Newcastle Compare Favorably With 2009-2010 Season

Newcastle got their 22nd win in 32 league games to go to 69 points from 32 games and we are on 69 points.

That’s 3 points better than we did seven years ago and the Chronicle’s Mark Douglas is reporting there are only three clubs who have bettered that number points (69) after 32 games played over the last 17 Championship seasons.

Leicester, Reading and Fulham did that and they were all automatically promoted – so here’s hoping.

Rafa Benitez with Jonjo Shelvey at end of last night’s game

Here’s how we compare with Chris Hughton’s side.

SeasonPlayedWonLostDrawGFGAGDPoints
2016-20173724857032+3877
2009-201037224117127+4477

• lesh

Feb 21, 2017 at 3:50 PM

The flags seem to add to the atmosphere at home and clearly have an effect on the atmosphere at SJP

The very existence of the flags seems dependent on fund raising by the Gallowgate Flags Group and I wonder if they’ve thought about selling the flags to fans at cost price, plus a small margin? There may be benefits in that personal ownership eradicates the risk and cost of flags ‘disappearing’ post-match and more importantly, sales would bring in revenue to produce even more flags for sale to fans to display them throughout SJP and even away games – home club permitting of course.

Just a thought.

• WWSBRD

Feb 21, 2017 at 3:54 PM

lesh
    Tweet them that mate it’s the true faith lads so they’d likely listen though I doubt they will be allowed to do it that way because of the image rights

• hibbit

Feb 21, 2017 at 4:01 PM

lesh

if they start selling them you then have the problems of copyrights !!!!
    remember that alternative shirt a few months back

• giimps

Feb 21, 2017 at 4:05 PM

The flags have helped but more attacking play at home is where our noise comes from, that and when we have a pantomime villain or we are playing a direct rival.
    Im all for keeping our discipline defensively ,it is proving to be successful and productive but against some of our opponents , we could be totally dominating them and creating even more.
    This is where we make the noise and scare the shyte out of our opponents, Bristol will bring its own challenges but we can (if we play well and get at them from the off rather than sitting back and soaking pressure ) make our own luck and chances ,improve our goal difference and gain a march on third place .

Feb 21, 2017 at 4:16 PM

Hibbit and Blackley

I’m not alone in criticising Dummett and yes I did watch the game. It’s a beautiful game, one that can so oft be subjective so take it easy lads and have some healthy debate eh?

That being said, Dummett is rubbish :p

• WWSBRD

Feb 21, 2017 at 4:24 PM

Ruddy
    Ole Paul has been alright this season though and he’s a nice lad just very limited

• RUNAWAY777

Feb 21, 2017 at 4:28 PM

Runaway

Wass a great night at the match footy was not great last night but 3 points that’s what matters but apart from that it was great to see all the flag out especially that big one with which said we are united hope raffa gets the message we want him to stay long term we will always be United win or lose.

Feb 21, 2017 at 4:28 PM

WW…

He’s put a shift in and done OK this season, that I do not contest at all but mainly because he’s not really been put under much pressure this season. Defensively he’s sound (ish) but offers little (if anything) the other way. Even his use of his strong left foot is very limited which seriously weakens his ability as an outlet – especially when compared to the work Yedlin does on the right.

It’s not even a hypothetical that he’ll be found out back in the PL – he’s demonstrated that he’s a terrible LB at PL level for many seasons. How this debate continues baffles me.

• Essex Geordie Bill

Feb 21, 2017 at 4:36 PM

Ruddy

Because a lot of people disagree with you, hows that for a reason?

• WWSBRD

Feb 21, 2017 at 4:40 PM

Ruddy
    Rather preaching to the choir bud

He’s alright but he only does half the job required of him imo…though his little shuffle every time the ball comes to him makes me laugh

• Belfast

Feb 21, 2017 at 4:40 PM

I thought we where terrible in the first half last night and probably would have been a few goals down if we where playing a Brighton or Huddersfield. A much better performance in the second half mind.

There was a period in the second half probably 20-25 minutes left when we where popping the ball around and Aston Villa weren’t pressing us at all. They where playing like they where 5-0 down with a few minutes to go. It was bizarre and i’m sure any Aston Villa fan would have been fuming watching it.

I could actually see them getting relegated if they lose their next couple of games and Wigan or Blackburn can put put a few points together.

• WWSBRD

Feb 21, 2017 at 4:42 PM

Belfast
    Although it sickens me I agree with what u just wrote

• manxpie

Feb 21, 2017 at 4:44 PM

Dummett has ccertainly been practicing his crosses he’s put quite a few decent ones in this season including a beauty last night
    in fact he’s probably put in more this season than Santon and guti combined lol

Feb 21, 2017 at 4:45 PM

Essex

If you think Dummett is a PL level LB despite the fact that his numerous performances at LB in the PL prove that he is woefully short of ability to perform at that level then that says more about you than it does about me buddy.

WW…

Yeah he’s one of a number of positions that we need to upgrade when we reach the top flight. Dummett, Colback and Gouffran are the first few to go for me, but I also think we could do with a top striker – as good as Gayle has been for us I really don’t see him as leading the line for a top 10 PL team next season and Mitro just doesn’t have it in him it would appear.

May be controversial to say it given Gayle’s 20 goals this season but we do need to look ahead as I’ve always said this season is a dead rubber.

• manxpie

Feb 21, 2017 at 4:48 PM

Btw are them flags getting nicked? There must be some brazen buggers lol not as if you can just stick them up ya top!

• hibbit

Feb 21, 2017 at 4:53 PM

Ruddy
    Rafa keeps picking him he’s by far the best LB we have at the moment we are championship club this season
    he had a very good game last night and yet all you ever do is call him
    Yedlin is by no means the finish article and still a long way off a prem fullback but nowt said about him
    we get you don’t like him you have made that very clear in the past
    but last night’s game left you no room to criticise him the lad had a very good game
    as i said earlier you talk a load of bollocks

Feb 21, 2017 at 4:57 PM

Hibbit

I’ve not commented in months so I think your criticism is a bit harsh. He’d an average game last night, not a world class one nor a poor one against a Villa side bereft of confidence and on the slide – forgive me if i don’t whip out the bunting.

I’m looking beyond this season. If we’re comparing Yedlin and Dummett we’re comparing apples and oranges and you’d be a fool not to see that. Yedlin is on the up curve while Dummett has plateaued to his level of mediocrity and is likely to stay there until his inevitable decline to even further mediocrity.

Is that too harsh? I just know a shit full back when I see one.

• WWSBRD

Feb 21, 2017 at 4:58 PM

Ruddy
    I don’t mind Colback he’s been alright in the PL for us not amazing but a good squad option. Gouffran needs to go end of the season but he can leave with his head high after this season. Dummett won’t leave but I doubt he will be first choice next season

Am not that worried about Gayle if we can get better great if not he will score goals

• Charlie in the Gallowgate

Feb 21, 2017 at 5:01 PM

Dummett getting stick again – me I gave him MOM last night – one of the only players at the TOON who can tackle also got down the wing and put in a couple of crosses unlike Yedlin last night not the best tackler and when he had the chance to cross couldn’t get the ball past the first defender – crowd around me in the Gallowgate were getting frustrated at the number of chances he had to cross the ball – always wants a extra touch and by the time he tries to cross it gets blocked.

Feb 21, 2017 at 5:03 PM

WW…

Would agree with you on Colback being a squad option. I wouldn’t give Gouffran a new contract but agree that he’s done his bit this season and naturally I would shift Dummett as soon as was humanly possible.

I don’t see Gayle ever being a 15 goal a season striker in the PL (which he would need to be if we don’t further invest in that area for us to be a top 10 PL club)

I do envisage further upheaval in the club when Rafa inevitably doesn’t get the funds needed to ‘Rafalutionise’ this squad to make them a proper PL outfit which is why I’m holding little to no stock in this season. I know, I know, I’m being a miserable prick yet again but I do think now is the time to be looking at the summer and beyond.

• hibbit

Feb 21, 2017 at 5:04 PM

Ruddy
    you can only beat what’s in front of you
    with the players we have
    in the league we play in

• WWSBRD

Feb 21, 2017 at 5:05 PM

hibbit
    Bar Yedlin is a lot closer to being a quality PL full back than Dummett is

Feb 21, 2017 at 5:05 PM

Shelvey was easily the best player on the park last night by some distance. He needs to sort his attitude but the way he effortlessly found space and sprayed the ball around all night was exquisite.

Feb 21, 2017 at 5:07 PM

Hibbit

I’m not saying that we don’t. I’m saying even in the face of a rubbish opposition he was just OK – which is true of other players in the team last night but I am picking on Dummett because he (along with Gouffran) are the weak links for next season when we are in the PL – that’s the angle I am coming from.

• Essex Geordie Bill

Feb 21, 2017 at 5:10 PM

Ruddy
    He’s already played in the EPL and was good enough then, still your’e obviously the football expert and know better than anyone else.

• WWSBRD

Feb 21, 2017 at 5:11 PM

Ruddy
    I wouldn’t move Dummett on we need him for HG status and he does a decent job as a purely defensive full back (And he’s a good CB tbf)

I reckon Gayle will score a fair few next year because we will be looking to hit teams on the break plus he scored a lot for Palace considering his time on the pitch for them

Time will tell on Rafa in the summer am not confident he will still be here but we will see

Feb 21, 2017 at 5:11 PM

Essex

See that’s where you’re wrong. He’s already played at PL level and proven himself woefully out of his depth.

• WWSBRD

Feb 21, 2017 at 5:12 PM

Essex
    Dummett wasn’t good enough in the PL for us mate he was mostly poor hence why he was widely slated

• sing in the corner

Feb 21, 2017 at 5:15 PM

Horses for courses…
    We don’t need to look further than bagging the points to ensure top 2. Winning it would be nice.
    But the terrible old adage, cliche, call it what you like, look only at the next game (Rafa’s favourite, and he’s got every player saying it like they have been brainwashed).
    And to use another one, we will ‘analyse’ all this in the summer.
    Footballers are simple guys really. Let’s not over complicate things. 🙂
    And let’s face it, we know Colback, Dummett etc won’t ‘set the world alight’, be it Championship, PL or anywhere.
    They are doing / will do a sound job now.

• Ibizatoon

Feb 21, 2017 at 5:15 PM

What might show some perspective is, if not Dummett, Gouffran and Colback, which of our current squad would you like to see upgraded in the summer, once we are promoted (Yeah, you can blame me now if we implode and don’t keep our current league placing 🙂 )?

Or is the suggestion that we don’t need to replace any of our squad as we’re Championship champions?

Feb 21, 2017 at 5:16 PM

WW…

What’s to stop us simply buying a HG player who is better than he is? He’s an average defensive fullback and a standard CB at best – considering we’ve got 4 CBs who I’d play in front of him his ability in that position has no bearing on my thoughts on him so for all of the above I’d move him on and thank him for his contributions.

On Gayle, I’d love to be proved wrong on him but I think he’s a good mid-low PL striker at best who has done a really good job this season and can contribute as part of a stronger strike force but not as the main man.

If Wenger leaves this season I’d be amazed if they don’t try for Rafa.

• Ibizatoon

Feb 21, 2017 at 5:19 PM

Ruddy…Running with that…what would be the chances of us getting Wenger in return?

Might soften the blow a little.

• Jib

Feb 21, 2017 at 5:20 PM

Quiz

These matches last season
    NUFC 1 CPal 0
    NUFC 2 WHam 1
    Lpol 2 NUFC 2
    NUFC 2 Lpol 0
    NUFC 6 Norw 2
    Bmth 0 NUFC 1
    Tott 1 NUFC 2
    NUFC 3 ManU 3
    NUFC 3 Swan 0
    NUFC 5 Tott 1

Who is the only NUFC player started them all ?

Hint

His name begins with D and rhymes with Plummet.

Not PL quality ?

MEH !!!!!!!

Feb 21, 2017 at 5:21 PM

Ibiza

Well you know my stance on the issue haha I guess the argument on where we need to upgrade will depend on what people’s expectations are.

If we retained the squad we have right now we could feasibly (and comfortably) stay in the PL next season. Though if we keep Rafa I would imagine his ambitions to be much higher than this so I would upgrade the aforementioned 3 and then look to add a top striker.

Having an upgraded LW and CAM could be an option as Diame is not going to be good enough on the basis of this season’s showing and if Atsu signs permanently we could use backup and if he doesn’t he will need replacing.

What’s your thoughts?

Feb 21, 2017 at 5:22 PM

Jib

So you’re implying a cause/effect relationship then? Uh-huh…

• WWSBRD

Feb 21, 2017 at 5:23 PM

Ruddy
    Because in Europe we need Newcastle trained players and we can’t buy them

I’d play Dummett at CB 3rd choice tbh he was great there for us. He’s a good defender as long as the game is ahead of him

On Gayle we are going to be a lower-mid PL team most likely plus he’s earned his PL shot imo his movement is good he’s strong he’s pretty clinical and he scores all types of goals.. .I don’t see why he’d struggle too much tbh

And no way Arsenal will want Rafa imo

Feb 21, 2017 at 5:27 PM

WW…

Aiming high – I like it. 3rd choice? So your top 2 being Lascelles/Clark yes? So Dummett is better than Hanley and Mbemba at CB? Respectfully disagree there mate.

Absolutely agree on giving Gayle a shot in our PL squad but I doubt his ability to lead the line for an ambitious Rafa led Newcastle United team in the PL.

Arsenal are at a crossroads – they either value substance or style as it is woefully apparent they can’t have both. Rafa is naturally more defensive than Arsenal would be used to but he would instil a resilience that they have not shown in nigh on a decade. He’s a CL winner, multiple cup winner and has league winning pedigree.

Not mentioning him as a possibility would be insane.

• Our Toon

Feb 21, 2017 at 5:27 PM

Gayle will not make the grade in the PL as he didn’t for the likes of palace. He’ll still be useful as a squad player but never good enough to keep us up unfortunately.

Not many make that step up and he’s come down because he wasn’t anywhere near prolific enough

• WWSBRD

Feb 21, 2017 at 5:28 PM

Ibiza
    Depends on where it aiming for in the league really

Survival Left side and a CAM I reckon would do it

• hibbit

Feb 21, 2017 at 5:29 PM

WWSBRD @22
    Yedlin has a lot to learn to become a top prem FB
    i do think he can make the step up
    last night gave us a good idea how much he’s improving his defending qualities which should always come first for a FB no matter what Ruddy says
    WWSBRD @28