Benitez Pleased Newcastle Can Now Get This Result

In the first 21 games of this season we either won or lost games – that was until we drew 1-1 at Aston Villa and they equalized in the last minute of that game at Villa Park.

However in the last eight games we have three draws and five wins, so if we cannot win games at least we are picking up a point although against QPR they again equalized through an own goal in the last minute of that game at St. James’ Park.

But in the draws at Norwich and at home to Bristol City we came back in the second half after being behind at half time – so that was good.

Rafa Benitez – thinks team is maturing

That shows our lads can fight back and come from behind – something that was completely foreign to us under Steve McClaren last season.

When we went behind not only did we not bother coming back, we often gave up the ghost.

Rafa Benitez believes his players are maturing and he’s pleased we can now pick up draws rather than just suffering defeats when we cannot win.

We have seven defeats in thew league this season and if we had shown more maturity in the earlier part of the season we wouldn’t have lost so many games.

This is what Rafa has said today as reported in the Chronicle:

“They could be maturing, yes.” “Earlier this season I was more complaining about how we were not able to draw games, not just we were drawing and then conceding.”

“It’s not just about reacting when you go behind, it’s about keeping the score when you are in the lead.” “I think that we are learning and that, little by little, we are getting this experience.”

“It’s important to have a good run not losing games.”

“Sometimes that’s just for the confidence, even if you lose two points, but for the confidence it can make a big difference if you draw.”

“Even if you are playing well and losing, then this kind of situation can be quite bad.”

“But now we have more experience, we are more mature and we can manage better the end of the games.”

“Norwich was the example, where we had to react and do well in the second half.”

“At half-time of the Bristol City game, the message was: ‘Have confidence in ourselves, we are doing well.’”

“Normally you should carry on trying to do the right things; don’t play with anxiety.”

“Still it is something we need to manage better, but we are reacting well in more games now than we were before.”

The good news is that we have won a lot of games – 23 in 34 game sin the Championship – a 68% win rate.

If we can make that 24 today at John Smith’s Stadium against the Terriers we will be flying.

But we would then have to win at Reading on Tuesday night too.

🙂

Howay The Lads!!

How Will Newcastle Fare At Huddersfield?

View Results
Loading ... Loading ...

• TyneMouth

Mar 4, 2017 at 12:15 PM

…’nothing has changed’ is a very straight forward statement, three words that leave little for a misunderstanding, you’ll have thought…

• WWSBRD

Mar 4, 2017 at 12:22 PM

Nothing has changed only puts things at ease if u know how things were organised previously which no one does. No one likes to hear bad news but that doesnt mean its not possible to be there

• Madmag

Mar 4, 2017 at 12:25 PM

Ed, I’m so sorry to read your latest health update with its bad news I think you are right to go straight to Chemo which will be difficult for you but I am sure you will overcome it with your positive attitude. Remember most cancers are beatable today I will keep you in my thoughts
    Let me just wish you the very very best of luck

Ps I feel touched by this as I too am a Walker lad

• Bobbybee

Mar 4, 2017 at 12:29 PM

Before I go. WWSBRD, I do recall you saying you often go for the opposite point just to wind things up, so I never know if you mean what you say. 🙂 Anyway, we did know. Rafa said he was in charge. That should be enough. English not being his first language, he says what he means and moves on. Now he says nothing has changed. It is pretty straight forward mate. If anything changes, we can meet that if it happens. Why worry about it now? Enjoy the season. I am. 🙂

• TyneMouth

Mar 4, 2017 at 12:29 PM

This team could be an interesting proposition sometime before the end of the season, perhaps when promotion is secure…

……………………….DARLOW…

……..LASCELLES… CLARK… DUMMETT..

……………SHELVEY…….. MBEMBA…

YEDLIN………….. DIAME…………. ATSU…

…………………RITCHIE…
    …………………………GAYLE…

…….3-2-3-2 or 3-2-4-1?

• JackBall

Mar 4, 2017 at 12:31 PM

Regarding the comments on transfers. I think it is fair to say that the majority in this site and Rafa wanted at least one and probably two players to come in in January. All we have to go by are the reports that the final two where whittled down to McCarthy and Townsend. Can any one on the site find a credible report that identified a cost for either of these two players that you thought would have been a smart purchase. From what I read, I concluded that the final asking prices were unreasonable and that Rafa suspected that a compromise would be reached, but was not. It could be that it was forced on Rafa that it must be a loan deal, or that he only wanted a loan deal, but I do not buy that. I honestly believe the prices were wrong for the quality and impact we would receive in return.

• AncientC

Mar 4, 2017 at 12:32 PM

TyneMouth. When did Benitez say nothing had changed.

A. Before the transfer window opened.

B. After the transfer window had closed.

TyneMouth, could you possibly present the original agreement, so we can take a look at what exactly hasn’t changed.

• AncientC

Mar 4, 2017 at 12:34 PM

JackBall, fairly reasonable logic. It still does not explain why Benitez didn’t know what happened with signings after the window had closed.

If he had control, he would, at the very least, know where the club stood on transfers and what was going on… especially on deadline day.

• JackBall

Mar 4, 2017 at 12:37 PM

Tynmouth,

I too had thought at times that our best team, based on the players we have, could be a back three as you described, but I, as formations go, prefer a back four and we all know that Rafa is very consistent with that, so I doubt it will occur. May be, if we ever get further enough ahead with games to go, he will try that or even a back five with Yedlin and Lazar.

• WWSBRD

Mar 4, 2017 at 12:40 PM

Bobby
    Ahem i take umbrage with ‘to wind things up’ haha I sometimes play devils advocate to spark a bit of conversation but I always mean what I say mate (I can often see both sides of a coin and when its pretty 50/50 for me I can argue either side but I dont ever say anything I dont have conviction in)

To memory rafa said he was in control of Football business at Newcastle but what does that mean? No one really knows what that means people are just guessing. He clearly didnt know what was going on in January so hes not in control of transfers which everyone thought he was

As it goes I dont think anyone can think I am not enjoying the season but am not going to ignore whats going on because of it mate

• JackBall

Mar 4, 2017 at 12:41 PM

Ancient,

You too are being fair to me, but it could be, as I tried to say, optimism that the numbers he thought would be agreed to were just not. We had possible similar thing with Sissoko, but in the other way. I believe he was saying that Sissoko could be staying all along. We all know he liked him. Why did he not stay – a number he thought would not be met but that made sense for the team, was met and he was sold.

• Jail for Ashley

Mar 4, 2017 at 12:43 PM

Bobby,
    How come you don’t come on here to get in to an argument but always end up in one? 😮

• Essex Geordie Bill

Mar 4, 2017 at 12:43 PM

I like most (all) of us on here really don’t have a clue what transpired during the transfer window. It’s all speculation and inference.

I said before the window opened that we weren’t desperate for new players, yes even if Shelvey was out for any reason.

Rafa and the team can and did adapt to his absence, having said that we are demonstrably are better team with him playing and new players from all points of view would have been a good thing. But we didn’t absolutely need them and I would speculate that the management (all levels) thought likewise. As I said though that is just speculation by me.

And I’m enjoying the NUFC roller coaster this season. 🙂

• posada

Mar 4, 2017 at 12:54 PM

Essex
    I agree it’s pure speculation and I’m not sure what the point of it all is.
    I’ve said on here a few times. New signings great, but who leaves to make way for someone else on high wages. You have to stick with a long term plan and you can’t keep collecting players that make no contribution.
    Remember, we have the no hopers coming back in July. Saviet and co.
    Sometimes getting players out is harder than getting them in. Toite on 60K a week for example.

• lochinvar

Mar 4, 2017 at 12:54 PM

Just hope that the pitch will allow football to be played today as it’s been raining and there was a Rugby League match played on the shared ground only 48 hours ago

• Essex Geordie Bill

Mar 4, 2017 at 1:01 PM

Posada
    From what I saw of Saivet in the AFCON and the European competitions he might be worth keeping him on and seeing if he can make the grade, didn’t really get a look in previously. Is he on high wages.

• Essex Geordie Bill

Mar 4, 2017 at 1:04 PM

Lochivar

Might just turn out to the toughest team that prevails in that case.

• WWSBRD

Mar 4, 2017 at 1:06 PM

Essex
    Nar we can do better than Saviet next season, he’d be a waste of a squad place. I dont think I want any of the senior lads out on loan back other than Krul and I wouldnt be too upset to see him leave either really

• TyneMouth

Mar 4, 2017 at 1:07 PM

Ancient C @7

Minutes from the NUFC fans forum meeting on 23 February 2017.

‘The club received a number of questions in relation to the current season, Rafa Benítez and the January transfer window ahead of the meeting. Accordingly, those questions were invited from the floor. Alan Clark (AC) outlined that he had spoken to a large number of fans prior to the Fans Forum meeting and stated that reports around the January transfer window had been particularly concerning. AC asked for clarity from the club on its transfer operations. The club confirmed that nothing had changed in regards to the manager’s position, which remains as was outlined last May, when a new contract was signed. The club outlined the difficulties that existed in bringing in signings that would have genuinely enhanced the squad during the January window, which is inherently a challenging window, but confirmed it had made firm efforts to bring in players who would improve the team. The club stated that while there was a willingness to strike deals for the right players, they were unable to bring them to fruition at a level that served in the best interests of the club. The club recognized the disappointment, felt by all, but emphasised the categorical belief in the current squad and the players within it. The club concluded by stressing the importance felt by all to now focus positively on the path ahead, rather than continuing to reflect backwards.’

• Essex Geordie Bill

Mar 4, 2017 at 1:10 PM

WW you may well be correct, my point was that we didn’t really see enough of him to say he a waste of time, I’m all for given a player a chance he is after all an NUFC player on the books.

• Mister Tuff

Mar 4, 2017 at 1:11 PM

I sure some folk need their daily argument fix -just like Monty Pythons Argument Clinic.

• AncientC

Mar 4, 2017 at 1:12 PM

TyneMouth. That statement is from the club. The same group of people who last year stated relegation wasn’t a worry and that McClaren was doing swimmingly.

My question revolved around Benitez.

• Essex Geordie Bill

Mar 4, 2017 at 1:14 PM

Tynemouth

That statement looks pretty transparent and clear to me, so end of all discussions and speculation???

• WWSBRD

Mar 4, 2017 at 1:18 PM

Essex
    Must be a reason why we didnt see enough of him though surely? I dont think McClaren desperate to save his job or Rafa desperate to keep us up both had no reason to keep him out of the team and then to ship him out at the first opportunity…also last I had heard he had been awful on loan to the point where their chairman was having a pop at him

• WWSBRD

Mar 4, 2017 at 1:20 PM

Tynemouth
    A lot of words but doesnt say anything to me, the club lie afterall

• WWSBRD

Mar 4, 2017 at 1:21 PM

Awful refereeing in the Man Utd game

• Essex Geordie Bill

Mar 4, 2017 at 1:23 PM

WW

Oh no he wasn’t!

• AncientC

Mar 4, 2017 at 1:24 PM

The fans forum minutes also included a statement, saying that conversations about the summer budget were ongoing.

Didn’t some claim that Benitez would have had assurances as to how much money he would have to spend, after getting the club promoted. It wouldn’t appear to be as clear cut as that. I know people will probably just look at that, as the club being vague, so as to not give away information about finances. Still, the club could have confirmed that the manager had a budget to spend. “Ongoing” discussions about budget? Just back the manager and be clear about it.

• Ron Knee

Mar 4, 2017 at 1:24 PM

“The club stated that while there was a willingness to strike deals for the right players, they were unable to bring them to fruition at a level that served in the best interests of the club.”

“at a level” – What does that mean?

• Bobbybee

Mar 4, 2017 at 1:32 PM

Nice to see you usual opportunitists jumping in, lmao. I come on, say my piece and if it gets carried on, such is life. At least I don’t lurk waiting for an excuse to have a sly dig. 🙂
    Anyway, Kevin Friend has totally lost control of the Manure game. (that’s a football game for those who have more interest in digging than the actual sport). Abrimovich should be gone. Already booked, blatant and 100% deliberate elbow and the only red card goes to a Bournemouth player for arguing the toss. Granted he had been kicked in the head earlier, but difficult to say if that was from stumbling or deliberate. Obviously Neville claims it’s deliberate – but he would. Regardless, the ref didn’t see that, but he definitely saw the elbow and bottled the red card. Cowardice or cheating, take your pick. 100% red card, let alone yellow. Shocking..

• WWSBRD

Mar 4, 2017 at 1:32 PM

Essex
    Oh no he wasn’t?

• West Lancs Geordie

Mar 4, 2017 at 1:32 PM

Great result at Brighton despite us still not being at our best. Brighton lost it in front of their own fans a bit like we seem to do. Anyway is Gayle really fully fit for Huddersfield? Or is he going to be rushed back ? If so start him , otherwise let him get proper fit for after International break & two home games.. Gouffy. leading the line just is not the answer

• SPRINGY

Mar 4, 2017 at 1:36 PM

Bobbybee
    Its funny but if u watch the abramo incident back …abromovich leaves his foot in on mings the mings stands on his heed…he wasn’t lookin at abromovich so could say accidental but looked nasty but that elbow was nasty….. Will that be retro looked at… After he spoke to him??

• SPRINGY

Mar 4, 2017 at 1:37 PM

Bobbybee
    And whats funny no one wanted to mention abromovich started it by leaving his foot in b4 mings stood on his heed

• BarcelonaMag

Mar 4, 2017 at 1:38 PM

Does anyone know of any links to the match? It seems to be nearly impossible to watch it on the sly these days. I try things like First Row Sports and Cric Free but have to give up out of frustration.

• WWSBRD

Mar 4, 2017 at 1:40 PM

Howay u cant defend someone who stamped on someone elses head, looked like he meant it to me both should of gone

The lad who got sent off I feel sorry for ref had no idea what he was doing with him

• WWSBRD

Mar 4, 2017 at 1:41 PM

Barcelona
    Its on sky mate so there will be loads of links later on. First Row will have them Id imagine

• TyneMouth

Mar 4, 2017 at 1:41 PM

The minutes from the Fans Forum, as with all minutes from similar meetings, are approved by all members attending the meeting or in this case the forum.
    The number of fan representatives out numbed the club employees.
    Bentley said at the time his contract was announced that he was in control of ALL football matters, the club did not contradict this fact.
    … Nothing has changed…

• Essex Geordie Bill

Mar 4, 2017 at 1:46 PM

WW

Well that wasn’t much of an argument!!

• AncientC

Mar 4, 2017 at 1:48 PM

https://soccerstreams.net/ A new site for streams. It will have HD & Acestream links later, closer to kick-off.