Video – Rafa Very Clear On The Goal For This Season

Rafa gave his press conference early this afternoon and he had some very good news on the injury front with Ciaran Clark very close to a return, Dwight Gayle back running again in training and DeAndre Yedlin in contention for the game  against a good Leeds United side tomorrow at St. James’ Park.

Rafa has talked about the injures and that automatic promotion, whether we go up first or second, is the one thing we wanted for this season.

And of course yes – Rafa says it would be better if we can win the Championship.

Rafa Benitez at his press conference

But hey – we’ll take second place any day – as we would have done last August – especially after the two defeats at Fulham and at home to the Terriers.

Here’s a portion of his press conference today.

• Essex Geordie Bill

Apr 13, 2017 at 3:03 PM

Very close and running is not positive indicators that they can play and not to my mind good news.

Hayden is the bigger miss imo.

• Essex Geordie Bill

Apr 13, 2017 at 3:05 PM

Wouldn’t mind seeing Barlazer getting another run out.

• JackBall

Apr 13, 2017 at 3:06 PM

It would be hard for him to turn down that figure. I once wrote that I hoped that our team was not sold to the Chinese. Someone rightfully pointed out that I was being unfair. I stand by my point, in that I meant that I hoped that the team stays controlled locally; I do not care about the ethnic origin of the owner.

• hibbit

Apr 13, 2017 at 3:10 PM

Essex
    it won’t surprise to me if Ashley sells us in the summer he likes to sell at the top of the market and there’s no higher than the prem !!!!

• JackBall

Apr 13, 2017 at 3:10 PM

Esssex,

I don’t see that happening, until and then even maybe not, promotion is assured. But I agree, I liked what I saw the one time he was out there.

• WWSBRD

Apr 13, 2017 at 3:11 PM

Jack
    Whats controlled locally by Ashley? The helicopter pad I suppose

• Jail for Ashley

Apr 13, 2017 at 3:13 PM

hibbit,
    Wouldn’t be fantastic if the only thing that stopped Rafa walking in January was knowing that we’d be getting sold this summer and he’d been promised unlimited funds from the new owners 😀

• JackBall

Apr 13, 2017 at 3:13 PM

Fair point. Maybe my view of locally is too broad.

• JackBall

Apr 13, 2017 at 3:15 PM

We have a news channel over here that describes itself as ” As local as local can get.” Maybe what I am saying is a s local as we can get.

• hibbit

Apr 13, 2017 at 3:15 PM

Jail for Ashley
    depends who the new owners are !!!!!!!

• WWSBRD

Apr 13, 2017 at 3:16 PM

Barlazer was decent in a game this season but if hes being offered around for a move so either hes been told to find a new club or hes agitating himself not likely to see much more of him either way

• WWSBRD

Apr 13, 2017 at 3:18 PM

Jack
    Hey in an ideal world am sure we would all want a billionaire geordie who loved the club like a fan but am not sure we are likely to get that anytime soon

Tbh I just want a good owner who cares about NUFC as a football club I dont care where they come from

• Jail for Ashley

Apr 13, 2017 at 3:19 PM

Anyone other than Venky, Tan or Oyston!

• hibbit

Apr 13, 2017 at 3:22 PM

or
    Assem Allam the hull owner

• Our Toon

Apr 13, 2017 at 3:23 PM

Jail

It’s all good mate, it’s just not worth getting into that kind of stuff on a forum, I have no issues with your comment but if you don’t mind let’s leave religion out this

Hibbit – I’m defo not a football genius, no one on here is, and no one in football is a genius when they aren’t playing. I don’t agree much with you but have agreed with plenty of others, doesn’t mean we won’t agree on things going forward.

Not sure why you decided to make a negative comment about someone you’ve never met because that individual was raising a few negative points, I could think of a few choice words to describe that kind of behaviour but will refrain from doing so.

• JackBall

Apr 13, 2017 at 3:24 PM

Just a joke, but if you extend the list bit more, you might find out you would be happy with Ashley

• WWSBRD

Apr 13, 2017 at 3:27 PM

Jack
    I am unlikely to ever be happy with a man who treats us and the club with disdain

• Our Toon

Apr 13, 2017 at 3:28 PM

Anyway I have a long flight to get to Malaysia so hopefully to get watch the game out there. Lads should be up for it, will be a good game!!

• Sazzer

Apr 13, 2017 at 3:36 PM

Milan being bought is certainly bad news for us. Another team going in for the same players as we are going to be after.

• hibbit

Apr 13, 2017 at 3:45 PM

Our Toon @ 15
    read the first bit of your post to me and thought ok fair do’s!

read the second part and thought there he goes again always very the sly little dig in the process very condescending
    enjoy your flight stay safe