Newcastle Fans Not Too Confident Of Win At Brighton

It just shows what one game can do.

For the home game on Saturday against Bristol City, who has lost 10 of their previous 13 league games, we had 90% think we would win the game, 6% think we would draw (they were right) and 5% think we would lose the game.

For our next game at table-topping Brighton, it’s about even who think we will lose and who think we will win.

It’s the lowest percentage who think we will win for any game in the league this season.

Rafa Benitez and Chris Hughton on August 27th
Newcastle won the game 2-0

How Will Newcastle Fare At Brighton?

View Results
Loading ... Loading ...

On Saturday we pointed out that if we didn’t win it would be a huge shock – and it certainly was – I still haven’t recovered.

So it’s only right to point out that if we win tonight it will be a surprise if not a huge shock.

Maybe the lads can do it and it’s exactly what we need to get us back on track and on top of the league.

But it will be very tough against an in-form Seagulls side.

What do you think?

• Mister Tuff

Feb 28, 2017 at 4:22 PM

Rafa Bingo lineup.

Darlow
    Yedlin Lascelles Clark Dummett
    Shelvey Colback
    Ritchie Diame Gouffran
    Mitrovic

3 -2 to the Toon.

• hibbit

Feb 28, 2017 at 4:23 PM

martoon
    it would be very interesting if you could put people’s predictions up just to remind ourselves!!!!!!
    very interesting indeed???????????
    PLEASE

• toon kk

Feb 28, 2017 at 4:24 PM

Just takes our team to start playing better and we’ll all be very confident.

• Our Toon

Feb 28, 2017 at 4:30 PM

Toon KK

Think the players will step up today, big game and they’ll rightly be up for it.

Belfast I think I predicted 92pts as well and might have gone with 2nd but not sure…..would be interesting to see what ppl went with especially those that are now telling us this squad isn’t that good and never has been.

Think top scorer I went mitro….what a clanger ahaha. Best player Ritchie of we didn’t sign Diame, both have been good in patches

• Oldgit1

Feb 28, 2017 at 4:42 PM

Iv got no chance of Colback getting the player of the season, so my predictions are right up the swanny. There’s always next year.

• toon kk

Feb 28, 2017 at 4:44 PM

Our toon
    Just wondering why you really rate Mitro? He has definitely had a FEW decent games but on the whole he’s been poor and for a striker doesn’t score many goals.

• toontaff2

Feb 28, 2017 at 5:17 PM

Rafa Bingo lineup:

Darlow
    Yedlin Lascelles Clark Dummett
    Shelvey Diame
    Ritchie Gouffran Atsu
    Murphy

5-1 to the Toon.

• toontaff2

Feb 28, 2017 at 5:19 PM

Other than Mitre that was the finishing 11 v Bristol, I think!

• toontaff2

Feb 28, 2017 at 5:21 PM

Beer in the fridge, been for a run, dog exercised, time to get warmed up with a cool one!

• Our Toon

Feb 28, 2017 at 5:29 PM

Toon KK

I think he will end up being a good striker somewhere. He did very well for anderlecht and has a good record for Serbia. He has a very good reputation in Europe, I’ll admit he’s lost his way here as the weekend was ideal for him as we were crossing the ball.

We don’t rate him here but I have no doubt he’ll do very well for another club that set up to play to his strengths

• Legolas

Feb 28, 2017 at 5:35 PM

Rafa Bingo lineup.

Darlow
    Yedlin Lascelles Clark Dummett
    Shelvey Colback
    Ritchie Diame Gouffran
    Mitrovic

HWTL

• Thump

Feb 28, 2017 at 5:47 PM

@Tsunki: Sorry mate, was off to bed shortly after the comment last night and I’ve been at work all day. For the jist of my opinion you can probably look at Average’s comments.

If you want a more detailed explanation, take a look at the accounts during FFS’s reign and extrapolate from there.

They’re both bar stewards, and the reasons for why are are almost perfectly opposite. One wanted to win at any cost, the other wanted to win but not enough to require investment. (I wonder if HTML works on mobile…)

As for businessmen taking money from the club – of course they’re entitled to do that, just as the Slave Driver is entitled to request those loans be paid back at the next financial year end. The only difference is that one claimed to love the club and bleed black and white, while taking money with the other hand.

Either way, let’s get on with worrying about the match.

I don’t remember who said it (last thread maybe?), but Huddersfield being a much bigger game than Brighton (for promotion) is probably right. But fsck that, I want us to go up as champions.

• AncientC

Feb 28, 2017 at 5:55 PM

Tottenham have a turnover somewhere near 3 times that of Newcastle. Had Shepherd remained at the club, there is no reason why the club wouldn’t have a bigger turnover than Tottenham & less debt. Not to mention the 2 seasons (possibly more to come) wallowing around in the championship. Give me FFS any day.

• Wayayman

Feb 28, 2017 at 5:55 PM

I agree with JackBall that Huddersfield is more important than tonight, but I’d snap your hand off for a draw in all games to be honest.

We miss Hayden as much as Gayle to be honest. Hayden brings an attacking threat to the MF to go alongside reading the game well and his timely interceptions and tackles in a way Colback can only dream of. I’m not bashing Colback, but he’s not in the same class as Hayden. I think Hayden will be a massive player for us in the coming seasons as he’s a young lad still learning.

One question though, Arma is scoring in a Barnsley team not set up for his style. Surely he’s as near to Gayle as we have? No chance of a loan recall then?

• ShirebrookToon

Feb 28, 2017 at 5:58 PM

I feel a bit sick. Really want the lads to put in a performance tonight. Start taking the chances and don’t squander them ffs.

C’MON HWTL!!!!!!!

• Krul To Be Kind

Feb 28, 2017 at 5:59 PM

I think tonight will surprise most of us with a result for this reason…

BRIGHTON are at HOME! They, as the pack leaders will want to open up a gap between us and them and this will allow us to play with less pressure as they will be roared on by a partisan crowd in their back yard. We aren’t the favourites for possibly the first game we have played in this season so it will be interesting to see how the lads express themselves when considered underdogs. This game has more than just 3 points riding on it and I think we might just come away the victors as we won’t be looking to break down the ‘parked bus’ we have came up against for the best part of this season.

I’m as optimistic as ever for tonight’s game, when we beat Brighton at our place they fell apart for a while after with a bad run if memory serves me right, I think it is then and not us that needs to keep an eye over their shoulders for the rampant Huddersfield side coming up on the inside track.

HWTL’s
    HWTF’s

• Bobbybee

Feb 28, 2017 at 6:04 PM

Rafa bingo..

Darlow

Yedders Lascelles Clark Dummett

Shelvey Diame

Ritchie Diame Atsu

Murphy.

0-1

• Krul To Be Kind

Feb 28, 2017 at 6:04 PM

Is the game being broadcast anywhere tonight does anyone know?

• Rotonda heights

Feb 28, 2017 at 6:04 PM

toontaff

haven’t you done that the wrong way round. beer = calories and you will have done all that running and dog walking for nowt!

• Bobbybee

Feb 28, 2017 at 6:09 PM

Krul To Be Kind

I believe the match’s to be shown on sky sports 1 tv

• martoon

Feb 28, 2017 at 6:16 PM

Tsunki 2 98 5 3 Lascelles Mitrovic 18

Hibbitt – I can do that but I’ve a few jobs to do before the match tonight but I will post them one evening when I’ve more time.

• martoon

Yedlin Lascelles Clark Dummett
    Shelvey Colback
    Ritchie Diame Gouffran
    Murphy

• AncientC

Feb 28, 2017 at 6:20 PM

I reckon Anita will get the nod for RB tonight.

• Bobbybee

Feb 28, 2017 at 6:24 PM

Ancient, I think we need Yedders’ pace at right back mate. They’re swift in attack. See ye point, but also going forward, Yedders has been great. Might see Anita in midfield though matey.

• AncientC

Feb 28, 2017 at 6:29 PM

Bobby, I could be wrong on that one. I just think Benitez may look at tweaking the back line as goals are being leaked recently. With Anita fit, it would look to be one of the more obvious switches that can be made.

• Our Toon

Feb 28, 2017 at 6:31 PM

This is what I’d go with tonight

Elliot
    Yedlin, Mbemba, Clark, dummett
    Anita, shelvey
    Ritchie, Diame, Atsu
    Mitro

Don’t think Rafa will though!!

• firebug666

Feb 28, 2017 at 6:32 PM

Lee Ryder?Verified account @lee_ryder 20s21 seconds ago
    Complete sell out tonight at the Amex and there’s a big media presence too with over 130 journalists present. #nufc #bhafc

• Our Toon

Feb 28, 2017 at 6:33 PM

I think Rafa will go with….bingo!!

Darlow
    Anita, lascelles, Clark, dummett
    Colback, shelvey
    Ritchie, Diame, gouffran
    Murphy

• Bobbybee

Feb 28, 2017 at 6:34 PM

Ancient, like I say, I get your point, but I’m not sure the problem is down that flank. Dummett has struggled lately and Lascelles has made judgement errors. I think that’s the problem area. Need to keep it tight tonight though mate, that much is certain. Keep Knockeart quiet and they’re not as good. I can see him switching wings during the game to see where he gets away with his tricks. Looking forward to it, always the optimist! 🙂

• check the toastie

Feb 28, 2017 at 6:34 PM

Colback plays we lose. simple.

hope he doesn’t but Rafa is a stubborn old dog. I honestly believe folk on here overrate our players, most are indifferent and Rafa is doing the best he can with an average bunch.

hope we play well, I imagine Rafa as the master of setting up a team to contain and sneak a result will be making us extra tight, will not be pretty but may get the result we want eh.

• Bobbybee

Feb 28, 2017 at 6:42 PM

Check, this was Rafa’s choice mate, he built the team and he’s confident we’ll go up. Granted Colback has had a couple of poor games lately, which is why I’ve dropped him from my choice, but we normally do well in games where teams play football and this is one. Hope he goes with Atsu again. He played great on Saturday and Gayle would’ve capitalised on those low crosses everybody missed. Shame he’s injured. But with a big striker you need two wingers getting crosses in. Play to your strengths.

• firebug666

Feb 28, 2017 at 6:43 PM

any guesses?

Mark Douglas?Verified account @MsiDouglas 23s23 seconds ago
    Teams in 5 minutes. Understand Rafa is going to spring a surprise tonight:

• Our Toon

Feb 28, 2017 at 6:43 PM

Check toastie

I think the days of over rating players have been and gone, we have a squad that is hands down better than anyone else’s with 2 players per position and more for other areas, that’s not over rating them it’s being realistic.

Is there any club in the championship we’d swap squads with?

• Clematis

Feb 28, 2017 at 6:44 PM

Darl, anita, lasc, clark, dum, shelv, diame, yed, ritcje, atsu, murph

3 nil to us

• CAC

Feb 28, 2017 at 6:45 PM

Agree Toastie. While I think Rafa will probably start Colback and possibly Anita at RB, I’d like to see Yedlin at RB and Anita at DM. I trust Anita’s decision making over Colback.

• CAC

Feb 28, 2017 at 6:45 PM

• Our Toon

Feb 28, 2017 at 6:45 PM

Firebug

I don’t think we’ll play with a recognised striker, that would be a big surprise

• catchy in norway

Feb 28, 2017 at 6:46 PM

if we were playing a bottom team i’d be more worried, i think the fact it’s Brighton helps us. still going to be a tough game though 1 goal will decide it.