Prediction – Rafa’s Team For Reading – Two Changes

We don’t think that Rafa Benitez will want to change his team too much after two tremendous wins in the last two games.

Maybe he will rotate a coupe of players and we have Yedlin coming back in for Vurnon Anita at right back and Yoan Gouffran coming in for Christian Atsu on the wing.

And then we would expect Vurnon and Christian to return to the side for the home game against Fulham on Saturday.

DeAndre Yedlin – ball watching
Likely to come back in for tomorrow’s game

That’s a home game we have to win.

Here’s the predicted team for tomorrow night at the Madejski Stadium.

Darlow
Yedlin Lascelles (c) Clark Dummett
Shelvey Colback
Ritchie Diame Gouffran
Murphy

What’s your team for Reading?

How Will Newcastle Fare At Reading?

View Results
Loading ... Loading ...

• Lindisfarne

Mar 6, 2017 at 1:35 PM

If anything I would rest Ritchie, perhaps play Gouffran in front of Yedlin on the right. It maybe tough for Anita to play twice in three days coming back from injury, so it would be sensible to make that change.

• one fine day

Mar 6, 2017 at 1:41 PM

Rafa bingo
    Darlow
    anita Lascelles (c) Clark Dummett
    Shelvey Colback
    Ritchie Diame Gouffran
    Murphy

As per eds but with Anita continuing and I think yedling back for Fulham.
    Think gayle will be given another 20 depending on how the game is going .
    Still like idea of colback off around 70 and diame going deep with shelvey and Perez playing off Murphy
    Think reading like most we have played will be very up for this so going 1.1
    Btw I have gone for a draw the last 2 which has worked out pretty well.

• magspuggy

Mar 6, 2017 at 1:49 PM

@ Lindisfarne. I agree yedlin should start tbh I think he’s made the spot his and deserves to play atm.

Same for murphy. I am pleased he’s doing so well everytime he plays and glad he’s not at any of the others as he would have scored at lot of goals if played more this year.

Mitro is the loser atm but I expect him to get a run for the last few games at least..

• Bobbybee

Mar 6, 2017 at 1:53 PM

I think only one change, Yedders at full back. So,

Darlow

Yedders Lascelles Clark Dummett

Shelvey Colback

Ritchie Diame Atsu

Murphy.

0-2 bonus point. They’ll be more worried than us, that’s for sure. They’ll have watched both games and won’t know whether to stick or twist. They might choose to let us come at them, rather than risk us hitting them on the break, but we can do that fine. I think they’ll play their normal game and go the same way Brighton and Huddersfield went. The better the opposition, the better we play. Bring it on.

• TyneMouth

Mar 6, 2017 at 1:54 PM

If my memory serves me well, at the time Pardew was given his seven year contract, Carr also signed a similar deal.
    By my reckoning Carr’s contract runs out next season. It would be convenient to all concerned if it was earlier. Especially as this Summer will see a very, very important and critical period of transfer activity. Both ins and outs.
    It looks inevitable that a handful of Carr’s transfer choices will be leaving, Mitrovic, Mbemba, and Anita. There may be others.
    Many fans suspect that Carr still has the ear of Ashley, this may be true although there is no actual proof. Never the less, what Rafa doesn’t need this Summer is any disruption to his transfer activities!
    ‘dummys from prams’ comes to mind.

My questions is; ‘when does Carr’s contract end?’

• magspuggy

Mar 6, 2017 at 2:05 PM

Tynemouth, if p45due signed the 7 years on day one and care signed at the same time it would be December 2017.

• magspuggy

Mar 6, 2017 at 2:07 PM

CARE = CARR.

• Essex Geordie Bill

Mar 6, 2017 at 2:11 PM

Is it safe to come out now?

I moved to Washington for a few years and had a lot of Mackem friends, that was over thirty years ago, so mindsets may have changed since then but they were all decent open minded people.

Can’t say that I have any Smoggy acquaintances but I always work on the principle that most people are OK whatever their differences.

For Tuesday night If Gay;e is fit to start I’d like to see Murphy replace Diame, I reckon that could work fine.

• Essex Geordie Bill

Mar 6, 2017 at 2:14 PM

Gay;e = Gayle new keyboard!!

• Bobbybee

Mar 6, 2017 at 2:14 PM

Bill, mackems must be so open minded their brains fell out. 🙂

• barkel

Mar 6, 2017 at 2:15 PM

According to a quick google search, Carr signed an eight year deal in June 2012 so he’ll be with us until 2020 unless he decides to retire in the mean time

• toontaff2

Mar 6, 2017 at 2:21 PM

I remember Villans and Smoggies when we got relegated in 2009. Awful barstewards! Don’t really class Boro as a derby. And I enjoy fresh air! 😯
    Enjoyed visits to Hull’s stadium so hope they stay up at expense of HippoHeed or Leicester!

• toontaff2

Mar 6, 2017 at 2:26 PM

When we beat them 5-1 I remember noticing one of the police horses (not BUD) outside the ground before the game had deposited a large missile! Unfortunately, a police officer saw the glint in my eye, as I contemplated using said missile to welcome our near neighbours! Decided to leave it on ground and enjoy the game!!

• toontaff2

Mar 6, 2017 at 2:27 PM

Mind said horseshyte would have improved the smell of those away fans!

• magspuggy

Mar 6, 2017 at 2:33 PM

2020 I would be surprised if cashly hasn’t had him turned into glue or lasagne before then..

• Bobbybee

Mar 6, 2017 at 2:35 PM

Careful Toontaff, you’ll be branded the scourge of football by the blog police for even joking about such a thing. 🙂

• toontaff2

Mar 6, 2017 at 2:41 PM

The tone has dropped since I arrived, today!
    Ganja smoke up the manager’s derriere to horse poo and mack….oops, those doon the road, sorry, posada!

• toontaff2

Mar 6, 2017 at 2:44 PM

The BINGO entries are in fast!
    I on a run of 10/11 so you need to check my bingo, change 1.
    Murph/Gayle
    Gouff/Atsu/Ritchie
    and biggest Anita/Yedlin.
    Think it could well be same team, with Yedlin in for Anita?

• Bobbybee

Mar 6, 2017 at 2:51 PM

Elvis didn’t die in the seventies. He reappeared in Newcastle in the nineties. This is magic.

• Bobbybee

Mar 6, 2017 at 2:58 PM

Just checked that and the link is fine. We’ll worth a listen. Very cleverly done.

• jayphoto

Mar 6, 2017 at 3:05 PM

Think Atsu will play again against Reading. The lad is flying from storming the AFCON and played very well against Brighton aswell as being a big threat on the counter against Huddersfield. Think we’ll set up a similar way against Reading with the only changes being maybe Yedlin for Anita and maybe Gayle for Murphy but it’d be dependant on Anita and Gayles fitness.

• clinath@ed

Mar 6, 2017 at 3:18 PM

Brilliant Bobby

• JamesToon

Mar 6, 2017 at 3:21 PM

Rafa bingo

Darlow
    Anita Lascelles Clark Dummett
    Shelvey Colback
    Atsu Diame Ritchie
    Murphy

• Bobbybee

Mar 6, 2017 at 3:22 PM

Clint, got the voice down to a tee hasn’t he? Great editing as well. My mate sent me it on Facebook and I just had to share it. 🙂

• AncientC

Mar 6, 2017 at 3:32 PM

Carr helped keep the club in the Premier League without a net spend on players for 6 years. Quite miraculous to have zero spend on players – considering the players were heading straight for Pardewed camp after signing on the dotted line. A negative spend for 6 years of PL football, and some people wonder why not all of the bargain bucket players didn’t work out.

• Bobbybee

Mar 6, 2017 at 3:36 PM

Jay, got to keep playing Atsu mate, he’s playing so well. Would like to see him left upfield on corners though. His pace could cause havoc. Otherwise the ball comes straight back having been cleared. That does annoy me.

• JackBall

Mar 6, 2017 at 3:50 PM

I was watching the game again and made two observations. Firstly, is it me, or do we seem to to often not get clean possession, let alone an advantage, from a throw in. It seems that we allow to much time for the other team to set up and usually throw into traffic.

As for Murphy vs Mitro. I am not saying Mitro should come in for Murphy, in fact I would stay with Murph, because his lateral movement and finishing is better right now, but Mitro does hold the ball up better and gives us more possession when we play the long ball. I know many would say even that is not too good because he fall over to often, but I feel that is because he is usually muscling for the better position. Also, on why many people still love the guy, just check out his joy after the game.

• MadisonToon

Mar 6, 2017 at 4:01 PM

Confirmed Rafa Bingo

Darlow
    Yedlin Lascelles Clark Dummett
    Colback Shelvey
    Ritchie Perez Atsu
    Murphy

I’d go with Mitro instead of Murphy but I think Rafa will reward his play with another shot at it. Gayle didn’t look quite ready yet for a full 90 so bringing him on as a sub is a good, dangerous move IMO.

• c-dog

Mar 7, 2017 at 8:22 AM

Murph is a must start(should Gayle not be ready). Mitrovic hasn’t performed half as well.