPR back in the game by passing us to make mistakes then when they got the ball attacked us with pace with about three or four players.
    We did not pick up their runners had to much space to play and if not two great block tackles from Dummett could of been 2 or 3 down.

second half yes we picked it up for a while when Shelvey got himself excited – scored then went back into our shells.
    After they scored straight from the kick off they had a great chance to equalise – just let them run at us/through us.

People saying crowd was quite – yes because there is nothing to get excited about – know blood and thunder – just pedantic slow play.

Mitro – not the best player by a long way – but hell he excites the crowd and gets them going – maybe we need him Saturday

Trouble is that has been the same pattern week after week – coincidence or what???

Saturday coming – no change – will be one up front – slow sideways football look for Shelvey – our ‘Third’ centre half to do everything

Rant over … for the minute

• toontaff2

Feb 2, 2017 at 9:35 AM

On SSN Clark’s own goal looks even worse than it did from the Gallowgate! So avoidable. Darlow fault, too.
    RAFA looks very down on interview.

• toontaff2

Feb 2, 2017 at 9:38 AM

And step in the grinning maniac with the mad hair to show us what a good manager he is!

• hibbit

Feb 2, 2017 at 9:48 AM

toontaff2@4
    just what i was thinking !!!

• wynsleap

Feb 2, 2017 at 9:55 AM

I’t all going to end in tears!!!!
    Really think if Ashley causes problems with Benitez and he leaves that will be the very last straw for Newcastle fans.

• posada

Feb 2, 2017 at 9:56 AM

Every team we play use the same method.
    It goes a bit like this.
    They don’t tend to press the ball high up the pitch.
    Wait until it is in their half then go toe to toe man for man with our players.
    Poised to break at pace when they can. Often get three forward quickly and fairly centrally.

It’s been the same since late November. But, why is it so effective.
    We struggle to play the ball out but I don’t think it’s down to our defenders. Not totally.
    Is it the midfield two ? Probably.
    They are not good at showing for the ball and being able to take it under pressure and do something with it. That is the essence of midfield play. First touch is everything. One of the best was Gazza. He would want the ball even if marked by 2 defenders. So long as he had the first touch he could work something from there.
    Hayden is a defender first and formost. Shelevy for all his skill this is not his strong point.
    Also, with 4/2/3/1 your fullbacks push on. The CB goes out wide to back up the play, one of your CM 2 has to drop in to cover the CB in the middle. We are not good at this. A few bloggers have pointed out. At times the other team sometimes have unmarked runners and it looks very easy for them.
    But, whats the solution.
    Drop Shelvey ? With the players we have I don’t see an easy solution. Everything revolves round him, but he is not the complete player.

• ilovetoon8788

Feb 2, 2017 at 10:04 AM

Brighton with an inferior team to us are tops. I got a feeling it’s gonna be reading and Brighton for the automatic spot.

Without gayle we look lost and hopeless..

• alka

Feb 2, 2017 at 10:08 AM

I think it seems obvious that the Fatman has interfered and told his muppet Mr Magoo ( Charnley) not to do any business and if the same happens in the summer Rafa will be away. If that happens I can see P45due being brought back.

• Charlie in the Gallowgate

Feb 2, 2017 at 10:10 AM

Posada
    For home games go with three at the back
    Me like him or loathe him
    Bring in Colback as defensive midfield
    push Shelvey further up the field.

My team 3-1-4 -2
    Darlow
    Yedlin, Clark, Dummett
    Colback
    Ritchie, Shelvey, Diame, Goufran
    Mitrovich, Gayle if fit
    Mitrovich, Perez

• posada

Feb 2, 2017 at 10:12 AM

Alka
    Do you know what I had’nt thought of that.
    Old man Carr to Mike.
    He’s wasted money on Sels, Gamez, Hanley and Lazaar.
    I got you Sissoko for 2M and Cabaye for 4.

• lesh

Feb 2, 2017 at 10:14 AM

Charlie

The press reported that we’d submitted three bids for some Moroccan kid playing in Holland. Could that have been Carr’s influence when Rafa’s needs were well stated?

I hope I’m wrong but this episode suggests that Ashley setting Rafa up to fail by undermining his authority over transfers. Deja vue again?

• lesh

Feb 2, 2017 at 10:16 AM

Alka, posada

I’ve been suggesting for days that Rafa’s been stuffed. Even the Chron’s on that case now.

• posada

Feb 2, 2017 at 10:20 AM

Aye, but will he do it Charlie.
    At this level I feel he thinks he can just keep it tight and one of our quality players, usualy Gayle or Shelvey will come up with something.
    Was it you that mentioned we sit back whenever we score. I first really noticed it at Wigan away. How they did not draw level I will never know. We stop challenging for the 50/50s and drop off.
    At times it’s infuriating.
    Like the formation, but I would be worried about Yedlin in a back three.

• posada

Feb 2, 2017 at 10:25 AM

Lesh
    I’m not sure he’s been stuffed. We have got 2 senoir pros for each position on top money. As I said yesterday, you can’t go on collecting players. We will have Riviere and the other no hopers back in June.
    On the other hand Rafa may well be saying we have 30 Million in surplus from the summer transfer window and I need this and that.
    Big problem is any player of Townsends calibre means big investment, 15 mill and a five year contract.

• getoutofworeclub

Feb 2, 2017 at 10:28 AM

Is it not enough to say last night what Rafa said after the game that he didn’t get backed but yet most people on here think different and saying that Rafa will get backed in the summer believe that and u will believe anything Rafa will walk u can see it a mile of wake up people the writing is on the wall

• reilly

Feb 2, 2017 at 10:29 AM

Rafa is a manager that likes to spend money.ashley is an owner that doesnt.
    big problems.

• Charlie in the Gallowgate

Feb 2, 2017 at 10:29 AM

Posada
    Yes it was me – I have mentioned it time and time again – after we score we sit back and let teams come at us. To play like that you need defenders who can defend.
    midfield to close down their runners which we sadly do not.

My idea of playing three at the back and a extra attacking midfield would be to take the ball to the opposition

and yes we rely to much on Shelvey and Gayle.

Yedlin great going forward but not the best defending – I prefer Anita to be honest but he is injured.

Mitrovich – reason I would have him ( if he decides he is going to try) he excites the crowd and hopefully that would lift the players.

Because the eleven we put out last night – no one there gets you excited makes the pulse run faster.

Di anyone notice how many back-passes were made to Darlow.

I got to about 12 then stopped counting. ARGHHHHHHHHH – does my head in

• barkel

Feb 2, 2017 at 10:32 AM

Just remember lads we didn’t lose the game last night, might be two points dropped but QPR played very well last night and we were lucky to still be in the game at half time.

We have a strong squad, sure another player or two would be nice but what were we going to do? Drop Richie for Townsend?

• Charlie in the Gallowgate

Feb 2, 2017 at 10:32 AM

Lesh

Carr

Yes I think he has got far to much influence on Ashley and Charmless and is pushing for his deals

If so don’t make good reading.

Usually a new manager comes in he brings in at least one scout who knows his requirements.

• Jib

Feb 2, 2017 at 10:35 AM

Ones jaw just drops at the crassness of an article like this , after a heartbreaker like last nights game

Just a jumble of supposition and conjecture seemingly dliberately timed to cause the maximum depression amongst fans.
    Wtf is Ryder even thinking of ?

• lochinvar

Feb 2, 2017 at 10:37 AM

Is Rafa missing Cathro his wingman so to speak ?
    The balance of power inside the Cathedral has changed and not for the better. Ashley and Charnly on one side and Rafa on his own now on the other. Carr being the yes man on the side.
    Rafa and Cathro came as a team and I am sure that Cathro was a good buddy to Rafa when in Newcastle, remembering that Rafa’s family are in Liverpool.
    Cathro was also the Sgt Major to Rafa’s troops and perhaps played a more direct role in motivating the team than we realise.
    It’s lonely at the top – I just hope that we can stay there

• manxpie

Feb 2, 2017 at 10:37 AM

Gayle must’ve doubled his price tag ritchie will have added a few mill on to his and the rest ain’t gonna lose much on
    where as cabella and thauvin were utter wastes of money and they were totally Carr signings so can’t see the logic tbh
    but then again it is Ashley!

• magspuggy

Feb 2, 2017 at 10:38 AM

Gouff is not my favourite player today I had him to score and toon 3-1 @ 80-1..

Wtf was that from Perez @ the end ? Did he not shoot because matt bollocked him for not passing minutes before?

We payed the price again by not putting the game outta sight..

Good thing about this championship is the games come thick and fast.

Onwards and upwards
    Haway the lads

• lesh

Feb 2, 2017 at 10:40 AM

Jib

I hope you’re right. But in the absence of fact, Ashley’s past behaviour leads to cynicism and speculation that Rafa’s too big for Ashley’s liking.

• posada

Feb 2, 2017 at 10:40 AM

Charlie
    Aye, I agree with all of that.
    I get stick on here for being negative at times and moaning.
    Thing is I want to support the team during the game and think I still do.
    But, as I said it gets a bit infuriating at times.
    We can’t do to teams what they do to us. Close them down and put them under pressure.
    Years ago we were doing well under SBR but still generally came off second best against Man U and Arsenal. In games I watched against those two the hardest part of the game was just after we won the ball. We could not keep it as they put us under so much pressure.
    It seems we don’t do that. We think we will win it on quality alone.
    OK its working to a degree we are second top, but I think Rafa has to come up with something.

• lesh

Feb 2, 2017 at 10:43 AM

lochinvar

A point of detail but Cathro came in on McLaren’s watch but not recruited by him. But, yes, we seem to have gone belly up since he went.

• Charlie in the Gallowgate

Feb 2, 2017 at 10:44 AM

Jib
    Ryder
    When reporters cannot get the scoop or they are not the ‘chosen’ reporter
    they love to stir the shite – got to sell the papers.

Form runs in the Mirror group of sports writers – I remember Brian McNally Sunday Mirror getting boot out of SJP by Keegan when he was managing.

• Charlie in the Gallowgate

Feb 2, 2017 at 10:47 AM

Posada
    Somehow on Saturday RAFA has got to get some attacking tempo into the team as if we play the sit back game we will get punished.
    Cathro
    I think his influence is a big miss on the sidelines.
    see he got a great result last night thumping Rangers 4-0

• toon kk

Feb 2, 2017 at 10:47 AM

Tbf for a championship club we spent millions in the summer, money most championship clubs and alot of premier league clubs come to that can only dream about.
    Atm we’re really missing Gayle, without him we wouldn’t be anywhere near the top two, mid table at best.
    What worries me most is our total lack of effort for either part or just a whole game come to that. Why Rafa keeps sticking with Perez is a mystery?
    We look so nervous and shaky in defence.
    Our players look under a pressure they’re finding very hard to handle.

• posada

Feb 2, 2017 at 10:50 AM

If Cathro has made a massive difference it should not have.
    Perhaps it’s a communication/attitude thing.
    Nearly all our players last night were from the home nations.

• jimmygscot

Feb 2, 2017 at 10:53 AM

What a disapointment last nights game. The Toon were better in second half .
    I am really not sure about the defence it never looks secure, how often has Darlow had to make great saves -too often.
    Why play murphy if no crosses are coming into the box, a different plan is needed whem Murphy or Mitro is playing it cannot possibly be the same style that is used for Gayle.
    Play another CM with Shelvey further up the pitch at least them we might not concede so often.

• Belfast

Feb 2, 2017 at 10:54 AM

Lochinvar you have a lot of faith in Cathro for some reason ? He had a limited role once Mcclaren left. He wasn’t even on the bench. He was probably the least important member of Rafa’s staff and last nights result against Rangers aside his time at Hearts has been piss poor thus far.

Seems to be a bit of an odd ball from what I’ve read as well. So I don’t think he would be the life and soul of the dressing room.

• posada

Feb 2, 2017 at 10:57 AM

Toon KK
    Nervous,shakey and under pressure.
    Now that you mention it that’s just what I saw from them.

One last point. Getting back to Shelvey.
    The good the bad and the ugly.
    Good – his goal.
    Ugly – seemed to be up to some nonsense again with a bit of a kick out.
    Bad – Watch their second goal. He’s with Lua Lua. Stands off him. All he has to do is move it 6 feet and cross. Am I being too harsh there. Palace had 8 forward in last minute. He might of thought we should deal with that. Thing is when you let a player cross your asking for trouble.

• Rotonda heights

Feb 2, 2017 at 11:00 AM

Lesh

It could only happen to us. something that was working a treat. Hey presto Ash suddenly re-emerges, talk of Carr and now it’s all going up the pictures. Whether people like rafa’s methods or not it was working before the fat controller came back on the scene.

Ash just can’t seem to help himself from making an utter car crash job of running a football club .Yes carr got sissoko but we won’t talk about riviere, cabella, thauvin, saviet and countless other flops.

Sels like a lot of new keepers abroad in their first season is struggling to adapt, gamez has been injured and lazaar has looked quite promising.

• Rotonda heights

Feb 2, 2017 at 11:02 AM

posada

Palace?

• Rotonda heights

Feb 2, 2017 at 11:04 AM

kk

coz diame is only just back from afcon and mitro had a shocker last game. don’t think perez will start on saturday.

• Jib

Feb 2, 2017 at 11:04 AM

Random thoughts

Yedlin is not a very good full back – Sterry or Gamez may get a call.

Gouffran has lost his mojo.

Colback and Gayle back in is a priority.

Diamé has not been training very hard while in Gabon.

• Legolas

Feb 2, 2017 at 11:06 AM

I watched the game again this morning. (I know glutton for punishment). I posted this last night but I honestly think Hayden is awful. I don’t see what he prongs to the team. He can’t psss. He looks miles off the pace and gets caught, a lot. Some on here were saying he would be the next big thing. I must be missing something. Colback gets slated but he would be in my team over Hayden.

Mind he wasn’t the only poor player last night. The back four where terrible and Perez. Oh my god. Need to wake up before Saturday.

• lochinvar

Feb 2, 2017 at 11:11 AM

Lesh, Belfast etc
    Well observed on my thoughts on Cathro.
    I guess I was just looking for explanations, excuses, solace after last nights shocker.
    Back to the Tarot cards and Crystal Ball then for me !