Confident Rafa Benitez Talks About Steve McClaren

At yesterday’s press conference and in his other interviews yesterday Rafa Benitez was very upbeat and even jovial at times, following the worrying stories yesterday morning that he was possibly leaving Newcastle United in the summer.

Rafa is a savvy guy and he refused to say what would happen in the summer, as he wants everybody to concentrate their energy on getting Newcastle United promoted soon.

In the final 18 games of the season he wants to win as many games as possible to not only secure promotion but to win the Championship.

Rafa Benitez – confident of promotion

Here’s some of what he said yesterday as reported in the Northern Echo and he has said he gets on well with manager Steve McClaren and he doesn’t want the fans to concentrate on Steve’s presence this afternoon:

“It’s important to understand that everyone can express their feelings like they want to, but concentrating on supporting the team is the main thing.”

“I tell the players, fighting on the pitch will change nothing, what you have to do is score goals.” “Hopefully the fans will concentrate on supporting the team and that will be the best news for us.”

“I had contact with Steve when he left.”  “I sent him a message, and got one back from him, I know he had a difficult situation here.”

“I have a very good relationship with him, we’re not close friends because I do not see him often enough, but we’ll have a drink afterwards.”

“We are in a fantastic position,” “I have confidence we can not just earn promotion but also win the title.”

“If you look at the other teams in the Championship, you don’t see too many better than us.”

More good words there from Rafa who showed what a great leader he is in his meetings with the press  yesterday.

One very good thing that has happened is the stories of Rafa possibly leaving the club  have galvanized the fans around fully supporting Rafa and the players.

There will be another full house at St. James’ Park  today and we can expect Rafa chants to be in full vogue.

And his calls for unity from everybody associated with the club from the owner down will only help Newcastle’s drive for promotion.

But we need to start winning games and that’s what we have to do this afternoon.

If we cannot beat Steve McClaren’s Derby County today that would be hard to take again, after we threw away 2 points on Wednesday night against QPR with a last minute own goal.

How Will Newcastle Fare Against Derby?

View Results
Loading ... Loading ...

• sing in the corner

Feb 4, 2017 at 8:05 AM

Hope Diame plays in behind Murphy or Mitro to start today. When he inevitably blows up on the hour mark, maybe give Perez a run off he bench depending on the state of the game and I pray he scores at the Gallwgate end.
    Respect to the toon army, who gave him a good hand as he trudged off, the lad looked shot to bits after his 2 cock ups on Wednesday. Needs a shot in the arm that lad.

• toontaff2

Feb 4, 2017 at 8:11 AM

Perez needs a shot from the EAST stand sniper, ala Steven Taylor!!

• toontaff2

Feb 4, 2017 at 8:12 AM

Surely the players would be too embarrassed to lose to Tufty!

• sing in the corner

Feb 4, 2017 at 8:14 AM

🙂 mind Taff…
    If I don’t hear your dulcet Welsh male voice choir tones booming from behind me today I will be holding you to account.
    ‘There’ll be a welcome in the Gallowgate!’

• toontaff2

Feb 4, 2017 at 8:26 AM

You just need to cock your left ear!!!
    Would be good if the whole Gallowgate kept the noise levels up for the full game!
    Mind the corner does not half make some noise – great effort!

• Jib

Feb 4, 2017 at 8:26 AM

toontaff

Perez just needs some one on one with Mikel Antia (he’s the tall slim one with glasses who takes notes next to Rafa at games)

He’s studied sports psychology in Quatar.

Young Ayoze just needs to be told about his decision making and reminded he has more time in the championship to weigh up his options.

At least he’s getting in positions to make mistakes.

• toontaff2

Feb 4, 2017 at 8:27 AM

Mind nowt dulcet about my tones!

• sing in the corner

Feb 4, 2017 at 8:29 AM

Taff
    Never met a Welshman who didn’t think he could sing though..

• Moonraker15

Feb 4, 2017 at 8:32 AM

There isn’t a better manager in the world than Rafa. He’s pure class!

• toontaff2

Feb 4, 2017 at 8:33 AM

Perez is the new Colback, on here!
    His saved shot was not really that bad, but then affected his confidence so he crossed poorly when a shot would have been the better option. I hope he gets a hat trick, today, though I have Diame in the Bingo!
    And the mental Serb also needs a boost!
    As pointed out, he did at least look threatening against QPR!

• ShirebrookToon

Feb 4, 2017 at 8:33 AM

Blow the roof of today lads. Need to get the place rocking again.

• ShirebrookToon

Feb 4, 2017 at 8:35 AM

I want Darlow to score lol

• toontaff2

Feb 4, 2017 at 8:35 AM

The voice always improves with alcohol!
    I can’t sing but I don’t care!
    Others near me will, but they should drown me outwith more noise!

• Moonraker15

Feb 4, 2017 at 8:36 AM

Toontaff
    Perez needs to be dropped! Not for his good but for ours! He’s not good enough at the moment!

• c-dog

Feb 4, 2017 at 8:38 AM

Diame back is massive. Hayden worked hard on Wed but his touches didn’t have their usual aura of silk. Similar to Perez. Great work rate the other night. Sometimes players have bad games. Both of them might need a time out. Darlow giving no shout was 100% at fault for the goal. And he’s been a collosus in the sticks for us. It was just one of those nights. Let’s do it today. Howay!!!!

• JP...from The Rock

Feb 4, 2017 at 8:54 AM

We are too goal shy of a team to be highly confident in promotion. I am sweating on Gayles’ fitness as he is our only natural goalscorer and look lost without him. Him and Shelvey get injured long term and that’s our promotion out the window. I prefer Murphy to Mutro too as Mitro needs 5 chances to score whereas Murphy only needs a couple it seems. And Murphy is much more involved in games with his mobility. I can’t stand to watch Mitro just strut around the pitch without breaking a sweat. I would accept that if he were a proper goalscorer but that he aint.