Midfielder Cites A Presumed Disadvantage For Newcastle

Jack Colback has been interviewed in the Chronicle and he has said that big clubs like Newcastle and Aston Villa have a disadvantage over smaller clubs like Brighton and Huddersfield whose expectations are much lower than those of the bigger clubs.

There were comments from the experts  in football last summer who thought Newcastle for instance would simply walk away with the Championship.

That hasn’t happened, although we are well placed in second place at the moment and could go top if we can beat Aston Villa tonight at St. James’ Park.

Jack Colback and Rafa Benitez

This is what Jack Colback has said of the supposed extra pressure on massive clubs like Newcastle and Aston Villa in the second division:

“It’s the stature of the clubs and the fan base.” “They are two clubs that should be in the Premier League.”

“Obviously nobody’s got a given right to be there, but we didn’t perform well enough to keep our status last season.”

“If you look at us and Villa and teams like that, the expectation is there to be promoted”

“We’ve dealt with that a bit better than Villa have, but if you compare that to the likes of Huddersfield and teams like that.”

“No disrespect, the expectation isn’t there for them to win promotion or the league so they can probably play with a bit more freedom and that’s showing in their performances.”

“I’ve missed a few games through illness recently and before that I had the head injury, and a lot of little niggles as well, so it’s been frustrating all year really,”

“It’s been very stop-start and I’m just glad to be back now and hopefully I can get a good run.”

“You’re still trying to do bits and bobs when you’re out, but you can’t replicate a full-speed game, a competitive game. I’ve felt not too bad, though.”

It seems that’s almost a made-up excuse coming from the Newcastle lad.

We always remember Alan Shearer making an odd comment after we were relegated back in 2009, when Alan demurred how all the clubs in the Championship would now be gunning for Newcastle   –  as though that was a big negative.

But if you want to be a good side you have to get used to success – and that includes every team you play against wanting to beat you and maybe playing at their very best too.

Some of that has happened this season, with lower placed sides giving us some tough games.

We should get used to that,  because if Rafa is successful in taking us to where we all want to go – near the top of the Premier League and winning trophies – teams will be gunning for us all the time.

Great!

Feb 20, 2017 at 12:51 PM

Ed he didn’t say anything about Brighton…
    Brighton have just as much pressure as Newcastle I think. The way they missed out last season, the fact that they were favourites to go up with most people familiar with the league. Threw it away last season, in alot of debt as they’ve really thrown money at this push, its now or never for them.
    Similarly, Huddersfield aside, the teams fighting it out are all pretty big fan bases. Can’t tell me the fans at Leeds, Sheffield Wed, Derby don’t all think they have a right to be premier league clubs and don’t put pressure on the players

• G

Feb 20, 2017 at 12:53 PM

Preferred Rafa’s assessment the other day, think he got it bang on about clubs at the top end of the Champo compared to relegated teams (His summary was, relegated sides means something is broken). Bang on the money in my opinion.

• Spotlight Kid

Feb 20, 2017 at 1:05 PM

Here’s a comment for one Edinburgh Canary, Monday, February 20, 2017 in the ‘Pink Un’ (a Norwich supporting publication)

‘I think we can catch Leeds from the teams above. 6th place will be our finishing spot. Playing against Newcastle in the Play-off semi-final who are going to get overtaken by Huddersfield. Problem is, I think we may well lose over the 2 legs to Newcastle unfortunately.’

Different perspectives always offer insight…

• Spotlight Kid

Feb 20, 2017 at 1:06 PM

..from.. (damned predictive text)

• G

Feb 20, 2017 at 1:08 PM

@3 interesting reading, however, like I mentioned earlier, although Huddersfield have been a joy to watch lately, and they have a decent team, talented manager, and a good recent run of form, I suspect their wheel is about to fall off. I think the extra cup game may well derail them. I have nothing against them, its just a feeling. Besides, I would hate to go into the play offs, hopefully we will have it wrapped up with a couple of games to spare.

• hibbit

Feb 20, 2017 at 1:11 PM

i hate monday night games
    can’t honestly remember the last monday night game we won ????

• Essex Geordie Bill

Feb 20, 2017 at 1:12 PM

The bus moved as soon as I hit the submit button. 🙂

Essex Geordie Bill // Feb 20, 2017 at 1:11 PM

Lindisfarne, no but my heart and head still connects to to my birthplace.

The problem with doing the bingo the same time as Ed is that often we find our selections aren’t available. That’s why I and probably many others wait until the actual day of the game.

• WWSBRD

Feb 20, 2017 at 1:13 PM

Spotlight
    U got a link to the full thread? Am curious what others on it replied to that

Huddersfield dont score enough to catch us imo they are on a good run but they are far more likely to fall away than us….wasnt long ago it was Leeds who were going to knock us or Brighton off and then Reading, Derby was mentioned as well but we are still sitting pretty

Feb 20, 2017 at 1:20 PM

I think if Gayle stays fit we’ll leave Brighton behind over march and april! Shelvey/Gayle combination is lethal, DG’s runs create havoc causing teams to sit deep which in turn means Shelvey has the ball 20 yards closer to the opposition goal and can dictate games. Gayles runs also open up space for players like Perez, Ritchie, Gouff to come inside. No slating mitro, but we’re just a different side with Gayle and Shelvey playing.
    Huddersfields squad is so small, they’ve built up steam in 2 months with less games. 2 games a week sees them more stretched than most. To be honest Sheffield Wednesday would be my only concern because they played us off the pitch and have since added to their side with proven players. Seen it said we need 8 wins in 15 to go up, looking at our fixtures, i’d be amazed if we didn’t get them

• Ron Knee

Feb 20, 2017 at 1:23 PM

hibbit

It was 5 years ago!

Feb 20, 2017 at 1:23 PM

can’t see Norwich making the playoffs ahead of (assuming us and brighton go up) Leeds, reading, Huddersfield, Derby, Sheffield Wednesday and Fulham !
    If I was a gambling man id go 1.Newcastle, 2. Brighton, 3.Huddersfield, 4.Sheff wed. 5.Fulham. 6. Reading/Leeds with Norwich in 8th.

• Spotlight Kid

Feb 20, 2017 at 1:24 PM

G@6 Colback was musing that he found the chasing pack closing the gap “irritating”, but we then go back to some very poor decisions made by Rafa before the Hull City game which not only cost us points but (crucially) momentum, and (as I said at the time) gave the chasing pack a sniff and the incentive to keep snapping at our heels as the gap lessened. You can’t afford to drop a solitary stupid point in the Championship, as Brighton discovered last season.

I believe both Huddersfield and Reading well capable of a top two place if we fail to grind out 30 plus points from the remaining 15 (28 plus from 14 for Brighton) games. Looks like 96 points will be the bare minimum required for a top 2 sport this season.

• Spotlight Kid

Feb 20, 2017 at 1:30 PM

jay@11 I agree, Norwich are well off the pace. The only hope they have is in winning the three big away games against teams above them, even then that gap looks too big. I was simple interested in the perception of other fans that we (and not Brighton) are going to stumble and end up in the play offs.. We need a mainly unbeaten run with 10 wins from 15 to be 100% sure.

• WWSBRD

Feb 20, 2017 at 1:39 PM

Spotlight
    96 bare minimum for top 2? I doubt it’ll be that high

We will also get stronger going forward imo its been over 2 months since we’ve had our 2 best players able to play together and we are still comfortable

• Wayayman

Feb 20, 2017 at 1:41 PM

I think Bruce will make it really difficult for is tonight. He’ll have a back 5 with 2 defensive MFs in front to stop Gayle from getting any space. It might actually suit Mitro more tonight and he’s due a good game bless him!
    If Bruce gets it wrong and tries to go for the jugular with us, we’ll hammer them no doubt but I can’t see a man of his experience making that mistake. The crowd have a massive part to play, keep patient and dont let these negative away teams frustrate us.

• Wayayman

Feb 20, 2017 at 1:43 PM

Also, I thin Gayle will be floating tonight after the birth of his daughter. He’ll want to celebrate in style.

• Jib

Feb 20, 2017 at 1:46 PM

• firebug666

Feb 20, 2017 at 1:52 PM

Rafa team for tonight

Darlow

Yedlin—–Lascelles—–Clark—–Dummett

Shelvey—–Colback

Ritchie—–Diame—–Gouffran

Gayle

I’ll go for a 2-0 Toon win, but if their head go down after we score it’s possible the flood gates will open.

• Essex Geordie Bill

Feb 20, 2017 at 1:55 PM

Wayayman

Agreed, I think we’ll have to negotiate a herd of buses tonight. Pace and trickery down the wings needed but I think Rafa will still go with Gouf and Ritchie rather than Atzu.

Feb 20, 2017 at 1:55 PM

@Jib – I wouldn’t rest Ritchie, he’s in a vain of form and is a goal scoring threat. If he’s fit, the standard of replacement isn’t good enough to replace a fit matt Ritchie and it be a positive. If he was going to be rested, Bristol City would be a better game to do it in

• WWSBRD

Feb 20, 2017 at 1:57 PM

I wouldnt rest Ritchie Id just inform Lascelles to grab him anytime the whistle goes should save him from a yellow, when does that reset again?

• Jib

Darlow
    yedlin,Clark. Lascelles, Dummett
    Ritchie Shelvey Colback Gouffran
    Diame
    Gayle

Feb 20, 2017 at 2:00 PM

@jib – a tactical yellow tonight and a rest against a weaker Bristol city side on Saturday might be the way then (or is 10 yellows 2 matches?)

• WWSBRD

Feb 20, 2017 at 2:01 PM

jay
    U spelt thankfully wrong mate

Feb 20, 2017 at 2:02 PM

either way, I’d like to see Atsu play. He’s flying with confidence after starring for Ghana!
    Villa have a quick attack, be nice to see Mbemba play as I think Lascelles might get exposed for pace

• AncientC

Feb 20, 2017 at 2:04 PM

I don’t think Gayle will start, Benitez is a cautious manager, and he will not throw Gayle straight in after injury. I am sure he will get on in the 2nd half.

After the critique Mitrovic has received, I just hope people will be more patient with Gayle. I am not expecting fireworks straight away. It will take Gayle some time to get back into his stride.

Now that I have made that claim, Gayle will likely start and score in the first 5 minutes.

• Spotlight Kid

Feb 20, 2017 at 2:08 PM

WWWSBRD@14 Looking at the fixtures remaining Huddersfield are well capable of 93 plus points on current form. Reading could also bank over 90. Unless NUFC & Brighton aim for 96 plus (and so keep that 2nd – 3rd gap to above 3 points) it will be squeaky time in April and May It would only take two consecutive defeats in the run in and we will be off even a 93 point finish. I maintain, we need to aim for 30 plus points.

Feb 20, 2017 at 2:12 PM

@wwsbrd – for once we agree on something, for the first time this season Im saying I think Darlow HAS to play tonight! Already got 1 goalkeeper in sels with no confidence, After costing us 2 points on Tuesday, he’ll be eager to do well, if he was benched I think his confidence would drop. Darlows going to be important in the run in, Sels recent interview to me suggests hes given up the fight, and Elliot for whatever reason bad is perma crock and unreliable

• WWSBRD

Feb 20, 2017 at 2:17 PM

Spotlight
    If they stay fit and on course as they have been aye they are capable but they have a congested fixture list coming up and a small squad

I think we will start dropping points much like Leeds

• WWSBRD

Feb 20, 2017 at 2:18 PM

jay
    Haha I dont think there was any real question mark over Darlows place, pretty cemented imo

Feb 20, 2017 at 2:19 PM

@Spotlight – you’re basing that on current form though. If you look at squad size, and previous championship history, it suggests the sides like Huddersfield and reading sink like a stone during the 8 game months around march/april after a flash in the pan run! See Derby 2 years back or Hull last year (who just scraped it)
    The ones for me are Sheffield Wednesday and Fulham. Both have decent squads and have steadily built momentum. The guy at Fulham always finishes seasons strongly. Coincidently Benitez’ teams often finish seasons on runs and usually stutter over January…
    History suggests the championship really is a squad game and Newcastle and Brighton are miles ahead of anyone else with depth.

Feb 20, 2017 at 2:22 PM

@WWSBRD – agree, cemented. Bet the mistakes are getting highlighted in training though. In my opinion, Sels got dropped for less than Darlows 2017 form. The mistake vs forest didn’t cost us points, He wasn’t punished against Rotherham (and made up for it with a great recovery) and obvs Norwich are the 3 worst goalkeeping moments of our season IMO

• G

Feb 20, 2017 at 2:24 PM

@33, I think Sels being dropped had more to do with him never looking comfortable and flapping than one obvious error. He may yet come good, but given Darlow has been our most consistent figure this season, then it would be criminal to drop him now.

• WWSBRD

Feb 20, 2017 at 2:29 PM

jay
    Sels was making multiple mistakes a game, couldnt catch a ball and had no understanding with his defense which is why he was dropped for me rather than specific mistakes

Darlow is probably struggling with his concentration because he doesnt have much to do most of the game but the mistakes he makes he doesnt repeat, Sels just kept doing the same things

• toon kk

Feb 20, 2017 at 2:34 PM

I only hope Rafa doesn’t start with Mitro, chances are he will and Gayle will come on for the last 15 minutes.
    Not sure why so many rate Mitro just because he wears a black and white shirt I suppose. Hope he Prooves me wrong but I doubt it. Poor player with a terrible temperament. We could be down to ten men at any point when he’s in the team.

Feb 20, 2017 at 2:37 PM

@WWSBRD – agree with that, the concentration is a big factor.
    Interested to see who plays next season. Lot of talk and murmerings that Newcastle were receptive of selling darlow at the end of the season and don’t see him as a number 1 premier league keeper.
    For me, that surely means they’ll have to buy 1 in, as Krul seems all over the shop and will only have 1 year left, Elliot not good enough for me, Sels seems a nervous wreck…

• G

Feb 20, 2017 at 2:40 PM

@37 Jay where did you hear that about Darlow? News to me on that front. Frankly I think he’s one of the best stoppers we have had.

Feb 20, 2017 at 2:41 PM

@Toon KK Mitro is so interesting. Im not a fan myself. Reckon he’s work in a 4-4-2 but that’s just a theory.
    I will say though with Mitro, he brings those around him into the game more. Perez and Ritchie seem to do well off him.
    Big Gayle fan though. Reminds me a lot of Ian Wright! Reckon with manager faith in him his attributes are premier league transferrable too. Pace is dangerous at any level and Andre grey, vardy, Austin, rodriguez , deeney have all shown that top championship strikers can take that form into the premier league.

• Jail for Ashley

Feb 20, 2017 at 2:51 PM

Lads,
    You do realise this is not a football blog don’t you!!!