Newcastle Injury Situation Clearing Up Nicely

If everything goes according to plan it could be that come Saturday we have only two injured players in the squad and that would be Vurnon Anita and Rolando Aarons, who is probably out with his ACL injury until the summer.

Vurnon has an ankle injury but it doesn’t seem the ligaments are damaged and he will be out maybe another three weeks at least.

Jack Colback was out initially because of the bad gash on his eye and then he took sick, but hopefully Jack will be fit for the game at Wolves on Saturday.

With Isaac Hayden’s groin playing up again, it could be he’s playing too many games and would need to rest and maybe Jack could come straight into the side to partner Jonjo Shelvey.

Dwight Gayle – could be back shortly

Isaac has played 31 times with one goal for Newcastle already this season – the most games he has ever played in one season.

Hopefully, top scorer Dwight Gayle will have recovered from his hamstring problems to at least be in the squad for Saturday’s game at Molineux, but we’re sure Rafa will take no chances with Dwight.

The manager has to be 100% certain everything has healed because the hamstring is a chronic injury and he missed games last season because of the same problem.

We also don’t want such an important player injured again this season.

Newcastle also have Mo Diame, Christian Atsu and Chancel Mbemba back from the African Cup of Nations and Rafa has also fortified the squad with Sammy Ameobi and Jamie Sterry, two local lads who have both returned from their half-season loan spells at Bolton and Coventry respectively.

So Rafa should have nearly a full squad to choose from quite soon.

That’s very good timing, as we push on for promotion back to the Premier League this season.

Howay The Lads!!

Feb 6, 2017 at 8:32 PM

Tbh, I prefer Colback partnering Shelvey. Although he’s not technically as good his work rate and love for the dirty part of the job allows Shelvey to perform his magic. The less nitty gritty Shelvey has to do, the less chance of him getting involved in anything naughty and getting booked/sent off. He does have that side to him after all. 🙂 We don’t want to lose him again.

• 9

Feb 6, 2017 at 8:36 PM

Sadly, Aarons is as much use as a chocolate fireguard: talented as he undoubtedly is, he’s one of those guys who is permanently injury-prone, it seems.

Feb 6, 2017 at 8:37 PM

Whilst I remember Ed, I believe your six month test is due very soon. Best of luck with that and hopefully you have another clean slate. I know I speak for the entire blog when I say that. Best wishes marra.

• sing in the corner

Feb 6, 2017 at 8:38 PM

Bobby
    No argument from me there on Colback mate. It’s about partnerships in midfield, and Colback / Shelvey is the best one we have that I’ve seen together. Could it be improved? Absolutely. Right now, they can do the job.

• ShirebrookToon

Feb 6, 2017 at 8:40 PM

Bobby, glad I’m not the only one that thinks colback plays better with Shelvey. He seems to play the ball forward more too when partnering Shelvey.

• Essex Geordie Bill

Feb 6, 2017 at 8:40 PM

Interesting comment about crowd sizes earlier, I was looking at crowd stats on MOTD and thinking we were getting more than anyone else. In some cases we were getting more than two of them added together.

• toontaff2

Feb 6, 2017 at 8:41 PM

Bobby, Let’s hope Wolves also struggle to pick out Shelvey fromYedlin and Gouff, in the floodlights!

Feb 6, 2017 at 8:41 PM

Sing, I imagine Rafa will look for an improvement in the summer. Until then though, they work better together than any other combination I’ve seen. Like you say, it’s not about individuals, it’s what works best for the team.

Feb 6, 2017 at 8:44 PM

Toontaff, Shelvey needs to keep his head down there, because they’ll be on the wind up for sure. I hope he gets his own back by setting up goals and not by getting involved.

• jimmysmith

Feb 6, 2017 at 8:44 PM

I hope that Rafa has not tried to marginalise Carr too much. We’ll need 5 influential additions in the right positions to do well next year, and probably need to spend 70 million to get them, and 70 million won’t get them from the obvious markets. If we have Rafa vetting the players, and the club prepared to spend on Carr’s top recommendations then we can do well, and increase our chances of maintaining harmony among the powerbrokers at the club and of being successful on the pitch.

• toontaff2

Feb 6, 2017 at 8:45 PM

It would make sense to play Jack and rest Hayden. No point risking aggravating an injury.

• dok - the horrid colonial

Feb 6, 2017 at 8:47 PM

bobby @ 3,

thank you for that.. perfectly said… we may have differing opinions, but in that, we all can agree… well done sir, well done…

• toontaff2

Feb 6, 2017 at 8:48 PM

##On Sky, too, so they’ll be wanting Jonjo to give them some controversy to chat about!

Feb 6, 2017 at 8:48 PM

Jimmy, amen to that. Working together properly I’m sure it can work to our advantage.

Feb 6, 2017 at 8:50 PM

Dok, differing opinions make a blog what it is mate. That goes above any opinions though and something we can all agree on.

• CAC

Feb 6, 2017 at 8:50 PM

Wonder if Mbemba could play a little DM if Colback or Hayden can’t go?

• toontaff2

Feb 6, 2017 at 8:51 PM

McCarthy played and scored for Everton v Bournemouth. Koeman was not prepared to sell him, even if we ever thought about bidding.

• ShirebrookToon

Feb 6, 2017 at 8:51 PM

When is Atsu due back does anyone know?

Feb 6, 2017 at 8:52 PM

Toontaff, Aye, I did wonder why they’d picked that game in particular. Makes sense now. 🙂

• dok - the horrid colonial

Feb 6, 2017 at 8:52 PM

bobby, may I ask where you sit at st james?

Feb 6, 2017 at 8:54 PM

Shirebrook, should be at least on the bench this week I reckon. Should be back now.

CAC, sounds like a good idea. He has played there before.

Feb 6, 2017 at 8:55 PM

Dok, In the North West Corner,in line with the Leazes goal.

• posada

Feb 6, 2017 at 9:05 PM

Bobby
    I have sat there for twenty years.
    your not the fella with the ginger tupee with real grey hair round the edges by any chance.

Feb 6, 2017 at 9:05 PM

Well, just got a new book from the library so need to make a start on it. It’s the Wheel Of Time set of books by Robert Jordan. I did read up to Book Eleven years ago, but then the author died. However he left notes and someone else has finished it off. Being so long since I last read them I would be lost just reading the last couple, so the best thing to do is start again. Each book is about 8-900 pages and it’s a convoluted story, so I have little option if I want to know how it finally ended – 3 and I do. Love a bit of fantasy. Escape from this world ‘orrible world 🙂 later chaps.

• posada

Feb 6, 2017 at 9:06 PM

Only joking my friend but you might know who I mean.

Feb 6, 2017 at 9:06 PM

Posada, bugger, you’ve sussed me out! 🙂 Catch ye all later.

• jimmysmith

Feb 6, 2017 at 9:07 PM

Rafa clearly likes his big centre backs, at least this term, and while I think Hayden and Colback have been very good fDM’s or us, I would like to see more of Mbemba who surely is too good to go an entire season so rarely used.

Shelvey Mbemba
    Sammy Ritchie Gayle
    Mitro

That’s just one selection and set up of midfield and attacking players that surely would do well for us, and one where players like Murphy, Atsu, Gouffran, Perez, Hayden, Colback, Diame can all easily slot straight in depending on form and availability.

Feb 6, 2017 at 9:08 PM

Posada, can’t say I do mate, but I’ll look for him now though lol.

• jimmysmith

Feb 6, 2017 at 9:19 PM

DM’s isn’t the right term is it though for us. We play two deep lying central mids. Hayden is definitely box to box, and while Shelvey sprays it around from deep, he also loves and is constantly looking to get into the final third. Colback perhaps focuses more on holding a defensive shape, but also gets forward in support.

• posada

Feb 6, 2017 at 9:22 PM

Jail mentioned how the supporters have changed. In the North West Corner ten years ago the folks near to me were the same every week. That went on for years. It was canny good craik etc.By about 6-7 years ago most had gone. Now it’s different every week.
    Didn’t particularly mind that , but 3 or 4 times a season you would end up sitting next to a complete knacker.
    One game this fella was steaming drunk. His mate dropped an open can of pop on my head. I said nowt because worse things used to happen back in the day.
    But, I must have looked a bit annoyed so he wanted to kick off.
    My nephew and son were sitting next to me. Both over 6’1” and fifteen stone and some. When he realised they were actually with me he disappeared for a pie and never came back.

• posada

Feb 6, 2017 at 9:24 PM

Jimmy
    On Saturday it seemed to me that Hayden was making the forward runs in advance of Shelvey.

• jimmysmith

Feb 6, 2017 at 9:31 PM

Yeah, Hayden does seem to get forward a lot, which you’d expect in a dominant side. We are prepared to start from deep, and probe, but the two central mids also both constantly chime in throughout the 90. They both certainly run about.

• Fostino

Feb 6, 2017 at 9:43 PM

Can mbemba be our kante

• sing in the corner

Feb 6, 2017 at 9:45 PM

Vuckic scores the winner for the reserves tonight…
    He couldn’t, could he?

• posada

Feb 6, 2017 at 9:48 PM

Playing that way Shelvey will be called on to defend.
    Actually he will regularly be called on to defend.
    I sometimes think that therein lies our problem. Great offensively, but at times a weakness, when the other side attack.
    Whatever the set up its certainly not Drinkwater and Kante from last years Champions. Graeme Souness was talking about it at the weekend. You’ve really got to be disciplined in there and always think about not exposing your centre backs.

• posada

Feb 6, 2017 at 9:50 PM

I agree with previous posters as well Jack Colback would be my foil to Shelvey.
    Was he in that role during our good run. I think so.

• jimmysmith

Feb 6, 2017 at 9:51 PM

Mmmm, perhaps that’s why Shelvey and Colback has worked well for us, and why Mbemba Shelvey also could.

• Jail for Ashley

Feb 6, 2017 at 9:52 PM

Bobby,
    You missed my point completely and made out that I’ve got something against students attending. My point was that after years of regulars chucking it in replaced by stag do’s and students who don’t support the club but are there because the tickets are cheap, you wouldn’t have got a platinum club ticket for 15 quid if the club were showing ambition. Non regulars mixed with day trippers do not make as much noise and it has had a knock on effect.

• Jail for Ashley

Feb 6, 2017 at 9:56 PM

hibbit,
    I pay £670 for me and the bairn.

• posada

Feb 6, 2017 at 10:02 PM

Vuckic
    I remember those european games a few years back. He looked like a player. He has gone back instead of forward.

I suppose we need the corporates, the transients and even the prawn sandwich lot, but it’s just where to put them.