Benitez’ Initial Points Estimate For Promotion Not Enough

It’s the first time we’ve seen Rafa Benitez talk about a points total for promotion this season, but that’s what he’s done in both the Express and Star today and it turns out the points total he thought would get us automatic promotion may not be enough, with Huddersfield Town now hot on our heels.

Rafa says that he thought 90 points would be enough and with Newcastle on 70 points now after 33 games we would need 20 points in those last 13 games and well within out grasp as long as we cut out giving goals away as we’ve done too much of recently.

It seems Rafa has found the Championship and extremely difficult league because of the games coming thick and fast and also every single game is a test.

Rafa Benitez – Newcastle manager

We found that out from Bristol City at home on Saturday and they had lost 10 of their last 13 games but still were 2-0 up and we scraped a point with an equalizer 8 minutes from time.

🙁

If we keep up our average of 70 points from 33 games we’ll finish with 98 points after 46 games played, which should be enough, but we cannot afford any slumps.

It also seems Rafa would take second place now to get promoted.

This is some of what he’s said as reported in the Express today:

“We had a figure of 90 points that would guarantee promotion…but not now – 90 points may not be enough.”

“We have to think about one game at a time, but we don’t know if that will be enough.”

“I was manager of Napoli and we did not qualify from our Champions League group with 12 points, but some do it with seven.”

“I have no problem if someone said to me now that we would go up in second, I would take that – I don’t have any problem with trophies.”

“April will be crucial and I have said that for months.” “If we won these next three games maybe that will be crucial.”

“But we still have seven games in April and that is when things will be decided.”

“If we win at Brighton then the next will be easier – so let’s concentrate on Brighton.”

Our fans are not too confident of getting win tonight at the Amex so the players can give us a very nice surprise that will cheer everybody up after Saturday’s first half display.

A win tonight is exactly what the doctor ordered.

How Will Newcastle Fare At Brighton?

View Results
Loading ... Loading ...

• Essex Geordie Bill

Feb 28, 2017 at 12:43 PM

Re previous thread, I heard that Barnsley have a good young striker we could easly get.

• Lindisfarne

Feb 28, 2017 at 12:45 PM

One at a time….

• Essex Geordie Bill

Feb 28, 2017 at 12:46 PM

Game’s on Sky tonight, haven’t told the missus yet, she loves it when I start swearing at the TV. Might not have to hopefully.

• JackBall

Feb 28, 2017 at 12:47 PM

Sorry for repost, missed the bus as they seem to say.

The Hudd game is more important in that with win there and a draw tonight, we should be at worse even to where we are now with two less games to the end. That being said, I do understand some trepidation, but not the outright pessimism about the Brighton game. I am excited. True we need to be top two at the end, but isn’t this the type of important game you want to see. A little heart in stomach excitement is what sports are about, I am confident our team will play hard and I see no reason why we can’t take all three points. We have played great on the road all season and I am jealous of our away fans (who will be there in person and voice. I would love to be there.

• Thump

Feb 28, 2017 at 12:48 PM

It’s going to be a photo finish like last season. Great viewing for the neutral, perhaps…

• JackBall

Feb 28, 2017 at 12:49 PM

Essex, Wife is away for me, but the dog will probably be under the table.

• Lindisfarne

Feb 28, 2017 at 12:52 PM

Good news:

?Newcastle, meanwhile, haven’t lost an away game on a Tuesday since going down to Spurs in December 2010, winning four and drawing three since.
    ?Magpies striker Daryl Murphy has scored in each of his last four Championship appearances against Brighton (four goals).
    ?Murphy is the highest scoring Championship opposition player at the Amex (since 2011-12), netting four goals in five previous appearances.

• Tsunki

Feb 28, 2017 at 12:57 PM

Ok Average, Thump – I see I got a bit of reaction when I put a case in favour of FFS over Ashley. Ok.

Let’s leave out the insults to the Geordie nation because there’s little to distinguish the two. And forget financial affairs, they are also equally muddy, plus it’s of no concern to the celebrated Man in the Street as we never actually went bust.

That leaves team quality, club status and achievement (pl status, cl football etc). Let’s compare them now. Anyone like to start?

😀

• JackBall

Feb 28, 2017 at 12:57 PM

I don’t know if Rafa is such a statistic oriented manager, but that is a case for a Murp start.

• Tsunki

Feb 28, 2017 at 1:04 PM

Winbar is creeping up as the memory of the last match fades ha ha

• Tsunki

Feb 28, 2017 at 1:05 PM

Essex – at a certain point in every TV match i watch my other half will come in and tell me off for shouting at the TV ha ha I can set my watch by it. Bet she can too tbf 🙂

• Tsunki

Feb 28, 2017 at 1:07 PM

FFS and MA – who’s the best? There’s only one way to find out……… FIIIIIGGGHHHT!

• Essex Geordie Bill

Feb 28, 2017 at 1:07 PM

Can’t help thinking Rafa will play players who didn’t perform in their last game but were trying. Which is why I believe Darlow, Dummett and Mitrovic will start.

Don’t know if he’s superstitious but I’ve gambled on Gouffron playing behind Mitro in my bingo lineup.

We tend to win when Gouffron starts.

• Belfast

Feb 28, 2017 at 1:07 PM

I’d like to welcome the other 991 people to the draw club. I’m here all the time.

• Average_Contents

Feb 28, 2017 at 1:08 PM

Tsunki

Wakey wakey.

My “doing a Leeds” remark was sarcasm and as for the comparing ffs and the slug, well, there is no comparison tbh. Don’t know why you think otherwise where I’m concerned.

I merely pointed out he would of fought harder, not to stop the takeover as he suggested but to extract more money out of the deal hence the 1p/4p.

Hope that clears it up for you.

• Tsunki

Feb 28, 2017 at 1:09 PM

I usually vote for a draw, just thought the winbar needed a bit of help

• Essex Geordie Bill

Feb 28, 2017 at 1:10 PM

Tsunki at least there’s 64% who think we won’t lose. 🙂

• Tsunki

Feb 28, 2017 at 1:12 PM

Average – I got that. But the extra cash remark threw me a bit as I couldn’t see any reason why a greedy businessman wouldn’t do that 😐

• Tsunki

Feb 28, 2017 at 1:13 PM

Wesley wakey? Someone’s nursing a sore head lol

• Average_Contents

Feb 28, 2017 at 1:14 PM

Blah blah bla bla blah bla probably would of been sufficient.

Think we’ll get panned tonight if we don’t turn up.

Hopefully they’ve had a Rafa rocket from the weekend and come out all guns blazing, play them off the park.

Hwtl
    Hwtf

• Tsunki

Feb 28, 2017 at 1:14 PM

Wesley Wakey? He’s a right troublemaker is Wes

• Average_Contents

Feb 28, 2017 at 1:22 PM

*playing them off the park.

Btw, the blah bla was in regards to my explanation.

Yeah, I get you get the greedy businessman but thought I’d say it anyway.

Can I ask you a question? Are you a shepherd family member/associate/friend haha.

• Rotonda heights

Feb 28, 2017 at 2:16 PM

i don’t get why people think this is a great squad who should breeze this league.

we sold our 4 best players and shrewdly bought ritchie and gayle, the latter now sadly injured. but those 2 and possibly shelvey on his day are the only ones anywhere near PL standard and to be where we are is quite an achievement, while still operating with the likes of dummet, colback etc.

We would have had another 10 points if it wasn’t for shocking refs, most notably v fulham and notts forest and darlow chucking 3 in, in 3 different games.

If rafa’s system is so bad why are we virtually top in everything, ie goals scored, least conceded etc, etc.

• Budge123

Feb 28, 2017 at 2:21 PM

Bit of an odd one tonight not sure if we should stick or twist.
    Containment tactics working great away from home but needs a willing workhorse up front.

I’d like to see Hanley come in for captain calamity and Gouff bring his energy upfront but not sure we will ( or indeed should) change in such a big game.

So confirmed Rafa Bingo Bango

Darlow
    Yedlin Lascelles Clark Dummett
    Shelvey Colback
    Ritchie Diame Gouffran
    Murphy

1-1

• TrustSean

Feb 28, 2017 at 2:37 PM

For any betting men out there, Paddypower’s got a 12/1 on Newcastle winning for new customers tonight – thought it was worth mentioning 🙂

• TrustSean

Feb 28, 2017 at 2:38 PM

There’s probably some terms and stuff, but hey, still decent odds

• JackBall

Feb 28, 2017 at 2:40 PM

I am not a gambler on sports, so maybe not the best one to comment, but I never understood betting on your team – why would you need anymore excitement on rooting for your team.

• dem

Feb 28, 2017 at 3:11 PM

Rafa Bingo

Darlow
    Yedlin Lascelles Clark Dummett
    Shelvey Colback
    Ritchie Diame Gouffran
    Mitrovic

2-1

• Our Toon

Feb 28, 2017 at 3:27 PM

Rotonda

The players we lost were never going to stay in this league. The squad we have for this league is far superior than anyone else’s that includes dummett and Colback who have a wealth of top league appearances, as for dummett rafa bought Lazaar and The Spanish lad (name escapes me) and they’ve barely had a kick, are you blaming dummett for being better than those 2?

I’d say 90% of fans predicted a more comfortable road back to PL. I distinctly remember claims of better to go down and rebuild last season. All the experts expected it to be easier than it has been, even the bookies did.

Out of curiosity what was your prediction before the season started?

• Our Toon

Feb 28, 2017 at 3:29 PM

I think we’ll get a point tonight but Brighton are there for the taking though. I hopeful of 3 points, a defeat doesn’t even enter my thought process for this game as we have such a good away record

• mindshaft

Feb 28, 2017 at 3:30 PM

Raining here in Brighton , am looking forward to match

• Budge123

Feb 28, 2017 at 4:00 PM

Mindshaft – what are the locals saying . easy home win or hardest game of the season?

• The Newcastle Armchair

Feb 28, 2017 at 4:03 PM

Ranieri was riding a complete fluke of an enigma which was a Leicester team so unpredictable – coinciding with a Premier league which happened to be lopsiding also, almost like the Sun and the Moon eclipsing once every so many years.

Whatever the Leicester team and Pearson did in Thailand the season they were nearly relegated had won them the title after their winning spark – giving them confidence for the season after almost like ‘lets stay away from the relegation zone this season’ syndrome.

Ranieri just had to come in and steady the ship – coupled with Vardy matching Van Nistlerooy’s record, brooding confidence and arrogance around the team.

Personally, I think it is true that it is true that the players did say to the owners that they wanted him gone – Vardy leading the line in that. Almost like a Clough and Billy Bremner moment.

Ranieri took too much credit for what the Leicester players achieved – of many which were and are still bandied about as being ‘average’. Yes this is true, look at Simpson. However, this implies the manager takes more credit for the achievement. “What Ranieri did with Leicester was amazing”.

Whoever managed the club that season was getting a free Premier League trophy imho.

The players realised this, and so requested to get rid of him. Disgusting, but I’d be pretty p***ed off if my manager was making drastic tactical changes with no explanation. Have you ever seen the state of their 442 diamond under Ranieri?

He made too many changes, and got the chop. The whole nation is upset. The whole nation is deluded.

• mindshaft

Feb 28, 2017 at 4:03 PM

Brighton fans reckon they’ll win – 3-1 seems to be what most reckon .. cheeky c0nts

• toon kk

Feb 28, 2017 at 4:05 PM

Earlier in the season when Gayle was fit and we didn’t fk about as much I would have expected a win tonight, I know others disagree probably trough optimistic thinking or whatever but I reckon we’ll be either winning at half time and throw it away or they’ll just dominate the whole game.
    One thing for cirtain we’ll can’t play well for ninety minutes for what ever reason.

• mindshaft

Feb 28, 2017 at 4:07 PM

NewcieArmchair – that’s a joke right, manager rightly takes glory along with the players ( who all got huge bonuses and pay rises Vardy/Mahrez/Drinkwater etc).
    They didn’t have to take a pay cut when hardly putting in effort nor get the sack
    Manager takes the glory and the consequences of poor results

• Tsunki

Feb 28, 2017 at 4:07 PM

Average no no no no no good grief no. I just like to be even handed about the whole thing. When people talk about the Hall/Shepherd era it lately seems to descend into a repainted history and tbf they were your typical grasping scallywags, products of the day I suppose. But on the flip side there was nothing we could do or be concerned about regarding their financial shenanigans and dodgy morals. (Allegedly). But you have to be fair, they were a preferable roguish bunch to the cynical lot in charge now in so far as footballing wise they were miles away better than now. No argument.

• toon kk

Feb 28, 2017 at 4:08 PM

Our toon
    That’s our only hope, we usually play better away from home with a little pressure off.

• Belfast

Feb 28, 2017 at 4:10 PM

Think I predicted 92 points in the pre season prediction. Manxpie gave me abuse for predicting under 100. He thought we’d walk it. On current form my prediction could be pretty close.

I did expect us to lose most of our points away from home though.

• Tsunki

Feb 28, 2017 at 4:12 PM

Ok I’m going for a 2-0 or 3-1 to us tonight. Demoralising blow for the gulls and will precede their dropping behind us alarmingly in the table in the following three games. We will then go on to comfortably roll over Huddersfield and trundle inexorably on to promotion from there.

In short, nothing can possibly go wrong.