Delighted Fans React To Monumental Win At Brighton

At this point of the season it’s all about the results as we ground out on Saturday.

Newcastle came from behind again tonight at the Amex Stadium and got the result we all wanted and 3 points against Brighton who looked a good side.

Just think what Newcastle could do when we play somewhere near out best for two halves – that would be something.

But all credit to our players for their gutsy performance and they found a way to win when we struggled a bit again tonight.

Players celebrate Ayoze Perez sensational late winner

It’s a memorable win that will long live in our memories.

Surely we can now go on and get promotion now?

Sorry – getting carried away again.

Here are some typical tweets from delighed Geordie fans.

• Jail for Ashley

Feb 28, 2017 at 10:43 PM

Atsu’s cross for the first goal was class.

• Tsunki

Feb 28, 2017 at 10:46 PM

Hilarious. In a word.

• RUNAWAY777

Feb 28, 2017 at 10:46 PM

Second one was not bad as he looked for someone in the box

• jane

Feb 28, 2017 at 10:47 PM

Huddersfield have a very tough match at Man City tomorrow, it will be interesting how they approach it.

• Munster Mag

Feb 28, 2017 at 10:49 PM

Jail, have a look at the analysis by Rob Lee after the game and the Irish guy. Both reflect what I am saying. Never had my loyalty to the Toon questioned. Only by a no nowt twat on the internet. Get stuffed , I’m glad I occupy your thoughts so much when you keep reflecting to what I say after a game. A guy cant make his own assessment of the game because it might offend your Rafa loyalty? Laughable idiot. Rafa did well and not so well in this game – same as the players. I think we were a little lucky to win. Many analysts will agree with that. Its not an unbalanced unfair opinion. I can discuss football with smart guys on here like Bobby, Lilongwe, Average, and many more. But if anyone questions Rafa’s tactics , you get in a strop. Grow up you halfwit.

• RUNAWAY777

Feb 28, 2017 at 10:50 PM

Kept six of there players out first game think they will do the same as league will be there goal

• Fostino

Feb 28, 2017 at 10:50 PM

Darlow

Yedlin lascalles clark dummett

Ritchie Diame shelvey astu

Murphy perez

This team is what we finished with and would happily see start against Huddersfield

A bit harsh on goofy perhaps

P.s. I taught Diame for most of tonight’s game was awful. Murphy introduction ..And dropping deeper worked for him.

• RUNAWAY777

Feb 28, 2017 at 10:52 PM

Munster mag tell the daft twat to f..k off bro

• firebug666

Feb 28, 2017 at 10:52 PM

Mo Diame bagged the equaliser that saw Newcastle on their way to victory at Brighton’s Amex Stadium.

His fortuitous lucky flick that looped into the net, following Glenn Murray’s opener, and just before sub Ayoze Perez sent the travelling Magpies fans into raptures with a late winner, got the ball rolling as United returned to the top of the Championship table this evening.

But did the midfielder mean it? Here he reveals all…

“It was unintentional. It was lucky but that is football,” Diame told Sky Sports.

“It is an important win for us.

“We had a bad game against Bristol so it was important we won.

“We are ready to fight all the way.”

The Senegalese international was then asked what the celebrations would be like in the Newcastle changing room, but with Huddersfield next up on Saturday he says they will be subdued.

“We need to carry on. We need to work hard,” he said.

“We know we need to go up.”

• Belfast

Feb 28, 2017 at 10:54 PM

Frank was obviously stoned. Knockart was shit.

• Toonces

Feb 28, 2017 at 10:54 PM

I agree with others who say Diame is our best option beside Shelvey so long as Hayden is out. My only concern with Diame in that position so close to our back four is his first touch and initial control makes me nervous. I expect him to have a poor or heavy touch and give the ball away too close to our goal. But I like him carrying the ball from deep when the space is there for him to take.

• Munster Mag

Feb 28, 2017 at 10:56 PM

One of the smarter posters ( that wont be you Jail) pointed out how fit Rafa and co have got the team, in terms of our fitness towards the end – only person who said it. Definitely true. Maybe its unfair ( don’t comment Jail, your opinion is so biased it carries zero gravitas) but thought we weren’t good in real terms until the last quarter. We had more possession but our goalie pulled off some very good saves. I thought we looked over reliant on Shelvey and didn’t make the most of the wingers because we had no target man. If anything I thought Rafa could have got Murphy on sooner. This is just my opinion of the game . Best feeling since Norwich at home ( again, Rafa only went after them when we were losing, and suddenly we looked miles better because we showed our attacking quality rather than playing conservatively) . I think we can win at Huddersfield if we get after them. And then its pretty much game over 🙂

• Toonces

Feb 28, 2017 at 10:57 PM

Although I would like to see Mbemba given a chance in front of the back 4 as well. there as well. Don’t think Rafa agrees.

• Munster Mag

Feb 28, 2017 at 11:02 PM

Toonces, Rafa wont play Diame and Shelvey together. It lacks the defensiveness he needs, irrespective of the opposition. That of course is perceived as criticism. In fact its just an opinion. I cant see it happening. I’ve probably hurt someones feelings now because its an analysis of rafa that isn’t 100% complimentary 🙂 🙂

• firebug666

Feb 28, 2017 at 11:02 PM

Benitez said: “It was difficult. When you play against a good team and when they have the advantage of the goal from the penalty that wasn’t, it’s always more difficult.

“We had chances at the end of the first half and we started the second half trying to push and trying to control. The risk always could be the counter-attack because they have good pace and movement but we managed it well and still we created chances.

“In the end, we have to be pleased with the team work, with the performance of everyone, players on the pitch, players coming from the bench, everybody was giving everything.

“It’s good to get three points against a very good team but I still have the same feeling that April will be crucial. Coming from behind against a very good team gives a lot of satisfaction.”

Newcastle now head to fellow promotion hopefuls Huddersfield and Reading in their next two games and Benitez said: “It means we have confidence but we know they will be different and dangerous.

“Huddersfield is doing well and Reading is doing well too and after that it’s Fulham and then Birmingham. We know that there’s still a lot of games to play and we have to make sure we continue working as hard as today and with the same confidence but with a lot of respect against some very good teams.”

When asked if this game would grace the Premier League, Benitez said: “I think Chris and I would both sign for sure that we’d like this game to be in the Premier League.”

• Munster Mag

Feb 28, 2017 at 11:03 PM

Toonces, not sure Mbemba is good enough on the ball.

• yorkymag

Feb 28, 2017 at 11:03 PM

30yorkymag // Feb 28, 2017 at 10:57 PM

Munster
    I am not sure you listened to rob Lee and the “Irish guy ” too carefully !!! They were spot on in their analysis re home and away pressure of sjp
    I would respectfully suggest you heard what you wanted to hear
    We got a lucky goal but played really well ,we were the best team and considering we were playing the top team in the division who had a goal start due to a dubious penalty,why would we expect it all our own way
    Rafa pretty much got it spot on ,the players were great never gave up and showed real quality at the end

AND WE WON

Celebrate it

• Australian Pie

Feb 28, 2017 at 11:03 PM

I’m hoping this win drops Brightons heads as well and sends them onto a few quick losses. We beat Huddersfield and suddenly we are running away with the league. Can’t wait for the next few games and to see the lads tear it up. Newcastle the greatest club in the world.

• Our Toon

Feb 28, 2017 at 11:05 PM

Munster

That’s where the squad plays a big part which is why I keep repeating we have the best squad. Brighton faded and dropped deeper, they’ve played the same side for 3 or 4 games in a row. We’ve had the luxury of rotating weekly especially early on in the season which is why I believe we are fresher.

Rafa has done well in terms of that which was always the plan for the 2nd half of the season. Plus look at our bench and look at there’s? The gulf in quality for this division is there for all to see.

Interesting that Rob Lee and Keith Andrews sighted playing in front of big crowds at home as an issue for some of the players as they aren’t used to it, they get nervous which is why results haven’t gone our way at home and why we have the best away record in all English divisions

• Bambams

Feb 28, 2017 at 11:11 PM

The win has glossed over the penalty decision.

If that is the standard…or could I suggest it had more to do with supporting Huddersfield. Stranger things happen !

• Sav

Feb 28, 2017 at 11:22 PM

Rafa is the Chuck Norris of football managers. It is the best team if he says it is. If only for Chris Houghton’s sake, now we have to stuff Huddersfield. Howay the Lads!

• Munster Mag

Feb 28, 2017 at 11:32 PM

Our Toon. I know we have the best squad. That’s why I gave said in the past that hughton was doing proportionally better than Rafa. I think we shud have more points because our squad is a class above. That’s not unreasonable. I think we can attack teams more, and make our quality count more. That doesn’t mean I hate Rafa or want the Toon to lose as jail thinks, the halfwit 🙂

• robertsleftfoot

Mar 1, 2017 at 6:24 AM

Monumental???? We beat Brighton & Hove Albion not Real Madrid.

Lets get a grip people