Newcastle’s Dramatic 2-1 Win In Pictures

Here are some photographs of last night’s sensational Newcastle 2-1 win at Brighton & Hove Albion in a game that clearly showed Newcastle and Brighton are the best two sides in the Championship.

Credit to both sides and to both sets of fans for putting on a fabulous game.

A fantastic shot of Christian Atsu, Ayoze Perez and Paul Dummett after winner

A good shot of two very good managers before the game

Glenn Murray scores from penalty after 14 minutes

Mo Diame scores – he practices that chip shot every day in training

Ayoze Perez beautifully scores the sensational winner on 89 minutes

Ayoze Perez after scoring winner

Rafa Benitez and players celebrate after the win

Jonjo Shelvey goes crazy after Perez winner

Jonjo Shelvey continues to go crazy

All aboard after Perez winner

DeAndre Yedlin looking for his shirt after the game

Christian Atsu joins the no-shirt brigade

Rafa Benitez continues
celebrating with players

• Ibizatoon

Mar 1, 2017 at 3:03 PM

Not sure how “dramatic” the pictures are…the game was though 🙂

The one of Shelvey and Bruno makes me smile.

• Blackley and Brownlie

Mar 1, 2017 at 3:09 PM

Ibiza
    It’s simply that Rafa has to shoulder some blame for his tactics. Some people have him as some tactical genius. Some would even say you’re wrong to criticise any aspect. Poor first half performance against Bristol City. Good second half. 2-2 home draw against lowly team. Rafa must shoulder some responsibility.

• Ron Knee

Mar 1, 2017 at 3:09 PM

Would have happily settled for a 1-1 draw at half-time!

• Ibizatoon

Mar 1, 2017 at 3:16 PM

Blackley…If it’s alright, i’d like to not confuse the issue. I accept there are some who don’t want any criticism of Rafa (Bobby, I’m not including you in that…at ease solider).

On the idea of 2-2 against Bristol City, I agree, something clearly didn’t work in the overall game plan. We weren’t planning on a home draw, surely.

However, you made a point about Rafa in the first half. Are you saying it was his tactics that resulted in us being 2-0 down at HT, or was it his motivation of the players prior to kick off

Likewise, the start of last nights game. What did Rafa do differently from kickoff to after the penalty? Is it not fair to say that the main responsibility is the players?

Of course, as manager, he is ultimately responsible.

• MadisonToon

Mar 1, 2017 at 3:18 PM

BandB

The thing about placing blame on Rafa for tactics or lineups is that there is not way to know that different tactics would have resulted in better results. Sure, we can say from our seats, “well, Mitro/Gayle/Murphy would have buried that chance, I can’t believe they aren’t playing, this was a bad lineup and bad tactics” but that’s a naive way of looking at it. With other people in the lineup, other tactical setups, games would be entirely different, so saying that we *should* have done something different and it *would* have been a better move is a statement that’s easy to make but impossible to verify.

Yeah, I don’t agree with everything he does or every decision he makes (but in hindsight, I disagree with many of my own decisions), but looking at the season’s results, he’s doing the right things.

• sparky55

Mar 1, 2017 at 3:23 PM

Just got back…great night, great win, brilliant atmosphere…the fans were brilliant yet again but how we won that game god only knows.!!!..but a brilliant win regardless and sets us up brilliantly for Huddersfield.

I forecasted 7 points from the three away games and we’re already 2 points ahead of where I thought I’d be!

Great night and don’t care what anyone thinks about Rafa’s alleged failings…the man’s doing a great job and guiding us to the promised land

• beefman13

Mar 1, 2017 at 3:25 PM

Of course u miss your top scorer, but u have to give him supply all the same, Shelvey is so important to this team at the moment, if he’s not there we have literally zero creativity, it’s without a doubt a worry, our midfield just looks piss weak without him.

• Toonces

Mar 1, 2017 at 3:28 PM

I think another good change, touched on also by a few, was just around the time of the subs, ritchie and atsu switched wings. Ritchie works better on the right with yedlin overlapping with him. Ritchie can’t beat a man but yedlin certainly can and ritchie is smart in how he uses the overlap to create space for himself. He also tracks back to help cover for yedlin’s forward runs. Atsu works better on the right with dummett because he has the pace to beat his man and doesn’t need the overlap. Dummett, who can actually run quite fast, doesn’t seem comfortable overlapping. He is more comfortable in his defensive duties and is clearly nervous when pushing forward. So Atsu in front of dummett is a good pair on the left and Ritchie on the right with overlapping by Yedlin balances the wings better. Not sure I explained my observation very well but hopefully you all can get the gist.

• Mister Tuff

Mar 1, 2017 at 3:29 PM

Seems to be some handbags at the moment.
    You boys need to chill.
    Perhaps some breathing exercises — after me—
    Breath in and hold
    Slowly exhale
    Breath in and hold
    Slowly exhale…………….. and repeat 50 times.

• JackBall

Mar 1, 2017 at 3:32 PM

I’m breathing easier, at least until Saturday. Looking forward to the next game, but still loving last night so much, watched again today.

• Australian Pie

Mar 1, 2017 at 3:37 PM

I cannot believe we are still arguing about Rafa and his choices. We are undefeated this year, sitting top of the league and just beat our nearest rival.

OF COURSE HE ISN’T PERFECT, neither is Conte, Mourinho, Wenger, Guardiola, Ferguson……

He is the best manager we have had in recent history and probably the best we will have in the near future, so instead of criticising his small mistakes, CELEBRATE HIS MANY MANY CORRECT DECISIONS & ACTIONS.

Why is this so difficult for fans to do? I can guarantee you will have a much better time supporting our club if you celebrate the positives and throw the negatives out the window. Once the negatives outweigh the positives then justifiably get stuck in (e.g. with McClaren etc.)

• Moonraker15

Mar 1, 2017 at 3:43 PM

Just logged on and cant believe that some are commenting on Rafa’s good and bad points. FFS we’ve just had a fantastic win against the biggest rivals this season! Just enjoy it; we were fantastic last night, and won AS I PREDICTED !!!

• Australian Pie

Mar 1, 2017 at 3:56 PM

Well said Moonraker15 =] I also predicted a win 1-0 with a “Diame Bomb” I was almost right =D I bet anyone criticising Rafa and the team voted that we would lose.

• Blackley and Brownlie

Mar 1, 2017 at 3:58 PM

Yeah, bye Bobby

I agree with Madison It’s impossible to verify one way or the other. It’s about opinions. Many fans weren’t happy with the lack of a player who could put the ball in the net; a striker who could lead the line and provide shape and focus. They were therefore imploring Rafa to change it as time ticked away. Rafa did change it very late. When he did, it had the desired effecr. No guarantee we’d score but looked far more encouraging. The fact we won does not mean the timing was necessarily right, as Bobby claims. One goal was a fluke. The other was in the nick of time.

But according to Bobby, Rafa is the tactical genius. The fans were wrong and shouldn’t be ready to criticise such a great manager. The fact our home form hasn’t been great is neither here nor there.

What Bobby seems to miss about Rafa, and is one of the many things I most admire about him, is that Rafa will be the first to admit that he gets tactics wrong. If someone said to him, “You got a bit lucky there Rafa. You left it a bit late.”, it is just like him to say “Yes. Perhaps I should have made the substitutions a little earlier as it had a good effect on the game. We got a bit lucky.”

I just don’t get this mentality that Rafa is a genius. Even Rafa wouldn’t say that about himself. Not because he’s modest, which he is. But because he doesn’t believe it.

People think if the fans criticise Rafa, we’ll push him out if the door because we’re not grateful enough. Utter bunkum. Rafa understands fans’ criticisms.

• hibbit

Mar 1, 2017 at 3:58 PM

so many on just cant enjoy anything without a moan we beat brighton got the 3 points unbeaten this year top of the league just don’t know how you can call yourselfs a newcastle fan and not be enjoying the win last night no matter how it came
    never a pen
    lucky goal
    great goal
    3 points

victor meldem doesn’t have a lookin with some of you lot
    must have spoiled your night us winning

• WWSBRD

Mar 1, 2017 at 4:14 PM

hibbit
    Here here

For me that’s up there with the Norwich win earlier in the season for how important it is and how it unfolded

But tbh people keep complaining and Rafa keeps winning so that’ll do for me

• Blackley and Brownlie

Mar 1, 2017 at 4:18 PM

Ibiza
    On the Bristol City game, you could say it was another example of how we often start games poorly. You could say Rafa backed the wrong man in Mitro. You could point o any number of reasons why we got a disappointing result at home to a side we should be beating. All I’m saying is that Rafa must shoulder some responsibility. I cannot be on with the smoke that’s blown up Rafa’s arse to the extent that he’s a genius and we are too lowly to express an opinion that he should have done something differently. It’s ruled even further out of bounds if we win. People complaining at 1-0 down are somehow game to be criticised after we won 2-1; with one fluky goal and the other in the nick of time.

• ShirebrookToon

Mar 1, 2017 at 4:24 PM

Well said Hibbit!

• hibbit

Mar 1, 2017 at 4:35 PM

Blackley and Brownlie

sorry mate a wins a win no matter how it comes

• Rotonda heights

Mar 1, 2017 at 4:52 PM

B&B

it would be nice to give the guy some respect and not keep putting our wins down as some sort of fluke. As someone once said the harder I work, the luckier i get.

Rafa’s record suggests he’s won and done too much to just be lucky so yes I would say tactical genius in his case.

Right call on subs again last night. many might have played it safe.

• Rotonda heights

Mar 1, 2017 at 4:54 PM

B+B

I guess rafa made darlow do that howler and mitro miss so many chances.

• Rotonda heights

Mar 1, 2017 at 4:57 PM

B+B

if only there was a truly genuine grievance you could harp on and be as miserable to your heart’s content about.

Last time i looked top of the league, top scorers, fewest conceded and gayle missing for weeks.

• iKeyaGaming

Mar 1, 2017 at 4:59 PM

Anyone who didn’t enjoy last night’s win and come back are unfortunately mackems ha-ha!

• Munster Mag

Mar 1, 2017 at 5:00 PM

Bobby, you know I have a lot of respect for you, but your answers to B+B just seem aggressive and dismissive. Jail has decided I hate Rafa, which is nonsense. I think he’s doing a very good job. Personally I think we could be doing better. That doesn’t mean I’m ungrateful or hate him. Look, why can a fan like me ( or B+B) who loves NUFC and has done so, not criticise the manager – whilst being pleased we are doing well. For what its worth, these are some of my thoughts:

– Like Rob Lee and other journos I have read today ( eg Sam Wallace) , I don’t think we were great last night. I dodt think we could have complained about 1-1
    – Our first goal was a fluke
    -They had lots of chances – Darlow made Team of the week.
    -We had more possession, but crikey we spent most of it in our half
    -I think we have easily the best squad in this league, and we should be further ahead.
    -I think we would be further ahead if Rafa encouraged more attack, instead of control.
    – So when we needed goals v Bristol , we got them because we attacked hard. Same with Norwich at home
    -I agree that Rafa has no place for Arma , unless he dramatically improves
    -How can we call him a tactical genius last night when his second sun was only brought on after 89 mins??
    – Rafa has done a brill job on communication, injuries and is doing really well -I just think we could be a few points better off now

Now FFS is it ok to debate these issues and have an opinion, or is it that to question Rafa means execution by guys who are so desperate for a hero, that a long time fan cant make a differing opinion. I’m not saying that u by the way Bobby

To repeat – Rafa is a great guy – but lets not make him a criticism free zone eh ?? And yes, I;m grateful we have him.

• Blackley and Brownlie

Mar 1, 2017 at 5:00 PM

Hibbitt
    Nobody’s saying we’re not enjoying the win. Where do you get this from?

Some bloggers were imploring Rafa to make subs. They were getting increasingly anxious as the clock was ticking down and could not see the starting XI making the breakthrough. Fair comment I think.

Then the subs are made – eventually – and we look more likely with it. We get one fluky one and one in the nick of time. So that means the fans were wrong and they don’t understand the art of substitutions. Rafa is the tactical genius. Woe betide any dickheads who don’t pay homage to Rafa the messiah and who fail to thrash themselves for their own foolishness.

Are we allowed a comeback without being called dickheads or moaners or blasphemers?

• Oldgit1

Mar 1, 2017 at 5:02 PM

B&B Rafa sets up his team to tire out the opposition, this he did yesterday. He brought on the subs exactly at the right time as the result showed, surely you can see that.
    I would willing blow smoke up his arse if it means him staying with us. Think back to our last three managers and rejoice that we have the very best manager and I for one am proud to call him the manager of NUFC.
    Stop being a sourpuss, lighten up and enjoy the ride.

• Blackley and Brownlie

Mar 1, 2017 at 5:10 PM

Hibbit
    Yeah, a wins a win. Yeah, we’re all delighted. But it doesn’t mean we can’t have a critical opinion on the performance, either during or after the game.

Because that win is not the end of the story. There’s the next game very soon. Rafa gives his opinions. Rafa criticises himself from time to time. Even in victory. I just don’t see the problem. I certainly don’t see the need for Bobby’s invective just because someone doesn’t agree that the result shows how great was the timing of Rafa’s substitutions.

• Oldgit1

Mar 1, 2017 at 5:12 PM

Had a great few days of football, Newcastle vs Bristol., under 18s, spennymoor vs Blythe Spartans, and see my grandson play for Byers green. The joys of being retired. Shame I missed the under 23s but wife needed shopping. Now going to settle down and watch the Newcastle vs brighten again. People said I would be bored after retiring, how wrong they can be.

• Mister Tuff

Mar 1, 2017 at 5:16 PM

My two bobs’ worth.
    Currently Rafa is doing an excellent job in getting us top of the league.
    Seems to have sorted a lot of the behind the scenes stuff out -disputes with papers etc etc.
    Is he the best manager we’ve had for many a year – undoubtedly – YES.
    Is he perfect and without mistakes – of course he isn’t.
    Can he be criticised of course he can.
    As for some who would say that he shites gold bars it is a bit gut churning to say the least.
    I recall some on here who come out with shite like Rafa knows this Rafa knows that Rafa thinks this etc etc were giving it large in a very similar manner (although not as much pronounced) about King Percy and Wally Brolly. Gobshites.

If we get promoted should he be lifted upon everyones shoulders – of course he should – he would be a local hero.

• Munster Mag

Mar 1, 2017 at 5:24 PM

Tuff, agree with that. All I’m asking for is fairness in analysis. Geordies are so desperate for a hero that rafa can do no wrong ever. Bonkers stuff

• hibbit

Mar 1, 2017 at 5:28 PM

Blackley and Brownlie
    only post 19 addressed to you !!!

i know by our past discussions you love your football but some folk on here are way over the top i get the points your trying to make along with Muster
    we have possibly lost a point or two though Rafa’s substitution policy but who can say he was right or wrong last night the timing seems to have been perfect judging by the result

just as you and Munster lump all the pro Rafa bloggers together
    unfortunately for you and Munster you are now being
    classed as the anti Rafa after every game its Rafa should have done this Rafa should have done that but unfortunately for you the table tells a different story