Rafa Shows Why And How He’s A Great Motivator

Rafa Benitez must have been just a little dismayed after his Newcastle side had made such a good start to the game last night at Carrow Road and seemed to be firing on all cylinders.

Ayoze Perez fired in a great goal after just 23 seconds having been put through by Jack Colback and then Aleksandar Mitrovic was clean through and seemed to do everything right, but the ball didn’t end up in the back of the net.

But then Newcastle destructed in a short five minutes with two mistakes that gave away two sloppy goals in the 12th and 17th minutes and we were suddenly 2-1 down.

🙂

A smiling Rafa Benitez before the game last night

The first mistake came from Jamaal Lascelles when he stumbled and let the winger in to cross the ball for the first goal and then goalkeeper Karl Darlow made what may be the worst mistake of his career – so he’ll not do that again – as he miskicked the ball and let Cameron Jerome in to score.

So what does a manager do after that – two individual mistakes – after all they are human beings (damn it!).

🙂

Rafa was interviewed after the game and he says exactly what he said to Darlow and Lascelles and it just shows the confidence and brilliant man-management this man possesses.

This is what he said at half time as reported in the Chronicle:

“I didn’t have to lift them, I just told them to forget about their mistakes and concentrate on the next 45 minutes. because we were doing well and we could win the game.”

“I told them the past had gone, and they just had to concentrate on what was still to come.”

“We did well.”

“It’s always important for the team to recover, but when a player knows he has been involved in a mistake, it is even more important for him that he can score.”

“He (Lascelles) equalized the game, and the goal came at an important time.” “We were on top of them, we scored, and then we had a couple of chances to win.”

“It was a pity they didn’t go in.”

You get a glimpses from Rafa  of why players would run through a brick wall for him – he’s so supportive of the players.

Even when players want to leave the club he seems to take a special interest in what ‘s best for them.

That’s what you get when your manager completely and utterly loves the job he’s doing and he’s world-class too.

Fortunately Rafa Benitez is the manager of Newcastle United FC at the moment.

Long may that continue!

Who Was Newcastle's Best Player At Norwich?

View Results
Loading ... Loading ...

• Ibizatoon

Feb 15, 2017 at 4:28 PM

People are avoiding this thread Ed.

I suppose it’s hard to appreciate Rafa’s man management skills when we’ve been so blessed in the past. I mean, just think about Carver and his comment on Williamson’s red card

“I thought he meant it”

It’s just nothing new.

• Ron Knee

Feb 15, 2017 at 4:29 PM

The full 90 mins of yesterday’s match available on NUFC TV from 5PM.

• JamesToon

Feb 15, 2017 at 4:30 PM

Perez seems to have got MOTM v norwich, did he really have a decent game??

Just can’t decide with him, on his day, he’s agile, can dribble, hold on to the ball, work the channels, he can make good passes has great vision, gets into goal scoring positions as well and can finish, but on an off day which happens more often than not, he gets pushed off the ball, too slow, decision making poor etc

• Jib

Feb 15, 2017 at 4:48 PM

Pini Zahavi touted Mitrovic to the club at big Al’s request.
    It had nothing to do with Carr or (even more laughably) Ashley .
    He was offered to McClaren and Charnley who took him along with M’Bemba from Anderlecht.

• Average_Contents

Feb 15, 2017 at 5:21 PM

And just like that, a turd is deposited on the blog.

• Fostino

Feb 15, 2017 at 5:24 PM

Quiz question. .Who was the worst toon manager…fat Sam. ..souness…Joe kinnear. ..mcclaren…carver….I’d have to go with carver. .totally out of his depth. But I hated them all.

• Jib

Feb 15, 2017 at 5:32 PM

Fostino you missed out Ruud Gullit.

• Fostino

Feb 15, 2017 at 5:33 PM

Jib..As soon as I posed the msg I remembered him…He was pretty awful too

• Jib

Feb 15, 2017 at 5:35 PM

The 2 nice guys.
    Glenn Roeder and Chris Hughton were neither given long enough.

• Fostino

Feb 15, 2017 at 5:40 PM

Agreed…shearer is excused because of legendary status although his sidekick ian dowie was a bumbling fool and pardew did get manager of the year.daglish did come 2nd although he did dismantle a great attacking team. Sir Bobby was my fav manager. keega might have been first was it not for his 2nd stint.

• Munster Mag

Feb 15, 2017 at 5:41 PM

Ibiza, thanks for the memory! 🙂 Along with Pardew thanking himself for his input to making a signing, that’s the best quote of recent times.
    As for last night, seems to have been a much better performance. Plenty don’t agree with me, and some of the smart guys do, but I think we are far better when we “go after” teams, and this is why I have criticised Rafa. That doesnt mean I hate him Jail. He’s a good manager, although not at the level Arsenal would want and I think NUFC is the best gig he will get in England. What bigger or better clubs will go for him . West Ham? Are they bigger? Beyond that? Nope, cant think of other teams,a nd he wants to stay in England. Over to you Mr Ashley. He has done great work bringing the club some unity etc etc but I think we could be further ahead now, and proportionate to their spending, I think one or two other managers are doing better than him. Rotunda and so will say that we sold to buy, but that irrelevant because guys like Sissoko were never going to play in the championship. We spent a lot and built two teams . Once we get up, that’s all that counts, but if I see conservative football that leads to bad results, when we have better personnel on the pitch, I will say it, irrespective of shouters on the blog because they are incorrect, in my opinion. And some agree with that I think, and they know their football, eg Lilongwe. For the rest of the season, if we can attack teams like we attacked Norwich, we will be fine. I just think we can make our better players count more by attacking teams harder. Look what we did to Norwish at home when we needed goals. In terms of players, I’d like to see Mitro and Gayle in a 442 or 4411 at home. I think if Mitro can get one or two games in a row, he will relax and play better. Just my take on it.

• carl

Feb 15, 2017 at 5:43 PM

Average
    You really are, but that’s no way to talk about yourself, or were you talking about your mate jail do.

• Jail for Ashley

Feb 15, 2017 at 5:46 PM

Roeder resigned

• Munster Mag

Feb 15, 2017 at 5:49 PM

Fostino,Carver was the worst! It still rankles when I hear Souness blaming NUFC fans for over inflated expectations. All we want is a well run club, competitive in cups, maybe win one some day, and pressing for Europe ideally. About the same as Everton, West Ham and Co, reasonable enough

• Jail for Ashley

Feb 15, 2017 at 5:50 PM

Ian,
    I thought carl had stopped posting, or was that Jack Root?

• Jib

Feb 15, 2017 at 5:52 PM

I think many players (and also the coaches) will perform better when the pressure of promotion is left behind.
    I’m sure Rafa would love the luxury of being able after 60 minutes to introduce a young’un telling hin to “just express yourself”

• Jail for Ashley

Feb 15, 2017 at 5:56 PM

Munster,
    Who would you rather have instead of Rafa?

• Jail for Ashley

Feb 15, 2017 at 5:57 PM

So if you agree with Munster you’re one of the smart guys.

• Jail for Ashley

Feb 15, 2017 at 5:57 PM

ToF must be really smart.

• giimps

Feb 15, 2017 at 5:58 PM

i still think Rafa will never play attacking football from the off until he trusts his DM and defence more.
    I hope im wrong and he will let the shackles off by playing a sweeper or even a back 3 with wingbacks , at home vs weaker teams wold be mint, Laazar for dummet, Mbemba or a disciplined Hayden in dm and were laughing

• Jib

Feb 15, 2017 at 5:59 PM

Jail
    Fat Freddy held the sword while Glenn fell on it.
    There was a demo on SkySN by some fans supposedly upset at Roeder’s results – but when they were interviewed they all slagged Shepherd off – 6 days later the fat slug saved his own hide – remember he did the same to SBR.

• carl

Feb 15, 2017 at 5:59 PM

Jail

9Ed Harrison // May 2, 2007 at 1:17 AM

excellent comments Carl.

• Ibizatoon

Feb 15, 2017 at 6:00 PM

Munster…It’s all a game of opinions. Constantly linking your opinion to other perceived knowledgeable posters is somewhat cringe worthy (Not a dig at you Lil!).

For me, you and Jail are too far away from the middle ground on discussing Rafa. Jails “it’s the best we’ve had, so why rock the boat” (not a direct quote…) doesn’t wash and you do seem to constantly lean towards the negative and positives are just an also ran part of your posting.

In part, I get what you’re saying, however, what Rafa has done has been effective, so what’s the problem? He could have been more effective?

I can see this being a long term issue for you, Rafa does lean towards a cautious approach, it’s part of his philosophy, which has been a very successful one for him.

You seem to have lots less patience for Rafa than you did for Pardew, which does seem a bit odd tbh.

As for Carver, it’s always a pleasure revisiting those wild times 🙂

• Average_Contents

Feb 15, 2017 at 6:02 PM

Oh look, it’s master multiple, legend in his own minds, serial bullshitters and all round great guys.

Get a life.

Preferably before you think about deploying one of your other blog shitters.

• Average_Contents

Feb 15, 2017 at 6:03 PM

carl

Isn’t that the other carl, you know, the one with the big C.

Gobshite.

• Ibizatoon

Feb 15, 2017 at 6:05 PM

Munster…”All we want is a well run club, competitive in cups, maybe win one some day, and pressing for Europe ideally”….

….and more attacking football? 🙂

Carl…Can you let us know what the great comments were?

• Ibizatoon

Feb 15, 2017 at 6:08 PM

Ermm….

Ed Harrison // May 23, 2007 at 1:17 AM

excellent comments guys.

Well, it was post 9 at least. Carl, what’s your game?

• Average_Contents

Feb 15, 2017 at 6:09 PM

Ibiza

It’s carl with a little c.

C’mon man, sort it out, you’ll confuse them.

• Ibizatoon

Feb 15, 2017 at 6:09 PM

Sorry…just noticed my mistake. Thanks search 🙂

• Ibizatoon

Feb 15, 2017 at 6:10 PM

AC…You know me….constantly confused…

• JamesToon

Feb 15, 2017 at 6:14 PM

Thought Dummett was a lot more positive and attacking last night, want to see more of that

• Jail for Ashley

Feb 15, 2017 at 6:16 PM

Ibiza,
    Rafa has so far given the club back to the fans and I love him for that.

• Ibizatoon

Feb 15, 2017 at 6:22 PM

Jail…I agree with that 100%. We can question those who we love though, tactically.

Does anyone know when the blog started? I couldn’t get a search result for 2nd May 2007 and had to click back articles from the one I posted above (22nd May). It finishes (or should I say starts?) 6th May 2007.

• WWSBRD

Feb 15, 2017 at 6:23 PM

giimps
    I think Rafa will never play ‘attacking’ football

He has his approach and it works, we’ve scored a daft amount of goals and barely been behind away from home (along with all the other positives he’s done this season) so why would he change it?

• Jail for Ashley

Feb 15, 2017 at 6:26 PM

carl,
    The fact you’ve been posting since the beginning only shows that Ian Toon and Pushy etc were invented by you afterwards, you still deny you “know” each other despite you saying you got him a job.

• Jail for Ashley

Feb 15, 2017 at 6:33 PM

Ibiza,
    I’ve got no problem with people criticising him, he got roundly criticed after the first Blackburn game, but Munster has slated him from the start, we’d have been pummelled 6-0 by Leicester had Mclaren stayed yet Munster blamed him for an unlucky 1-0 defeat, why does Charlie in the Gallowgate feel the need to write RAFA GOT IT WRONG in block capitals when giving his match report, he doesn’t write MITROVICH MISSED A SITTER, a lot of the criticism is written purely to counter the way people are canonising him imo, which I think is petty and unnecessary.

• Jail for Ashley

Feb 15, 2017 at 6:34 PM

Ibiza,
    For some reason it’s hard to find the very first posts.

• Ibizatoon

Feb 15, 2017 at 6:37 PM

Jail…Hence my call for middle ground.

I can’t answer for anyone else and I haven’t been overly critical of Rafa, but if I had to guess, it could in part be down to that a section of fans wont hear a bad word said, even if there is an element of truth.

Munster and your tit for tat could be deemed petty and unnecessary.

Don’t think this is aimed at you, I have pointed out to Munster that he does come across as more anti Rafa than pro, which is bizarre.

• Ibizatoon

Feb 15, 2017 at 6:40 PM

Jail…I don’t understand why there wouldn’t be a “previous post” link on that article. It doesn’t read like the first ever article, but maybe Ed just jumped straight in without introduction?

I can’t however find carls post on Google. Anywhere. Only the one I posted from the 22nd, which is so close to carls it’s painful.

Carl obviously has the article though, as he cut and pasted that comment. Just a matter of time until this mess is cleared up, right carl?

• Moonraker15

Feb 15, 2017 at 6:48 PM

How come 6% voted for Darlow? He is a good goalie but last night he cost us 2 points.