Gayle Over The Moon With Everything – Fatherhood Is Fantastic

Dwight Gayle has given an excellent interview with nufcTV today and the Walthamstow-born 27 year-old comes across very positively and extremely happy with life at the moment, after he became a father to a baby girl a couple of weeks in Newcastle and she will be brought up as a Geordie.

What could possibly be better than that?

Dwight has also finally come back into the side as a sub on Saturday and we was scoring again as he took advantage of a late mistake from the Huddersfield goalkeeper and put the ball into the net in the 89th minute to make it a fabulous 3-1 win for Newcastle at John Smith’s Stadium.

Dwight Gayle gets congratulations from Rafa Benitez on Saturday

He was also wide awake as the goalkeeper made his error, so we have to think he’s finally getting some decent sleep again after the birth of his daughter – that’s got to be good!

🙂

This is some of what our 21 goal man said today about how good life is for him at the moment:

“It was a fantastic feeling to be back playing and scoring, helping out the team.”

“Obviously the last few weeks have been fantastic for us, great team performances and brought the team close together. So to be involved again is fantastic for me.”

“The goal was a bit of a lucky but I felt we were maybe going to get another chance, because they were obviously pushing for it.

“We have now expanded the gap but we know we have some big games coming up during the rest of the season.”

“Fatherhood is fantastic, loving every minute, one of the best things that has ever happened to me and I can’t wait for the future.”

“She was born in the RVI (Royal Victoria Infirmary), so she’s a little Geordie and hopefully she gets to spend some more time here and hopefully I can continue performing for the team.”

“I’m enjoying my football the most I ever have.”

“We have come on leaps and bounds since the first win of the season against Reading, everybody is improving individually as well as a team.”

“Reading are a great possession side and carry a threat going forward. They are going to be up for it as much as we are.”

We have Daryl Murphy starting up front again for tomorrow night’s game, but there’s news in the local papers today that Rafa is thinking seriously of starting Gayle tomorrow night at the Madejski Stadium.

Here’s our team:

Darlow
Yedlin Lascelles (c) Clark Dummett
Shelvey Colback
Ritchie Diame Gouffran
Murphy

What’s your team for Reading?

We need a win tomorrow night and maybe Dwight can score more goals for us?

How Will Newcastle Fare At Reading?

View Results
Loading ... Loading ...

• jayphoto

Mar 6, 2017 at 4:00 PM

big fan of gayle! Our best striker for sure, couple points tho..
    with Gayle in the team, we play better football IMO, his runs open up space, shelveys great at finding him, he’s the best finisher too! But our record when he hasn’t played is like played 12, won 10 lost 0 or something stupid… really a crazy statistic.
    I notice with mitro or murphy playing, Ritchie and Gouff/Atsu seem to get the ball higher up the pitch and shelvey seems to fade in and out of games, whereas when gayle plays shelvey takes over the game like a young pirlo whereas the wingers seem to perform slightly less.
    All good problems to have though, not complaining just observing

• TudorCrisps

Mar 6, 2017 at 4:02 PM

Congrats Gayle, love the fact he said his daughter is a little Geordie. Hairs stood up on the back of my neck reading that part

• firebug666

Mar 6, 2017 at 4:06 PM

Rafa Bingo Team

Darlow

Anita—-Lascelles—-Clark—-Dummet

Shelvey—-Colback

Richie—-Diame—-Gouffran

Gayle

Recon the Toon will win this one 0-3.

Murphy to come on in the second half to replace Gayle.

• optimistic prime

Mar 6, 2017 at 4:37 PM

Never played Rafa bingo before, I’ll say exact team that started against Huddersfield.

Don’t think Gayle is ready for a start, Anita may not be as good going forward as Yedlin but he has a better football brain and I think when fit Rafa will pick him 90% of the time. I can’t see him making any changes, all played their part and beat a more than decent side, be a slap in the face to drop any of them!

• Tsunki

Mar 6, 2017 at 4:41 PM

We will win. At least three goals for us. The juggernaut will roll over the Royals, sorry but that’s just what happens when we come to your town. 🙂

• Bobbybee

Mar 6, 2017 at 4:43 PM

Firebug, have you been getting inside information again mate? 🙂 Hope you’re right on the scoreline. I’ve gone for 0-2 myself – unless we get yet another dodgy penalty against us. I’ve gone for the win in the previous two as well and can’t see any reason we can’t win this either. I’d have taken five or six points from these three games and still fancy us to win the league, so I reckon a win tomorrow night clinches the title for us. I say that because I can’t see Rafa allowing us to be complacent in the run in. Can’t see any reason we can’t go on another unbeaten run after tomorrow night and seal it in style.

• Tsunki

Mar 6, 2017 at 4:45 PM

Until Gayle gets a convincing half under his belt as a sub, I doubt he will be starting. Thing is with Murphy is that he carries a known threat as a header, and our stats at crossing into the box are formidable. It pegs the wary defence back, and is a top away ploy. Too much for Reading, sadly ha ha.

As for Mitro, he may have seen his chance slip by. Unless Murphy gets injured.

• Bobbybee

Mar 6, 2017 at 4:49 PM

OP, not sure Rafa sees it as dropping them from a winning team matey. I think he sees it as a squad rather than a team. He’s made changes before following a win. Can’t agree with Anita though, I much prefer Yedders at right back. Not that there’s much in it, I just like what he brings overall. To be honest, as long as we win the game – or don’t lose it – I’m happy to go with his choice regardless. Seems to get it more right than wrong. 🙂

• supermac69

Mar 6, 2017 at 4:52 PM

Long time reader, first time commenting (too thick to know how to create an account haha)
    Looking really good this season, great to see a master tactician at graft instead of the previous line up of pure helmets hwtl

• firebug666

Mar 6, 2017 at 5:23 PM

Bobbybee

I’m not sure that inside information I’m allegedly getting is the whole truth mind. 😀

I think Gayle will start tomorrow, and see how he goes, Rafa will have Murphy to fall back on, but after Gayle’s interview I think he is ready to start.

0-2 may be right, but I think the lads can go the extra mile and nick me a third, with Gayle back I can see him grabbing a brace, and maybe Ritchie or Shelvey adding one.

• Bobbybee

Mar 6, 2017 at 5:29 PM

Firebug, I see it going the other way. Start with Murphy and tell him to run himself to a standstill. Then bring on Gayle to capitalise when they start to tire. Think either way might work though 🙂 Rather your score comes in than mine anyway. Even better, add your score to my score! 0-5. Laughing!

• Toonacious T

Mar 6, 2017 at 5:31 PM

Anyone else notice how often Diame turnsover possession to the opposition but yet he seems to continue to start every game. Am I missing something?

• hibbit

Mar 6, 2017 at 5:32 PM

can’t see Gayle starting this one
    think it will be Murphy starting and Gayle getting another 15/20 minutes under his belt just not worth taking any risks at this stage
    its not as if Murphy not doing a decent job and we have to bring Gayle back because we were desperate !!!!

• Toonces

Mar 6, 2017 at 5:53 PM

Diame does have a poor touch at times and he will dribble or turn into dead ends and opposing tackles. That said as much as he loses the ball he also imposes himself to win it from the other team. I find him an odd player to watch because he always seem to look like he is having a poor game but then seems to also be effective at tilting the balance in our favour. He’s a head scratcher for me.

• Bobbybee

Mar 6, 2017 at 5:57 PM

I’m with you on this Hibbett. Reading like possession and I think Rafa will let them have it, like against Brighton and Huddersfield. It’s worked OK the last two games and they’re better teams imo. I’d play the same side apart from Yedders for Anita. Two games in a few days on his way back from a long layoff might be a bit risky. Prefer Yedders anyway personally, but that’s not the only reason I’d change it. Why risk him aggravating anything? Should go on a good winning run now mate, because every win eases the pressure that little bit more.

• lesh

Mar 6, 2017 at 5:58 PM

Tynemouth

I know you’ll be delighted to learn that Carr’s eight year contract ends on his birthday – his 75th in 2020.

• Bobbybee

Mar 6, 2017 at 6:02 PM

Lesh, might be why Ashley wants him to be involved. The idea of paying Carr for sitting on his arse must be tormenting him! 🙂

• Mag52

Mar 6, 2017 at 6:08 PM

Anita needs a little more time out after a long lay off. So I’ll put Yedlin in, and Perez in place of Diame to start.
    Darlow
    Yedlin, Lascelles. Clark, Dummett,
    Shelvey, Colback,
    Ritchie, Perez, Gouffran
    Murphy.

• Bobbybee

Mar 6, 2017 at 6:14 PM

Sky sports mix showing the goals now. Brighton keeper. Oh dear me. Lmao! Catch it now.

• optimistic prime

Mar 6, 2017 at 6:14 PM

Bobby bee

I’m Anita over Yedlin, no harm no foul.
    Im happy enough for Rafa to get on with it, he’s doing alright.

Firebug

Can’t see him being risked from the start, his pace against tired legs in 2nd half could be the difference. I think Rafa thought the same against Huddersfield

• Readingmag

Mar 6, 2017 at 6:15 PM

Howay

A few things,
    if your going to the game, could I suggest the Hilton hotel ( free parking normally £7/£8) and reasonable priced 10/15 mins walk from ground.

RFC, play the passing around the back a lot, we need to press them, the same as Brighton did this then creates a huge gap between the back and front for them.

If we leave up one up, they will dominate possession ( which they will any way) . Tough game again

HTL

• Lindisfarne

Mar 6, 2017 at 6:26 PM

Nice video of high and low lights in Feb.

• Blackley and Brownlie

Mar 6, 2017 at 6:33 PM

Huddersfield fans around me were complaining that we have it so much easier than them because they have so many derby games. Fair point but what they miss is that other clubs treat NUFC matches as the biggest occasions of their season and they up their game for us.

• posada

Mar 6, 2017 at 6:39 PM

Martoon
    I saw your assessment of the bench and why there was no place for Mitro v Huddersfield. Made sense.
    For the Bingo players I have a feeling he may have told Mitro to get ready for the Reading game, thereby giving Murph a break.
    Mitro is fit. saw some pictures of him training on Friday gone.

• TudorCrisps

Mar 6, 2017 at 6:48 PM

Well well well pruttons went for a Newcastle win

• JackBall

Mar 6, 2017 at 6:49 PM

Posada, I too have a feeling that Mitro may be in. Pretty convinced that Gayle will come on in 2nd. So Murph or Mitro to start. I still like Mitros hold up play and allows our long ball to give possession a bit more often.

• Bobbybee

Mar 6, 2017 at 6:51 PM

Readingmag, we can live with giving possession to the home team. Brighton had a fair bit and Huddersfield had 70%! Not down to possession though, it’s what you do with it. Both games we pretty much restricted the opposition to long range efforts and Darlow handles them pretty well. As per Huddersfield our 30% possession was very well managed. Three goals from that will do us every game imo. 🙂 Seriously though, I expect them to have more possession than us again but our defence to snuff out any real danger. Our pace going forward, with Atsu and Gayle in particular, will give us the result we need. That’s the theory anyway! 🙂 Fully expect a tough game tomorrow but as long as we don’t lose, that title is looking within grasping range. Should be a Buzzing atmosphere Saturday if we do win. Welcome the rampaging heroes back home.

• Tsunki

Mar 6, 2017 at 6:52 PM

Oh no I hope it’s not the kiss of death. Probably he’s just conceding that we aren’t going to hand him the defeats he keeps predicting.

On opposition fans, i find they have one thing in common. A jealous, whining disposition because they wish they could be us. 🙂

• JackBall

Mar 6, 2017 at 6:56 PM

Betting against his Newcastle picks (even when he picked us to win he was wrong) would have made you some good money. But I’m not a gambler.

Equally important to our game is Villa Visiting Hudd. Can see Villa getting something out of the game – could be a great day if we avoid any errors.

• Bobbybee

Mar 6, 2017 at 6:58 PM

B&B, you’re right about the Newcastle game being bigger for a lot of teams than derby games mate. Just need to look at the crowds. Bigger crowd Saturday than the Leeds derby game, which speaks volumes. Leeds as well. Only sell out they’ve had for well over a decade. Teams are always desperate to beat us, regardless of how far away we are from them. Understandable I suppose.

• Jail for Ashley

Mar 6, 2017 at 6:59 PM

Can we all be on our best behaviour please somebody from the SBR might be checking us out before I’m allowed to post a link.

• Tsunki

Mar 6, 2017 at 6:59 PM

Aye if villa turn Huddersfield over and we beat reading it’s going to quickly look like the main event will turn to playoff scraps.

• Tsunki

Mar 6, 2017 at 7:00 PM

Jail why of course good sir, wouldn’t do otherwise !

Nobody mention Jib. Got it? Great.

😀

• JackBall

Mar 6, 2017 at 7:04 PM

Who had the countdown going last game. I’ll start – 25hrs. Maybe that is to far away to start, but can’t help it.

• Bobbybee

Mar 6, 2017 at 7:06 PM

Jack, apart from Leeds and Wednesday, most of our games are against teams with little to play for if I’m not mistaken. Burton have a lot to play for but they shouldn’t worry us really, although they played well at their place. Huddersfield and Brighton have some games against teams desperate for points and could slip up. Either way, it’s well and truly in our own hands now. If we keep winning, nothing in this world can prevent us winning the title. We’re the biggest challenge to ourselves and that’ll be down to man management. How reassuring is that? 🙂

• Bobbybee

Mar 6, 2017 at 7:09 PM

Jack, that would, be Bill matey. Down to hours, minutes and seconds. 🙂 That’s a point, where is Jib lately? Has he been here and I’ve not noticed, or is he on some sort of sabbatical?

• Jail for Ashley

Mar 6, 2017 at 7:10 PM

Working with an Everton fan who met Gayle at a pool party in Las Vegas not long after he’d scored those two goals that knocked the stuffing out of Liverpool, apparently he was doubly happy with the goals because he is a Man U fan.

• JackBall

Mar 6, 2017 at 7:12 PM

You could potentially add Wigan as a slip up game. They are fighting to stay up, and the bottom of the table has been as hard as the top for us at times.

Though, I do agree with you, but would love another another Hudd loss and our win to truly put a fork in it and Villa could do that for us.

• Readingmag

Mar 6, 2017 at 7:13 PM

BobbyBee -thanks man, great views. We will see.

Probably the most stupid post ever by anyone, but here goes..

I dont want to go up, for the following reasons.

1. The tickets are reasonably priced.
    2. The grounds I’ve been to, I have been welcome
    3. Getting tickets appears easier.
    4. I am not going to places, and watch my back
    5. When we up,Its not going to be clever.
    a. Rafa will fall out with Ashley over money.
    b . The current please give a honest shift , we will bring in more players naturally and more duff buys.

• gaz 44

Mar 6, 2017 at 7:14 PM

Just had a couple of month working down reading.. if anyone looking for a decent boozer and likes real ale, look no further than nags head on Russel street, great little pub just out the city centre