Newcastle Linked With 24 Year-Old Top Center-Back

Newcastle are reported to be (possibly) interested in a move for Middlesbrough defender Ben Gibson and Ben has had an outstanding season for the Teesside club in the Premier League.

But as usual some high fees are being talked about and apparently Middlesbrough now want £20M for their 24 year-old who came through their Academy.

In fact earlier in the season there were quotes he would cost £35M for Boro to sell him.

His uncle is the Middlesbrough Chairman Steve Gibson.

Ben Gibson – impressive for Boro this season

BetVictor have us down as 8/1 to sign the center-back who can also play at left back and he has looked an accomplished player this season, but not for £20M.

Some top Premier League clubs are also supposedly interested in the player including West Ham, Arsenal, Chelsea, Manchester City and Manchester United.

But we suppose it does give us something to talk about during this boring International break, since Newcastle do need a top center-back this summer.

🙂

West Ham are the 4/1 favorites to sign the player.

24 year-old Center-back Michael Keane of Burnley looked good for England against Germany earlier in the week, but that will only put his price up even higher – probably above £20M.

We have also been linked with 24 year-old Harry Maguire of Hull City who would cost £12M and he would seem the best value of the three?

What do you think?

• Offkey

Mar 24, 2017 at 8:30 AM

Ed getting a letter from Peter Beardsley reminds me of the times people came on here claiming to be the man himself and they were trashed……..lol, what if one was him

• AK Malaysia

Mar 24, 2017 at 8:31 AM

Dr Ed, My name is Azrail and I am one of the Toon Army Malaysia member and also South East Asia (SEA)Newcastle Utd Pool of fans. I am like many others, who always love reading but seldom comment at your article. Your articles have been the source of our information and also topics that we discussed when we met. To read about your current condition is heart wrecking.

Since you have been part of our life all this while (esp during transfer windows where your web will be the first I checked daily), I pray for your well being. On behalf of Toon Army Malaysia and may I say SEA NUFC fans too, we all pray that you are given the strength to face it. Stay strong, sir!!!

• AK Malaysia

Mar 24, 2017 at 8:34 AM

Letter from Peter Beardsley on behalf of the club is also respectful. Hope it brought joy to your Dr Ed…
    You take care always, sir!

• JP...from The Rock

Mar 24, 2017 at 8:55 AM

Ed just heard of your letter from Peter Beardsley. What a nice gesture and who would have thought the club read the blog LOL maybe he even posts comments!

On a more serious note I really hope you get better soon Ed. You and this blog has been part of my life since it started as I am always checking up on your interesting articles. I wish you all the best mate.

• Jib

Mar 24, 2017 at 9:01 AM

Food for thought regarding next season.

Although he turned 31 last September – Luka Modric is still a regular starter at Real Madrid.
    Perez and Zidane are determined to replace him while he is at the top of his game and not hang on to him like they did with previous icons – Iker Casillas and Raul until they are well past their best.

He has PL experience from his time at Spurs.

He was one of the few Madrid players to express dismay at the club’s tratment of Benitez.

Could he bring anything new to the Toon ?

• G

Mar 24, 2017 at 9:12 AM

Of the three players mentioned I would prefer Gibson, however, I reckon he will sign for Manyoo. Rumor has it that Jose already has him well and truly tapped up.

• G

Mar 24, 2017 at 9:22 AM

Speaking of rumours, just been told that Spurs have told Sissokos agent that he needs to find a new club, Apparently they have been trying to tout him around China, but none of them are interested.

• Salmon

Mar 24, 2017 at 9:31 AM

Jibs, old mukka 😉
    Modric is canny player.However can’t see Ashley bring him here and pay high wages for 31yr old.
    His next destination I suppose will be China.

• WWSBRD

Mar 24, 2017 at 9:34 AM

Nice from the club in regards to Ed, hes been a long servant to to their fanbase and certainly deserves it

In regards to transfers I doubt we will get either Keane or Gibson both highly linked to more successful clubs more likely to get Maguire who would be a good buy though if hes replacing Mbemba (most likely) then hes not the answer imo

And Modric wont be joining us come on

• WWSBRD

Mar 24, 2017 at 9:35 AM

Wouldnt shock me to see Modric replace Alonso again at Bayern

• lesh

Mar 24, 2017 at 9:56 AM

JP…from The Rock

Yes, a very nice touch from the Club and I’m sure Beardsley’s letter went down very well with Ed and really cheered him up.

Maybe Ashley reads the Blog and even takes note of the comments.

Some posters’d better watch what they’re saying!

• martoon

Mar 24, 2017 at 9:57 AM

I thought we had learnt our lesson about buying slightly over the hill players and paying them stupid money – no thank you.

• WWSBRD

Mar 24, 2017 at 9:58 AM

Apparently we’re scouting Villarreal theres a pretty good CB there who’d be brilliant at replacing Mbemba, also a pretty good forward we could be taking a look at? Probably neither tbf but who knows

• magpie6699

Mar 24, 2017 at 10:46 AM

Am I the only one who can’t get excited about “summer signings” till we’re actually promoted. Just “fake news” – or a slow news day because we have no game this weekend?

• manxpie

Mar 24, 2017 at 10:51 AM

Rotonda must be bricking it now lol he certainly won’t be on Peter’s Xmas list
    Just imagine if that was him a few seasons ago as offkey said haha

I’d have Maguire instead tank of a defender with loads of experience will only improve as well

• G

Mar 24, 2017 at 11:00 AM

The only issue I have with the 3 defenders listed, is that 2 of them will probably have experience of being relegated come the end of the season, and it’s only a minor bit of superstition, but I don’t like the Toon signing defenders with relegations on their CV. Nonsense I know, but it makes me cringe with fear when I see us linked with them.

• dazza

Mar 24, 2017 at 1:30 PM

No doubt about it we need a top class CB then again we need about 11 new first teamers.

I’d take one/two of:
    Gibson
    Keane
    Maguire
    Kone
    Sakho

maybe even Dunk…

We will probably end up with Michael Dawson

• scout

Mar 25, 2017 at 1:12 AM

Dunk better than all them.