Newcastle Fans React To Leeds Win At Birmingham

Chris Woods scored two goals last night in Leeds 3-1 win at Birmingham to put them in 4th place on 64 points after 35 games – 9 points behind us and we have a better goal difference.

Woods now has 22 goals and is top of the Championship scoring list although he has played 14 more league games than Dwight Gayle and scored two more goals.

We still have to play Leeds United (14 April) at home and Birmingham away (18 March – last game before International break) before the end of the season.

Chris Woods after scoring first goal

But Garry Monk seems to be making a difference at Leeds United and they could be promoted via the playoffs.

Here some of the reaction on Twitter last night.

• lesh

Mar 4, 2017 at 8:48 AM

Ron Knee

Those Forum minutes were illuminating

The questions relating to Rafa’s role in transfers resulted in night n-answers. Of course nothing’s changed but there was no assurance that his authority would remain intact going forward!

And as for Carr being at matches with Ashley (a good time for Ashley to catch up with senior staff to discuss transfers etc) what twaddle when Rafa’s said recently that he’s been talking with Charnley while Ashley’s seen sitting with Carr. Whoops!

And as far as refuting the Mirror’s story and it would be out of the question to issue a statement about any published falsehood, sorry but the Mirror’s a national publication with a readership of millions – It’s hardly the Whitley Bay Guardian is it!

Things aren’t well at SJP and no doubt the summer’s prep for the Prem’ll be marred by contoversy.

• Jail for Ashley

Mar 4, 2017 at 8:55 AM

No copy and paste this week as I haven’t seen a team I like I don’t think
    My confirmed Rafa bingo line up
    Darlow
    Yedlin Clarke Lascelles Dummet
    Ritchie Colback Shelvey Gouff
    Diame
    Mitrovich

• jane

Mar 4, 2017 at 9:01 AM

“dunno how Birmingham are losing , battering Leeds”

that was my impression too from the bits i watched.

• DubaiMicky

Mar 4, 2017 at 9:03 AM

Mt pennies worth

Darlow
    Dummet Clark Lascelles Yedlin
    Diame Shekvey
    Atsu Perez Ritchie
    Murphy

The most difficult choive is the lone striker, but after the impact that Murphy had on the brighton game, he edges it for me.

• mindshaft

Mar 4, 2017 at 9:27 AM

If we’re worried about Leeds overtaking us we need a headshake

• Moonraker15

Mar 4, 2017 at 9:42 AM

Leah
    Rafa has never had a problem with Carr as far as we know. There is no doubt Carr has come up with some great prospects in the past; Lacazette, Pea etc who we couldn’t sign because the incumbent manager wasn’t world class. I know there are some disasters as well but Rafa should have the final say ins and outs and I’m sure he wouldn’t accept any less.
    I actually agreed they shouldn’t pay a loan fee for Townsend in the January window; that was them trying to shaft us and we now have a better player in Atsu. I think we should’ve strengthened midfield but Everton didn’t need to sell McCarthy as they have loads of money.
    The only way Rafa will leave our club is if he is seriously restricted in the summer and Ashley doesn’t want to spend money; I can’t see this as he knows how lucrative the PL is now, but I don’t see Carr being anything other than a help to Rafa in securing good players.
    I think we saw the other night at Brighton what a great spirit there is in the club under Rafa. The other thing is Rafa has a great ally in Charnley and he always says he works well and talks to him all the time. So Rafa isn’t a Lone Ranger type and is more experienced at dealing with boardroom squabbling than anyone.
    Don’t worry all is going to come good at last as I think Rafa sees the Newcastle rafalution as a highlight in his brilliant career.
    Firstly he has to get promotion!!
    Howay the Lads !

1-0

• Moonraker15

Mar 4, 2017 at 9:44 AM

* Lesh (finger trouble)

• AncientC

Mar 4, 2017 at 9:51 AM

Moonraker15: Townsend wasn’t available on loan – so in now way were Palace trying to shaft us out of one.

• AncientC

Mar 4, 2017 at 9:51 AM

*no way

• WWSBRD

Mar 4, 2017 at 10:06 AM

Leeds keeping pressure on NUFC oh come on now

• expatmag

Mar 4, 2017 at 10:13 AM

As I see it and depending on todays result, I dont see Leeds as a threat particularly as hey have played a game more than us, are 9 points behind, and a significant goal difference in our favour as well as having to come to SJP soon.

I think their goal is to make the play offs along with Huddersfield Reading and Sheffield Wed and achieve promotion that way.

I think the top 2 positions are already sewn up and to ensure this, we need at least 6 wins from the last 12. With Gayle Hayden and Aarons due back soon, we should achieve this with the minimum of fuss.

Wins or draws at Huddrsfield and Reading this next few days will go a long way to ensuring promotion

• expatmag

Mar 4, 2017 at 10:24 AM

12 games left

Home
    Fulham Leeds Barnsley Wigan Preston Burton

Away
    Huddersfield Reading Wednesday Cardiff Birmingham Ipswich

I see 7 wins 4 draws and 1 defeat here…..101 points

• martoon

Mar 4, 2017 at 10:24 AM

Obviously I want us to win today but a draw wouldn’t be that bad. It would keep the points gap the same. Defeat would be a bit of a disaster.

• Ron Knee

Mar 4, 2017 at 10:28 AM

According to the BBC, you need 90 points to win promotion.

• RolandoOverhead

Mar 4, 2017 at 10:31 AM

Shows just how potent Gayle has been, Without injury he’d be way ahead, how many matches have we seen lately when we’ve thought … ‘if Gayle was on the pitch, he’d have scored that!’

-Darlow-
    Yedders – Lascelles – Clarke – Dummy
    Magic – Shelvs – Ginger Pirlo – Atsu
    Gouff
    Mitro

There’s always potential for 1 positional change from Rafa and I think Gouff did enough to warrant a chance at #10.
    Hope Murphy gets at least 30mins, he has no legs but his presence changes the game much more than Mitro’s does.

• AncientC

Mar 4, 2017 at 10:56 AM

It looks like Liverpool are going to back Klopp in the transfer market over the summer. Normally clubs would be looking at the players that Liverpool will release to make way. Having a quick scan through the Liverpool squad, aside from the players Liverpool will likely keep, none of them look worthwhile for summer bids.

Sturridge and Moreno are probably the only players that will attract serious interest. I am not sure either of those would be worth what they command in wages.

Man Utd will surely have a squad clear out over the summer, and there could be a few interesting prospects there. The only problem with that is Ashley does not appear to let the club get involved in bidding wars for players. It is going to be a tough ask finding players that other clubs are not interested in.

We are no longer going to be able to get Ligue 1 players on the cheap, the French clubs now have money. It will be back to the Dutch & Belgian markets in the summer, unless there is a change policy.

• SPRINGY

Mar 4, 2017 at 11:04 AM

confirmed rafa bingo
    —————————darlow——————————
    yedlin——–lascelles———clark———-dummett
    —————–shelvey———colback——————
    ritchie——————-diame————————atsu
    —————————murphy—————————
    rafa may go with goofy up front but think murphy in with a shout.

• WWSBRD

Mar 4, 2017 at 11:11 AM

Darlow
    Yedlin Lascelles Clark Dummett
    Shelvey Colback
    Ritchie Diame Atsu
    Gayle

My Rafa bingo entry

• lesh

Mar 4, 2017 at 11:18 AM

Moonraker15

But if Ashley insists on buying being limited to players under 26 and on whom there’s a potential profit on resale, then that is effectively restricting Rafa’s authority. He’ll not be allowed to by older, experienced players who could add value to the side and the Club – an Ibrahimovic for example.

And, if Carr’s been critical of any of Rafa’s buys or proposed buys in discussion with Ashley, then he’s been disloyal to Rafa. The Forum could have issued a statement that Rafa has and will continue to have authority over all matters football – subject of course to agreement with Charnley or whoever holds the purse-strings. They didn’t!

• Bobbybee

Mar 4, 2017 at 11:40 AM

Lesh, they said nothing has changed. Why are you constantly looking for negatives? They could have said ‘he’ s in charge going forward’. Why would they? To most speakers of the English language the words ‘nothing has changed’ is sufficient. They can’t keep constantly pandering to insecure people who look for double speak where there is none. Just accept that nothing has changed. If anything changes in the future, no doubt you’ll get your moment to Crow ‘I told you so’ to your hearts content, but until then give it a rest eh? We can worry about that if it ever happens without spoiling what’s happening now by this desperate search for negatives.

• AncientC

Mar 4, 2017 at 11:47 AM

Bobbybee, perhaps you could give the blog a list of subjects that are off the table.

While you are at it, maybe you could explain why Rafa thought a transfer was going to go through on transfer deadline day, when it transpired that Townsend wasn’t available for loan. Is that what you call in control of transfers?

• Tsunki

Mar 4, 2017 at 12:02 PM

Whoa there, someone’s donning his Content Police hat. Sorry constable! 🙂

• lochinvar

Mar 4, 2017 at 12:02 PM

Leeds are loading pressure ……on Yorkshire rivals Huddesfield who are looking over their shoulders at their near neighbours although they have played more games

• Moonraker15

Mar 4, 2017 at 12:02 PM

Ancient Rafa said all along he “hoped” to get players in January and he said of not then we have a good squad, which has been proved to be true!
    We’re top of the league ffs !

• TyneMouth

Mar 4, 2017 at 12:05 PM

RAFA BINGO BANGO BUNGA…

………………………DARLOW…

ANITA… LASCELLES… CLARK..DUMMETT.

…………..SHELVEY………….. DIAME…

……YEDLIN………..RITCHIE…………..ATSU

………………………….MURPHY….

VIVA BENITEZ! Score; 0-2…

• AncientC

Mar 4, 2017 at 12:08 PM

Moonraker15: Benitez was asked what happened after the transfer window had closed – in regards to failed signings. Benitez claimed he didn’t know…

What does that tell you?

• Bobbybee

Mar 4, 2017 at 12:08 PM

Sorry Ancient, didn’t realise I wasn’t allowed an opinion mate. My mistake, I thought this was a blog. So I have to sit here and listen to negativity but can’t comment. When did you take over mate? I was convinced this was an open forum.
    Look at his post. If this, if that – it’s all ifs. I just fibd it boring and if I do, I will say so. That OK with you?
    This constant desperate search for something to whine about when for the majority of us, this is a good and enjoyable season, is pointless. So what if it was to be true? Come on then, what are we going to do about it NOW. What can we do? Spoilt what’s happening now. Stop enjoying the season for what it is. You have ZERO evidence to support this level of negativity. All if this, if that. If things carry on in the real world, we might be at war next season and nothing will matter, but I’m not going to worry about that either! 🙂 There’s nothing to suggest that any of these concerns are valid. Zilch. The opposite is true. Maybe Rafa isn’t used to having his word questioned, so when he has nothing’s changed, he expects that to be the end of it. I would. You can find tiny holes to squeeze through if you search hard enough, but what’s the point? We cross that bridge when – or more to the point, if – we come to it. Right now, it sounds nothing short of a conspiracy theory with nothing to even back it up.
    You might want to be miserable, that’s your choice, but most of us are thoroughly enjoying this season. When was the last time we had something to shout about? Seriously. When? Years ago. I want to enjoy this now, because next season, regardless of what happens, it won’t be as good. We won’t be top, that much I guarantee. Seriously, I don’t get it. Why look to spoil a great season? Especially with if this, if that.

• posada

Mar 4, 2017 at 12:09 PM

According to the chronicle Wagner likes to play the same high pressing game as Klipity Klopp at Liverpool.
    When Wolves beat them, Liverpool that is, their manager was pretty open about their tactics. Lambert said we went over the top of their high press.
    We would need a mobile forward I think to work the channels – Murphy ?
    Also, they played Rugby League on their pitch on Thursday night. Pitch may not be great for flowing football.
    Who knows.

• Moonraker15

Mar 4, 2017 at 12:12 PM

Lesh
    You tell me one top club who deliberately targets players OVER 26.
    It’s just good policy as those over 26 may be late developers or are looking for a big payday. We need young hungry players not the likes of Michael Owen or Viduka! Ashley had his fingers burnt when Allardyce was in charge. If young players want to make us a career move stepping stone it’s up to us to freakin win trophies so they wanna stay.

• Tsunki

Mar 4, 2017 at 12:12 PM

NEE NAW NEE NAW NEE NAW

Alright I’ll come quietly ossifer 😀

Apparently it’s ok to rant about the right to having an opinion while ironically decrying someone elses right to the same. 😐

• TyneMouth

Mar 4, 2017 at 12:13 PM

…’nothing has changed’ is a very straight forward statement, three words that leave little for a misunderstanding, you’ll have thought…

• posada

Mar 4, 2017 at 12:15 PM

Ancient/Moon
    I really don’t get the outburst @25.

• AncientC

Mar 4, 2017 at 12:17 PM

Bobbybee, of course you are allowed an opinion. I actually find yours more interesting than most. It was yourself attempting to shut down another person’s opinion.

The blog would be fairly dim if people stopped expressing their views.

• Moonraker15

Mar 4, 2017 at 12:18 PM

I think if Gayle is fit and plays, we will murder HT tonight. They press high up we usually defend well but with Gayle we can play long balls over the top which will scupper their tactics.
    I think if we don’t lose in the next 2 games we will pull away from the pack hopefully with Brighton on our coat tails.
    Looking good now!

• Bobbybee

Mar 4, 2017 at 12:21 PM

As for transfers, he is in control of who comes and goes, but as he himself has said, he picks the players, Charnley does the financial side of it. They couldn’t get it done. That’s life. Yes, he said he didn’t know why, because he hadn’t had chance to talk to anybody, but the next presser he was back to his normal self. He’s dropped the subject, why can’t you? He’s moved on because, surprise surprise, nothing can change it. Instead of whining about it, he’s accepted the explanation he was given and got on with the job of getting us promoted. And doing a damn fine job of it.
    I haven’t come on here to row ffs, I came on to buzz about the good things this season has brought us, not squabble about Conspiracies that don’t exist. I’ll leave you to wallow in your self inflicted misery, I’ve got many more things I can be doing. Jesus, Lighten up before you give yourself a stroke. Worry worry worry doesn’t do your ticker any good mate. Great season. First for years. Try enjoying it. Catch ya latter.

• Moonraker15

Mar 4, 2017 at 12:25 PM

Ancient
    It tells me Rafa targets or approves certain players but isn’t involved in the transfer negotiations which is normal. You win some and lose others, but Rafa gets paid a lot of money to train and pick the team and he realises you sometimes don’t get what you want! That’s life!
    By the way, take another look at the league table!

• AncientC

Mar 4, 2017 at 12:25 PM

Bobbybee, I am ecstatic about the club being top of the division. I was actually predicting we could come up via the play-offs. I will enjoy promotion more this time than last time, considering how close the club came to collapsing after a string of poor managers.

I am not sure why you confuse being cautious of Ashley with having a miserable outlook. Ashley has done nothing to deserve the benefit of the doubt, exactly the opposite.

If you believe wanting Benitez to have control and be backed in the transfer market is negative – good luck to you.

• AncientC

Mar 4, 2017 at 12:27 PM

“It tells me Rafa targets or approves certain players but isn’t involved in the transfer negotiations which is normal.”

It also means Benitez isn’t in full control. And guess who controls the expenditure and veto in that set up.

• JackBall

Mar 4, 2017 at 12:29 PM

Regarding the comments on transfers. I think it is fair to say that the majority in this site and Rafa wanted at least one and probably two players to come in in January. All we have to go by are the reports that the final two where whittled down to McCarthy and Townsend. Can any one on the site find a credible report that identified a cost for either of these two players that you thought would have been a smart purchase. From what I read, I concluded that the final asking prices were unreasonable and that Rafa suspected that a compromise would be reached, but was not. It could be that it was forced on Rafa that it must be a loan deal, or that he only wanted a loan deal, but I do not buy that. I honestly believe the prices were wrong for the quality and impact we would receive in return.