Who Will Be Newcastle’s Goalkeeper Next Season?

It’s going to be an interesting pre-season this summer given that Newcastle have made it back to the Premier League, because a number of loan players will return and try to prove to Rafa they have a future at Newcastle.

One of those players will be Tim Krul who will be fighting to get the number one spot back.

But he will have competition from Karl Darlow, Rob Elliot and Matz Sels.

We will not include the impressive Freddie Woodman who is very likely to be out on loan next season to get first team experience as he develops into a top goalkeeper for the future.

Who Will Be Newcastle's Goalkeeper Next Season?

View Results
Loading ... Loading ...

• Rotonda heights

Mar 21, 2017 at 12:37 PM

I’ll just get out my crystal ball

• lordy_geordie

Mar 21, 2017 at 12:45 PM

I like Krul and hope it’s him. Wouldn’t say Sels is competition

• AncientC

Mar 21, 2017 at 12:57 PM

4 goalkeepers + Woodman is too many. Certainly too many average keepers. Keeping 1 out of the 4, and trading 3 average keepers for 1 that is high quality would seem to be a better use of wages.

Elliot has proven he cannot be trusted to stay fit as a number 2, so I would keep Darlow as a number 2, let the rest go, and bring in a new number 1. Woodman is talking about wanting to get into the England squad, making him number 3 wouldn’t be overly ambitious.

• NoahJ

Mar 21, 2017 at 12:59 PM

If Krul is fit, then he is (in my opinion) by far the best keeper we have.

Elliot and Darlow are similar in terms of talent, but darlow is much younger, so would prioritise darlow (though have every respect for elliot)

Woodman- he seems to have great potential, and I hate the idea he could become another Forster which we sell on the cheap just because we never gave him a chance. I would happily have him out on loan next season, but with the view that he would be realistic challenger for number 1 the following season

Sels- sorry, but he’s proven multiple times he’s not good enough. normally I’d give players more of a chance, but there’s little hope he could oust the four in front of him, so I would personally sell him in the summer

• JamesToon

Mar 21, 2017 at 1:06 PM

In the summer we’ll need:
    Centre back
    left back
    Cover for shelvey
    Holding midfielder
    Left winger
    Creative number 10
    Striker

• JamesToon

Mar 21, 2017 at 1:07 PM

AncientC

I’d keep darlow as number 1 as i think he’ll only get better, he’s also built a good relationship with the back 4.

• catchy in norway

Mar 21, 2017 at 1:11 PM

are any of them good enough? i don’t think so, at time Darlow has been good, but he make to many ricks for me. Krul just went off the boil. Rob E has never really convinced me, and Matt S , not good enough for the level we are at now, so don’t think he will be up to the challenge in the prem

• estechco

Mar 21, 2017 at 1:33 PM

Picked Darlow ahead of Krul only as I suspect the latter’s higher wage and value as an asset will see him sold in the summer.

Sorry Tim, will always remember your great debut against Palermo!

• Charlie in the Gallowgate

Mar 21, 2017 at 1:36 PM

Keepers
    Me – would keep Darlow, Elliot and Woodman –
    Sels what I have seen not up to it.
    Krul – sadly not the same keeper since he done his shoulder/collar bone against the mackems

• Average_Contents

Mar 21, 2017 at 1:45 PM

How longs a piece of string….

• Average_Contents

Mar 21, 2017 at 1:49 PM

Darlow
    Krul
    Elliot
    Sels

In that order.

Is it just me or do all our keepers suffer from flappy bird syndrome. Some worse than others obviously.

• Average_Contents

Mar 21, 2017 at 1:50 PM

Does it stem from not commanding their area sufficiently? They need to get some nuts.

• toonincheek

Mar 21, 2017 at 1:58 PM

Average – How long is a piece of string ?

It’s 2x the distance from it’s middle to the end !

• Munster Mag

Mar 21, 2017 at 2:02 PM

All I know is that we need to start learning to create and take chances home and away before we can talk about promotion. If we go up, and I think we will , we need a whole raft of changes . And a whole pile of money from the big guy

• Essex Geordie Bill

Mar 21, 2017 at 2:03 PM

8 games to decide our season, doesn’t seem more than a few minutes ago when we were sweating on whether we stayed up.

The international break is only adding to the tension.

GKs and new players aren’t foremost in my thoughts at this moment in time.

• Essex Geordie Bill

Mar 21, 2017 at 2:08 PM

Shock horror, apparently Chuck Berry died of natural causes.

Given the normal life styles of the music legends he has done well to get to 90.

RIP Chuck

• toonincheek

Mar 21, 2017 at 2:09 PM

EGB –

I think that should be –
    8 games to decide if we get automatic promotion
    Or
    If we end up in the playoffs.

• toonincheek

Mar 21, 2017 at 2:11 PM

EGB –

Not so sure that Chuck’s recipe for longevity is PC !¬

• toon kk

Mar 21, 2017 at 2:16 PM

Our players are under a lot of pressure, every game we’re expected to win not just by fans either.
    We have a good championship team, but over rated by many.
    Probably the international break will be a much needed rest for our over worked players. Maybe Rafa will reflect on his negative tactics that costing us points.

• lesh

Mar 21, 2017 at 2:18 PM

Essex

Like you I was surprised that Chuck went naturally and given that he’d been a few times around the block, I was surprised he lasted 90 years. They must’ve bred ’em tough back then.

Yesterday’s Guardian did him proud with a centrespread of photos, a full-page obit and a political cartoon based on leading government figures (aren’t I being polite?) with reference to some of his songs. The cartoonist must’ve been a big big Berry fan to react so quickly.

I saw him a couple of times in Newcastle back in the day – what a performer who’ll add to the heavenly music scene.

• Mister Tuff

Mar 21, 2017 at 2:19 PM

Jib/Jane – save you a Google search.
    Chuck Berry was a musician/song writer and not a footballer.

• Jib

Mar 21, 2017 at 2:20 PM

Jus watched highlights of PSV v Vitesse Arnhem on SS5.

OK I know it’s just the Eredivisie , but Siem de Jong is looking good !

Philip Cocu is playing him in the classic no 10 role

Some of his through passes and late runs into the box were top drawer.

He scored the only goal of the game and had 2 or 3 near misses

• Jib

Mar 21, 2017 at 2:23 PM

Mr Tuff go and play with your ding a ling

• hibbit

Mar 21, 2017 at 2:28 PM

toon kk
    a lot on here have total underestimated the other clubs in this league or the poor quality of the officials
    never going to be the walk in the park a lot on here predicted

• Jib

Mar 21, 2017 at 2:30 PM

• Essex Geordie Bill

Mar 21, 2017 at 2:32 PM

Jib 22

He’s got to be a better option than H T Diame

• Shadow_Shearer

Mar 21, 2017 at 2:34 PM

To jib

Im glad to hear that. But does SDJ look as if he can defend aswel??? Because I personally don’t think rafa will bring him back here if he doesn’t. Look at how much defence work Perez & Diame do.

• toon kk

Mar 21, 2017 at 2:35 PM

hibbitt
    Totally agree. We’ve had a amazing season really. I wouldn’t like to be just starting now though. Other teams have sussed us out now.

• Munster Mag

Mar 21, 2017 at 2:38 PM

Why did Rafa sign Sels? I can’t remember, was the Dutch fella injured? Surely we could have bought a winger for 5mill instead of Sels, who lets face it, was a shit choice by Rafa