Rafa To Meet Face To Face With Mike Ashley At Season’s End

There’s an excellent report from Mark Douglas in the Chronicle today and one of the things he says is that Rafa Benitez has requested a personal face to face meeting with Mike Ashley at the end of the season.

Presumably this is to get assurances from the owner on certain things after he seems to have been both disappointed and even angry at what happened in the January transfer window when not one senior player was brought into the club and not one penny was spent by the club.

That was in spite of Managing Director Lee Charnley and Rafa bringing  in 12 new players  in the summer and selling some want-away players like Moussa Sissoko and making a massive profit for the club of  £31M.

It’s thumbs up from Rafa Benitez

Benitez is not unlike Mike Ashley in that he is very pragmatic, but he also is a good businessman and understands the club has to operate in a self-sufficient way.

But with sold-out crowds next season at increased prices, Newcastle should be able to increase their revenues significantly in the Premier League with anything from £100M to £180M in TV rights money available to the teams,  depending essentially on where each finished in the league table.

That’s especially true since we expect Rafa to be able to have us finish in the top half of the PL table (we’ve done that only twice in the 10 years of Ashley’s ownership)  and eventually in the top six or the  top four after a few years.

Benitez is willing to travel to the headquarters of Sports Direct to meet with Ashley directly and just like his coaching and his plans for each match, he will be very well prepared and briefed for that particular meeting.

It will be good if some relationship could be forged between Rafa and the owner and that Rafa can get Mr. Ashley to fully commit to his ambitious plans for the future of Newcastle United Football Club.

Then we can go somewhere and go somewhere quickly too – like to Wembley to win a domestic cup for the first time since 1955 – 62 years ago when I was a young man of 41.

🙂

And it would be nice to have a photo of the owner and the manager from that meeting – one doesn’t exist as far as we know.

After all we should all be in this together as one club – owner, managing director, manager, staff, fans, local journalists – the lot.

• supermac69

Mar 7, 2017 at 4:30 PM

Would love to be a fly on the wall at that meeting like, hope it doesn’t end in tears…

• WWSBRD

Mar 7, 2017 at 4:37 PM

Repost then

WWSBRD
    March 7, 2017
    supermac
    U might be right about Ashley and money but I don’t think a back up or rotation RB will cost that much or whatever Gouffran is

I don’t think they versatility is much of a strength tbh Anita is cheap everywhere other than RB and Gouffran is poor in the PL wherever he has played for me mate

• dem

Ritchie Diame Atsu
    Murphy

1-5 to the Toon!!
    HWTL

• JohnJ

Mar 7, 2017 at 4:45 PM

I’m sure Ed’s not really aged 103 probably more like my age of 70something! Seriously as a new kid on the block here I’ve not found a better site than “The Newcastle Blog” when it comes to keeping upto date with what’s going on with my team! Well done Ed 🙂 Cheers

• toontaff2

Mar 7, 2017 at 4:47 PM

I think RAFA’s been waiting for my Bingo team – he’ll either put Perez in for Diame or Yedlin for Anita!!! 😡

• lochinvar

Mar 7, 2017 at 4:49 PM

I would hope that Ashley will visit Newcastle or fly into some secret hideaway in Northumberland to take tea with Rafa and finalise future plans.
    If we get promoted ( when we are promoted ) Ashley might not get a ticker tape parade down Northumberland Street but after appointing Rafa he will be welcome back in toon.
    Just hope that the new Adidas strip does the club proud and that we have a significant and respectable new sponsor not some tacky money laundering outfit or similar.

• toontaff2

Mar 7, 2017 at 4:49 PM

Gayle on for Murph
    Colback off, Diame to centre, Gouf on, after 65 mins.

• toontaff2

Mar 7, 2017 at 4:51 PM

New sponsor -Agent Provacateur, pink lace away kits?

• optimistic prime

Mar 7, 2017 at 4:56 PM

Rafa if you need a closer I’m there mate.

• WWSBRD

Mar 7, 2017 at 4:57 PM

loch
    Saying Ashley is welcome hmm nar not for me that but I will continue to ignore him existing as long as he keeps out of NUFC business

• Belfast

Mar 7, 2017 at 4:59 PM

Ed you’re looking well for 103

• cyprus

Mar 7, 2017 at 5:01 PM

For a guy who interferes so much, it is interesting how little they see him at the club 😉

KK has said there was too much distance and middlemen between him and MA, and so have others.

• JackBall

Mar 7, 2017 at 5:09 PM

Cyprus,

Was think the same thing. What is odd about the story is that you think there would be some contact between them and what is unbelievable is that is it even a story that the owner would meet with the Manager at the end of the season. I would think it would be routine and not something that Rafa had to ask for. I would guess it was always planned.

As for a sponsor,Agent Provacateur would be an upgrade. I’m not aware of any unseemly business practices by it. But on a serious note, it would be nice to have a sponsor that is a company you would be proud to wear across your chest.

• lochinvar

Mar 7, 2017 at 5:09 PM

WWSBRD – perhaps I was a tad generous in my comments there ! Just think Ashley needs to front up his ambitions for the club and show support to Rafa on home turf rather than at some remote Sports Direct warehouse.
    That part nothing surprises me these days so a Chinese take away or take over is always possible if the price suits Ashley.
    After all he’s now into women’s clothing and might need the cash to turn that business around.

• WWSBRD

Mar 7, 2017 at 5:13 PM

loch
    I honestly have no issue with Ashley selling us. I agree though I see no reason he can’t come to Newcastle for a meeting

Fronting up his ambition is rather worrying though because he has no ambition for us

• cyprus

Mar 7, 2017 at 5:17 PM

If he had no ambition for us it would be stupid. It’s like having no ambition for SD. That he ain’t.

• JackBall

Mar 7, 2017 at 5:19 PM

What his ambitions were, are not what they are or will be. It will be amazing to see how quickly the perception of him will change if Rafa gets loose reigns and finishes top six for a few consecutive years. Everyone can learn/change, and maybe we are on the precipice of his life changing moment. Hey, we can only hope that we now have an owner that wants to win at the highest level.

• JamesToon

Mar 7, 2017 at 5:26 PM

I mean its not like all rafa wants to do is bring in 35 year olds, he’ll want to bring in players who have potential and sell on value but also he wants the ability and allowance to bring in the odd veterans that can prove significant in a season e.g. your daryl murphys etc

Look at the team he built at liverpool, torres sold for 50mil, alonso for however much, gerrard who would have been worth loads, mascherano etc.

• JamesToon

Mar 7, 2017 at 5:28 PM

Its unthinkable how ashley can’t accept rafa’s so called demands, even though they are responsibilities that all managers should be able to have no matter what. I have no problem with carr being there, its when rafa needs to have control to pick and choose the players and have the final say on who goes in and out. All carr and the scouting team should be doing is scouting players and compiling reports and giving advice to rafa.

• yorkymag

Mar 7, 2017 at 5:32 PM

All this talk about next season
    Let’s get the job done first
    All this assuming makes me very very nervous !!!
    This is Nufc after all

• IITianToon

Mar 7, 2017 at 5:37 PM

Do not worry Ed, you will fight and beat the cancer again. Take care of your health!

• Jail for Ashley

Mar 7, 2017 at 5:38 PM

Cyprus,
    I thought you were cleverer than that, having no ambition for SD is nothing like having no ambition for us, we were bought to serve a purpose for SD not the other way round, I thought the whole myth that a successeful NUFC was better for SD was dispelled years ago.

• cyprus

Mar 7, 2017 at 5:43 PM

Jail,
    I thought you were cleverer, thinking that I was cleverer than that 🙂

Anyway, I’ll send that myth to myth-busters because I’m not sure it has been dispelled beyond other myths.

• WWSBRD

Mar 7, 2017 at 5:43 PM

cyprus
    Ashley entire time with us has show his level of ambition for us and it’s a huge difference between SD and NUFC to Ashley

• WWSBRD

Mar 7, 2017 at 5:46 PM

Think I’ve lost count how many times Ashleys attitude has changed yet stayed exactly the same…

• Bambams

Mar 7, 2017 at 5:54 PM

This bloke runs his business by employing his staff on zero hour contracts…..

I genuinely believe he will not budge one inch from his blueprint and Rafa will get the £31 million we have for a rainy day. If the club generates a few million it will be added but in no way will he put his hand in his pocket to finance any deals.

The only way we will do well is by Rafa’s coaching of younger players that improve.

It scares me that Ash can’t see that if he did back Rafa and brought in 5 top players the team would do very well. Thus his SD advertising would reach millions.

Too many times we have been on the edge of something and then he puts a spanner in….

Just my opinion

• Shadow_Shearer

Mar 7, 2017 at 5:57 PM

Rafa to says to Mike Ashley
    “splash the cash big man, or we getting relegated & back to square one. Followed by me resigning, because my work is not going forward”

• JackBall

Mar 7, 2017 at 5:59 PM

Bambams, history and facts are on your side, but this sports, which allows for more fantasy. We can only hope that a new sensible plan for spending along with Rafa’s ability to find and cultivate could be a winning combination.

• Jail for Ashley

Mar 7, 2017 at 6:01 PM

.Bambams,
    By simply being in the PL SD reaches billions.

• Bambams

Mar 7, 2017 at 6:01 PM

JackBall

I hope you are right. Just cannot see him changing fella

• supermac69

Mar 7, 2017 at 6:03 PM

Fair play ww, just think they deserve the chance of a swan song under Rafa as they’re good honest pros but deffo not 1st team starters just squad backups imo, feel the same for Murphy as a 3rd choice..

• supermac69

Mar 7, 2017 at 6:04 PM

Lochinvar, I thought it was puma making the strips

• Bambams

Mar 7, 2017 at 6:04 PM

Jail

Can you seriously see him releasing more than the 30+ million we have. I am not wanting to be negative in anyway and at times I get carried away thinking ‘This is the time’ but I then let my head rule my heart.

I suppose the difference this time is Rafa and not another YES man.

Brinkmanship will be played and I hope Rafa wins…..

Time will tell fellas

• JackBall

Mar 7, 2017 at 6:08 PM

Just think, it could only be in four hours that it would be a proper time for this discussion. True, it would not be clinched, but if Villa and we win….

• WWSBRD

Mar 7, 2017 at 6:13 PM

supermac
    This season has been tgere Swansong for me mate both can leave with their heads held high which tgey couldn’t of before but need better next season, hopefully atleast…need the wages for a few superstars haha

• Toonces

Mar 7, 2017 at 6:14 PM

Stay strong, Ed! Thank you for this blog and giving us this forum to talk about NUFC. You will prevail and beat the C!

• cyprus

Mar 7, 2017 at 6:27 PM

Ed my man,
    Thanks for putting together the best football blog in the world. Stay positive.

• Legolas

Mar 7, 2017 at 6:29 PM

Rafa Bingo selection

Darlow

Yedlin Lascelles Clark Dummett

Ritchie Shelvey Colback Goiffran

Diame

Gayle

HWTL

I might be to late but been to work and in meetings all afternoon.

• NezzaNUFC

Mar 7, 2017 at 6:31 PM

31+ million + loan player sales + funds going back into PL + players sales + new sponsors + TV rights?

Yeah we will be alright 🙂