Benitez Explains Why He’s So Very Happy At Newcastle

Rafa Benitez joined Newcastle on Friday, 11th March last year – so the one year anniversary is just four days away and will be on Saturday, when we play at home to Fulham.

And Rafa has achieved a lot in the short 12 months he has been at the helm and the fans will likely let him know that at St. James’ Park on Saturday afternoon.

We are not overstating the case when we say Rafa Benitez over the next several seasons could become the best manager Newcastle have ever had in their long 125 history.

Rafa Benitez waves to the fans at Huddersfield

That’s if he’s allowed to do his job and left alone to do it.

Rafa gave some excellent interviews yesterday after his press conference – and this is some of what he has said as reported in the Shields Gazette today:

“Twelve months ago, still I didn’t know what was going on.”

“Staying here last season, watching the fans – hearing the fans more than just watching was crucial in my decision.”

“And now I am really pleased because you can see the fans are so happy.”

“Always when we go away, they are so happy.” “To have the city – the whole club – following the team in a positive way is really important.”

“Especially when you come from Italy or Spain, and you know what is going on around.”

“You can come, you can do your job, you can coach the team and enjoy.”

“Yes, I am really happy with that.”

“But now the priority is just to concentrate on trying to win games and be sure that we are where we want to be.”

“I like my job,” “Sometimes people say ‘Rafa is lucky because he is doing a job that he likes and is getting paid good money’.”

“And that is true. In my case, I enjoy doing my job, and then I try to enjoy preparing for every single game.”

“There is the nervousness and the anxiety, but I enjoy the game in the way that I did as a young coach.”

“I try to make sure the players understand their job, and then, obviously, after that the main this is to win.”

“When you win, your are happy, but if not, then you have to start again.” (we are absolutely miserable!)

It took some courage and confidence for a manager of Rafa’s standing to agree to coach in the English second division  this season.

It’s a very difficult league and probably the most difficult in the world to play in and to manage in.

But Rafa has taken it in his stride and done very well winning 24 games out of the 35 games played and getting 13 away wins this year – a club record.

He also equaled the club record of 9 successive wins in all competitions.

PosTeamGamesGDPoints
1Newcastle464594
2Brighton463493
3Reading46485
4Sheffield Wednesday461581
5Huddersfield46-281
6Fulham462880

This all in his first year at Newcastle as he is transforming the club from top to bottom, so it’s hardly surprising the fans just love this man.

In short – he’s been fantastic for Newcastle United.

Long may he remain our manager.

How Will Newcastle Fare At Reading?

View Results
Loading ... Loading ...

• Ron Knee

Mar 7, 2017 at 9:06 AM

Mitrovic out of the squad for Reading. Murphy and Gayle vying for places in attack. #nufc

• JamesToon

Mar 7, 2017 at 9:15 AM

No mitro in tonight’s squad. Is he off in the summer lads?

Feel like him and Mbemba have huge potential don’t want us to miss out on but if rafa doesn’t want them then so be it.

With this being the third game in 8 days, I reckon there’ll be rotation.

Darlow
    Yedlin Lascelles Clark Dummett
    Shelvey Colback
    Ritchie Perez Atsu
    Murphy

• supermac69

Mar 7, 2017 at 9:18 AM

Please Ashley just don’t blow this, support the man and you might just redeem yourself in the eyes of us long suffering fans, this guy could take us places if you trust and back him, over to you porky..!

• supermac69

Mar 7, 2017 at 9:20 AM

Been reading this blog for 2 years and just Sussed how to create an account (how thick) haha some great crack on here people, keep it up as it’s great to read
    Hwtl

• Rotonda heights

Mar 7, 2017 at 9:23 AM

james

got to be honest never been overly impessed with either. Mitro is a red card liability with no pace, who misses a lot of chances and some games looks totally disinterested, while MBemba has pace, but is bramblesque and isn’t a natural footballing CB in the woodgate mould. Rafa’s not daft.

I’m a bit worried some fans think we’ve already made it and seem a bit over confident. Let’s not tempt fate.

Munster you’re not known as ”Moanster” for nothing.

• WWSBRD

Mar 7, 2017 at 9:31 AM

Jail
    I wouldnt be surprised to see double figures in the out section come summer. Keep the core of the squad anything outside of that available to move on

• Jail for Ashley

Mar 7, 2017 at 9:32 AM

We all want to see Mitro do well, a typical Nufc number 9 who seems to love the place but unfortunately it doesn’t look like it’s working out for him. Not sure how many appearences/subs Murphy has had but he is only two goals behind Mitro on four. You can say Mitro hasn’t been given a long enough run out in games but what are we supposed to do? Drop Gayle, you could argue that he should be playing with Gayle but we are top of the league with a +40 for a reason, the manager knows what he is doing. We want all players to do well here but some more than others and it will be a shame to see him go but if someone offers 15M so Rafa can bring in the striker he wants I think it’s goodbye.

• Jail for Ashley

Mar 7, 2017 at 9:33 AM

WW…,
    If we are talking about the likes of SDJ etc then yes, but not from what could be argued as Rafa’s best 16 this season.

• martoon

Mar 7, 2017 at 9:36 AM

Welcome supermac69 – good name by the way, one of my favourite toon players. As I was saying yesterday the writing seems to be on the wall for Mitro. We only want 3 attacking players on the bench and with the return of Gayle, Mitro seems to be the one to lose out.

• WWSBRD

Mar 7, 2017 at 9:41 AM

Jail
    I dunno suppose it depends on who ud consider in that 16 haha i do think Rafa will be ruthless though those who’ve played well this season may still be away if there not seen as PL quality

• Ron Knee

Mar 7, 2017 at 9:42 AM

I was wondering if Mitro could have coolly capitalised on that goalkeeping error as Gayle did. Maybe not!

• Jail for Ashley

Mar 7, 2017 at 9:48 AM

WW….,
    The sixteen that have featured most.

• Spoof

Mar 7, 2017 at 9:49 AM

It’s no surprise that Mitro has struggled under Rafa, as soon as Rafa came I said that Mitro would struggle, Rafa has always preferred the quicker more mobile striker so Gayle coming in the summer was no surprise as he is Rafa’s preferred type and was always going to be first choice ahead of Mitro, the only surprise for me was Murphy, I was expecting another quick and mobile type as back up and competition for Gayle whilst using Mitro if we needed to mix it up a bit, so Murphy was a surprise, it was clear last season that Mitro would struggle, seeing that Cisse was preferred ahead of him.

• Jail for Ashley

Mar 7, 2017 at 9:50 AM

Ron Knee,
    All jokes aside he’d have more likely barged the keeper out of the way and given a free kick. A couple of his performances were he was supposed to stake his claim have been nothing short of a disgrace.

• yorkymag

Mar 7, 2017 at 9:51 AM

Ron
    Not a chance
    He is slow but above all he does not put the effort in ,I think that is why Rafa has lost patience with him
    The Bristol game was the final straw ,he was so off the pace in the second half ,he should have scored at least 2 ,but worse he gives the ball away so easily turning our attacking play into breaks for the opposite side

He has has every chance ,he doesn’t want it enough

• Jail for Ashley

Mar 7, 2017 at 9:54 AM

Spoof,
    If it’s because of the system we play then maybe, but missed chances, disgraceful lack of effort and mindless stupidity are not down to tactics.

• Novocastrian66

Mar 7, 2017 at 9:56 AM

Ron; he wouldn’t have scored Murphy’s goal. He’s been a major disappointment this season. I thought he would tear up this division.

• Ron Knee

Mar 7, 2017 at 9:56 AM

It was interesting to watch Chelsea using Rafaesque tactics last night – successfully, too!

• WWSBRD

Mar 7, 2017 at 9:58 AM

Jail
    Id be surprised if Gouffran, Anita and Perez arent all in tgat list and id be shocked if we kept them all and Colback is a bit of a question mark too

• supermac69

Mar 7, 2017 at 9:59 AM

cheers martoon, some great crack and very knowledgable folk on here, I think we won’t keep more than half of our existing squad if/when we’re up, so the fat controller will have to back Rafa all the way, which I’m sure he will, even he can’t be that thick as to gamble a third relegation in under 10 years
    Surely not …!!

• Ron Knee

Mar 7, 2017 at 10:01 AM

“The threat of a two game suspension hangs over Matt Ritchie and Jack Colback, who both have nine bookings. The cut-off point is Sunday March 12th, meaning they need to avoid censure against Reading and Fulham.”

• Jail for Ashley

Mar 7, 2017 at 10:02 AM

Lets face it, the championship was made for Mitro, a year to settle in England, more than he should have game time and playing in the best team in the league, as Novo said he should have been banging them in for fun, at least a one in three like Rhodes at Boro, I will be sorry to see him go but not that sorty.

• hibbit

Mar 7, 2017 at 10:03 AM

i had Mito as leading score this season thought the championship would have been the making of him in british football
    but instead of stepping up he stepped back the kids just not good enough

• Ron Knee

Mar 7, 2017 at 10:08 AM

“Rafa will celebrate 365 days at the helm on Saturday when the table-topping Magpies host Fulham at St James’ Park.”

• Jail for Ashley

Mar 7, 2017 at 10:09 AM

Supermac69,
    I didn’t realise you were new. Welcome to the blog, not too late to win the bingo, 31 points has it at the minute and it’s about to start getting hard again.

• Jail for Ashley

Mar 7, 2017 at 10:11 AM

Ron Knee,
    That won’t be lost on the crowd. Getting off this rust bucket today so really looking forward to Saturday, I’ve seen some shote results against Fulham over the years so hopefully put them to the sword this time.

• Jail for Ashley

Mar 7, 2017 at 10:15 AM

WW…,
    The Gouff and Anita are out of contract and I think Rafa like Perez, I might have this Jeffereried on me later but mark my words. There will not be massive outgoings this summer of non loanees.

• Ron Knee

Mar 7, 2017 at 10:19 AM

Jail

Yes, we need a good performance against Fulham for all sorts of reasons!

• yorkymag

Mar 7, 2017 at 10:20 AM

I think gouff has done great Rafa obviously knows which buttons to press
    I would not be unhappy with him as a squad player if we go up
    But if I were a championship clu I would be banging the door down for him.
    I would also keep Anita as far a Perez is concerned Rafa won’t let him go anywhere imo

• WWSBRD

Mar 7, 2017 at 10:24 AM

Jail
    Haha we will see mate though even u are saying 16 players will stop and weve got 27 apparently plus those on loan so surely everyones agreed there will be a big squad clear out and rebuild?

• hibbit

Mar 7, 2017 at 10:24 AM

beat Reading and the Fulham game will be a massive party i am so looking forward to a home game !!!!!

• Ron Knee

Mar 7, 2017 at 10:28 AM

“A victory at the Madejski Stadium would see United beat the record of away wins set by Kevin Keegan’s side back in 1992-93.” No pressure, lads!

• yorkymag

Mar 7, 2017 at 10:29 AM

Ron
    Good knowledge!!!

• supermac69

Mar 7, 2017 at 10:32 AM

cheers jail, been reading the blog on my phone for a couple of years, didn’t know I had to go on a pic to set up an account haha fick as thuck man but here goes me first attempt
    Darlow
    Anita. Lascelles. Clark dummy
    Shelley Colback
    Gouffy Diane Richie
    Big Murphy
    Think he will keep yedders and atsu for a start at home against Fulham with Gayle getting maybe a full 2nd half tonight and 0-3 to the lads, bring it on

• Jail for Ashley

Mar 7, 2017 at 10:32 AM

yorky,
    With the Gouff out of contract it is a perfect opportunity to upgrade him, it might not be so easy with players on contracts unwilling to move due to salary etc.

• supermac69

Mar 7, 2017 at 10:33 AM

Shelley….? Well yiz kna who a mean

• yorkymag

Mar 7, 2017 at 10:34 AM

Jail
    You probably right

• Jail for Ashley

Mar 7, 2017 at 10:35 AM

WW…,
    I understood the clear out will come from the current team as it’s apparently not good enough, who are these 27?

• Ron Knee

Mar 7, 2017 at 10:38 AM

“The Magpies head to Berkshire attempting to extend their unbeaten league run to 11 games – victory tonight will set a new club record of 14 away league wins in a season.”

• supermac69

Mar 7, 2017 at 10:38 AM

Day off today so am away to a nice little pig farm up consett to stock up on meat, best sausage I’ve ever had so thanks for the welcome lads?