One of the good things that the struggles of the last several games will have shown Rafa Benitez, if he didn’t already know, is he must strengthen the Newcastle squad and be ruthless in the summer as he builds a squad for the Premier League.
He built one last summer that could get us promoted from the Championship with Lee Charnley and it’s looking like that will happen in spite of the trials and tribulations of last night.
Rafa and Lee have a lot of work to do this summer.
The Premier League is a league he knows every well unlike the Championship, which Rafa knew nothing about at the start of the season – other than what he could find out last summer.
Florian Thauvin – had very good season at Marseille – will be sold
That’s not the case in the Premier League where he has ample experience and knows how teams play and set themselves up – and in that sense it will be a lot easier for Rafa next season.
Just like last summer, there are a number of players who have no future at the club and these are the players who will either be sold, their contracts not renewed or will be loaned out before next season starts.
- Florian Thauvin – sell to Marseille for £10M
- Henri Saivet – sell if possible
- Emmanuel Riviere – sell if possible
- Kevin Mbabu – another season long loan
- Haris Vuckic – contact will not be renewed
- Sammy Ameobi – contact will not be renewed
- Achraf Lazaar – sell if possible
- Jesus Gamez – sell if possible
- Matz Sels – a season long loan deal
- Massadio Haidara – sell if possible
- Daryl Murphy – loan to a Championship club
And then there are question marks about these players
- Vurnon Anita – will he get new contract?
- Yoan Gouffran – – will he get new contract?
- Christian Atsu – will loan deal be made permanent?
- Siem de Jong – doubtful he has a future at Newcastle
- Tim Krul – could be number one goalkeeper in August if he’s back to best form
- Chancel Mbemba – starting to impress late in the season
- Grant Hanley – loan deal to Championship club – down to number four center-back?
So there are eleven players we think have no future at Newcastle and seven who there are still questions about.
That’s just some of the many decisions that Rafa Benitez will need to make this summer.
The manager wants six new potential first team starters brought in, but it is also likely he will use some of the U23 players in the first team squad nest season like Adam Armstrong, Jamie Sterry, Daniel Barlaser, Liam Gibson and others.
Rafa and the scouting team will also be trying to augment Peter Beardsley’s U23 side with top young players brought in from round Europe.
Once we nail down that automatic promotion (make it soon lads please!) we can concentrate on the summer transfer window – it should be really exciting.
What do you think?