So What Did McClaren Tell Rafa After The Game?

After the game Rafa and Steve McClaren said they would have a glass of wine together and have a talk – maybe they even shared a full (large) bottle?

We’d love to have been a fly on the wall to hear what McClaren had to say.

And also what Rafa had to say for that matter, about what really happened last month in the transfer window and what had been promised to him.

Rafa Benitez and Steve McClaren after the game

The topic of conversation of course being owner Mike Ashley and both men seem to like each other, so they would have freely shared their stories.

Rafa will have heard direct from the former manager what he thought his trials and tribulations were at Newcastle – apart from losing far too many games.

So Steve losing again at St. James’ Park would be nothing knew to him after his disastrous spell on Tyneside which lasted a short eight months.

And that was far too long for most Geordie fans.

This is what Steve said he would do after the game on Saturday:

“I’ll have a glass of wine and a good conversation, and it will be very interesting, but it’s private – very private,”

“But please don’t take me back – my focus is not on Newcastle, or on Rafa’s problems, only on ours.”

Newcastle’s attendance of 52,271 – out best of the season – was apparently the biggest crowd in all of British football on Saturday, according to the Northern Echo.

Newcastle United are receiving magnificent support from their fans this season – it’s just great to see – and in the English second division too.

Note – talking about the second division most readers picked up on my deliberate mistake in the Hanley article yesterday when I wrote he had last started for Newcastle in the first Premier League game of the season at Fulham.

Tell you the truth I had even forgotten I had put that little test in there.

🙂

• cyprus

Feb 6, 2017 at 8:52 AM

So Ed my man, you make deliberate mistakes to keep us on our toes!

Wouldn’t ‘we’ love to be flies on the wall, rather than a single fly? Was that a test? (Just messing)

Love Rafa’s unique strategy: to win every game! I mean, come on other coaches, couldn’t you think of that one yourselves? Does Rafa have to tell you everything?

• Jail for Ashley

Feb 6, 2017 at 8:52 AM

Shut it Steve you are a mere blot on our history.

• lochinvar

Feb 6, 2017 at 8:53 AM

Steve, ” what’s it like here ? ”
    Rafa ” you don’t know ? ”
    Steve ” not really, never quite got what it’s all about ”
    Rafa ” more wine Steve ? ”
    Steve ” the more the merrier ”
    Rafa ” hasta la vista baby “

• Jail for Ashley

Feb 6, 2017 at 8:55 AM

Cyprus,
    Maybe he was on about him and his son.

• martoon

Feb 6, 2017 at 9:02 AM

I always stay clear of the post match madness on here. My take on the game for what it’s worth – we started well with some good moves, a lot better than Wednesday night. However we started to fade a little and Derby were coming into the game when we scored which you could say was against the run of play. After that we were pretty dominant and should have scored a second to make it comfortable but we didn’t – Diame & Mitro with notable misses. When Hayden went off we had to change around and this seemed to disrupt us – Derby came back strongly and we were hanging on at the end with Rafa going ultra defensive playing 3 centre backs. My man of the match was Yedlin. Mitro had a mixed game, he did some good knock downs, an assist in the goal, missed that sitter and a lot of the time strolled around looking disinterested!

• cyprus

Feb 6, 2017 at 9:03 AM

Jail,
    That’s two flies, plural. Splitting hairs.

Anyway, if we win half our remaining games we’re home dry, right?

PS how do I block ads on my mobile for this site? It’s scewing up my keyboard

• Moonraker15

Feb 6, 2017 at 9:59 PM

I heard Tufty taking credit for signing Jonjo. I didn’t hear him admit to being an abject failure as manager! What a thick skinned egotistical pr1ck he is! I hate his guts!