Prediction – Rafa’s Team For Brighton – 5 Changes

It’s always difficult to predict a side to play in the next game because it’s very hard to read Rafa Benitez – even after his press conferences.

But it’s clear Dwight Gayle is not in the squad until he gets his confidence back that his hamstring is indeed OK.

There’s a chance that Rafa could bring back Rob Elliot in goal although he seems to have supported Karl Darlow since his mistake with Paul Dummett on Saturday that cost us a goal and 2 points against Bristol City.

Rob Elliot – could return for tomorrow’s game

That 2-2 draw was very hard to take,  because we should have had 3 points against the 4th bottom side who have been struggling for over two months in the league.

So here’s a team Rafa could start tomorrow night and we have made 5 changes from the side that started against Bristol City on Saturday.

Elliot
Anita Lascelles (c) Clark Dummett
Shelvey Colback
Ritchie Diame Gouffran
Murphy

The two big changes that Rafa may not make for tomorrow’s game are to bring Rob Elliot back in goal and to play Irish International striker up front in place of Aleksandar Mitrovic, who gave us very little last Saturday.

It really depends on how Elliot and Murphy have been training and how good they have looked.

But it’s Vurnon Anita and his experience back in after that ankle  injury at right back for DeAndre Yedlin – and Mo Diame in for Ayoze Perez in the number 10 role – again more experience for the tough game.

In the same way Yoan Gouffran comes back in for Christian Atsu because of his extra experience.

So we have made 5 changes from last time out.

What’s your team to play Brighton & Hove Albion?

How Will Newcastle Fare At Brighton?

View Results
Loading ... Loading ...

• Thump

Feb 27, 2017 at 5:10 PM

What’s the word on Hayden btw? I thought he’d have been back in training by now.

• barkel

1-2
    1-4
    HWTL!

• hibbit

Feb 27, 2017 at 5:31 PM

Thump
    I agree legitimate concerns shouldn’t be disregarded
    but some on here think they know best
    they have no idea of the qualities of the championship
    predict cricket scores week after week and are bitterly disappointed when their predictions don’t meterlies
    9 games undefeated 2nd in the league yes it could have been better but its not the end of the world

• WWSBRD

Feb 27, 2017 at 6:03 PM

Wagner touchline ban 2 games (hard lines eh get a better view of us beating them though)

And a paddy power publicity stunt for Ranieri which just reminds me of Wraiths St James Park funeral…ug football at times

• Munster Mag

Feb 27, 2017 at 6:11 PM

Im with Barkel ‘s prediction

• carl

Feb 27, 2017 at 6:15 PM

hibbit
    I agree with you. Talk of complacency on Saturday I saw one fan who doesn’t know best had forecast us winning 5 nil. Some don’t know how to support we will pull through with a few draws to keep our run going.
    It certainly isn’t the end of the world but there will be a few twists and turns to come and fans need to approach games realistically.

• Tsunki

Feb 27, 2017 at 6:15 PM

Scout from previous no not mad the point is they have been chipping at the promotion game for a while. We are noobs. Again. 🙂

• Average_Contents

Feb 27, 2017 at 6:20 PM

Interesting read. So they did want him upstairs and he said no.

I’d love to know who that player was who stuck two fingers up.

• martoon

Feb 27, 2017 at 6:29 PM

Average_Contents @7 – I would say either Dyer or Bellamy would be the culprits.

• MadisonToon

Feb 27, 2017 at 6:29 PM

Confirmed Rafa Bingo

Darlow
    Yedlin Lascelles Clark Dummett
    Anita Shelvey
    Ritchie Diame Atsu
    Mitrovic

I’m not sure what the Diame/Mitro combination will turn up but with Atsu and Ritchie being willing runners down the flanks or into the corners, I’d be interested to see if it will provide more than having Perez as the link-up man would do. Anyway, quite the match tomorrow and I think we’ll get at least a goal but might let in a few as well, can’t see it being a nil-nil.

• Belfast

Feb 27, 2017 at 6:53 PM

Skunki Huddersfield are usually fighting relegation. I do get your point though.

• Belfast

Feb 27, 2017 at 6:56 PM

Do still have to keep you in line every so often.

• Jail for Ashley

Feb 27, 2017 at 7:08 PM

Munster,
    We know you didn’t like Pardew but…… and we know you like Rafa but……. but ffs are we going to hear you harp on about his tactics until he changes his lifetime philosophy that have brought him multiple honours. We get it, you want to see us attack more, e mail him at his web site I’m sure he’ll reply. And as for coming nowhere near saving us it was two points difference and on the penultimate game, if a disinterested Everton had’nt of rolled over it might have gone to the wire.

• Vask

Feb 27, 2017 at 7:14 PM

I reckon…

————-Elliot———–
    Yedlin-clark-lacelles-dumit
    —–shelves–momo—-
    Rich—Perez—Le gouff
    —–—-Robocop—–

I kind of like the idea of Robocop upfront, could bring some much needed steel to the front line.

Elliott is due back, but mebbies this game mightn’t be the correct timing. Still i’d like to see him coming back in at some point soon. See if he’s still got it as it were.

Losing a little faith in mitty at the minute, but hey, all strikers go through dry spells, amirite hibbit?

• dannitoon

Feb 27, 2017 at 7:14 PM

Darlow

yedlin Clark Lascelles Lazaaaaaaaar

Shelvey

Atsu Diame Gouffran

Ritchie

Mitro

• Ron Knee

Feb 27, 2017 at 7:15 PM

U-18s losing.

• Jail for Ashley

Feb 27, 2017 at 7:16 PM

And never mind Brighton, Huddersfield or Wolves a better comparison is Villa considering they came down with us and are a similar size in standing, in fact you couldn’t get a better comparison, a club in disaray with an ambitionless owner, they spent more than us and hired a CL winning manager, they had to sack him and bring in a Championship plodder who’s also struggling, the only difference is the fans, what do you think would have happened to us if we’d brought in Pearce or Pearson or (insert) any other spineless patsy.

• Moonraker15

Feb 27, 2017 at 7:16 PM

Can’t believe 38%, a majority are voting we will lose against Brighton!
    FFS Huddersfield beat them 3-0! It’s not fcukin Chelsea we’re playing!
    We’ll beat them!

• welshgeordie9

Feb 27, 2017 at 7:20 PM

Hoping for a Liverpool win tonight.

• ShirebrookToon

Feb 27, 2017 at 7:22 PM

Welsh

I think the team who’s name begins with the letter L will win tonight

• welshgeordie9

Feb 27, 2017 at 7:23 PM

Brighton play better attractive football and a joy to watch, watching Newcastle play is like watching Bolton under Allardyce, why can’t we we play attacking football, weren’t we called the entertainers years ago.

• Vask

Feb 27, 2017 at 7:23 PM

Just read what Shakespere said before the match. Sounds rather carveresque, I only read the first line though.

• Moonraker15

Feb 27, 2017 at 7:26 PM

Carl
    I forecast a 5-1 victory against Bristol not because I “didn’t know better” but because we have hammered teams already this season and have scored a lot of goals. It could easily have been 5-2 at the end with the chances created. You make us sound like losers when we’re top of the league unbeaten in nine!

• Moonraker15

Feb 27, 2017 at 7:28 PM

Welsh
    I watched every game the Entertainers played; brilliant to watch but we won nothing!

• Jail for Ashley

Feb 27, 2017 at 7:30 PM

welshgeordie9,
    Well go and make Brighton your sixth team or whatever you’re up to.

• welshgeordie9

Feb 27, 2017 at 7:40 PM

25Moonraker15

I would rather play good attacking football and win nothing than play dull and defensive.

• welshgeordie9

Feb 27, 2017 at 7:40 PM

Jail

You would like that wouldn’t you.

• carl

Feb 27, 2017 at 7:47 PM

Moon
    I didn’t have you in mind . The know nowt in question will know it’s him and that he had forecast a 5-0 scoreline. His post suggested Bristol City a team fighting relegation hadn’t got a prayer. I was saying complacency( first half) doesn’t only impact the team but fans as well with such arrogance and believe that we just have to turn up to win convincingly.

• Mister Tuff

Feb 27, 2017 at 7:49 PM

moonraker – he was not getting at you but having another pop at me – I had predicted a 5 -0 victory for the Toon.
    As you pointed out we could have easily scored five. I would argue the same point – two early goals gifted then we battered them and could have scored five.
    Just another blog trouble maker – agrees with and hoop licks another poster to try and curry flavour to cause division. Now who do we know who has that modus operandi.
    No prizes for quessing.

• Mister Tuff

Feb 27, 2017 at 7:53 PM

right again -come back on after doing my previous post and he is there to continue his mischief.
    Not much difference between 5 -0 and 5 -1 but he chooses me to have a dig thus continuing his blog mischief.
    carl (little “c”)/Ian Toon stop your mischief.

• carl

Feb 27, 2017 at 7:55 PM

Mister Tuff
    I see you’re know longer being moderated.

• carl

Feb 27, 2017 at 7:56 PM

Stop linking me with other posters or you will be.

• Jail for Ashley

Feb 27, 2017 at 7:59 PM

Where’s Bobbybee or Oldgit1 to condemn this behaviour then?

• Jail for Ashley

Feb 27, 2017 at 8:00 PM

carl, Ian, Jack Root etc, you devisive turd!

• Tsunki

Feb 27, 2017 at 8:01 PM

I think I was being moderated while Ed went off and looked up “noob” he he

• toontaff2

Feb 27, 2017 at 8:02 PM

I predicted 5-1.
    I always predict 5-1.
    I love the score 5under1and!

• Jail for Ashley

Feb 27, 2017 at 8:04 PM

I am 5-0

• toon kk

Feb 27, 2017 at 8:05 PM

Unfortunately I think we’ll be ripped apart by Brighton then given a football lesson by Huddersfield. We’re a very nervous under pressure team atm, with our cutting edge missing in Gayle, and with our back and sideways tactics along with our stupid mistakes we’re in for a tough run.
    Just hope I’m proven wrong.

• JP...from The Rock