There Could Be More Good News For Newcastle This Week

We hope that Dwight Gayle has regained his confidence that his hamstring has in fact fully healed and that he can have the right attitude to play in the game against the Terriers on Saturday afternoon – and there’s no doubt that game will be just as hard as at Brighton last night.

In fact Huddersfield overwhelmed Brighton 3-1 on 2nd February and the Seagulls were comprehensively beaten in that game.

It’s also a great chance to put 3 points between us and the 3rd placed side with 12 games still to play for the Magpies.

Dwight Gayle – back for Huddersfield game?

So it would help a lot of Dwight Gayle can come back soon.

Rafa has given an update on Dwight as reported in the Shields Gazette today and the manager was asked if the 20 goal man will be available for the Huddersfield game:

“We will see.” “He will train Wednesday.” “We will see how he feels. After, we will decide. It depends more on his feelings.”

So that doesn’t seems to have changed much from last week when it was basically up to Dwight if he was part of the squad last Saturday or last night.

The good news is when he did play against Aston Villa on Monday 20th February – a week last Monday – he did no further damage his hamstring and the scans were clean after the game – just as they were before he played.

So that should give the 26 year-old some confidence and it’s a case of mind over matter now for the 20 goal striker.

And Dwight was happy the lads produced an incredible result at the Amex Stadium last night which took us one step closer to promotion.

From now on every win we get will take us closer to that automatic promotion slot.

And also a tweet from one of our other injured players on the game last night – Isaac Hayden.

Issac had ankle surgery and was ruled out for four weeks on February 17th, so he should be back in training in about three weeks around 20th March.

And with Rolando Aarons coming back too, it could be that all our squad will be fit after the International break on 1st April.

That will help us during the important 8 games left from April Fools Day –  with five of those games being at home – normally that would be good.

8 wins should do it!

• WWSBRD

Mar 1, 2017 at 9:11 PM

Gayle needs to get back soon just so he can hit 30 goals this season be cracking to see him put Huddersfield to the sword though

I reckon they will be a good match but we are certainly capable of picking them off, Shelveys passing and vision will hurt them

• toon kk

Mar 1, 2017 at 9:15 PM

Gayle needs more time, the last ten minutes for a couple of games.

• WWSBRD

Mar 1, 2017 at 9:17 PM

toon kk
    Whys that?

• ShirebrookToon

Mar 1, 2017 at 9:20 PM

Brilliant bit of football by City there! 4-1

• toon kk

Mar 1, 2017 at 9:21 PM

WWSBRD
    He certainly won’t be match fit yet, he needs to be brought back slowly or he’ll end up out for the rest of the season.

• Blackley and Brownlie

Mar 1, 2017 at 9:25 PM

Hudds deserve that. I’ve no sympathy for any club that prefers the league and puts out a weakened team in the cup.

• WWSBRD

Mar 1, 2017 at 9:26 PM

toon kk
    If the physio says hes fit and both him and Rafa/coaches are confident let him play

That Garcia at City is decent isnt he

• ShirebrookToon

Mar 1, 2017 at 9:28 PM

Clubs should be fined for playing a weakened side in cup games. It’s not like they’re trying to lose or anything!

• ShirebrookToon

Mar 1, 2017 at 9:30 PM

WW

You stole those words right off my keyboard about Garcia Lol

• ShirebrookToon

Mar 1, 2017 at 9:31 PM

Wagner on his hands free. Must be ordering a curry for later

• JamesToon

Mar 1, 2017 at 9:37 PM

Is there anyone huddersfield are missing for the game on Saturday or will they have pretty much full strength?

• WWSBRD

Mar 1, 2017 at 9:37 PM

Shirebrook
    Haha looks good doesnt he wonder if Rafa could get a word in his ear haha him and Iheanacho

• toon kk

Mar 1, 2017 at 9:38 PM

WWSBRD
    I’m all for Gayle coming back if he’s fit, just think he should be used as a sub for a few games. He was supposed to be fit Last time but soon had a recurrence of his injury.

Good game tonight, certainly a lot of pace on show. Huddersfield haven’t disgraced themselves they’ve given it ago they’ve just come up a quick quality city side and played into there hands by being so open.

• Blackley and Brownlie

Mar 1, 2017 at 9:39 PM

Jamestoon
    Hudds are missing Kachunga, Mooy, Wells, Brown … All clever players. And Schindler, Smith, Lowe, Hefele … All done well at the back this season.

• WWSBRD

Mar 1, 2017 at 9:39 PM

I still like Delph as well real terrier

Annnnd its 5

• ShirebrookToon

Mar 1, 2017 at 9:39 PM

WW

I hate you, I was gonna mention him aswell lmao

• Blackley and Brownlie

Mar 1, 2017 at 9:40 PM

I expect them to be available.

• WWSBRD

Mar 1, 2017 at 9:43 PM

toon kk
    He could of played the last 10 minutes of the game he came back in and still suffered the same mate. I dunno am always leaning towards the side of if hes fit enough for the bench then he should be fit enough to start and Rafa is very careful with injuries

• Blackley and Brownlie

Mar 1, 2017 at 9:43 PM

I understand Wells is a doubt.

• Fostino

Mar 1, 2017 at 9:45 PM

Felt great all day about the win ladt might. Hats off to the fans who made the trip. A lot of respect for that.

I felt murphy made huge difference when he came on. Deserves a start or involvement from bench on sat. Bitterly dusapointed with Diame performance again. I know his goal turned the game but he has been a very poor mans sissoko. Anyone agree? Think time is up for mitro and mbemba too. Just didn’t deliver.

• WWSBRD

Mar 1, 2017 at 9:45 PM

Shirebrook
    Haha same wave length mate haha doubt City would let either to be transfered out but u never know on a loan deal

• Bobbybee

Mar 1, 2017 at 9:50 PM

Here ye go Blackers, patronising is giving a man who’s team got thumped 5-1 motm 🙂 Getting a bit personal there eh? Lmao! Should know you’re wasting your time. You do realise I was having a giggle with you? Some people just don’t get my sense of humour. You walked into that mate, you should know better. 🙂
    Anyway, City looking a bit tasty tonight eh? If they’re ‘a shyte Man Utd’ you wouldn’t want to play a good Man Utd would ye? Very Slick passing and a pleasure to watch. Pity City fans, don’t see it that way, another poor turn out.

• WWSBRD

Mar 1, 2017 at 9:55 PM

Wagner is very Klopp schooled isnt he? That team could well struggle for fitness during the fixture pile up that’s coming

• Mister Tuff

Mar 1, 2017 at 9:56 PM

Really all these cup competitions in this era are brought into disrepute when other interests are perceived as being more important.
    Might as well just let the top 10 in the PL fight it out.
    Tonight as soon as Wagner played his reserves it made the game worthless really.
    He made the correct decision – keep his first team back to play us on Saturday – thus enhancing his promotion chances and the big money.
    Devalues the cups though – money more than glory now.

• Bobbybee

Mar 1, 2017 at 9:57 PM

Going to be an interesting game Saturday. Huddersfield like to play an open game and that could play into our hands. Always play better when we play a footballing team. Open is one thing, but thought they were downright reckless tonight. Still, Wagner plays that way regardless of personal so should be good either way.
    Fostino, not sure Murphy is a 90 minute man. He tired quickly last time out, but Rafa will decide that. Certainly a good impact sub though. He might well start with The Gouff again, or maybe Mitro and unleash Big Murph later on. Or vice versa.

• Blackley and Brownlie

Mar 1, 2017 at 9:58 PM

Aye Bobby. No hard feelings fella.

• Bobbybee

Mar 1, 2017 at 10:01 PM

Mr Tuff, shame innit? Used to love the cup when I was a kid, but then that was one of a very few live games on TV. Started in the morning of the cup final and went right through the day. Magic. Maybe need to bang the prize money up to make it worthwhile.

• Blackley and Brownlie

Mar 1, 2017 at 10:02 PM

I’m looking firward to the Hudds v Brighton gane next Tuesday. Someone’s going to lose points. Hoping it’s Brighton.

• Bobbybee

Mar 1, 2017 at 10:05 PM

B&B, never have mate 🙂 Love a good discussion though, wakes the grey cells up. To be honest, I wanted him to make a sub earlier myself, but you can’t knock him when what he does works so well. If we hadn’t won it would’ve been different and he would rightly have got criticised, but he just seems to keep getting his timing right. Amazing really. Still think we should’ve kept Arma back though! 😉

• Bobbybee

Mar 1, 2017 at 10:09 PM

There’s some really good games in a row in the Championship just now. I can see everybody losing some points through this period, but I said I’d take five or six from these three games and we’re halfway there already. Anything else is a bonus, anything less is hardly a disaster.

• JackBall

Mar 1, 2017 at 10:15 PM

Was wondering if they allowed more subs in the cup games, teams might field a stringer squad at least at the beginning, or go for it more at the end.

Bobby, funny how after all the handshakes you admitted you wanted the subs earlier. I know that does not change the friendly argument, but made me laugh thinking how everyone on this blog must have been screaming at the tv in the 60 something minute for a change.

• Lindisfarne

Mar 1, 2017 at 10:15 PM

I don’t know if it was just because the City lads are small, but Huddersfield seem to have quite a few units playing for them.

• Charlie in the Gallowgate

Mar 1, 2017 at 10:18 PM

B&B
    Huddersfield ain’t got Brighton next Tuesday
    their next 4 fixtures are…
    Huddersfield Town v Newcastle United Sat 4 Mar 17:30
    Huddersfield Town v Aston Villa Tue 7 Mar 19:45
    Brentford v Huddersfield Town Sat 11 Mar 15:00
    Bristol City v Huddersfield Town Fri 17 Mar 19:45

with Wolves away to be re-arranged

What I saw of Huddersfield (reserves) tonight we are going to have our work cut out – thought they played well and play high pressing game so our defence will be under pressure – but playing a pressing game can leave holes at the back which the TOON could exploit if up to their game.

Ganna be tuff

• Mister Tuff

Mar 1, 2017 at 10:35 PM

Bobbybee – unfortunately those running the cups will have to put more money in. It is the only thing they can do.
    Now there are conflicting interests and money wins every time.
    Winning a cup now does not have the same cudos as years ago.

• Moonraker15

Mar 1, 2017 at 10:43 PM

6 more wins gives us 91 points plus any draws we pick up. This means Huddersfield would have to win 9 games out of 13 plus whatever draws we get to get above us!
    Don’t think they can do that!

• Moonraker15

Mar 1, 2017 at 10:48 PM

Charlie
    I said we would beat Brighton and I say now we will beat Huddersfield. The spirit those Lads showed last night made me proud to be a Newcastle supporter and I think our stock went up 100%. Every team will now fear us and our Lads will be expecting to win every game.

• Blackley and Brownlie

Mar 1, 2017 at 11:01 PM

Charlie
    Haha. Good point. I’ve got Villa in my mobile planner too. It’s not unkown for me to turn up at SJP, sit watching the game and then realise after 10 minutes we’re not playing the team I thought we were; it’s some other team with the same colours. It gets a bit confusing trying to track 18s, 23s and first teams of different clubs, as well as local youth football. Truth is I don’t pay much attention during the week. Just turn up on the day. I once turned up late for a game at SJP against Chelsea. I thought it was a 3pm k.o. when it was 1.30. I was walking up Grainger Street about 1.35pm when I was puzzled on hearing the roar of the crowd. I forgot a NUFC game was on the other week and didn’t even realise when I saw my neighbour, a first teamer, heading off. It was only when my son was getting ready that the penny dropped.

• Blackley and Brownlie

Mar 1, 2017 at 11:05 PM

Charlie
    Huddersfield overplay too often. They can get caught in possession. But they play a lot of good flowing, exciting stuff at home for the most part and they work very hard throughout.

• Munster Mag

Mar 1, 2017 at 11:41 PM

I don’t think Huddersfield will beat us. Maybe 2-2. Bobby I’m glad u said u wanted Rafa to make subs earlier. It’s not as if gouffran was top of his game. People who think fans like me who are sometimes critical of Rafa, didn’t enjoy that, are just off their heads. We had luck, but who cares. That and Norwich were the moments of the season. I even woke up my 11 yr old to tell her! 🙂

• Jail for Ashley

Mar 2, 2017 at 7:32 AM

Sometimes critical, you haven’t stopped slagging him since he got here man, I’ve never once said he is above criticism, search my posts, I definitely think he deserves more slack than the last three patsies though and will say more on the matter later.