It’s Not The Right Time For A Change In This Position

Every goalkeeper makes mistakes – whoever they are – and we’ve seen some howlers made by some of the best goalkeepers in the world – it’s just something that happens and the best goalkeepers put it behind them and quickly too.

There were some good comments from Newcastle goalkeeping coach Simon Smith on how the goalkeepers need to handle mistakes and of course he was right.

And Rafa Benitez is always supportive of his players so it would be a big shock if Karl doesn’t stay in goal for Newcastle – at least in the near future.

Karl Darlow – will stay in goal for Newcastle

Of course he needs to get back to playing the good consistent play we have seen from him for the vast amount of this season and last – when he was in the first team.

Karl is improving as a goalkeeper and he could even have surprised Benitez at how well he has been playing.

Certainly his attitude and temperament are first class and it was good to see how the traveling fans tried to lift him after his terrible error on Tuesday night.

If he is in goal at home against Aston Villa, then he will get good backing from the fans when he starts the game.

Obviously the fans want him to do well and will not put any extra pressure on the 26 year-old – who is a popular player at Newcastle.

Rob Elliot of course is pushing hard and will want to get his place back as soon as possible but Karl is the man in possession.

It’s up to him to put that mistake in the last game behind him and turn in another set of competent performances in the upcoming games.

Now is not the time to change the goalkeeper at Newcastle.

What do you think?

• Mister Tuff

Feb 16, 2017 at 1:00 PM

Darlow seems to be doing OK. Goalies do not have the footwork skills of outfield players (some think they have). So air shots are not that rare -it happens and happens ever since I can recall.

• Chancel My MBembaship

Feb 16, 2017 at 1:04 PM

Repost

Essex – I played in goal from my early teens up to my early 30’s and I’ve dropped many a clanger in those 20-odd years. I know exactly what it feels like seeing everyone looking at you thinking ‘you numpty’, so Darlow has my sympathy and I’d never drop a keeper after one major error. I only suggested Hart because you need a solid keeper between the sticks to compete in the Premier League (see Liverpool’s problem this season) and I’m not sure Darlow is ready to cope with the Costas and Agueros of the top flight yet.

• WWSBRD

Feb 16, 2017 at 1:04 PM

Of course it’s not Sels had 10 poor games before Darlow came in there’s no chance he’s getting dropped after 1 mistake

• Mister Tuff

Feb 16, 2017 at 1:04 PM

Moanster – seeing that you boys from the Emerald Isle can dance a very respectable jig who do you think would win a dance off between your new man Pearson, King Percy (your now abandoned top man) or Fat Sam.

Video of King Percy v Fat Sam Dance Off.

• Jail for Ashley

Feb 16, 2017 at 1:33 PM

WW…,
    You’d have thought Sels confidence would have soared but it seemed to get worse with each clean sheet, that Villa game was when I lost patience with him.

• martoon

Feb 16, 2017 at 1:42 PM

I have to say I don’t have a problem with people criticising Rafa as long as it’s fair and constructive – this is surely the point of this Blog to discuss all things NUFC. What I do have a problem with is the likes of TOF name calling such as ‘the fat Spanish waiter’ – I really don’t see the need for it. I’m pretty sure if someone had referred to Hoots as the ‘the black blah blah blah’ there would have been hell on!

• clinath@ed

Feb 16, 2017 at 1:42 PM

Yes Lindisfarne, the charity that is NUFC will save agent Bruce lol

• WWSBRD

Feb 16, 2017 at 1:49 PM

Jail
    Aye he just couldnt cut out the mistakes and he never really formed a understanding with with the back 4 big shame but hes young enough to still have a career with us

• Mister Tuff

Feb 16, 2017 at 1:50 PM

Of course Benitez should be criticised if he makes a blunder or if in the opinion of a poster he makes a blunder.
    He got it wrong in the last round of the league cup -or more accurately the game preceeding, the cup game and the next game.
    Total for that week six points lost and oot the cup.

In contrast he got it right the last game bringing on Diame and taking off Colback.

If we follow some of the fawning and prescriptive rules/ideas of some on here we would end up like North Korea.

• Munster Mag

Feb 16, 2017 at 1:58 PM

Tuff, Sam wud win the dance off. Pardew would pull his wife. Pearson would fight both 🙂

• clinath@ed

Feb 16, 2017 at 2:03 PM

Clattenburg to resign from Prem refereeing

• Jail for Ashley

Feb 16, 2017 at 2:05 PM

Munster,
    Even if Rafa got a perfect ten in the dance off you’d say he should have got a 10.5 and that Fat Sam danced better considering the price of their shoes.

• Jail for Ashley

Feb 16, 2017 at 2:05 PM

Clint,
    Off to China???

• Munster Mag

Feb 16, 2017 at 2:06 PM

Hurrah jail your limited tactical acumen is coming to the fore. I maintain that if we had attacked teams like Fulham, Rotherham (abysmal team), wolves etc we would be 6 points and more better off. When we needed to put Norwich to the sword at home, you (even you) can see what we can do attack wise. We are capable of more and given that our team has more talent than any others, I think we could be further ahead. . That doesn’t mean I think Rafa is crap. That said I reckon he has the best gig he’s gonna get in England. Maybe he is training us for next season, but. Out it because we need to shift half of them if we go up

• Munster Mag

Feb 16, 2017 at 2:07 PM

Rafa wud win the dance off. Spanish style v a fat bloke from the Midlands. No chance.

• Munster Mag

Feb 16, 2017 at 2:09 PM

Jail best we agree to differ. Rafa and Co did really well the other night and I am optimistic for our chances

• ronaldo aarons

Feb 16, 2017 at 2:10 PM

Sam allardyce dancing
    Make your own mind up on who’ll win a dance off lol

• ShirebrookToon

Feb 16, 2017 at 2:30 PM

Clattenbergs quits Premier League and is off to Saudi Arabia

• clinath@ed

Feb 16, 2017 at 2:31 PM

Haha Jail, no Saudi..

• sing in the corner

Feb 16, 2017 at 2:52 PM

Jib@21
    Wow!
    That’s another level.
    Sky, the media and the ‘poor success starved Arsenal fans’ whipping themselves into a frenzy.
    Wenger will be gone before the return game I reckon…

• Mister Tuff

Feb 16, 2017 at 3:05 PM

Moanster @11 – very good answer – all points true. Percy would let Sam win – as a subterfuge to nip in and shag his missus. Pearson would fight anybody – got that mad eye look.
    Yes good answer – as expected you demonstrated some nimble footwork.

• nut meg

Feb 16, 2017 at 3:09 PM

Can one of you younger guys tell me blud & fam means ? That was some rant, a few chill pills needed asap!

• Jib

Feb 16, 2017 at 3:10 PM

Sitc
    I watched the first half half last night and thought the Gooners made quite a good show of it.
    They must have seriously fallen of in the second half !

• Jib

Feb 16, 2017 at 3:13 PM

Bludclart a Jamaican swear word that is actually another word for “Period Pad”.

• nut meg

Feb 16, 2017 at 3:16 PM

Cheers jib, what about fam the word he kept shouting out?

• WWSBRD

Feb 16, 2017 at 3:19 PM

nut meg
    They mean the same thing pretty much mate essentially

Blood and Family being from the same kin is how Ive always taken it anyway

• WWSBRD

Feb 16, 2017 at 3:20 PM

‘mate’ that should read

• Jib

Feb 16, 2017 at 3:30 PM

WWSBRD
    Is right about blud and fam
    Short for “bludbruvver” and “famblymemba”
    Comes from Alex Haley’s “Roots” I believe.

• nut meg

Feb 16, 2017 at 3:31 PM

WW
    Thanks for that,that guy was a tad miffed I think!

• WWSBRD

Feb 16, 2017 at 3:52 PM

nut meg
    No bother mate a d they always are on there it’s a tad embarrassing I hope we don’t end up with a similar thing ‘True Geordie’ is already a bit much

• Jail for Ashley

Feb 16, 2017 at 4:04 PM

Anyone know who the player is in the NUFC.com competition, I guessed wrongly at Capaca which was a long shot anyway!

• Jail for Ashley

Feb 16, 2017 at 4:06 PM

Munster,
    We beat Rotherham?

• robertsleftfoot

Feb 16, 2017 at 4:10 PM

I know most people are part of this Rafa love in and I for one was over the knot when he agreed to stay.

It does state about constuctive criticism is allowed so heres my honest thoughts…….

I dont think Rafa has done anything less than I would expect of any other manager with what he had at his disposal, he had decent players and got a £60 million budget to replace the outgoing lads. Should we not be top?? We have got a £10 million and £6 million defenders on the bench MBemba & Hanley, a £7.5m left back in Lazaar on the bench. We spent £12 million on a winger and the same on a centre forward not to mention already having a £12 million centre midfielder and a £15 million pound Centre forward in Shelvey and Mitro!!!

If anything his negative tactics of one up top at home have cost us serious points in the league and we should be further ahead than we are.

He has wasted money in my eyes on Hanley, Lazaar, Murphy etc!!!

He has alos lost his power in the board room by the looks of it so I see him jumping ship even if we get promoted because big Mike aint going to go splashing the £60 £70 or £80 million we will need

• Jail for Ashley

Feb 16, 2017 at 4:10 PM

Munster,
    We played shite against Wolves at home after humping QPR 0-6.

• Jail for Ashley

Feb 16, 2017 at 4:14 PM

Munster,
    We tried to attack Fulham but had no outlet upfront due to that dunderhead Mitro being banned, it was also the first competitive game that a brand new team had played together. You bitch all you want about the manager, I’ll enjoy watching 4 and 6 nil wins from my seat in the Gallowgate.

• Jail for Ashley

Feb 16, 2017 at 4:15 PM

Roberts left foot,
    Aye, it went really well for De Matteo and steve Bruce didn’t it.

• Jail for Ashley

Feb 16, 2017 at 4:18 PM

Roberts,
    How has Hanley been a waste of money, he has sat patiently on the bench and done a job when asked, Ross Mcormack has worked a treat down at Villa.

• nut meg