Newcastle Goalkeeper Considers His Future

24 year-old Newcastle United goalkeeper Matz Sels started out as the Newcastle number one goalkeeper last August, but he has moved down to third choice as a recovering Rob Elliot is now on the bench and challenging Karl Darlow for the Newcastle goalkeeper jersey.

Karl has been playing well although he made a hash of things on Tuesday at Norwich for their second goal and it’s possible, if Rob is training well, that he could still be the Newcastle number one before the end of the season and be back in goal for the team.

Matz Sels – Newcastle goalkeeper

Matz has lacked a bit of confidence since he arrived and it’s always difficult for a goalkeeper coming in to play in England, because of the more physical nature of the game – just ask Manchester City goalkeeper Claudio Bravo who has lost his place at City after a poor start to his career in England.

Matz has been talking to  Het Nieuwsblad and this is some of what he had to say:

“I have not been able to build up the credit here that I had at Gent.”

“If the situation stays the same, I will talk to Newcastle in the summer about a solution.”

“Never say ‘never’, but a return to Belgium – certainly not next season.”

“Maybe a loan to another English club and then in time I can still return to Newcastle.”

Those are good comments from Matz, because he wants to stay in England and adjust to playing in goal in England.

He has not started his England career well, but he is still a good goalkeeper and maybe a loan spell to a Championship club next season would work for him and for Newcastle.

We still don’t know what will happen with Tim Krul this summer,  but Karl Darlow and Rob Elliot seem to be fixtures at the club and both have shown they can play well for Newcastle when it matters.

It’s been a difficult season for Matz Sels, but we hope he can get his career back on track – somehow.

A season long loan may be the answer.

• Essex Geordie Bill

Feb 16, 2017 at 12:37 PM

Caught out again, should have checked the timetable. 🙂

Chancel

No, no need Darlow will step up with no problem with Elliot and Woodman as 2nd and 3rd.

I’m in the ‘let’s allow him a silly mistake camp.’ The Clark og was a bad deflection that can and does happen to every GK, no blame to either player for it.

It’s a pity that we’ve managed to snatch a draw from the jaws of victory in the last two games, those 4 points would see us coasting to the title. Now we have to paddle just a bit harder.

• Munster Mag

Feb 16, 2017 at 12:38 PM

Jail, can you ever get things straight in your thick head?????? I have clarified before, the only reason I said go for Pearson was when Rafa was looking like he would leave. This was on the basis of Pearsons work getting Leicester up. It wasn’t a vote for Pearson over Benitez

• Munster Mag

Feb 16, 2017 at 12:44 PM

And Jail, your tactical analysis of Fulham ( away) is flawed. We played defensively and this was obvious from the team set up. We passed sideways and lost deservedly. So what if I criticised this ?? Was I wrong to criticise the awful approach Rafa used when we needed to beat Sunderland away? Perhaps I haven’t praised enough when we have done well – if so that’s a fair point and I acknowledge that. I have highlighted some of the good things rafa has done, but you ignore that. Why can you not criticise something you think is wrong – or are you so star struck? Its allowed you know!!

• Munster Mag

Feb 16, 2017 at 12:47 PM

Sorry, I meant Sunderland at hone, the 1-1 late goal from Mitro.

• Lindisfarne

Feb 16, 2017 at 12:55 PM

Get a room guys

• Jail for Ashley

Feb 16, 2017 at 12:57 PM

Munster,
    Get it in to your even thicker head that he is a defensive manager.

• Chancel My MBembaship

Feb 16, 2017 at 1:02 PM

Essex – I played in goal from my early teens up to my early 30’s and I’ve dropped many a clanger in those 20-odd years. I know exactly what it feels like seeing everyone looking at you thinking ‘you numpty’, so Darlow has my sympathy and I’d never drop a keeper after one major error. I only suggested Hart because you need a solid keeper between the sticks to compete in the Premier League (see Liverpool’s problem this season) and I’m not sure Darlow is ready to cope with the Costas and Agueros of the top flight yet.