Yes – Newcastle Are A Real Team These Days

This is the appropriate tweet goalscorer Ayoze Perez put out after the 2-1 win at Brighton and he captures how Rafa Benitez has created a real team at Newcastle over the last year.

A team where all the lads seem to support each other on and off the field and they all celebrate wins together and take the defeats as one.

That will stand us in very good stead in the remaining 12 games of this season which is so vital for our club.

• Jail for Ashley

Mar 2, 2017 at 1:06 PM

I’m buying a smoke machine for Rafa!

• Essex Geordie Bill

Mar 2, 2017 at 1:07 PM

That Billings looks like a good player and that CF of Huddersfield is a bit of a monster.

As Charley said earlier they start off with a strong fast pressing tempo so we need to weather the first 15 to 20 minutes.

Against MC they slowed down especially in the second half. Although Wagner will make changes some of last nights team will be playing so hopefully they’ll tire out a lot as the game progresses.

They didn’t appear to pick up any injuries last night!! 🙁
    Not that I’d wish anything too serious on any player, just enough to stop them playing against us,

Although there’s more satisfaction in beating their strongest team. Which we will!!

• JamesToon

Mar 2, 2017 at 1:32 PM

Can’t believe its march already. Only 12 games left! Come on lads keep pushing and win this league!

• toonincheek

Mar 2, 2017 at 1:58 PM

Bit pi**ed off with Rafa.

Why can’t he organise a 2-goal lead aftyer an hour,
    then we can relax a bit and play the ball around the park.

This last minute stuff is doing me in.

For the record – we deserved to beat Brighton.
    We needed a bit of good luck to do it, BUT
    Only because we had some bad luck at the start.

• oldbyker

Mar 2, 2017 at 1:59 PM

I think the league is done and dusted just got to keep our heads

• toonincheek

Mar 2, 2017 at 2:05 PM

Huddersfield have an unusual goals scored/conceded record.
    Have a look.
    For the games they have won, as against those they have lost,
    their goal difference is surprisingly small.

They have conceded WAY more than us,
    and scored WAY more than us.
    Hard to see how they are close-ish on points.

• cyprus

Mar 2, 2017 at 2:30 PM

So the Rafa controversy continues…

And now we have a happiness scale. A contest on who’s happier when we win and saddest.

The Eor vs. Tigger outlook.

On football. Our biggest game, our six pointer, is the next one. Somehow, we must not lose. Then, I’ll agree with the oldbyker. We’ll be ok.

Will we do the usual, go down, then wake up? So be it. Only get me a point or three in the end.

• martoon

Mar 2, 2017 at 2:32 PM

As much as I loved the win against Brighton I’m trying not to get too carried away. The one thing NUFC is good at is being inconsistent. If the team against Brighton turns up we should be able to get a result at Huddersfield BUT if the team in the first half against Bristol turns up then Huddersfield could be out of sight by half time.

• Toonces

Mar 2, 2017 at 2:36 PM

Munster…

I think WWSBRD answered this already. Perez came on in or around the 80th minute and scored in the 89th. Only 10+minutes on the pitch. Definitely more than 1 minute but not a huge amount of time. Still, given Rafa likes to sub late – too late sometimes for my nervous heart! – it seems this is a normal sub pattern for him so rating or not rating Perez is probably not so much an issue. I would suggest he has concerns about Perez’ consistency and he needs to earn Rafa’s trust to get into the games earlier or start. I guess you could say he doesn’t rate him as a starter at the moment. In terms of movement (not raw pace) Perez is probably the current forward closest to how Gayle plays when Gayle is out.

• YoungMagpieFromBurnley

Mar 2, 2017 at 3:20 PM

Just watched the game. Lascelles was immense. Not seeing many plaudits for him though.

• Munster Mag

Mar 2, 2017 at 4:20 PM

Fair point Toonces. But put it another way. If our last manager had done this, he would have been called a tool for not putting Murphy on from the start and not playing a recognised striker up front? I don’t think we are even handed at times . Rafa may have credit in the bank ( and thanks Rafa) but that doesn’t mean we cant give fair analysis. Not one report I read thought New castle were good the other night . Ok, we won, and who cares – fair enough – but the guys who blow smoke up Rafas arse are not better or worse than guys like me who try to look at it in a balanced way. I know Ed wants clicks, but if Rafa trims his facial hair well in the morning Ed calls him a legend!

• hibbit

Mar 2, 2017 at 4:29 PM

is the Huddersfield v Newcastle match on tv ???

• Tsunki

Mar 2, 2017 at 4:33 PM

On sky. If you bought nowtv for the Brighton bash you’ve got two games for the price of one 🙂

• WWSBRD

Mar 2, 2017 at 4:37 PM

Munster
    They wouldnt of been called a fool if they had the experience of Rafa or the success with NUFC that Rafa has had, Pardew for example dined off 1 good season until he thankfully jumped ship

As for looking at it in a balance way I disagree that u do that, ur overly negative about Rafa because u dont like his tactics regardless of results

• Tsunki

Mar 2, 2017 at 4:37 PM

Munster I think the problem with your comparison with the actions of previous incumbents is that it’s redundant. If swiffy bonce or the Silver King had brought their subs on at exactly the same time as Rafa they would rightly be called imbeciles because they would be doing it out of desperation with no clear idea why it would work. 🙂

• Tsunki

Mar 2, 2017 at 4:41 PM

Rich man to down and out –

” Here you are mate, here’s a couple of grand to get you back on your feet. About £50k should do it you think?”

” Yeah, well. I suppose it’s a help don’t get me wrong I appreciate it but surely £100k would do the job properly, after all I could get a decent place to live with that, but I could get a really really nice place and a holiday if….Etc”

You get the idea with that.

• hibbit

Mar 2, 2017 at 4:46 PM

WWSBRD

in the championship the only thing that matters is the result
    and the end product of getting us out of it
    the championship will miss us more then we miss it

• JackBall

Mar 2, 2017 at 4:48 PM

Day three of we Rafa is better than what we had, but he really is not too good discussion. I never like to point to a specific commentator on this blog with anything negative. I think everyone here agrees with you (WWSBRD), with that not everything Rafa does is correct and that corrections can be made. What many have a problem with is not the discussion about what can be done differently, but that the tone and volume of the dissent does not meet the actual history of the team for the pasty three years and the current results. You sound like someone saying I like your new wife better, but the new one is fat, ugly and not too bright.