Newcastle Fans Remain In Awe Of This Man

I’ve been banned from talking to my wife Madeline about Rafa Benitez.

Such is the price one has to pay in domestic life when we have a manager that’s as good as Rafa is.

It seems Madeline’s just sick of hearing me describe how good Rafa is.

Yes I know – it’s all very strange – I don’t understand it either.

🙂

Rafa Benitez – Newcastle manager

The Newcastle fans are simply in love with the man – especially after he orchestrated the win against Brighton & Hove Albion on Tuesday night and we’ve never seen Rafa so agitated and unhappy on the touchline.

But he and his Newcastle players got the job done – that’s what matters – it was simply a massive win.

If we win at Huddersfield on Saturday afternoon I must remember to put some sticky tape across my mouth and then try to keep quiet.

It could be difficult.

Here are some tweets about him after the massive win on Tuesday night.

• ShirebrookToon

Mar 2, 2017 at 9:17 AM

Let’s not get ahead of ourselves now, focus on the task in hand, working towards getting a result against Huddersfield!!

• Jail for Ashley

Mar 2, 2017 at 9:18 AM

”The Newcastle fans are simply in love with the man” Not all though.

• toontaff2

Mar 2, 2017 at 9:20 AM

Watch oot, ED!
    You’ll be accused of’ blowing smoke up RAFA’s arse!!!’
    😯 🙄

• ShirebrookToon

Mar 2, 2017 at 9:21 AM

How can you not love Rafa? Some people are hard to please!

• toontaff2

Mar 2, 2017 at 9:21 AM

Some fans are still in love with Percy and Wally!
    😀

• toontaff2

Mar 2, 2017 at 9:26 AM

What I can say is that RAFA will have a plan to beat ‘Udders, which may take the full 90+ minutes, again.
    And there will be another meltdoon here, during the game! Eating my half-time pizza, avoiding spilling my beer whilst screaming at the TV, means I could not manage using the laptop. I cannot multi-task, like the females of the species! Thankfully, reading back over some of the posts!

• sparky55

Mar 2, 2017 at 9:28 AM

That smoking room is full to the brim mate.

IMO he’s doing a decent job but Houghton’s success in getting us straight back up 7 years ago should go down in history as a far greater success story because he didn’t have the budget Rafa has and in real terms Rafa has much more managerial experience to call on than Houghton did at that stage in his career.

Maximum respect for Houghton….a decent level of respect for Rafa…the big plus for us being Rafa has a raft of Premiership experience to call on when we go up and it’s then we should see the best of him

fingers crossed! 🙂

• Jail for Ashley

Mar 2, 2017 at 9:32 AM

sparky,
    Can’t compare it really, we weren’t a completely broken and lifeless club back then and Ashley was still an unknown entity who we thought was going to sell, their achievements shouldn’t be judged together.

• toontaff2

Mar 2, 2017 at 9:35 AM

I bet no one got the Bingo, on Tuesday! I got 10/11 but went for : Darlow
    Yedlin Lascelles Clark Dummett
    Shelvey Diame
    Ritchie Gouffran Atsu
    Murphy
    with Gouffy at 10. Will be interesting Saturday, whether RAFA thinks Murph can last if he starts, whether supersub Ayoze gets longer and of course, if Gayle is fit. Diame certainly looks more comfortable in the midfield.

• toontaff2

Mar 2, 2017 at 9:40 AM

I think ‘Udders have all the pressure, now.
    At home, 8 points behind us, 6 behind Brighton, means they cannot afford to drop points.
    We certainly play better when the opposition are not parking the bus.

• WWSBRD

Mar 2, 2017 at 9:56 AM

The championship is a harder league now thsn it was for Hoots tbf and he also had experienced players willing to step up (Harper Nolan Barton Smith). Not taking anything away from him because it was an amazing job he did but its hard to compare the situations

Both brilliant jobs for me

• hibbit

Mar 2, 2017 at 9:58 AM

ShirebrookToon
    some folk on here are just born moaners never happy even when we win they always find something to moan about can’t just enjoy the moment
    always think they know best Rafa should have done this Rafa should have done that
    well the league table doesn’t lie and Rafa has us on top of it

• sparky55

Mar 2, 2017 at 10:00 AM

Morning jail

We could debate this one til the cows come home but just saying I have a huge amount of respect for what Houghton achieved and a little bit of me is saying perhaps Rafa should be taking this a bit more in his stride than he has.

No slagging the bloke off by any means…just thought we’d be doing A BIT better than we are…and fair play to Brighton…We’ve never been able to shake them off all season…until Tuesday of course!

• Bobbybee

Mar 2, 2017 at 10:03 AM

I’m with jail on this, I don’t think you can compare the two and both did a great job. There definitely wasn’t the quality back then, nor the money. Huddersfield fielded a decent second string last night and nobody had a strong second string last time down. We can field two very good teams and so can other clubs. Nobody spent the seventy odd million Villa have either. Different leagues, different qualities.

• hibbit

Mar 2, 2017 at 10:05 AM

sparky55
    did you really think the championship was that poor we would just stroll it ?????

• Bobbybee

Mar 2, 2017 at 10:06 AM

Sparky, better than top… That takes some doing! 🙂

• WWSBRD

Mar 2, 2017 at 10:07 AM

I dont get the idea Rafa is under performing either tbh, if not for the completely unexpected form of Huddersfield we’d have 1 real opponent who we’ve out played twice and taken 6 points from

• sparky55

Mar 2, 2017 at 10:14 AM

Hibbit

Going back through what I said I don’t see saying we’d stroll it, and in my pre season prediction I have newcastle coming second… so I wasn’t with the fairies suggesting we’d p!ss it in any way shape or form…and I still think we’ll come second.

We’ve just come through a series of disappointing results and all I’m saying is I thought we’d be ahead of where we are irrespective of what everyone is doing.

Hope that’s clear

• Bobbybee

Mar 2, 2017 at 10:18 AM

Rafa shows his quality repeatedly. As I was saying, we can shout for subs all we want, but he subs when he feels it’s right and regardless of what anybody says, he gets it right. It’s not luck. His game plan is 90 minutes and his experience tells him when to make his move. How many others would have taken the draw? Hoots did, he wanted to keep what he had. Rafa brought on Perez, who in fairness has had a shocking season, and lo and behold, he gets the winner! He does it too many times for it to be luck. I can’t remember a better tactician if I’m brutally honest. Keegan was great, but gung ho! Sir Bobby was, well, Bobby and a great man manager, but Rafa is a different league tactically. Just my opinion obviously. We all like to think we know better, but the reality is he gets it right so many times. That’s not me blowing smoke up his arse either! 🙂 That’s me admiring what he’s done so far.

• Bobbybee

Mar 2, 2017 at 10:23 AM

We’re unbeaten in the last seven games since losing in the cup. Not sure that classes as disappointing.

• G

Mar 2, 2017 at 10:27 AM

I think my early prediction for this season was 2nd to Norwich? Shows what I know then.

• Munster Mag

Mar 2, 2017 at 10:28 AM

From Jail ….Of course we wanted subs earlier, I was shouting at the telly, Howay Rafa man stop being so stubborn. And using the fact that we didn’t absolutely batter the league leaders and only team with a better defensive record than ourselves as a stick to beat the manager with is just plain ridiculous.”

I didn’t expect us to “absolutely batter” Brighton Jail.

Who is putting words in mouths now??

Bobby, I think Rafa is a really good manager, but the fawning from Ed is laughable. Its as though we beat Barcelona, not Brighton? As for Perez, surely if Rafa was so inspired , he would have given him more that 1 min ? I think what was really inspired was the pass, and the control by Atsu. Re Rafa, I’m delighted to have him. But why is he above criticism , always ??? Were Man U fan allowed to criticise Fergie when they were winning the league, and still respect him and want him at the club just like I respect Rafa?

• Munster Mag

Mar 2, 2017 at 10:31 AM

Bobby, did I say I was disappointed? I’d be disappointed if we were in 3rd, not first. I’m delighted. Blokes who listen to NUFC v Bastia on their transistor radios in Ireland ages about 10 do love the club you know!

• Rotonda heights

Mar 2, 2017 at 10:38 AM

Ed

Sadly we’ve got some sad, deluded rafa neggars on here who think they know and could do better than him.

top of the league, top scorers, least conceded, no gayle for weeks, but no, not good enough for some very challenged and odd folks.

• sparky55

Mar 2, 2017 at 10:40 AM

Bobbybee

How many of those were draws and how many any against clubs currently in the bottom half of the league who on form would suggest we should have done better.

No-one has been more vocal on this blog than me when saying we have to believe in Rafa and he’ll get the job done…I think it’s brilliant he’s here and we think we’re very lucky to have him.

We’re top because

a) we’re doing well
    b) we’ve beaten Brighton twice
    c) Everyone beneath us are beating each other.

but we’re not doing as well as we should against the clubs in the bottom half of the league

That’s all I’m saying…but if we continue to beat everyone in the top half of the league at this stage of the season then we have absolutely nothing got worry…and for the avoidance of doubt I’m not worried and never have been…please see all my posts since the season began!!!! 🙂 🙂

• Bobbybee

Mar 2, 2017 at 10:45 AM

Munster, chill out mate. Sparky said we’ve just come off a run of disappointing results and I said unbeaten in seven is hardly disappointing. I wasn’t talking to you marra! 🙂
    Of course we haven’t beaten Barca mate, but you seem to forget we’re a Championship club and no better. I think people still see us as a PL team and we ain’t. We’re no different from Burton and Barnsley – that’s the league we’re in mate because we weren’t good enough for the PL. Villa have spent over seventy million and look at them. Being a big club doesn’t mean we should be playing Barca, we have to earn that right all over again. Beating Brighton, who were top of the table, is as good as it gets in this league. We’re not a top team anymore and you have to reduce your expectations accordingly. Even Rafa couldn’t attract the players he wanted this season because players won’t drop a division – not even for us. We’re a Championship club this season and that sadly makes us nothing special to everybody except us.

• Rotonda heights

Mar 2, 2017 at 10:46 AM

munster

no one is above criticism, but a bit of balance would be nice. if you ever say anything remotely pleasant, even that is always back handed.

• jimmysmith

Mar 2, 2017 at 10:49 AM

The whole move was top notch, including the finish.

• Australian Pie

Mar 2, 2017 at 10:50 AM

Pick your time to criticise, beating the league leaders to go top of the league is not the time.

• Munster Mag

Mar 2, 2017 at 10:53 AM

Here’s a bunch of stuff I think re Rafa and maybe that will clear things up

– Has improved the club hugely , especially re medical issues
    – Became a link to the fans and got us all warm again when we were used to newspaper bans and McCardew nonsense
    – Has some significant advantages over other clubs and managers re players purchased, stadium, fan numbers
    – Brilliant away record, probably because he preached control first
    – Ok home record ( given 52000 fans etc) , possibly because he hasn’t attacked teams enough with the talent at his disposal
    – Tactically clever , always has been
    – His farts do smell, even if Ed would tell us otherwise
    – I don’t think we won 1-2 because it was a brilliant performance or tactical masterclass. On other days this might apply, but the game was too even to be considered a masterclass, to be fair to both Rafa and Hughton
    – I don’t think a bigger club that NUFC would want Rafa though
    — I’d hate to lose him to China. If Ash causes this there will be civil war, rightly.

If he left tomorrow I’d be gutted, but if a centre half falls over his laces in the last minute and Gayle scores, Ed calls it a tactical masterclass. None of the national journalists that I read did though – the ones who are independent and not in love!

Now are those the ramblings of a fan who hates Rafa ?

I don’t think so – I’m just trying to be balanced. Delighted with where we are in the league.

Maybe I am being harsh because if it wasn’t for Huddersfield ( as someone said) it would look a lot better.

To add to this , he comes across as such a nice man, which to me is important for the club.

• Rotonda heights

Mar 2, 2017 at 10:54 AM

bobbybee

spot on. we sold our best players, plus the likes of thauvin, cabella etc and gayle, ritchie, shelvey and a couple of others apart, this squad is no great shakes.

i think to try and repair all the damage caused by mccardew in such short space of time is nothing short of a miracle and i’m just sick of all the negative moaning.

it’s as if some people almost want us to lose to prove their point and say i told you so.

• Bobbybee

Mar 2, 2017 at 10:55 AM

Sparky, as I’ve just said to Munster, we have no divine right to beat anybody. If we don’t perform to the best of our ability any team in the league can turn us over. This is our level mate, we’re nothing special. We’re here because we were shyte last season. Rafa built the best squad he could, but they’re still mainly Championship players. No better than many others in this league. You must reduce expectations when you go down or you end up complaining all the time. Not you, but you get my drift. We’re just another Championship level team, with no more right to win it than any one of the other 23 teams. Granted, we pull huge crowds and are unquestionably the biggest in the league, but look at Villa. We’re a Championship club, with Championship players but a world class manager. He’s the difference. Him and us, the fans. If we want to win this league we have to earn it the hard way. Nobody is going to roll over for us just because we’re Newcastle. The opposite is the truth. Everyone wants to beat us. Every game is hard. That said, we’ve won five and drawn two of the last seven. Deserved to draw the two because Championship players make Championship mistakes.

• Munster Mag

Mar 2, 2017 at 10:57 AM

Rotunda, is what I have said above fair? I’m not trying to be lousy. I like Rafa an we are lucky to have him. I mean , look at that knacker at Leeds, barging the Huddersfield guy? And Pardew with a feeble headbutt. We all want a bit of class at the top of the club and he is a very dignified guy. In fact the more I write this , the more I like him ! 🙂 How do I type a loveheart on a laptop??

• Australian Pie

Mar 2, 2017 at 11:01 AM

Munster welcome to the positive side, you will find yourself smiling a lot and enjoying games for the full 90 minutes with fingernails intact… <3

I'm a bit worried about our CM next to Shelvey covering Mooy, he is legit one of the best midfielders in the league, knocks the ball around like Shelvey, had a rocket shot/free kick and never stops running. This might actually be a job for Colback, but will leave us with less going forward as if we had Diame in there.

• Munster Mag

Mar 2, 2017 at 11:04 AM

Aussie, I don’t think I was being very critical of Rafa after Brighton. Some of the early season stuff and late last season – his conservatism – annoyed me a lot. Villa away Sunderland at Home norwich away Fulham away wolves at home . That doesn’t mean I don’t like the overall picture. I think we got a bit of luck at Brighton. Bobby I’m not asking us to beat Barca – but Ed is writing like we have? I bett stop this or I will be called a Rafa hater. Look, if we had gone there and won 0-2, say, hittingthem in two devastating counter attacks, and denied them space all over the pitch, and left them with say, a handful of half chances on goal, I would call that a tactical masterclass. Bringing on a sub with a minute to score, and persisting with a shit Gouffy all game, does no a tactical masterclass make – not in my books anyway. Happy days with the goal though!

• Bobbybee

Mar 2, 2017 at 11:08 AM

I think a lot of people haven’t reduced expectations and expect us to walk it. There are players in this league better than some of ours whether we like it or not. It’s tougher than I expected it to be, I don’t mind admitting that. We’re just one of 24 teams in this division and all of them are here for a reason. This is the level we’re all at. Our players make the same mistakes others do because most of them are Championship quality. Luckily we have the odd few that are better and that, along with Rafa, is the reason we’re top. And you can’t get any better than top. Just enjoy the party and stop having expectations that are unreasonable. To be honest I’m loving this season. After years of watching us struggle home and away, this is magic. Like everyone, I’m disappointed when we don’t win, but it’s part and parcel of the league we’re in. It’s fun and I’m enjoying it.

• Munster Mag

Mar 2, 2017 at 11:09 AM

Rotunda, I don’t think what I am saying constitutes moaning. I’m delighted! But have we a right to moan when we mess up 2-2 at home to Bristol? Yes we do. Thing is , unless Rafa does something odd, like take off both centre halves and then leak goals, one cant criticise? So if we do shit, its the players lack of energy , or its because Dummett cant attack. But if we sore, its because Rafa made it happen? Doesn’t stack up to me . I better keep reiterating here – I am not whinging – I am discussing. Massive difference . And I think Rafa is goooood!

• Rotonda heights

Mar 2, 2017 at 11:11 AM

i suspect brighton were expecting to play mitro or murphy for the full 90, neither of which would have had goof’s energy levels. goof sacrificed himself with his endless running and it was the perfect time with 15-20 mins to go for a fresh murphy. Perez on for the last 5-10 was inspired.

• Bobbybee

Mar 2, 2017 at 11:15 AM

You could argue we didn’t give Brighton much. A penalty that nobody thought was one is just unlucky. We tired them out, kept them at distance then made the right subs at the right time and scored two late goals. Granted one was lucky, but let’s be fair, those goals were coming for a while. The Gouff should’ve scored his chance. If he’d scored that sitter instead of Diane’s fluke, we would be saying masterclass. I still think Rafa got it spot on with his tactics. Towards the end Brighton were clearly running on empty and making unforced errors all over the park. Some might not see that as good tactics, but I do. He tired them out and then hit em hard.

• RUNAWAY777

Mar 2, 2017 at 11:15 AM

I was giving raffa some stick for not bring any sub on till after 75 mins I apologise as the man knew what he was doing but I was not the only one iam man enough to eat my words well done the man.