Newcastle 2 Aston Villa 0 – Video Highlights For Overseas Fans

Here’s the official video highlights of Newcastle’s 2-0 home win over Aston Villa that plays overseas.

Who Was Newcastle's Best Player Against Aston Villa

View Results
Loading ... Loading ...

• sparky55

Feb 20, 2017 at 11:47 PM

We couldn’t string two passes together in the first 30 mins and if we can’t handle a high press in the championship then we’ll be in big trouble next year.

In summary I would suggest that was a workmanlike performance that puts that fear of god in me for next year because we’ll not win many games in the Premiership playing that that.

I would say we only have 3 premiership ready players in our squad today…so that’s means a massive investment during the summer which I’m not sure Ashley is prepared to make.

Good result…but I’m worried about next year.

• Shadow_Shearer

Feb 20, 2017 at 11:56 PM

Sparky

I agree the first half we were awful, & we couldn’t string a couple good passes togther.
    But you have to remember in the championship that’s the way football is played. Espically as every team is extra defensive against us. In the premiership it’s alot more attacking & open. And in the premiership we will not be as feared. Just remember the 5-1 against tottenham.

• manxpie

Feb 20, 2017 at 11:56 PM

manxpie

February 20, 2017

Hopefully Jimmy on Clark tho he’s pretty quick himself actually surely the surprise of the season in fact must be a candidate for player of the season, we obviously nicked their best player!
    Amazing how things change only a few weeks ago mitro couldn’t run control a ball or have any kind of link up play by some on here he was just a wasteful talentless thug! Lol

• sparky55

Feb 21, 2017 at 12:06 AM

Shadow

My worry is the premiership is full of high press teams that can also defend…we won’t get two easier goals than that and I can’t see premiership teams being that generous.

Villa pretty much stymied us tonight for the first 40 mins and if they can do that to us (being as sh!te as they are) then it pretty much highlights how much we lack in composure and threat.

• Small World

Feb 21, 2017 at 12:11 AM

Shelvey needs to give his head a shake and get some of the sawdust out. He did nothing but whinge piss and wind to the ref before eventually getting booked as we won a free kick. Presumeably it was a for a sarky remark to the ref. Walking away with the ball at their throw in after a few minutes had allready suggested what sort of mood he was in.

Great player on his day, though a little off his best tonight. He just needs to cut out his displays of petulance from his game

• sing in the corner

Feb 21, 2017 at 12:17 AM

Yeah Gayle looked understandably lacking in match fitness, and with hindsight he looks to have come back in too early. Didn’t look comfortable at all running, short sprints etc. Shame…
    Mitro looked much more the part tonight. Got in and about everything that came near him, chased lost causes and looked well up for it in general.
    Another potentially tricky game and we have bagged all the points without looking owt flash until we got the second.
    Karma Lansbury!
    Then we were in the driving seat,relaxed and played some canny stuff.
    But I’m very happy, ticking another game off and top of the league.
    Howay the lads!

• Small World

Feb 21, 2017 at 12:18 AM

1 sparky55 // Feb 20, 2017 at 11:47 PM

“We we’re proper sh!te in the first half and not sure what happened in the 2nd half to open it up but we were in turtle control in that 2nd half.”

I suspect it was because once they conceded, they simply didn’t have a plan B. Brucie had then working hard until we scored. After that we found out why they are 17th

Like you I wouldn’t exepect this team to do anything in the prem. A big rebuild is needed

• sing in the corner

Feb 21, 2017 at 12:22 AM

The new banner is awesome. Comedy moment when it turned the corner of the Gallowgate and got all confused and sideways as it went round into the east stand 🙂

• Blackley and Brownlie

Feb 21, 2017 at 12:32 AM

Got to differ a bit with Charlie’s assessments. Villa hassled us and we never got going until the goal. After the break everyone played well.

Yeah Darlow was slow off his line too often and was lucky to see the offside flag. But did great with the vital save.

Mitro was better. His best game for a while. But that’s because he actually put in quite a hard shift. Makes a lot of difference.

Dummett had his usual good game. But for me the man of the match was Lascelles. He makes so many powerful headers during a game. I’m sure people just take them for granted and don’t notice. He’s bullying forwards in the air, something we’ve never had for years. It used to be the opposite with Colo. It makes such a difference.

• Our Toon

Feb 21, 2017 at 12:42 AM

Blackley

Yes darlow was a very lucky boy with that offside but the initial error came from lascelles, he didn’t react at all when the ball was passed, turned slow and waited for the keeper to rush out when in reality he could have got there before hogan…..was quite dozy in that moment but otherwise a good performance from him.

He’ll get away with it at this level but will get found out in the premier league with his bramble esc moments, he has 1 or 2 in every game

• manxpie

Feb 21, 2017 at 12:42 AM

I don’t see why worrying about next season is on the cards it’s a totally different set up
    rafa plays to each game in THIS league which is very very tough as we can see and villa and norwhich can definitely see
    darlow Clark lascelles dummett Ritchie shelvey colback perez mitro gayle are all easily good enough for the prem plus the potential of yedlin and hayden who should make it
    bit dramatic saying we only have 3 tbh
    plus the experienced players in gouff and Anita Elliott and a few others we’ll be fine with a few added for the first season

• manxpie

Feb 21, 2017 at 12:44 AM

Plus I may add we now actually seem to have players who want to be here and enjoy playing for this club!

• manxpie

Feb 21, 2017 at 12:51 AM

Brackley that’s the issue with defensive players they only ever get brought up if they fusk up or make a great challenge/ save everything in between goes unnoticed ala colback and he’s lucky to get a single bit of praise for a good block!

• Chancel My MBembaship

Feb 21, 2017 at 12:55 AM

I’ll make my assessment on how well we’ll do in the Premier League after the next transfer window closes. There’s absolutely no way for any of us to know how we’ll do without knowing what squad we’ll have available. Rafa could attract some really classy, quality players if Mike gives him adequate financial backing.

• Blackley and Brownlie

Feb 21, 2017 at 12:56 AM

Manx
    I agree about not worrying about the Prem. Rafa will get the squad ready if we go up and he stays. I don’t see Colback, Perez or Mitro as good enough.

• Essex Geordie Bill

Feb 21, 2017 at 12:56 AM

Just finished watching the game as I had to record it due to having visitors.

I seriously thought we were going to go down to ten men in the first half, as most of the decisions seemed to be going against us and I thought ‘oh no we’re not playing 12 men again. It was a struggle for us and it changed when Mitro came on. He had an immediate effect on the game and he didn’t look like a player who could get carded at any moment, more like his former no.9 Toon hero, tough but honest.

My MOM was Colback the unsung hero. I don’t see why he is classified as the side to side man, he got forward as much as anyone and nearly scored a good goal.

Yedlin, Ritchien Mitrovic and Shelvey were close to getting my vote and Darlow did exactly what he had to do when it was needed.

I know we collectively hate Lansbury but it was good to see Lascelles and Darlow shaking hands with him as old team mates, they were probably saying good goal mate. 🙂

As some one else said you had to shed a little tear of sympathy for Steve after the game, not. He looked like he’d been slapped with a frozen kipper. wouldn’t it be a shame if they got relegated? 🙂

• Chancel My MBembaship

Feb 21, 2017 at 12:57 AM

Regarding Gayle, I’m guessing they said to him if you feel ANYTHING from that hamstring, you let us know and we’ll bring you off. No point in taking chances with an injury like that. Hopefully he avoided doing too much damage and can ease back in again.

• Blackley and Brownlie

Feb 21, 2017 at 12:58 AM

I so much prefer Diame to Perez.

• Essex Geordie Bill

Feb 21, 2017 at 12:59 AM

Everyone has probably gone to bed by now or are slightly p!ssed after a great win, so having typed a screed will probably repost it a million times tomorrow.

• Blackley and Brownlie

Feb 21, 2017 at 1:02 AM

Essex
    That was Colback’s best game for a good while.

• chicousa

Feb 21, 2017 at 1:02 AM

Nice to get a win on a Monday night! 😀

• Essex Geordie Bill

Feb 21, 2017 at 1:02 AM

I’ll be surprised if Gayle plays in the next two or three matches. Mitro really stepped up tonight (or last night) so Rafa will probably give him a big vote of confidence.

• Essex Geordie Bill

Feb 21, 2017 at 1:05 AM

Chicousa, still Thursday for you, did you watch the game?

• Essex Geordie Bill

Feb 21, 2017 at 1:06 AM

chicousa

I meant Monday, I too have had a celebratory whiskey or two. 🙂

• chicousa

Feb 21, 2017 at 1:07 AM

Bill,
    I agree that the game changed when Mitro came on. Up until then the team looked timid, hesitant and always a step slow. But the big Serb brought with him a dose of energy and fearlessness that seemed to energize the whole squad from that point on.

• chicousa

Feb 21, 2017 at 1:09 AM

Bill,
    Just now past 5pm on this side of the Toon world, so just now starting my celebration with a nip or three! 🙂

• chicousa

Feb 21, 2017 at 1:27 AM

To all those worrying about the team next year should they get promoted (though I am not taking that for granted just yet).

This current squad is very young! Some of our lads under the continued growth under Rafa and his staff will grow into good EPL players, even if they are not there yet. A couple like Shelvey, Yedlin, Darlow and Mitrovic may even grow into top tier Premier League players in due time. Some of the young under 23 team players that Rafa has been bringing in may also grow into same.

I don’t think Ashley will ever be the type of owner who will buy ready made, world class players….the type of players that already cost over 50 M £! But with growing our own players and a few good EPL players of the quality/cost of say a Sigurdson or the like, we might do OK!

• Essex Geordie Bill

Feb 21, 2017 at 1:46 AM

chicousa

Shelvey is already an EPL class player, he’s a full English international and the only thing stopping him from playing in the full international set up is that he’s in the Championship although I can’t see why he hasn’t been called up lately.

He’d probably be MOM in most other teams and we really did miss him when he was sidelined. I don’t think we’ve lost a league game since he came back from suspension.

I think you are right re. the £50m + players. personally I don’t think any of them are worth these obscenely high fees. I reckon some of our recent buys might just prove to be future stars. Another plus for the Rafa effect?

• Essex Geordie Bill

Feb 21, 2017 at 1:55 AM

Anyway nearly 2am here in Brexit land, so time for some slumber.

We’re all on a high, roll on Saturday and 3 points from Bristol.

Then we have three game that I reckon will clinch the title for us. Onwards and upwards!!

Good night all

• chicousa

Feb 21, 2017 at 2:51 AM

Bill,
    Yep, you are right about Shelvey. Bad example, he already is indeed EPL league quality. In his case he could grow into a world class player, just needs to control his temper a bit more.

My point was really that we probably will need to grow/develop players as opposed to buying insanely expensive players of the ilk of Pogba, Hazzard etc.

• Salmon

Feb 21, 2017 at 5:34 AM

Over the moon with the win.Despite reports of poor first half showing.
    Getting closer to the premier league,
    where we belong.Howay Rafa…
    Not seeing Mbemba even on the bench pissed me off though.The only thing that I felt unhappy about.

• chicousa

Feb 21, 2017 at 6:09 AM

Salmon,
    I would have liked to see Mbemba on the bench too and after we went up by 2 would have liked to see him tried at DM. Colback had a relatively good game but with Hayden out injured and Tiote now in China the team needs cover at DM. Anita was not on the bench either so probably he is still a way off from full recovery. So guess Diame was Colback’s backup…

• Salmon

Feb 21, 2017 at 6:55 AM

Yeah chicousa,i’d liked to see him in that position tried as well.He is utility player who can do a job well if given a chance-right back,midfield etc..
    Not sure why Rafa get stubborn on him.
    I’m sure he’s not worst than Hanley ,Lascelles or even Clark,who also made similar mistakes earlier as him.

• Yorkshire Magpie

Feb 21, 2017 at 7:49 AM

most of you on here just like to moan. it was a good 3 points from a tricky tie. we did exactly what we needed last night, they came out well up for it like all teams will do when playing us especially at SJP. we held firm with minimal danger to our goal until we got our chances. then once we got our goal they had to open up more and we could then run the game like we did. well done boys. as for all you moaning about we cant do that in the prem or Shelvey wasn’t great tonight need to think back to how these players were playing last year and how much we would of loved a gritty display like that then.

• Jib