Rafa Benitez Salutes The Fans After Tremendous Win

After the very good 1-0 win against an in-form Derby County today, Rafa saluted the fans for their terrific support of the lads after he had requested that everybody get behind Newcastle as we make our push for promotion.

The fans were just great today and it was a packed out St. James’ Park of over 52,000 fans in what was a vital win for us and took us back to the top of the Championship table.

Rafa’s names was chanted throughout the game as the fans gave incredible support to the team and helped them over the line in another tense finish.

Rafa Benitez on the touchline today

Here’s what Rafa had to say after the 1-0 win today:

“It was a pity that we had to suffer a little bit as we had chances,”

“Every three points will be important. It doesn’t matter how you get them.” “We are doing well.”

“Today the positive was the communication between the fans and players.” “All this created a very good atmosphere.”

“The fans realise that they can make a different in some games like this one. “The fans are ready to help the team.”

“The players responded, and the fans are happy with that.”  “I could feel the atmosphere.”

With the 3 points today it’s everything we wanted – a win, a clean sheet, a sold-out St. James’ Park.

And a very happy Rafa Benitez.

🙂

Where’s that bottle of Merlot ….

PosTeamGamesGDPoints
1Newcastle464594
2Brighton463493
3Reading46485
4Sheffield Wednesday461581
5Huddersfield46-281
6Fulham462880

Who Was Newcastle's Best Player Against Derby?

View Results
Loading ... Loading ...

• Jib

Feb 4, 2017 at 6:45 PM

I can see Brentford nicking a point off of Brighton tomozz

• Clematis

Feb 4, 2017 at 6:48 PM

Jail from about 9 threads ago…..

…aye, Rafa’s name was mentioned once or twice!

Mitro did lead the line well but he should have scored. He got fouled repeatedly with no leniency from the ref that made Steve Martin look like Mark Clattenburg.

And credit to Hanley who bossed it. And Dummett made some great tackles and headers.

Getting Atsu and Gayle back should get us revving again.

Oh, and Shelvey getting roister-doistered by Island Hair Schteve at the end. I would have planted the fake-faced f@cker.

• Clematis

Feb 4, 2017 at 6:50 PM

Jib – i can see Brentford getting more than a point if they play like they did at home to Villa.

Fingers crossed.

• bettyswallocks

Feb 4, 2017 at 7:13 PM

Much better atmosphere today. Got a bit twitchy last fifteen minutes but not the same tension in the ground as Wednesday. Got my ticket for Brighton away on 28 th. A few old mates going down so looking forward to that couple of days on the lash.

Hopefully things will start to become more positive now apart from lost cause wums like Gorgon headed Zola.

• Mag52

Feb 4, 2017 at 7:24 PM

Maybe we need some behind the scenes shenanigans every week if it gets the crowd up like they were today.
    Our twelfth man.

• Legolas

Feb 4, 2017 at 7:25 PM

I can’t help but laugh at villa.

• Bobbybee

Feb 4, 2017 at 7:26 PM

Everything 100% improvement from Wednesday night today. The fans were on top form and need to repeat that every game. Singing from start to finish and letting Rafa know what we think of him. The lads played really well, but the injury to Hayden and the consequent reshuffle took the fluidity out of it. Pity, because the performance was greatly improved.
    Yedders flying. The bald eagle pinging it around majestically and a special mention for the much maligned Dummett. Pretty much had Ince in his pocket, which stifled the attack. Only downside was not being out of sight earlier, but that appears to be a repeating problem. Gayle’s return should improve that greatly. He was unlucky with the turn and shot, but needs to challenge in the air better – not something you might expect to say of the lad. Darlow had the odd scary moment, but generally kept them out well.
    All in all a much better day at the office for the entire club – gaffer, players and fans. As for the ref, the mind boggles. Has he just passed his exam? Has he even taken one? How the clattering of Perez when through on goal wasn’t even deemed a foul I have no idea whatsoever, but it was consistent with the rest of his afternoon. To call him crap would be insulting dog turds. Woeful yet again. If I complain about PL refs ever again, please remind me of this season. I honestly can’t remember it being this bad last time around.
    Anyway, three crucial points against the form team, who apart from their little rally late on, looked anything but. Get Gayle back for some of next weeks game, then he should start against Villa and Lansbury. What a nice welcome he’ll get! 😉

• Blackley and Brownlie

Feb 4, 2017 at 7:26 PM

Hibbit
    Forest’s number 45 has done more in 10 minutes than Mitro did all game. If Mitro was called Alan Milburn from Wallsend, he wouldn’t get anywhere near the first team. Lazy bastard Mitro gets Rafa’s walk around “exemption card” every time he plays.

• Bobbybee

Feb 4, 2017 at 7:28 PM

He=Mitro.

• Blackley and Brownlie

Feb 4, 2017 at 7:29 PM

Can’t believe anyone says Mitro led the line well. Surely you could not have been at the match to say this? Absolute waste of space.

Motm for me was Dummett. Diame was decent.

• Legolas

Feb 4, 2017 at 7:34 PM

Blackley,

I take it you where at the match ? I like Dummett. I think he gets a raw deal on here. I listen to the match on radio but obviously it’s not the same by sounds of it, Yedlin played well. Your thoughts ?

• Blackley and Brownlie

Feb 4, 2017 at 7:34 PM

Bobby. Mitro unlucky with the turn and shot? My mother’s 70 next weekend and she would’ve kept her head and made a better fist of it. I cannot believe what I’m watching.

• Charlie in the Gallowgate

Feb 4, 2017 at 7:37 PM

Just got in

Much much better for 65 – 70 minutes – quicker tempo moved the ball should of been further ahead before we started to get nervous and pain.

Lucky to collect the three points in the end – great header off the line by Yedlin and they missed to open goals. But all in all much better and the crowd were u for it today.

Diame and Hanley made a big difference today

Diame first half was excellent linking up the play in a more forward role – lost his impetus when dropped back like a third centre half.

Mitrovich – waste of space and Hayden was not much better – looks like he is carrying a injury.

Dummett my man of the match great tackle commanded the air and was good coming forward.

Others that stood out Yedlin and Hanley

Merit marks
    Darlow 7 did what he had to do until nerves crept i dropped a cross ad his kicking was poor.

Yedlin 8 one of his best games in a TOON shirt but needs to get his crosses in
    Clark 7 Steady game bur again his distribution at the end was poor
    Hanley 8 Best game in a TOON shirt marshalled the back four and played a lot closer to Clark so no big hole through the middle for Derby to drive.
    Dummett 9 superb game for the TOON defended like a Trojan and got forward to link up – put a couple of good crosses in

Ritchie 7 got lucky with deflection for goal but had a better game – still has to stop given needless free kicks away
    Shelvey 7 Quite today but still got involved and distribution was OK – linked up with Diame
    Diame 8 Excellent first half ran the show drove forward well and disrupted play – linked up with Shelvey – but drifted out of theme when Derby were on the front foot
    Goufran 6 put in a lot of work tackled and did the dirty stuff but not as effective as he was earlier in the season
    Hayden 4 poor today looked a yard ad half off the pace – got caught in possession to many times – looked like he was carrying injury and no surprise he came off at half time.
    Mitrovich 4 Poor seems he does not want to head the ball looking for the defender to knock out the way and chest the ball down – had new boots on – looked like they were falloff lead.

subs
    Sammi 2 not on long enough – don’t know if he touched the ball
    Lacsclles – not on long enough
    Perez 5 same again plenty of running but gets knocked off the ball to easy – yet nearly scored at the end – goalie was lucky should of had a free kick at least.

RAFA 7 choice of team yes I agreed with his changes in starting eleven
    maybe got to rest Hayden. Me would of brought Murphy on for Mitro after a hour.

Crowd 8 -10 sang most of the game but became anxious last twenty minutes when we started to get nervous

All – All – good result – yet should not of been hanging on at the end

Ref 2 – piss poor like most in this league

• Blackley and Brownlie

Feb 4, 2017 at 7:41 PM

Legolas
    Dummett gets a raw deal because he’s called Paul Dummett not Paulo Dummetri from Lazio. Proper defender for me.

We rode our luck in the latter stages as the team loses its way again and Rafa gets increasingly defensive in his substitutions and formations. We need Gayle back desperately and he needs to hit thd ground running. He and Shelvey are vital to get the performances and results ticking along comfortably. We look very ordinary without one or the other.

• Bobbybee

Feb 4, 2017 at 7:43 PM

Goes against the grain to praise the mackems, but wiping that smug grin off Hippo Heeds face was priceless. I will even happily accept the return of the derby next season and the mackems survival if it means he takes Palace down. From the top job in the land to relegation would be just desserts for that horrible arrogant git.

• Australian Pie

Feb 4, 2017 at 7:48 PM

We won, be happy! Well done lads.
    Can someone ban Gorgonzola from be the blog, his negativity Could be the reason suicide rates are on the rise.

• Blackley and Brownlie

Feb 4, 2017 at 7:50 PM

I agree with Charlie, as usual. I said the other night that Huddersfield’s team probably cost less than we paid for Mitrovic. Mitrovic would not get in Wagner’s team. The lad gave almost nothing. He did one full out sprint over 10 yards to close down and three or four chest lay offs, not all successful.

• Blackley and Brownlie

Feb 4, 2017 at 7:54 PM

I can’t get away with Perez but at least he works hard. I’d take him over Mitro any time.

• Blackley and Brownlie

Feb 4, 2017 at 7:56 PM

And Sammy Ameobi. Hopeless. Sorry to be so negative after a win but it was far from convincing. Just want to keep it real. Howay. Let’s be honest.

• Blackley and Brownlie

Feb 4, 2017 at 7:57 PM

Too many promising moves break down at Hayden.

• bettyswallocks

Feb 4, 2017 at 7:58 PM

• Blackley and Brownlie

Feb 4, 2017 at 8:00 PM

I’m delighted for Grant Hanley. He’s a nice lad and just wants a run in the side. Did well, played his part in clean sheet, although I’d like to see on TV how Derby managed to get in behind so easily on two or three occasions. Very worrying.

• magpie6699

Feb 4, 2017 at 8:02 PM

I can’t believe some of the player ratings from some local newspapers. One paper gave Mitro 7 and Dummett 6 for God’s sake. We all thought Mitro was appalling. I accept that he’s young and raw but for a young player he put very little effort in apart from one defensive trackback. At one point he almost broke into a trot in the second half to sarcastic comments from all round me. . Equally Perez was given 5 by the same paper but he at least harries and finds some good runs – one shot blocked for a corner as he cut in from the left, one cross for Mitro nearly worked and one shot cleared off the line (well, almost) when their keeeper should have been sent off for cleaning him out half an hour after he’d already lobbed him. The ref was appalling – didn’t even speak to the keeper.and blatant pushes went unpunished all the time, especially a barge in the back in the penalty area on Ritchie near the end. Small wonder they came back into the game but really only one major chance missed by them.

• frankie

Feb 4, 2017 at 8:03 PM

With respect, people who say Mitro was anything other than abysmal obviously weren’t present today. For me the game changed once Diamme dropped back. Hopefully Gayle back next week as well as Atsu.

• Legolas

Feb 4, 2017 at 8:05 PM

Howay Bobbybee, that’s a bit much. I hate the maccums. Lmao.

• Bobbybee

Feb 4, 2017 at 8:07 PM

All about opinions B&B. Most of us appeared to enjoy it, only the odd few unhappy with the performance overall and some of those are only ever happy when they’re whining anyway. You’re becoming in danger of being one of them yourself lately mate. 🙂 If you didn’t enjoy that I’m at a loss of what to say. Like I say, opinions are opinions and everyone has one.

• Legolas

Feb 4, 2017 at 8:09 PM

Blackley,

I have said on here a few times I dont rate Hayden. I would rather play Colback myself. IMHO.

• Blackley and Brownlie

Feb 4, 2017 at 8:13 PM

Legolas
    For me, Hayden does a good job defensively. I’d take him over Colback, whose performances wind me up.

• Goofy

Feb 4, 2017 at 8:14 PM

Well done to lads today. We controlled the game for 70 mins with 19 shots at goal and 8 on target. Thought Diame was great at closing them down, he has a real fast 20 yard burst, probably one of the fastest 20 yard sprinters in the team.
    Feel a bit sorry for Mitro, if only his ability could match his passion, i reckon he’ll score quite a few with a good run in the team.
    Perez is great, he takes a lot of flack on here, mostly undeserved i’d say. He harasses defences just as good as any of our strikers, he needs a good work out in the gym and a bit more aggression, if he had that in his bag he’d be up there with the best of them.

• hibbit

Feb 4, 2017 at 8:15 PM

Blackley and Brownlie
    Bens starting to look a handful ,hes got a good football brain that he uses well pleased to see him making the step up which came out of the blue but he must be doing something right in training seems to thrive on it always gives 100% good watch
    well pleased for him and my mate his grandad

• JamesToon

Feb 4, 2017 at 8:16 PM

Definitely think the change in atmosphere does make a huge difference, players don’t try to force it, keep trying and stay focused when it’s positive. When there’s constant moans and groans you get players like Yedlin not taking people on as much, players just getting rid of the ball in case they get criticised.
    Well done to the fans today

• Bobbybee

Feb 4, 2017 at 8:17 PM

I don’t think anybody has said Mitro had a good game have they? Must’ve missed it. His challenging in the air is poor for a big lad, but I think he was unlucky with the turn and shot. On another day it would have gone inside the post, but like any player, when you’re off form, nothing goes right for you. Perez is a fine example of that. Nothing he tries goes right lately. I can see both being shifted out in the summer if I’m honest.

• JamesToon

Feb 4, 2017 at 8:17 PM

My god Villa 14th!

• Moonraker15

Feb 4, 2017 at 8:18 PM

Anyone know if Ashley was at the game today?

• Legolas

Feb 4, 2017 at 8:18 PM

Blackley,

I don’t necessarily think we signed Hayden as a central midfielder. I think he would be a better centre half, personally. I think that’s why Rafa wanted another CM.

• Moonraker15

Feb 4, 2017 at 8:21 PM

Still the neggars are moaning ffs !

• Bobbybee

Feb 4, 2017 at 8:27 PM

Legolas, I know matey, so do I, but the derbies are normally enjoyable – although not lately. 🙂 I reckon next season they could give us six points when Rafa brings in his summer signings. That said though, I can’t see them staying up if I’m honest. Apart from today – and God only knows where that came from – they’ve been dismal all season – along with the last few seasons.
    Hull are doing well now. Sold their two best players but this Marco Silva has got them playing some good football. Leicester must be getting worried! 🙂 First champions to get relegated? Definitely a possibility now, with teams below them picking up points.
    Nice to see Villa on another good run as well. 🙂

• Bobbybee

Feb 4, 2017 at 8:31 PM

James, bang on marra. It definitely makes a difference to the players when the atmosphere is positive. Maybe need to get Ashley to stick his nose in more often! 🙂 (I jest of course)

• ronaldo aarons

Feb 4, 2017 at 8:31 PM

Longstaff scored again for Kilmarnock. That’s 2 in 2. He should have been given his opportunity here, I think he’s ready and would offer us goals from cm.

• Toonces

Feb 4, 2017 at 8:32 PM

Watched the game on TV. and While I agree the best place to watch the game is in the stands, since I live a few thousand miles away it is tough to make all the matches 🙂 That said, tv does have some advantages such as seeing replays. I don’t think Mitro had a good game and was overall poor but he was largely responsible for a couple nice touches and awareness to set up Ritchie for the goal. So you can say he did nothing at all and was 100% useless today but that is some hyperbole. I think his game was pretty decent first half but suffered in the second after Hayden was injured and Diame moved back to the midfield. He does need to vastly improve overall or he will sit on the bench or be off somewhere else. I wish he would just play strong instead of falling over at all the contact. Very frustrating to watch. He has the physical tools just doesn’t seem to have the work rate or the taste for the bumping and grinding.