This Experienced Playmaker Could Be Bargain Buy In Summer

During the last week of August last year it seemed a certainty that Alan Judge would join Newcastle, even though the player was still recovering from a double fracture of the right leg.

But then Newcastle found out that Alan would not be fit until the turn of the year and so it seems they pulled out of the deal.

Alan is in light training at the moment at Brentford, but he has still has not played for the Brentford first team this season, so that seems like a good decision by Newcastle.

Alan Judge – Brentford playmaker

The question now is whether Rafa Benitez will want to bring him in during the summer and add some creativity to the squad in central midfield.

The once capped Irish International is in the last five months of his contract at Brentford and will become a free agent at the end of June.

So in that sense he could become a bargain buy for Newcastle, although he has never played in the Premier League so in that way he is untested.

But Alan had a great season last season scoring 14 goals and 12 assists in 38 total appearances for Brentford.

He was also named in the PFA Championship Team of the Year last April and was one of the candidates for Player of The Season too.

Judge joined Brentford on loan from Blackburn Rovers in January, 2014 and finally signed for them full time that summer.

He started his career at Blackburn and then left for a couple of years to play for Notts County in 2011 before returning to Blackburn in 2013, but he stayed there for only six months before joining Brentford on loan.

Alan stands 5ft 7ins tall and in his three years at the Bees he’s played 102 games with 24 goals and 31 assists.

Judge was born in Dublin and played for all the Ireland Youth sides, but has been capped only once at the full International level.

He made his full International debut by starting the friendly against Switzerland in March of last year and played the full 90 minutes in the 1–0 win.

He was a certainty to make the full Ireland squad for the Euro 2106 tournament last June, before he suffered the serious double fracture of his right leg at Portman Road in April.

It really depends if Rafa Benitez rates him and thinks Alan can do a job for us next season, when hopefully we are back in the Premier League.

But he wouldn’t cost much and maybe he’s a risk worth taking, although he is now 28 years old.

What do you think?

• Our Toon

Feb 25, 2017 at 12:32 PM

Wouldn’t want him anywhere near our squad Ed. Sick note

• Chancel My MBembaship

Feb 25, 2017 at 12:35 PM

Just when you thought it was safe to go back into the blog… an Alan Judge article! I think the ship has sailed with this one Ed. If/when we go up, I think Rafa will want someone with a bit of top flight experience in that position.

• Ibizatoon

Feb 25, 2017 at 12:38 PM

Gambling with Championship players in the PL is one thing if they have helped with the promotion push, I wouldn’t be thrilled with the idea of buying championship players for our PL season though.

• Essex Geordie Bill

Feb 25, 2017 at 12:43 PM

Who?

• Bambams

Feb 25, 2017 at 12:45 PM

I think if we do go up a few foreign imports will come our way…

British players are so expensive at PL standard, Ash will still keep the purse strings tight.

• martoon

Feb 25, 2017 at 12:50 PM

Oldgit1 from last topic – As I said earlier ridiculous management decision by the Metro management – why not wait until tomorrow?
    Also there is a very good Park & Ride system from Great Park (North of Newcastle) which runs on match days.

• JackBall

Feb 25, 2017 at 12:53 PM

I love Ed, but when he gets a player in his head for the team, he likes to let us know about it.

• Bambams

Feb 25, 2017 at 12:54 PM

The more you look at Huddersfield fixtures the more important our game against them is.

Leeds scored…

• frankie

Feb 25, 2017 at 1:04 PM

No chance, if we go up our sights will be higher than Judge who would have been a good option this season but we’ve moved on.

• Thump

Feb 25, 2017 at 1:05 PM

I’d piss myself if we went in for him and he knocked us back.

Ed would be devastated.

• Moonraker15

Feb 25, 2017 at 1:05 PM

Ed
    Alan Judge was only going to be signed to aid our promotion push. He’s 28 and untried at the top level so there’s no way we will sign him now unless the unthinkable happens and we don’t go up!

• Jail for Ashley

Feb 25, 2017 at 1:09 PM

Gutted I can’t make it today, won’t even be able to check my bingo result till three o clock, the joys of week 🙁

• Moonraker15

Feb 25, 2017 at 1:16 PM

Bambams
    Rather than us see the next 3 games (after Bristol) as a big problem, those 3 clubs will not be too confident playing us, so I see it as a chance to more or less seal promotion if we go unbeaten in at least 2 of them! Huddersfield will not win every game nor remain unbeaten. We have the squad!

• jasper

Feb 25, 2017 at 1:21 PM

Rafa Bingo
    Darlow
    Yedlin. Lascalles Clark. Dummett
    Shelvey Colback. Atsu. Gouffran
    Perez
    Mitro
    Result 4 – 0
    But would love to see Mbemba as DM and wingers playing on correct side so as to play to Mitro’s strengths

• Budge123

Feb 25, 2017 at 1:23 PM

Confirmed Rafa Bingo Bango
    Darlow
    Yedlin Lascelles Clark Dummett
    Shelvey Colback
    Ritchie Diame Goufron
    Mirto

3-0 Toon win.
    Think the weather might be a leveler today though.

• Ron Knee

Feb 25, 2017 at 1:25 PM

Lee Ryder?
    New sponsor to be unveiled at #nufc but no change of stadium name again.

• Average_Contents

Feb 25, 2017 at 1:27 PM

From NUFC and the fans forum which was on Thursday.

New sponsor
    The club confirmed that positive progress has been made in relation to a new main shirt sponsor for the 2017/18 campaign, with an announcement to be made as soon as it is in a position to do so.
    It was also confirmed that the stadium’s name will not change from St. James’ Park in relation to the new sponsorship.

• toon king

Feb 25, 2017 at 1:30 PM

I watched the game monday but was bored after 30 mins , the win was great but the performance was defencive. Rafa looks very keen defensive manager and he’ll want to build the team up to that sort of structure knowing whats coming up.

I predict 2-0 win

• Bambams

Feb 25, 2017 at 1:31 PM

Moonraker

I do agree it is in our hands and they are all ‘six pointers’ so to speak. I just feel we are not playing as well as Huddersfield or Brighton yet we are still top.

Would love to see a good result today to give confidence going into these games.

I hope you are right about Huddersfield dropping some points, they are on a great run at the minute.

If we could get some results over these four games, especially against Huddersfield then I think we will have the momentum to get top two.

Just wish Gayle had been fit.

Cheers for the craic fella

• Belfast

Feb 25, 2017 at 1:33 PM

It’s probably sportsdirect.com uks number one

• Belfast

Feb 25, 2017 at 1:34 PM

🙂

• Legolas

Feb 25, 2017 at 1:35 PM

At work, so if I am not to late my Rafa Bingo selection is:

Darlow

Yedlin Lascelles Clark Dummett

Atsu Shelvey Colback Gouffran

Diame

Mitrovic

HWTL

• Our Toon

Feb 25, 2017 at 1:39 PM

I’ll have a go at the bingo

Darlow
    Yedlin laschelles Clark dummett
    Colback shelvey
    Atsu Perez gouffran
    Mitro

I’m going with 4-1 win

• Jib

Feb 25, 2017 at 1:40 PM

seeing toon king moan about the match on Monday being boring and watching the Yorks derby on tv got me thinking.

If you think we can be boring now you should have seen us vs Don Revie’s Leeds.

Back passes to the Goalie were permitted and the tackling made you wince in the stands .

• Jib

Feb 25, 2017 at 1:41 PM

pen for Wednesday

• Jib

Feb 25, 2017 at 1:42 PM

Saved

• Jib

Feb 25, 2017 at 1:43 PM

Green saves from Rhodes

• Bambams

Feb 25, 2017 at 1:44 PM

What a shocking penalty attempt ! Why try and look casual, put your foot through it man !

• Jib

Feb 25, 2017 at 1:48 PM

Callum McManaman still a dirty player

• toonincheek

Feb 25, 2017 at 1:51 PM

Bambams –

That penalty was pretty good. OK, not perfect
    but I would put it down to an outstanding save.

• Bambams

Feb 25, 2017 at 1:55 PM

Toonincheek

It was on target….My 5 year old granddaughter could of struck it harder.

I still prefer the ball on target but with a bit of power. Too many casual ‘I look cool’ attempts these days.

In my opinion fella.

• AncientC

Feb 25, 2017 at 1:58 PM

I wouldn’t be surprised to see Ameobi named here, after Benitez’ comments.

• Moonraker15

Feb 25, 2017 at 2:00 PM

Bambams
    The pattern all season has been for each team to win 5 or 6 on the trot then fall away a bit (big time with Huddersfield early on). I think like you that Huddersfield have played the best football but I doubt they can keep up that high press game in this league and will fall away ( I hope). We have been unspectacular but usuall grind out results. I think Rafa’s plan for the 3 big games will be to not lose if we can’t win and our away form is good! However I fancy us to overwhelm Bristol today which will set us up nicely! HWTL!

• toonincheek

Feb 25, 2017 at 2:05 PM

Bambams –

Respect your opinion – just disagree.

But you are taking advantage of the English way of making
    ridiculous exaggerations that cannot seriously be accepted.

Your 5-year old granddaughter could have struck it harder?
    Ho hum.

• Moonraker15

Feb 25, 2017 at 2:12 PM

Toonincheek
    Let’s be clear! It was a crap penalty from a very overrated player!

• Jib