There Could Be Better News On Dwight Gayle

It did not look good when Dwight Gayle went off after only 33 minutes and he signaled he needed to come off about five minutes before that.

We watched the game again last night and there didn’t seem any indication from Dwight that the hamstring had gone again.

At the start of the second half the commentator on the game (it was on BeIN Sports live in the US) said the news from the dressing room was that it was a tight hamstring.

Dwight Gayle leaves and Rafa Benitez looks concerned

That seems to have been what could have happened and Rafa did say after the game he wasn’t right from the start and that could have been a tight hamstring.

Of course he will miss the game at home to Bristol City on Saturday and the vital top of the table clash with Brighton next Tuesday, but we hope maybe it was just a tight hamstring he could return shortly after that.

The next two games after the game at Brighton are games at Huddersfield and Reading the following Saturday and Tuesday and they are really important games.

There was also what looked like good news tweeted by chief Chronicle sports reporter Lee Ryder shortly after the game had ended.

And you have to think that Dwight was told if there was any problem at all with the hamstring come off the field.

So we live in hope that Dwight may be OK in a few weeks with the emphasis on hope.

It was a great 3 points last night after a poor first half performance.

Who Was Newcastle's Best Player Against Aston Villa

View Results
Loading ... Loading ...

• martoon

Feb 21, 2017 at 8:30 AM

I was at the game and Gayle seemed to be making runs OK, accelerating, turning etc. When he went off I hadn’t noticed him pull-up or hold his leg (although I may have missed it) and he did not seem to be limping when he went off. So hopefully it was precautionary and not too much damage done – presumably they’ll send him for a scan.

• Jib

Feb 21, 2017 at 8:41 AM

Martoon before he was tugged it was clear he wasn’t getting the lickings of a dog off the VIlla back four and Diamé’s weird positional choices (later rectified ) weren’t helping either.
    I think the substitution was tactical

• yorkymag

Feb 21, 2017 at 8:45 AM

Jib
    I think that is rather wishful thinking
    The lad is injured ,my guess is at least another four weeks

• martoon

Feb 21, 2017 at 8:50 AM

Jib – I hope you’re right. On the subject of Diame somebody commented last night it was good to have Diame instead of Perez. I can’t agree for me Diame had an absolute shocker – every time he had the ball he tried to barge his way past defenders and lost the ball most times.

• Essex Geordie Bill

Feb 21, 2017 at 8:51 AM

Essex Geordie Bill // Feb 21, 2017 at 12:56 AM

Just finished watching the game as I had to record it due to having visitors.

I seriously thought we were going to go down to ten men in the first half, as most of the decisions seemed to be going against us and I thought ‘oh no we’re not playing 12 men again. It was a struggle for us and it changed when Mitro came on. He had an immediate effect on the game and he didn’t look like a player who could get carded at any moment, more like his former no.9 Toon hero, tough but honest.

My MOM was Colback the unsung hero. I don’t see why he is classified as the side to side man, he got forward as much as anyone and nearly scored a good goal.

Yedlin, Ritchien Mitrovic and Shelvey were close to getting my vote and Darlow did exactly what he had to do when it was needed.

I know we collectively hate Lansbury but it was good to see Lascelles and Darlow shaking hands with him as old team mates, they were probably saying good goal mate. ?

As some one else said you had to shed a little tear of sympathy for Steve after the game, not. He looked like he’d been slapped with a frozen kipper. wouldn’t it be a shame if they got relegated? ?

19Essex Geordie Bill // Feb 21, 2017 at 12:59 AM

Everyone has probably gone to bed by now or are slightly p!ssed after a great win, so having typed a screed will probably repost it a million times tomorrow.

• Essex Geordie Bill

Feb 21, 2017 at 9:03 AM

I found it puzzling and frustrating watching Diame last night.

He was one of the tallest men on the pitch but won next to nowt in the air. Seemed to be jogging for most of the game and when he did get some speed up just ran into trouble.

I was wondering if we somehow had Sissoko back playing for us.

There were two good reason why Perez should have started instead, firstly I think our overall play would have flowed more and secondly I’d have won the bingo.

Dwight didn’t seem to be limping when he went off and I thought it might be tactical, but it does look it was a precautionary action. Turned out to be a good move as it happened.

• G

Feb 21, 2017 at 9:04 AM

Martoon, I was in the Upper Leazes, and after his first run in the box you could see something wasn’t right, he could run but not turn after that. Looked up from the box and saw Mitro running the wing warming up, and knew there was an issue. Hope its not serious.

• Shoulders knees

Feb 21, 2017 at 9:07 AM

Martoon,

I really can’t believe 37 people voted him mom!

Neil Taylor outmuscled him constantly, very poor positioning and touch, maybe two runs with ball that was the best he did, couldn’t get his feet off the ground to jump for headers. must say very pleased to have ground out that result last night. at this stage of the season results outweigh performance but wouldn’t life be easier if we were playing well too.

• martoon

Feb 21, 2017 at 9:09 AM

G – fair enough – I must have missed that.

• ballerfan2

Feb 21, 2017 at 9:10 AM

Wow. People really don’t like Dummett very much do they? To score him LESS than the pathetic Diame – really? I would even go so far as to say that Diame is actually WORSE than Sissoko. Perhaps Rafa might sell him in the summer for even more than the £30m we got from Spurs.

• Moonraker15

Feb 21, 2017 at 4:37 PM

Dummett is a good defender but he gets closed down quickly when given the ball from CM’s or goalie because the opposition know he will usually go backwards and inside rather than finding a forward up the left side.
    Re Diame I can’t believe he won absolutely nothing in the air.