Big Tribute Planned For Rafa Benitez Tonight

Gallowgate Flags have done a great job this season in getting the flags out at the Gallowgate end of the stadium – they deserve great credit for that.

Tonight they will unfurl a huge flag of Rafa Benitez as a tribute to the Spanish manager, who is currently rebuilding the club from top to bottom.

To say Rafa is well liked by the Newcastle fans is a huge understatement.

Rafa Benitez – big tribute tonight – big flag tonight

He’s smiling as well on the flag – we must be going to beat Aston Villa tonight.

Here’ the tweet put out by Gallowgate Flags with the new flag – it’s terrific.

And Here’s where you can help Gallowgate Flags via a donation.

• Lindisfarne

Feb 20, 2017 at 12:12 PM

I hope the team don’t start flagging

• Essex Geordie Bill

Feb 20, 2017 at 12:18 PM

I have to protest most strongly at the sudden dissing of the Gatesheed Toon fan base, we are and always have been firmly rooted in the Tyneside ethos. Please do not call us makems or there may have to be some dawn meetings on the Town Moore, choice of weapons to be decided.

• jayphoto

Feb 20, 2017 at 12:22 PM

optimistic tonight! Dominated despite the score against Norwich away, further increased my belief that we are a better bet against the big sides in this division rather than the smaller ones!
    Villa literally can’t sit back and defend, their team is mainly attacking players! Reckon we’ll open them up if Gayle plays!
    Got some contacts at Villa with the players through work etc and all is not well in that dressing room! Alot of divides, alot of players Bruce wanted rid of that are sitting in on the contracts. They haven’t been able to rid themselves of the bad eggs that saw them relegated unlike Newcastle.

• jayphoto

Feb 20, 2017 at 12:23 PM

Been outta the UK for work this week… gutted I missed the chance to discuss Darlow vs Norwich with @ WWSBRD

• Jail for Ashley

Feb 20, 2017 at 12:28 PM

Jeezus, now we find out he was part of the famous five in his younger days.

• Lindisfarne

Feb 20, 2017 at 12:28 PM

Is Essex in south Tyneside?

• Lindisfarne

Feb 20, 2017 at 12:31 PM

Jail – LOL

Did you see my suggestion about only accepting Bingo line-ups in the comments of Eds regular predicted team each match?
    It is simple for all wanting to enter to scroll back to the article concerned and makes your job easier.

• G

Feb 20, 2017 at 12:34 PM

@2, just seen Villa team again, this time at the Gateshead Marriott, that’s the only negative I can find with the Heed. No need for the turf wars mate!

• Bobbybee

Feb 20, 2017 at 12:36 PM

Rafa bingo.

Darlow

Yedders Lascelles Clark Dummett

Shelvey Colback

Ritchie Diame The Gouff

Gayle

Fully expect a comfortable win tonight. Villa will freeze when confronted by a real crowd, having not seen one all season. Mondays haven’t been good to us lately, but all bad runs have to end somewhere and tonight should see that run finish. Going for 4-0 as I’m in a good mood.

• Jail for Ashley

Feb 20, 2017 at 12:40 PM

Lindisfarne,
    It’s not too bad the way it is just I let three weeks build up. I’m back to work again tomorrow and I’ll make sure I do the Villa game tomorrow night. Looking forward to getting up there this evening.

• Jail for Ashley

Feb 20, 2017 at 12:42 PM

I chucked £20 to the flags at the start of the season, enough from me I think.

• Essex Geordie Bill

Feb 20, 2017 at 1:04 PM

Jib

Good choice mate, I thinking more about Zimmer frames at ten paces. 🙂

• Essex Geordie Bill

Feb 20, 2017 at 1:11 PM

Lindisfarne, no but my heart and head still connects to to my birthplace.

The problem with doing the bingo the same time as Ed is that often we find our selections aren’t available. That’s why I and probably many others wait until the actual day of the game.

• lesh

Feb 20, 2017 at 2:28 PM

I’m happy to be corrected but the south of the Tyne affiliation to Sunderland starts to show around about Heworth and then parts of South Tyneside – not all.

Presumably the black n white/ red n white rivalry goes back to the 1600s with both coal and civil war loyalties being given as reasons.

Gateshead’s alignment is more with Newcastle than Sunlun and who can blame them!

• Moonraker15

Feb 20, 2017 at 3:20 PM

Lot of nonsense always about Gatesheeders being some kind of second rate Geordies/Toon fans. Wallsend isn’t Newcastle but it’s loyalty isn’t in question. There are definitely some Mackem fans in Gateshead but I think that is a very small majority; also I believe the term “Toon” originated in Gateshead as in “gannin’ ower the Toon” (from Gateshead)!
    Am I right anybody agree?

• Moonraker15

Feb 20, 2017 at 3:30 PM

I’ll never forget going into the three tuns at Sheriff hill Gateshead in the ’70s and there was a guy in there having the crack and he had a Wippet with a red and white coat on and a muzzle. There was no doubt about his allegiance but in those days the banter was less angry and bitter and everyone enjoying the crack. I think it’s too bitter nowadays.