Poll – Can Newcastle Keep Winning At Norwich?

The last three games we have played against Norwich City have been (very) dramatic affairs.

There was the 6-2 win last season – our very first win of the season on 18th October, 2015 – and that was followed on 2nd April by the 3-2 defeat at Carrow Road when the home side scored the winner in stoppage time for what was a 6 pointer.

As it turned out, we missed an excellent chance to score in stoppage time and a (3-2) win in the game would have seen us safe at the end of the season – 3 more points – but it’s unreal to think like that.

Scot Alex Neil – 35 year-old Norwich manager

Then this season we went into stoppage time 3-2 down at St. James’ Park on 28th September and scored goals in the 5th and 6th minutes of stoppage time through Yoan Gouffran and Dwight Gayle respectively to win the game 4-3.

Norwich have always been a very well supported club so we expect a sell-out crowd at Carrow Road tomorrow night and this game will be another very difficult one for us against a good side.

How Will Newcastle Fare At Norwich City?

View Results
Loading ... Loading ...

• G

Feb 13, 2017 at 8:35 AM

I can feel a comfortable win coming on. I know Norwich have hit form of late, but I can see us coming away with 3 happy points.

• lochinvar

Feb 13, 2017 at 8:41 AM

Norwich are not likely to nor is it in their capability to keep in tight so we have every opportunity to put them under pressure and score. Might be a game where Perez and Diame can do well. Think Rafa will look to load our midfield to sap their energy and hit them on the break so Ritchie and Yeldin will be busy.

• firebug666

Feb 13, 2017 at 8:42 AM

From last thread!

G

Yeah I use to love a game of footy back then, when you were appreciated for getting stuck into a good bone crunching tackle.

Heavy boots, heavy football (that would sting even the hardest head when headed) and muddy pitches, footballers today don’t know what they are missing. ?

• toontaff2

Feb 13, 2017 at 8:57 AM

Come on Canaries – Let’s be having you!!!
    Set up to our strengths, they will want to play attacking football, bring them on, counter and score!
    A bit of niggle from Mitro – give the next whining Scot something to whinge about!

• toontaff2

Feb 13, 2017 at 9:00 AM

Gollum and HippoHeed would love the refs in the Championship, next season!
    Which one of them would explode first, with all the dodgy decisions and appalling officials?

• toontaff2

Feb 13, 2017 at 9:01 AM

Looks like the majority are going for the draw!

• sing in the corner

Feb 13, 2017 at 9:03 AM

Hang on… Stat alert from the Sky commentary..
    11 away wins so far this season..
    11.
    2 short of Keegan’s record set in the 90s.
    Playing a team like Norwich away should be well suited to our counter attack game. If only Gayle was fully fit and in the side I would be lumping on us for this one.

• G

Feb 13, 2017 at 9:04 AM

@3 Halcyon days mate!

• giimps

Feb 13, 2017 at 9:10 AM

Im going for a sneaky 1-2 win for us, just cos were better set up away from home, these away games vs Udds and Brighton will see us pull away from them i think, Brighton havent been the same since Chrissy lost his no2 and Udds , will be balls out for the win so we will just pick them off.
    Norwich 1st though should see Rafas intentions for next season ……how we will set up vs teams who like to be on the front foot…..sit back ,soak the pressure and use your pace to counter, im glad Brady has gone for them though, hes a gem

• cyprus

Feb 13, 2017 at 9:46 AM

G,
    you were that sort of player yet you have no tolerance for a player like that! Anyway, in the short fuse competition, Jonjo probably edges it, so do we all shout get rid for him too?

Players like Gerrard, Rooney, Sounness, Keane, even Shearer, relied on intimidation, or they couldn’t help themselves. It was part of their game, and if it was curtailed it even made them worse players.

Football is a contact sport, contact happens. Mitro just a few weeks received a nasty gash himself.

He’s been targeted, so yes, he must be careful. But he mustn’t lose the passion and desire to get into the mix. You may not like him as a footballer, I respect that, given his age, it could go either way… people thought Carroll is useless (or the opposite), they still do.

Early on, I thought Carroll was superstar material, still do (injuries’ concern aside). I think the same re Mitro. May be proven wrong, we’ll see. I think Mitro and Gayle would be a good atch.

• cyprus

Feb 13, 2017 at 9:46 AM

get rid of not for

• clinath@ed

Feb 13, 2017 at 9:47 AM

G…yep, that was the way to play football. I find it increasingly more difficult to enjoy watching a game today. I know the game has developed but it now seems a more designer game for artists….

• cyprus

Feb 13, 2017 at 9:48 AM

Good match, not ach… apologies, phone and quick typing

• clinath@ed

Feb 13, 2017 at 9:50 AM

Cyprus, I think you are misunderstanding G, just because you liked the physical side of the game does not mean you had to lose it every game. I played full back for years and enjoyed nothing more than wiping out a winger, but I never got booked once…and always asked the lad if he was ok.

• cyprus

Feb 13, 2017 at 9:51 AM

Clina
    That was nice of you 🙂

• WWSBRD

Feb 13, 2017 at 9:51 AM

cyprus

Shelvey is worth the trouble though and he shows signs of learning from his mistakes. Mitro doesn’t do enough on the pitch to put up with the trouble he cause and he’s not smart enough to learn

• toon kk

Feb 13, 2017 at 9:53 AM

We’ll have to lift our game to pick up points in our next few fore coming games. Playing poor and picking up points isn’t a reliable method.
    Looking forward to Gayle being fit, but we need to play well for 90 minutes, which seems to be a hard task these days.

• cyprus

Feb 13, 2017 at 9:57 AM

The wolves players seemed intent to get him sent off. The ref AND our fans went (fell?) for it.

The first was surely not a yellow, the ‘second’, I’d expect, even demand my forward to go for that 50-50.

Of course, he had to come off, if you check my comments I was among the first to say so. I’ve seen nasty, that performance wasn’t. Watch Costa, Suarez to see nasty 🙂

• cyprus

Feb 13, 2017 at 10:00 AM

WW,
    Ok that’s a different story: ability. For me, I think he has it. After last year’s performances, I thought Shelvey was crap… he’s doing good. He still needs to work on his consistency, in my mind.

On brains, I’d like to see an IQ test re Shelvey and Mitro: think it would be close 😉

• WWSBRD

Feb 13, 2017 at 10:11 AM

cyprus
    Shelvey came to us unfit and with no confidence though which can explain his poor for last season Mitro doesn’t have that excuse he’s been the same since we bought him…i don’t see it in him he’s on par with Murphy for me but without the footballing intelligence, more interested in a fight than football

I know teams target him but that’s because he’s an easy weakness we have, Id be amazed if any CB worries about facing him he’s easy to control

• Lindisfarne

Feb 13, 2017 at 10:32 AM

I can see ex-Ipswich striker Murphy getting the nod for this match, not because Mitrovic has fallen out of favour, but because we are going to the experience he brings. I do wonder why ‘fans’ go on about certain players and yellow cards without mentioning Ritchie. What’s good for the goose is good for the gander!

• Lindisfarne

Feb 13, 2017 at 10:39 AM

Mitrovic is not the first player to leave his foot in, but he was probably lucky that the he was on a soft yellow. Costa has the same mentality and was initially punished by Refs but also applauded for producing the goals also. However, Mitro does not match the abilities of the PL player.

• cyprus

Feb 13, 2017 at 10:45 AM

Maybe some defenders, even at international level, should worry a bit more if they aren’t 🙂

The lad has 9 goals in his last 24 appearances AND he hasn’t played the full 90 in many of them. In fact, in some of those he just came on for a few minutes so… they don’t count.

He’s no pushover. I understand, some people don’t like him, I respect that. But, if he misses a half chance, or jumps up with an extended elbow (terrible!) we need not pounce. That’s unfair- a yellow card offence 🙂

• WWSBRD

Feb 13, 2017 at 10:46 AM

Lindis
    Ritchie gets cards but never looms a liability that’s the difference, a lot of his come from dissent rather than fighting as well…plus can’t recall him getting a red for us? Mitros yellow wasn’t soft either it was an accumulation of could that he’d been warned for by the ref who was very forgiving imo

If Dicko had done the same we’d of been furious that he wasn’t sent off

• WWSBRD

Feb 13, 2017 at 10:54 AM

cyprus
    Why would they worry about him though? Stick a tackle in on him early doors and say something to him (anything really) and he will focus on hitting u rather than the ball then when he hits u tell the ref and off he goes…Wolves did it perfectly it’s just too easy to play against him

I don’t agree he’s no push over either tbh pretty soft for me

I’d love him to come good but he’s never going to when he doesn’t focus on playing football and he’s not got the smarts to do that

• martoon

Feb 13, 2017 at 10:54 AM

It will be interesting to see who starts up front on Tuesday. If it is Mitro then the manager is showing faith in him but if Murphy then maybe Rafa is sending a message that Mitro can’t be trusted? Of course he could surprise us and start with Gayle up front 🙂

• cyprus

Feb 13, 2017 at 10:58 AM

Last two games he played in, he must get a tiny tiny bit of credit – assist and goal.

CB’s, ignore him at your peril 😉

But, I get you, and the people who don’t fancy him, really. He’s not a 100% bet, for various reasons. Soft though? You tell him.

• Ron Knee

Feb 13, 2017 at 11:01 AM

Daryl Murphy:- “I think I was brought on to try to get the ball as far away from our box as I could really and see the game out.

“We knew what we needed and there’s no point trying to run in and score when you are in a winning position like that.”

Cynical or realistic?

• toon kk

Feb 13, 2017 at 11:03 AM

The thing is with Mitrovic he’s a liability in the respect of your on the edge of your seat just hoping he doesn’t do anything stupid at any point, we, Rafa, the team we’re playing and our players even know it.

• WWSBRD

Feb 13, 2017 at 11:05 AM

cyprus
    Goal and an assist aye fair enough but I don’t think either showed a great deal of skill the goal anyone would of scored Lascelles gets the credit there for not panicking and just kicking the ball at the net and Ritchies goal was a decent pass but there wasn’t much else he could of done (though if u look back I thought he did well enough against Derby overall). Am just tired of waiting for him to get cards in a position that u don’t need to constantly be fouling he’s not a CDM

I honestly wouldn’t be worried about calling him soft

• G

Feb 13, 2017 at 11:10 AM

Hi Cyprus, sorry about the slow response, like I said mate, different game back then, and I’m not proud of it, however, it was the way the game was played then. I don’t think I have ever seen Shelvey going in to deliberately hurt anybody in our colours? I have seen him do a couple of clumsy challenges though. I think Mitrovic now and again completely loses his sh1t though and gets downright dirty. Saturday was one of those times.

• clinath@ed

Feb 13, 2017 at 11:20 AM

Yeah Cyprus, Saint Clinath.

• jimmysmith

Feb 13, 2017 at 11:38 AM

Yeah, Mitro gets stick, but you can’t do much more than set up the winner, then score it, in successive matches. Murphy was doing the same in the preceding games. Not sure Rafa won’t stick with it once Gayle returns, and play him behind or wide. Ritchie, Perez and Gayle behind Mitro looks pretty formidable to me.

• Rotonda heights

Feb 13, 2017 at 11:38 AM

T.O.F

So you’ve managed to progress from calling people pal to d–khead. Wow !!! Your razor sharp wit and repartee have cut right through me there. How can one respond to such meaningful rhetoric? I guess you’ll be telling me your dad’s bigger than mine next.

• Rotonda heights

Feb 13, 2017 at 11:40 AM

toon kk is spot on about Mitro. I can never relax any time the ball goes near him. You just know what he and Colback are going to do.

• Munster Mag

Feb 13, 2017 at 11:48 AM

Rafa to arsenal, who’s making this up? I reckon he has the best job he’s going to get in English football.

• hibbit

Feb 13, 2017 at 11:56 AM

Munster Mag
    more fake news from our so called media partner the Mirror why do the club put up with this rubbish ??????

• Jail for Ashley

Feb 13, 2017 at 11:57 AM

Munster,
    You don’t deserve a manager like him at our club. We are the top scorers, best defence, most wins and only Brighton have less defeats yet you can not bring yourself to say a good word about him. You are gutted that Pardew got so much grief for being the bog standard shitty manager he is and are fuming that Rafa is loved so much by an overwhelming majority of Newcastle fans.

• Munster Mag

Feb 13, 2017 at 11:59 AM

Jail calm down you little girl. I don’t want him to leave either. I just don’t fawn after him like u

• Hail Wor Ashley

Feb 13, 2017 at 12:13 PM

Jail

You really do put the queen into drama.