Rafa Benitez Praises The Forgotten Man At Newcastle

With Ciaran Clark still out injured we’ll have to wait and see if Chancel Mbemba gets another start today at Hillsborough, after he was a surprise starter against Burton Albion on Wednesday night and played very well in the 1-0 win.

Mbemba was the first choice center-back last season, but since Rafa has come in the 34 times capped DR Congo International has made very few appearances for the Magpies and it even seems he could be sold in the summer.

Chancel Mbemba and Rafa Benitez

But Rafa has come out and praised the former Anderlecht defender for both his form and his attitude – and it reflects very well on Chancel that he has remained upbeat and positive, even though he hasn’t made the squad a lot of times this season.

This is what Rafa has said in the local press as reported in the Northern Echo about Chancel:

“A lot of people are talking about Mbemba. Clark and Lascelles were doing really well together for the majority of games during the season.”

“But he was really positive in training and in the dressing room.”

“I have been really pleased with him. Without Clark we had three centre-backs and he had been doing really well.”

“He was fine in the last game, so I’m happy with that and with his attitude.”

We have to admit that we think Rafa will sell Chancel Mbemba this summer and probably try to bring in Hull City’s Harry Maguire, but a number of Newcastle fans will not be happy with that.

Chancel played really well last season for us and is a good player and a great guy.

It’s not surprising he is a big favorite with the Newcastle fans.

What do you think?

How Will Newcastle Fare At Sheffield Wednesday?

View Results
Loading ... Loading ...

• Lindisfarne

Apr 8, 2017 at 9:18 AM

Possibility of both Hanley and Mbemba starting but may use the latter as a sub to protect against potential injury. Hayden could possibly come in with Diame moving forward, but I would rather he not. Rafa will probably be thinking to control the game and counter, I would prefer to see Atsu start but he is great coming on against tired legs. I also imagine that if Ritchie starts he will be subbed as he has played alot throughout the season.

• catchy in norway

Apr 8, 2017 at 9:32 AM

it truly perplexes me why Rafa drops Mbemba, he is by far our best defender, miles better than lacelles,

i hope Rafa goes for it today, its the only way to combat a team that pushes as much as they do, keep them in there own half

• The overrated Frenchman

Apr 8, 2017 at 9:58 AM

What an absolute crock from the Fat Spanish Waiter. He hates the way Mbemba plays because he isn’t the sort of brainless plank defenders his inhibited football mind loves. But he doesn’t have the courage of his convictions to say as much. “The Gutless Gutlord”

• Charlie in the Gallowgate

Apr 8, 2017 at 10:07 AM

I can see why RAFA does not play Mbemba – for me he was one of our outstanding players on Wednesday night. defended, passed the ball out, carried the ball out and twice sold sold dummies to attackers to get out of trouble – the one ‘class’ defender we have –
    BUT he does not do fit the RAFA mould of being ‘secure – no fancy footwork at the back’ just pass the ball square or back to the keeper or to Shelvey. And like Lascalles is capable of a rick like his air kick near the end on Wed night

• Charlie in the Gallowgate

Apr 8, 2017 at 10:08 AM

me today – got to start with Murphy upfront – because like the home game they will try and bully us out of the game and Murphy will give as good as he gets –

• one fine day

Apr 8, 2017 at 10:12 AM

The overrated Frenchman,
    Must be destroying your soul that Rafa is leading us back to the premier league.
    The job he was brought in to do.
    Your becoming this seasons toonbrother in this obsession than everything about him is wrong .
    The last time you chose to rant on like this I politely asked you who, given the same circumstances this time last year would you have preferred to have been given the job of sorting out what was a complete shambles of a club from top to bottom ?
    I believe I am still waiting to hear your answer .
    I am all ears ….

• WWSBRD

Apr 8, 2017 at 10:15 AM

ToF
    Really scrapping the bottom of the barrel these days eh

• The overrated Frenchman

Apr 8, 2017 at 10:21 AM

one fine day … I answered that question when posed by Jail previously. Basically my response was that I couldn’t put up a name, because I am too far removed from the scene to be that specific about who may have been available etc. But, philosophically, I was totally opposed to an overrated, overpaid egomaniac with a CV which includes failures in his last three postions, two of them absolute humiliations. A bit like the return of Keegan. I hope Brighton win the league under Hughton, and I don’t give a ferk what any of you think about that.

• Lindisfarne

Apr 8, 2017 at 10:21 AM

Rafa would be far more secure playing 4141 with Mbemba as the DM.

• The overrated Frenchman

Apr 8, 2017 at 10:24 AM

WWSBRD, you probably mean to say scraping, not scrapping, but I’ll excuse you because clearly you are not here for any meaningful intellectual input. Do you live in Benwell?

• BenArfa the magician

Apr 8, 2017 at 10:26 AM

Mbemba should play as the DM, i’d prefer him over Jack he’s quicker,stronger,better with the ball, better defender and he has played there for Congo. Mbemba is still young so would be able to adapt no doubt worth a try Rafa.

• one fine day

Apr 8, 2017 at 10:26 AM

Charlie ,
    Not a bad shout on murphy .
    A real toss up between a solid battler and gayle’s pace if we are looking to hit them on the break .
    If diame was in with shelvey I would love to see gayle and murphy just once . Maybe once we are up Rafa will try a few things …

• WWSBRD

Apr 8, 2017 at 10:28 AM

ToF
    Haha bless ya claiming intellectual input after spouting fishing bile. Do u live under a bridge?

• WWSBRD

Apr 8, 2017 at 10:31 AM

Anyway I wouldnt expect Rafa to experiment much with formations and players this season the title race will go to the wire and regardless of what they say NUFC want it

• The overrated Frenchman

Apr 8, 2017 at 10:36 AM

WWSBRD – I feel I should respond, but I can’t really make any sense of that..so I’ll give you this round on points. You have defeated me by going to a level below my comprehension. Fair play to you there laddie.

• WWSBRD

Apr 8, 2017 at 10:43 AM

ToF
    I can’t be blamed for ur lack of understanding…thats the school system, no? Surely if u cant comprehend what I said it’s above ur level though? Should be how that works

• magpie6699

Apr 8, 2017 at 10:43 AM

Over-rated Frenchman – suggest you go and support Brighton instead. After all they have a popular ex-Newcastle manager and …err…..that’s it!
    Your comments about Rafa just confirm how out of touch you are. He and his family have shown themselves to be caring and concerned – for example about charity, disabled fans, youngsters etc. I like how he almost never comes up with excuses if we lose or play badly. As for Mbemba – he played well on Wednesday but against a pretty toothless Burton attack. I would still have Clark in if he was fit.
    PS I don’t care if us or Brighton win the league as long as we finish in the top two.

• magpie6699

Apr 8, 2017 at 10:43 AM

PPS What a WUM you are!

• mindshaft

Apr 8, 2017 at 10:44 AM

WTF!! We spent 10 million + on agent fees last year !!!!

Only Man U/City , Chelsea and Liverpool spent more !!! what is Charnley kin doing – no wonder we’re skint

• posada

Apr 8, 2017 at 10:56 AM

If that figure of 10 million is accurate then it needs some explanation.

• The overrated Frenchman

Apr 8, 2017 at 11:05 AM

magpie6699 – It seems that if you are not slobbering on FSW’s espadrilles you are a WUM on this blog. So be it. But I do agree it’s great when Montsie donates the haute couture dresses she’s sick of wearing to charity. What a gal.

mindshaft@19 – you are a WUM and a mackem and a traitor to the glorious regime to disseminate such information.

• WWSBRD

Apr 8, 2017 at 11:09 AM

mindshaft
    Pretty high number that though 11 players brought in 2 of which 10mill+, fought off PL competition for Sels, Hayden left Arsenal, Diame left PL due to a clause, Yedlin left Spurs and Lazaar was cheap and turned down top flight to come to us…it would all add up not sure if it’s a fair amount or not tbh

• mindshaft

Apr 8, 2017 at 11:09 AM

@overrated – why, thankyou – nice of you to give me such a high accolade… I’d just like to thank my parents and everyone who worked with me to make me the man I am today, its been a long hard road and this award makes it all worthwhile etc etc

• hibbit

Apr 8, 2017 at 11:10 AM

sad mackem @ 21
    the closer you get to the drop the more vile you gets tosser

• Ron Knee

Apr 8, 2017 at 11:19 AM

RIP Tim Pigott-Smith

• magpie6699

Apr 8, 2017 at 11:21 AM

Amen, Ron.

• The overrated Frenchman

Apr 8, 2017 at 11:28 AM

I tell you what hibbitt….Ashely, Charnley, Carr, and the scum they engage with and employ, plus the mindless rabble like yourself who lap up everything they serve up, makes me wish I was a mackem sometimes. I don’t really know what that’s like, but it couldn’t be worse than being a NUFC supporter 2017 style. This is not a place I am proud to be, I can promise you that.

• AncientC

Apr 8, 2017 at 11:28 AM

£10 million on agent fees sounds about right. The club has released/sold a lot of players, and recruited something like 12 new players. That is a lot of transfer traffic.

• toon kk

Apr 8, 2017 at 11:31 AM

There will be too much pressure on our players today with Brighton winning. Expect very few chances a lot of defending and back and sideways football. Hopefully we’ll catch them on the break.

• AncientC

Apr 8, 2017 at 11:44 AM

Arsenal had a similar spend on agents fees, so by comparison: (Spend/sale of players)

Arsenal:
    Ins – £92,940,000.
    Outs – £6,750,000.

Newcastle:
    Ins – £55,000,000
    Outs -£85,300,000

Overall, we had more transfer business than Arsenal, with similar agent fees. The club must have used agents to help drive up the fees for Wijnaldum & Sissoko et al.

• toonincheek

Apr 8, 2017 at 11:52 AM

Very hard on Hanley to miss out last game – probably played
    better than Lascelles.

But – delighted to see Mbemba get his chance and play well.

I would be tempted to revert to Hanley for his experience for
    the game today.

• Mister Tuff

Apr 8, 2017 at 12:03 PM

What’s all this ” haute couture dresses” stuff.
    I know nowt about stuff like that -luckily the Mrs was at hand to explain it all.
    I suppose there might be one or two on here who might be interested in ladies fashion/lingerie/make up/hair do’s. (and natter on about Coronation Street and Crossroads)
    I suppose it’s the world we live in now.

• Bobbybee

Apr 8, 2017 at 12:25 PM

Rafa bingo.

Darlow

Anita Lascelles Mbemba Dummett

Shelvey Hayden

Ritchie Diame Atsu

Gayle.

2-3 bonus score

Gone for pace up front to hit them on the break. Need to win, dead simple. Just keep winning and the title is ours.

• hibbit

Apr 8, 2017 at 12:31 PM

sad mackem @ 27

then piss off back to pennywell were you belong

• toonincheek