This Newcastle Player Shows He’s Made Of The Right Stuff

Apart from the two goals we conceded at Norwich the Newcastle defense has been a  lot more solid of late and last night’s 2-0 win against Aston Villa was our third clean sheet in the last four games.

That’s since we conceded two goals at home to QPR in the 2-2 draw and another 2 points lost late in that game.

Karl Darlow – good confidence-boosting game last night

Karl Darlow has been in good form for the team apart form his catastrophic error at Norwich last week and both full-backs Paul Dummett and DeAndre Yedlin seem to be improving steadily as the season  progresses.

Our two center-backs Jamaal Lascelles and Ciaran Clark both had strong games last night too and they are both good in the air.

It was also pleasing to see Karl Darlow have a good game last night and he made a couple of good saves.

One was in the first half when he tipped a menacing cross over the cross-bar and then in the second half when he saved at point-blank range.

Karl has improved this season and certainly the mental aspect of his game seems to be very strong.

This is what Karl said on the Newcastle web-site after the game:

“I just needed to get back on track after the Norwich game, so I was happy with the saves.”

“It’s nice for me to contribute towards the team and with the second one especially, at 2-0, it might have changed things.”

“It’s good for me, but we were solid at the back again, never really gave them much, and that was key.”

“I was just excited to play again, to be honest – this game couldn’t come quick enough for me.”

“It was one of those where I was looking forward to getting back out on the pitch and getting back to what I have been doing.”

“It’s nice to have left that behind me now, and to have kicked on.”

“I think we’re on a good run here. We’ve had a couple of draws, but I think we’ve won four or five recently and if we keep this up until the end of the season, we’ll be looking really good,”

“They played some good stuff, Villa, but I thought we stuck to the game plan well.” “We kept it tight and we knew that we’d have opportunities.”

“We got the second goal and then I think we dominated, really – we had chances and we were playing some god stuff.”

“It was a good victory, a solid victory and we’re very pleased with it.”

“You’re going to have patches where it’s up and down in this league, and we’ve not really – touch wood – hit a bad patch.”

“As long as we keep on grinding out results and doing what we have done tonight, we’ll look very good for the end of the season.”

And goalkeeping coach Simon Smith tweeted some congratulations to the 26 year-old goalkeeper, who has become a fan favorite because of his excellent attitude and his good goalkeeping both this season and last season.

Who Was Newcastle's Best Player Against Aston Villa

View Results
Loading ... Loading ...

• ronaldo aarons

Feb 21, 2017 at 6:12 PM

Has there been a player of ours that splits fans right down the middle than Paul dummett. I like him defensively, very old school and deceptively quick. Tends to do well against fast wingers like sterling, navas etc.

He is limited in an attacking sense, maybe that’s down to him naturally being a cb as I’m sure he came up through the academy as a cb and only played lb when he was out on loan in Scotland. First and foremost a defender should defend and I think he does that part well. Not perfect but he’s still young for a defender.

Anything else is a bonus.

• Ruddy Marveaux-lous

Feb 21, 2017 at 6:12 PM

WW…

Just going to reply to your last comment on this thread. Lascelles is on a very steep learning curve and I think will quickly develop into a good/very good PL CB. Natural leader, strong aerial presence and I think is relishing this season to cement himself in this team. Next season I think he’ll kick on and prove his worth at PL level.

For me Dummett is a less useful James Perch who could play CDM, CB, CM and RB. As a squad player Perchinio contributed more than Dummett could – and before people kick off at me, I do readily admit that Perch was not all that good of a player, yet still better than Dummett in my eyes which is why I would move Dummett on. Constantly talking about a player who is woefully not up to par is beginning to bore me.

On Wenger, I see where you’re coming from, don’t think it’d be daft of Arsenal to go for him though. Who do you think they’d plump for? (Off NUFC topic I know but I’m curious).

• Ruddy Marveaux-lous

Feb 21, 2017 at 6:14 PM

To be fair Ronaldo Aarons, all of our full-backs for the past few seasons have split opinions – Santon, Simpson, Dummett, Anita, Colback, Mbiwa, Guti.

I think the last full-back that most people got behind unanimously was Enrique.

• ronaldo aarons

Feb 21, 2017 at 6:15 PM

I think gayle would be fine in the premier league, top scorer for palace from the left wing wasn’t he for 2 seasons?

If he’s up front on his own, I think he’ll struggle badly but if he had a strike partner I think he’d thrive. For me, him and mitro have the hallmarks of a great partnership which is more frustrating knowing that they won’t get an opportunity to build anything.

• ronaldo aarons

Feb 21, 2017 at 6:17 PM

Ruddy
    Yeah actually come to think of it, mitro is a player who splits fans too.

• Ruddy Marveaux-lous

Feb 21, 2017 at 6:21 PM

Ronaldo

I don’t think we Newcastle fans agree on much in all fairness.

• Jib

Feb 21, 2017 at 6:22 PM

Sunlun go to NewYork last weekend for a team bonding trip.

😀

They have a free open training session at the stadium of plight yesterday which is rammed (anything to save money entertaining the kids on a bank holiday)

Then Moyes rolls up at SJP .

Wonder if he was asking Rafa for tips on beating Everton ?

• ronaldo aarons

Feb 21, 2017 at 6:23 PM

I think it would be harsh to say get rid of dummett. He is good back up and cover for lb and cb. Of course we are going to need a better lb next year but it’s very unlikely we are going to buy 2 so dummett is worth keeping hold of. I don’t think he would kick up a fuss either playing second fiddle, seems a good pro.

• WWSBRD

Feb 21, 2017 at 6:33 PM

ronaldo
    Interesting on Atsu mate and don’t get me wrong I like him am just disappointed about how little he’s played. He might stick around am just not as confident about him staying next season anymore time will tell though

• Tinman

Feb 21, 2017 at 6:37 PM

With Mitrovic (Mom last night) likely to be playing a few games now it makes sense for Rafa to give Atsu a little run as well.

Harsh on the Gouff but he doesn’t get any crosses in. Having a left footer out wide will massively help Mitrovic.

• Essex Geordie Bill

Feb 21, 2017 at 6:39 PM

On Dummett I guess we’ll have to wait and see if he’s good enough for the EPL (again), I think he will be, if others want to cast him on to the football slag heap then that’s up to them.

Now Darlow, he is rubbish and will never step up to the EPL.

• WWSBRD

Feb 21, 2017 at 6:40 PM

Ruddy
    I think Lascelles is all what u said but he’s had a few poor games this season and he’s not hard to rattle I don’t think Dummett would be doing a worse job than him…equally I wouldn’t be surprised to see him on the bench next season

I think Dummett warrants a place in the squad just not the starting 11

As for Arsenal I think they will aim for Simeone Tuchel or Enrique but might end up with a De Boer type. Reckon regardless of who they will get they will drop off though much as Man Utd did after Ferguson

• Belfast

Feb 21, 2017 at 6:43 PM

Wwsbrd

Thanks. I’m glad my vastly superior knowledge and general brilliance sickens you.

Great save from Darlow at 2-0 and at crucial time. Good sign the way he bounced back after the shocker at Norwich.

And I’m sticking Villa down for the last relegation place.

• WWSBRD

Feb 21, 2017 at 6:44 PM

Essex
    U don’t rate Darlow?

• giimps

Feb 21, 2017 at 6:44 PM

Jib,
    scumberland take their players on a jolly to New York (as you pointed out) then the next week announce there are going to be job losses for non playing staff……talk about public relations…..maybe we should lend them the Bish to teach them how to play with smoke and mirrors.

• ronaldo aarons

Feb 21, 2017 at 6:45 PM

Wwsbrd
    Yeah I won’t love to see him get more starts for us and hopefully see him stay next year, don’t see it happening though.

Tinman
    That cross he put in last night was just begging someone to gamble. Mitro doesn’t do that enough, gayle would have been on it if he had been fit.

Essex Geordie
    I think he can step up, even though he looks a little like Steven Taylor! I think last year when there was a chance of us staying up, Darlow and lascelles starting to come into their own a bit. I think he can make the step up to PL and think he’s deserved the chance to after this year. Wouldn’t really call him rubbish though, that’s a little harsh.

• ronaldo aarons

Feb 21, 2017 at 6:46 PM

Won’t is would by the way int he post above.

• ronaldo aarons

Feb 21, 2017 at 6:47 PM

int he is in the lol, stupid predictive text!

• ronaldo aarons

Feb 21, 2017 at 6:50 PM

I’m not having a go at anyone at all, but when people say they don’t like this or that player. It would be nice to hear which player they prefer instead. Just a suggestion, please don’t take this wrong way anyone.

• WWSBRD

Feb 21, 2017 at 6:51 PM

Belfast
    Even when we agree we can’t be civil haha u reckon Mitro changed the game? I’d happily see Villa plummet further

• WWSBRD

Feb 21, 2017 at 6:53 PM

ronaldo
    I’d happily see Atsu stay am just not sure he will. I reckon we will be in the market for atleast 1 other winger come summer probably 2

• Essex Geordie Bill

Feb 21, 2017 at 6:56 PM

Actually I think Darlow is a top class GK, just thought I’d join in the saying something stupid party.

• toon kk

Feb 21, 2017 at 6:57 PM

I’m not a great Mitro fan, but credit when it’s due, he really lifted our play last night. Our first half was diabolical we definitely improved but was that down to villa giving up? Trouble with Mitrovic though for a striker he will never be a prolific goal scorer, he does add strength but few goals.

• giimps

Feb 21, 2017 at 6:59 PM

IMHO,
    Dummet is being castigated for not getting forward when in reality he may be following instructions from Rafa, we dont know ( or at least I dont) what the team instructions are and what has been said.
    What i do know is that Rafa must be happy with his workrate and contribution to the team otherwise he would have been replaced.
    on the odd occasion that he has advanced past the half way line and put crosses in , sometimes they are good , sometimes not so, same as Yedlin .
    If i was Rafa or any manager, i would not want both of my fullbacks marauding up the pitch when we attack in case it breaks down (unless you leave a Kante back) so it makes sense to me that if Yedlin and Ritchie are attacking Dummet needs to stay back so Lascelles and Clark can move across and cover.
    When Dummet gets the ball in our half the aim is to get it to Shelvey to get the ball forward , this normally means a bal over the top or out wide right as thats where our better attackers are.
    I think its a mental thing, Shelvey is not used to seeing Gouff or Dummet in good positions to attack so plays the ball to the quicker Yedders and R\itchie or Gayle.
    This is just my reading of it , It dont mean Dummet is poor, it means the left side is secure with Gouff and Dummet.
    It also means the opposition know we dont have a threat down the left very often so double up on Gayle Ritchie and DIame/Perez

• NoahJ

Feb 21, 2017 at 7:00 PM

Ronaldo

I’m personally not a fan of dummett. He is quick and on the whole gets the job done, but he always has a mistake in him, and can’t seem to use his right foot, which means he’s always likely to be second best when a player cuts inside. He has improved this season to be fair, and admittedly he’s the best we have in that position- haidara can’t seem to stay fit, and gamez who can play there is clearly not well thought of

• Jib

Feb 21, 2017 at 7:02 PM

Mark Douglas ?@MsiDouglas 1h

Gayle’s probably out for a month… So time for Mitro to prove himself. Great

• Jib

Feb 21, 2017 at 7:09 PM

Noah
    Gamez is a right back
    Perhaps you meant Achraf Lazaar

• dem

Feb 21, 2017 at 7:14 PM

Jethro Willems – friend of Gini. been linked with us for years. Searched to see when his contract was up (2018) and this story was top hit.

Not sure what he’s been like over the last season and a half but I’d be more than happy to replace PD (who I’d still keep in the squad).

• dem

Feb 21, 2017 at 7:14 PM

• Jail for Ashley

Feb 21, 2017 at 7:15 PM

Well eight winners from last nights bingo with debut scores from a couple of posters. Firebug has stormed in to second ahead of dem with a win and a bonus score and is now 31 points to dem’s 28, it’s getting interesting.
    Jail for Ashley // Feb 19, 2017 at 5:22 PM

For what it’s worth copied and pasted from Ed my confirmed Rafa Bingo line up
    Darlow
    Yedlin Lascelles (c) Clark Dummett
    Shelvey Colback
    Ritchie Diame Gouffran
    Gayle

• WWSBRD

Feb 21, 2017 at 7:16 PM

Essex
    I don’t think my opinion is stupid mate

Jeffery
    Heck of a tactical move from Rafa there to pull his best striker for a month to save face

• Jail for Ashley

Feb 21, 2017 at 7:16 PM

Dummet is an ideal squad player who I’d be happy to see on the bench every week in the PL.

• ronaldo aarons

Feb 21, 2017 at 7:16 PM

Wwsbrd
    Yeah agree with you. Can see us going for 2 as I think gouffran will be let go too.

toonkk
    You not a fan of mitro, I wouldn’t have guessed that 😉 lol just pulling your leg! I’m glad he made a good impact. One thing I’ve said about him is the majority of the time he plays our midfield plays further forward up the pitch. But yeah, he’s never a natural goal scorer and does seem to lack that instinct, things that cannot be learned in my opinion.

Giimps
    I get what you’re saying and how many times over the past couple seasons have we tried to push our full backs up to just lose the ball cheaply and get countered.

Noah
    To be fair, all defenders have flaws and weaknesses. i don’t really see many mistakes in him if I’m honest but regardless of that you’ve pretty much described him as a decent back up lb.

• ronaldo aarons

Feb 21, 2017 at 7:21 PM

Never been sold on willems, fantastic attacking full back don’t get wrong. Great going forward and crossing ability but very poor defensively. Only makes up for it in the Dutch league because of his rapid pace. Not seen much of him since he came back from his bad injury though so not sure if his pace is still the same.

• Jail for Ashley

Feb 21, 2017 at 7:24 PM

We could have had that Erik Pieters years ago, good solid dependable LB but Santon was deemed to have a better sell on value, that worked out well!

• Ron Knee

Feb 21, 2017 at 7:25 PM

Exit Owen Coyle.

• SPRINGY

Feb 21, 2017 at 7:25 PM

dummet has done what has been required this season,yes there is better players out there but we are in the championship,getting them was a non starter….so he deserves to be applauded when he does good as much as villified when he’s poor,willems may come in,in the summer.. but who knows if he would be better…..i think we may need to sign 6 players,cb,cm,no;10,striker…..plus 2 wingers….we may not get them in one window if we want class,we may have to wait and pick our battles as it were….i dont think gayle will be that hot in the premier but deserves the chance…if fit.

• Jail for Ashley

Feb 21, 2017 at 7:26 PM

WW…,
    That’ll fool the rest of the league, tactically withdraw your top and most likely scorer after just over half an hour then keep him out for a month, the rest of the league will just assume he is injured so when he returns super fit they won’t know what’s hit them.

• Jail for Ashley

Feb 21, 2017 at 7:27 PM

Ron Knee,
    Is he dead? You haven’t said RIP!

• giimps

Feb 21, 2017 at 7:29 PM

under previous managers we have been terrible at defending pace, we now have Dummet and Yedders who may not be the quickest but can keep up ,Dummet can also use his position to show wingers down the line and block balls into the box, Yedders is still learning too but is improving game on game.
    we seem to be better organised with a better shape under Rafa and most know their role, normally the only time we get done is when he changes loads of players the week before and it goes pear shaped .
    Since wev used basically the same team we hardly lose, even when we missed Shelvey and Gayle we only lost 2 games from 5 (shelveys absence) and are still winning without Gayle .
    Missing Gayle for another month ,when we have our most difficult run of games this season will be a test but Murphy has proved he can score and Mitro ha sshown it too, hes also coming back into form and will in all probability score in the next game as hes due one after being missing .
    Next season is next season, worry about that in June