Former Striker’s Tweet Says It All About Newcastle

Mick Quin just about sums up what every Newcastle fan must be thinking this morning, after the disaster that was Fulham yesterday.

Exactly what is wrong with our players when they play at St. James Park in front of 52,000 fans – they look half the team we see playing away from home.

Unless Rafa can fix this problem and fix it quickly our hopes for promotion back to the Premier League will remain in jeopardy with Huddersfield coming up like a steam train and Brighton seemingly a lot more solid than Newcastle.

And that’s after we beat both of them away on their ground?

🙂

Who Was Newcastle's Best Player Against Fulham?

View Results
Loading ... Loading ...

• cyprus

Mar 12, 2017 at 10:59 AM

I watched some of the Preston Reading game yesterday, some good football by Preston.

Many teams play well, prettier than us, even, in this league. We’ll drop many points as will the chasers. 91 points equals automatic promotion will stand, I think. Hopefully we can crawl there.

Next year we’ll need serious overhaul if we’re to compete in the PL with the likes of… Hull ?

• Jail for Ashley

Mar 12, 2017 at 11:02 AM

If some of the doom mongers on here get their way we won’t have to bother.

• VanToonMan

Mar 12, 2017 at 11:11 AM

I’m not doom mongering – I (albeit nervously) have faith that we will still get promoted and maybe this result will serve as a good kick up for everyone including Manager to focus on getting things right for the last 9 games.

Having said that – I reiterate what I have said all season. Diame is not one of the best 11 in our squad and thus should not be starting – especially at home when we have match winners like Murphy and Perez on the bench. It’s as simple as that. Diame should be on the bench or in place of Colback if Hayden is not fit and Rafa does want to try Mbemba in the CDM role.

As for next season – Anita, Colback and Diame should not be starting – we need to buy top notch quality in their position.

• scout

Mar 12, 2017 at 11:16 AM

Some absolute clowns on here were top of the league ffs.
    If we go up its job done. Stop moaning

• posada

Mar 12, 2017 at 11:18 AM

So, what is happening with our home form.
    We can’t play it out from the back.
    Teams break and suddenly it’s 4 on 3.
    But why. It would be interesting to hear an assessment of it from a pundit or two. The lad Higginbottom is good with that sort of thing on sky.
    Certainly seems like most teams are doing the same at SJP.

• Jib

Mar 12, 2017 at 11:20 AM

scout

That’s why there are so many on here at the moment.

Their default setting is whinge and whine.

They love it when we have a setback.

Understandable for mackem wums but from (so-called) genuine fans it is annoying.

• ShirebrookToon

Mar 12, 2017 at 11:23 AM

9 games left = 9 straight wins.

Yesterday was the kick up the arse we needed

• posada

Mar 12, 2017 at 11:26 AM

It goes like this.
    I’m a better fan than you because I never whinge and I never say anything critical about NUFC.
    What a load of self serving nonsense.

• toon kk

Mar 12, 2017 at 11:31 AM

Answer to the tweet. ..
    The players are very nervous in front of 52000 fans, they can’t handle the pressure and fall apart, add that to our style of play and the result is a football lesson.

• Sav

Mar 12, 2017 at 11:35 AM

Apart from one stinker early in the season, anyone know what Chancel Mbemba has done wrong? He is an international who plays RB, DM and is a CB who is comfortable on the ball. All positions we need cover for and traits we could well do with. 9 games left to rehabilitate him otherwise he’s sure to go in the summer. Come on Rafa.

• Munster Mag

Mar 12, 2017 at 11:37 AM

Toontaff your comments are fair but guys like me, Posada, Stuart cant criticise Rafa without the halfwits screaming ” but we are top” . Look, Rafa has done a very good job ( top of league obviously , fitness communications etc ) , but we don’t attack teams enough at home and when he bigs up the opposition like he did before we played Fulham, what message does that send the players? We are in a bit of bother now because Huddersfield and Brighton are in form and have been for ages. We need to attack more at home . Nodody but Rafa knows why we cant go two up top with two wingers . We might concede but we will almost certainly score goals. But Rafa wont try it . Why ?? Defensive mindset again? Control ? I don’t know , but if we go into the playoffs I don’t think we will be mentally strong enough to make it through them.

• posada

Mar 12, 2017 at 11:37 AM

We weren’t nervous infront of 52000 when we beat Reading and Brighton at home earlier in the season.

• kimbo

Mar 12, 2017 at 11:39 AM

Comments from Coco the clown(my new name).
    Well if accepting the dire football that has been on offer recently at home , I cannot sit here and not critise Rafa for his p!$$ power tactics and team selections. Dummett Anita and Colback should be dropped and never play for us again.

• toon kk

Mar 12, 2017 at 11:45 AM

Tbf There was always going to be defeats,every team has them no matter how good they are but what concerns me most is our terrible home form of late, our players obviously can’t handle the pressure and Rafa has turned us into a defensive unit similar to Boro’s tactics last season isn’t helping.
    Or do our players just think they have to turn up in person too win.

• posada

Mar 12, 2017 at 11:46 AM

Kimbo
    OK if you drop those three who would you play instead.
    In trying to answer that you may appreciate the problem Rafa has.
    Our centre midfield is ponderous and not at the pace of the game at times, but I honestly could not tell you who to replace them with.

• Sazzer

Mar 12, 2017 at 11:47 AM

Hopefully, we will remember this Fulham game as the game that convinced the board/Rafa to go get Cairney in the summer.

• toon kk

Mar 12, 2017 at 11:51 AM

Posada
    That was earlier in the season, tbf if we score first the players are encouraged by the fans to try harder but once we go behind nerves set in.

• Munster Mag

Mar 12, 2017 at 12:00 PM

Posada, its not just about speed. Its about attitude. We need to attack more – get teams worrying about Atsu, Yedlin, Gayle . Yes we have limitations, but Rafa spent a hell of a lot of money – that most teams cant even contemplate – and needs to sort it out. We can score two goals in two minutes v Norwich and attack like crazy when we need to. The ability is there. My concern is that Rafa can set us up all day long away to Brightom, but ask us to tear apart a mid table team at home and I would worry about his approach. Put it this way, if we were playing Forest at home I would be far more worried than I should. But maybe after that effort yesterday, things will change. But Rafa is notoriously stubborn so I don’t know if anything will change. I couldn’t believe it when he said we would be conceding possession to Fulham pre game. Why ?? We are at home . They aint Real Madrid. So, Kudos to Rafa for his great work to date – but please get after teams at home.

• Novocastrian66

Mar 12, 2017 at 12:01 PM

It wasn’t the defeat yesterday that was so concerning it was the manner of the defeat. We were systematically outplayed and we were second best in every department. The score line flattered us.

• posada

Mar 12, 2017 at 12:03 PM

Toon
    It’s not about nerves, these players are very experienced.
    We went behind against Norwich at home.
    I think each team pose the same problem now at SJP. Some better than others. We don’t seem to have the answer and I think our players now know that.

• kimbo

Mar 12, 2017 at 12:11 PM

Well in response to Posada, Mbemba for Anita,Jesus for Dummett and Diame for Colback. We could also play 3 at the back. Second half of the game yesterday Anita was so slow getting back into position I believe my 92 year old mother in law is faster even using her Zima.

• kimbo

Mar 12, 2017 at 12:12 PM

Diame was playing in the wrong position yesterday.

• toon kk

Mar 12, 2017 at 12:13 PM

Posada
    You’ve got a point there, I think alot of teams have sussed us out, exploiting our weaknesses and are more up for the game, but I do think our players have that much expectations on them they crumble. But like you say they are professionals and should be able to handle it.

• Charlie in the Gallowgate

Mar 12, 2017 at 12:15 PM

yeah have a go at me about RAFA
    But sorry what I have seen from the great tactician
    is same old same old boring football with the supposed to be the best squad in the Championship – dropped 14 points against the bottom seven teams !!!.

won’t comment on games I have not been to or seen

But what I have seen- won’t comment on games I have not been to or seen

But Home and away
    Play one up front at home regardless who
    pass sideways, backwards hoof it long
    we play like robots programmed to pass backwards sideways ‘must find Shelvey’
    and if you do something like Mbemba and carry the ball forward you are banished
    oh for HBA to excite the crowd once in a while

We have een outplayed first half in the last 8 league games at home first half:
    Sheff Wed – outplayed muscled all game
    Notts Forest – outplayed until they had a player sent off
    Rotherham – outplayed first half by bottom team – could of easily went in 1-0 down and had Darlow sent off
    QPR – scored first sat back and let QPR dictate rest of half.
    Derby – outplayed most of the game – they missed two sitters
    Aston Villa – outplayed first half until we scored – then they gave up
    Bristol City – humilitad first half against a team that had only picked up 1 point away from home this year – 1 shot on target first hour
    Fulham – totally ouclassed aftrer the first 10 minutes – 1 shot on target after a hour.

All I am asking for is to change tactics once in a while.
    Bring subs on before 70 minutes
    go two up front

But it is the same bloody thing week in week out – no wonder the Fulham fans were ohleh ing after twenty minutes – we were a embarrassment.

I will praise RAFA when we play well but I will criticise when I think he gets it wrong.

• posada

Mar 12, 2017 at 12:15 PM

Munster
    I really don’t have the answer. It would be interesting to hear someone like Higginbottom analyse it.
    I’ll bet you every team in the Championship have. They will all be exchanging notes on how to pose us the same problem.
    All I know is that when we put bodies forward we look vulnerable to a counter.
    I think we lack pace and legs in midfield. I’ve only played there in a kick about game, but that was enough to learn this. If someone makes a run off the back of you and you can’t follow your man you are in trouble.
    That seems to happen a lot.
    Is that why we sit deep and wait to counter. who knows.

• RUNAWAY777

Mar 12, 2017 at 12:19 PM

Jail I know someone like you walks everywhere with his top on bet you even sleep in yours sad man i pray your not married, by the way we won 1.0 on to the next round happy days

• kimbo

Mar 12, 2017 at 12:22 PM

Has Ashley sussed out Rafa, has some of his signings been poor, Lazaar,Jesus,Handley,Sels. Atsu will be no good in PL. We will need at least 10 new players if and I now mean if we get promoted.
    I am really concerned we have messed up at the wrong time of the season.Hope we dont face Fulham.in the playoffs.

• Munster Mag

Mar 12, 2017 at 12:23 PM

Charlie, for all the HBA lovers on here, they shud recognise that rafa wud only use him as a sub. He wudnt follow the controllers orders

• posada

Mar 12, 2017 at 12:23 PM

Kimbo

Mbemba for Anita. I’d go with that. He’s quick as out. Don’t think Rafa fancies him.
    Jesus – Not really been at it.
    Diame for Colback. Think it could work and has worked when we are dominating teams or going for it. But by and large I don’t think he has the range of passing or defensive abilities to play there. Not as a foyle to Shelvey. The better the opposition the more he would be found out.
    I really don’t think Rafa has that many options.
    Unless he goes three at the back. Too bold I think for Rafa.

• toon kk

Mar 12, 2017 at 12:26 PM

Charley
    Good post. Rafa needs to change things.

• cyprus

Mar 12, 2017 at 12:32 PM

Charlie
    Because you have watched way more games than others, I’ll continue to read your evaluations.
    I also get the feeling you call it like it is. That’s important. Once you get trapped in a camp, any camo (plenty here), you are obliged to support it no matter what follows. Many a good man has fallen into this. It can get pathetic.

• cyprus

Mar 12, 2017 at 12:33 PM

This doesn’t mean I’ll agree every time.

• Our Toon

Mar 12, 2017 at 12:36 PM

Jail

Why do you keep referring to Pardew? Why if Rafa leaves do you automatically go over the top with someone like pards coming in?

The fear mongering tactics you use are quiet funny to read and yet you used to be very balanced when it came to judging our team.

If we don’t go up do you think Rafa will stick around?

Something is broken at home but having said that we should whoop Birmingham, rafa needs to find a fix for the poor home performances, sitting back and trying to counter at home with pressurising the ball is not working…..my personal opinion is he should have fixed this a long time ago but he’s very stubborn in his control and defensive tactics.

• JamesToon

Mar 12, 2017 at 12:39 PM

Munster

You do make a good point there.
    The ability of both the players and Rafa to tell them to attack and press is there as we saw against Ipswich Birmingham Brentford qpr Rotherham in the first half of the season, but there was less pressure on us, now is the time when points really do matter a lot more and the fans expect more etc I honestly think it does get to the players sometimes, professionals or not, they are human and can feel the negativity. Just gonna say this now-we have some of the worst home support in this league, huddersfield and Brighton create so much better atmospheres, whether they have clappers or drummers which may be seen as embarrassing, their atmospheres are far more supportive and motivating for the players than ours, and a lot more scary for the opposition

• Our Toon

Mar 12, 2017 at 12:39 PM

Quite not quiet

• JamesToon

Mar 12, 2017 at 12:41 PM

The points for criticism of Rafa is fair enough and completely deserved. But calling for his head is not, and is utterly deluded and embarrassing

• JamesToon

Mar 12, 2017 at 12:42 PM

I’d still say the players have to take 60% of the blame though, it’s not like Rafa would have told them to let cairney shoot from outside the box etc

• Munster Mag

Mar 12, 2017 at 12:42 PM

Charlie/Posada, what counts at home is how we set up, and what our disposition is. The manager dictates the philosophy – he has to alter this. So my answer, is not about changing the team much, but to create a higher tempo, stop being so conservative and get the crowd involved. It wont take much. Our issue at home is that Rafa’s caution is killing us and we have been getting away with it for a while. Yes, the table tells a tale, but so does our style of play. When Rafa didn’t go 442 when we lost Shelvey, that’s when I wondered if we were going to be playing with caution all the time, and in a 4231. Its worrying because form at home isn’t on our side.

• JamesToon

Mar 12, 2017 at 12:45 PM

Tom Cairney is a must buy in the summer though, he’s a perfect number 10, and made Shelvey look crap. Andre Gray as well would be perfect for Shelvey and cairney to supply. We need a left sided and right footed Ritchie/Atsu type player. Wouldn’t be surprised if Rafa wanted Jesé Rodriguez. And a proper ball winning midfielder-Wilfred N’Didi

• JamesToon

Mar 12, 2017 at 12:46 PM

Munster

I honestly don’t think the formation means anything, hardly anyone plays 2 up top these days, it’s how we setup and how attacking we are etc