The Morning After – Still Disastrous But There’s Hope

Fans may have calmed down a bit this morning after yesterday’s shocking defeat at Ipswich Town when we had the joint worst defeat in the league this season 3-1.

But automatic promotion is still in our hands and some fans are pointing out the good news – we can still get that promotion in spite of the lads kind of collapsing over the last few games.

Fans will be very important in the last thee game and especially in the final two home games against Preston and Barnsley to ensure the players get support and can win both those games.

A concerned Rafa Benitez yesterday

Hopefully we can still win all three but massive improvements will be necessary for yesterday’s game.

Here are some tweets put out by Newcastle fans.

• G

Apr 18, 2017 at 9:33 AM

Some fair points there like. The comment about being a young side particularly rings true. I don’t think we need 100M of investment either, I think we need 3 or 4 top level players (I don’t mean world class) and a bit of a tweak, and we are good to go. The target next season is to consolidate, the season after next is the one where we need to be seriously upping our game.

• SuperShearer

Apr 18, 2017 at 9:33 AM

Here’s a theory: Rafa is deliberately making it go close to the wire on purpose. If we had won the league at a canter Ashley would have never invested the kind of money Rafa knows the team need. By scrapping promotion, without going through the lottery of the play-offs, he’s showing the owner that the team is okay but needs investment to stay and maintain our premiership status.

I know… I know…. A pig just flew past my window.

• sing in the corner

Apr 18, 2017 at 9:35 AM

Disastrous is a strong word.
    Should be reserved for an unthinkable outcome once there are no more points to play for and the ink is drying.
    Hope you are feeling ok today Ed! Like you, we fight on!

• G

Apr 18, 2017 at 9:36 AM

@2, a fair few other people have suggested the same. I don’t think he’s the kind of man who would do that myself, but it’s a popular theory. My personal belief is that this league is a lot harder than a lot of people think it is, and the amount of games is taking it’s toll on our players. We still have a decent side, which just needs a little bit extra to be a Prem side.

• WWSBRD

Apr 18, 2017 at 9:37 AM

Super
    I can see why ud say that but tbh I think Rafa saw it coming before Jan which is why he was fighting so hard to get players in

• carl

Apr 18, 2017 at 9:40 AM

If you think a football comments section full of people who don’t watch games home or away are in any way reflective of the toon army then you are a completely deluded fool. The passionate and football knowledgeable Bobby b, hibbit , martoon type of fan will be at SJP giving their full support to see us across the line. There is no substitute for commitment and effort in playing and supporting. The occasional fan lacks what is required at this time. It’s the same old opposition claim of where were you when we were shite. You’re nowt but a fair weather fan who’s waiting to come out of the woodwork should things go tits up. Well it’s not going to happen and we will be playing in the Premier next season.

• martoon

Apr 18, 2017 at 9:42 AM

I noticed above a tweet from Himanshu Dhingra ?- other bloggers is that our old friend Indian Magpie or am I mistaken?

• WWSBRD

Apr 18, 2017 at 9:44 AM

martoon
    There’s quite often old members of this blog who appear in these articles. I think Dannyo is attached to that NUFC360 account think it’s where u go when u are truly fed up on here….i might look into it

• Wayayman

Apr 18, 2017 at 9:45 AM

Definitely not disastrous. If in-form Fulham beat Huddersfield (who themselves are feeling the pressure now) and we win next Monday then we are up – right?

• catchy in norway

Apr 18, 2017 at 9:49 AM

Ibiza

richie played with Atsu yesterday, but that aside, give the players a run in the team, Gayle is out , pick one and play to his strengths, not many players like being picked then dropped. another point on that is the support players to the forward, they still playing balls as if we have a goal poacher, against leeds we played balls up to Mitro, Murph is the same type of player, but the style changed yesterday.

Diane has no clue what he is doing , for a no 10 he sits way to deep no support at all to the forward, and i have never really seen him spread the play, he looks up and shoots from anywhere.

Yedlin, again no real problem , but it wasn’t his day yesterday but it took 78 mins to change him,

Mitro for Richie was a strange one on 82 mins, one can supply or score going off, it should have been Diame, he may have been tired, but 8 more mins was not going to make that much difference.

Mbemba makes less mistakes than Lascelles, but tries to play and play higher up the pitch.

• martoon

Apr 18, 2017 at 9:50 AM

WWSBRD – Cheers I’ve never realised that about NUFC360 – Dannyo posted a lot of common sense.
    I’m not going to get my head through the door – not only am I on Ian’s approved list but I’m also on carl’s 🙂

• toontaff2

Apr 18, 2017 at 9:51 AM

Thought I had the best seat in the pub, ringside, US Bein Sports, I think!
    What an awful performance!
    Nothing like Friday.
    Yedlin awful.
    Atsu awful.
    Passing poor, too many daft errors.
    Diame – Sissulko in disguise?

• toontaff2

Apr 18, 2017 at 9:52 AM

Was going to play with the traffic, until Butterfield scored for Derby! 😮

• toontaff2

Apr 18, 2017 at 9:54 AM

💡
    Bring in ‘arry Redcap!
    Drat, he’s gone to Brummies :mrgreen:

• one fine day

Apr 18, 2017 at 9:56 AM

Sing in the corner from previous
    Bang on mate
    over the Easter weekend I watched a cracking doco BOCA 3D
    It is a fantastic bit of watching for anyone who just loves the game whoever you support.
    Felt watching it there are lots to compare between Boca fans and us ,other than the trophy cabinate obviously .
    The clips of the bombenara in full throat are spine tingling .. could be the gallowgate minus the yellow and blue .
    The point I am mentioning this…..
    There is one part in the movie when a lifelong fan ,is talking about growing up during a time when they were going through some bleak times and he was thinking of following independiente instead.
    His father hearing of this pulled him aside and put it to him above did he love his family ?
    He replied of course he did.
    His dad asked if mum got ill or was not well what he do .
    He said well as they were sick I’d love them more to make them better .
    His dad said well that’s how it works with Boca when they are like this they need you more than ever .
    Was a bit like Bobby’s(robsons not Bobby bee ?)speech in the way it resonated with me .
    There are plenty on here who should watch it to see what’ it’s like to really support your team no matter what ,not call for sackings four times a season
    Sorry for the long post just got on a roll .

• WWSBRD

Apr 18, 2017 at 9:58 AM

martoon
    Am sure I’ve seen his name on it somewhere and aye I enjoyed his input too
    Haha not sure am as popular as urself mate I might find a better audience on Twitter if i disappear keep out for @WWSBRD up there

• carl

Apr 18, 2017 at 9:59 AM

martoon
    Matey, You’re not on any approved list but someone who displays a true fan consistency. I can’t list everyone but you do display a stability that a fan base needs it’s something to behold. I was there at Portman Road but the lads didn’t turn up on the field. We need to get behind the players that Benitez puts on the field. Keep the faith.

• catchy in norway

Apr 18, 2017 at 10:00 AM

WWS

like sing said, he talked his way into the team and captain job.

and your right, i don’t see that much , and probably even less this season as i only hear most on the radio and see them when there on tv, but what i see with my own eyes is not a captain in any shape or form, for me the manager captains them off the pitch, he is on the training ground pitch doing that job, He needs a captain to do his footballing job first, then keep the team together following instructions on the pitch. i just don’t see that.

he wasn’t the only choice, My choice would have been Hayden, ritchie, or clark , in that order, all 3 are far superior for different reasons.

right now we carry a liability every game

• Nufc-83

Apr 18, 2017 at 10:05 AM

G I think saying we only need 3 or 4 top level players will allow us to consilidate in the prem is wishful thinking. Even with 3 or 4 top level players we are weaker than the teams currently battling relegation in my opinion. We need a good 60m investment and require a top class experience CB. We need a new LB that can defend well but add quality to attack. We need a top quality CM as Hayden and Shelvey are the only two worthy of being disucssed as prem players. We need a top top class Cam/Cf as this is what we are missing most. We need 1 top class winger and one that will allow for sqaud depth. We need 2 Strikers in my opinion certainly one that comes in and is ready to lead the line and the other for sqaud depth.

• one fine day

Apr 18, 2017 at 10:06 AM

• martoon

Apr 18, 2017 at 10:07 AM

carl – Aye I was just joking.
    It must have been a long journey back – what was the feeling like amongst the fans – did they blame the changes?

• carl

Apr 18, 2017 at 10:08 AM

Now is not the time to criticise or scapegoat individual players. The time to review the playing staff will come at the end of the season. “We win and lose as a team”. Clearly we will need a major upgrade throughout the team for the Premier.

• ShirebrookToon

Apr 18, 2017 at 10:09 AM

Personally I think Ritchie should be Captain. He’s got passion and is committed. I’ve noticed he’s not shy of saying something on the pitch.

We miss Clark at the back badly. Mbemba and Clark should partnered at the back as Lascelles seems error prone

• JP...from The Rock

Apr 18, 2017 at 10:09 AM

Morning lads. Feeling better today after Derby drew against Huddersfield late in the game. That has really saved our bacon. Think we will be on fire next monday snd this was just a blip. Rafa will right the wrongs and make the lads focussed for the final hurdles and we can then collectively celebrate leaving this tough league.
    It’s been really hard on all of us but we’ll make it in the end. Hope the fat man realises that we need investment in the summer to improve the quality of players. Diame and Colback are the first two I’d replace.

• ShirebrookToon

Apr 18, 2017 at 10:12 AM

JP

I was fcuking fuming yesterday at the result. Derby did us a massive favour yesterday which helped calm me down.

Today I’m thinking just get behind the lads and roar them home in these last 3 games.

• sing in the corner

Apr 18, 2017 at 10:12 AM

‘One fine day’
    (gonna leave you all behind)??? Is that where you got your username? 🙂
    Apologies if not.

Yeah some of those South American,or Turkish etc fans make the toon army and other British fans seem like ladies at a tea dance. Insane! But ‘passionate’, I will give them that!

• woodsee

Apr 18, 2017 at 10:16 AM

Its frightening how many new players we will need when we go up ,and we will go up.
    Well done to Brighton fully deserved,and truthfully deserve to be champions,Chrissie Hughton wot a legend

• Nufc-83

Apr 18, 2017 at 10:16 AM

And adding them players will only allow us to consolidate. I think you are either believing our players are better than they are or you dont understand the level of the prem which is so much greater than the championship.

We have only a few players who can be considered as prem class players and they would even be lower to bottom half players – they are Richie, Shelvey and Gayle.

• WWSBRD

Apr 18, 2017 at 10:17 AM

catchy
    Lascelles earned the captaincy last season simple as that he was very good when he came in, he was calm, he can talk to a ref and rely messages

The captain doesn’t need to be the best player. Ritchie and Shelvey can’t speak to refs so no can’t be captains, no one wanted Clark until he performed consistently over this season and Hayden was a raw kid who was worse than Colback for the first half of the season

And despite what u think there’s more to what a captain does than on the pitch

Plus radio commentary is awful Ando is incredibly negative way over the top so basing ur opinion on his will give u a negative view on everything

• catchy in norway

Apr 18, 2017 at 10:18 AM

Lascelles is Titus Bramble just as diame is sissoko

• carl

Apr 18, 2017 at 10:20 AM

martoon
    You get hotheads home and away but the majority I saw as in a state of shock but backing Rafa and the team. You really don’t get the call Ando types on the road bitching about us not turning up because of the changes. Though the current focus is on Diame who looked out of sorts I must admit. As a team we really played in fits and starts with Ritchie having an unusually poor game at times he seemed to be trying too much. Fans thinking with us scoring was that we would kick on for the three points. Overall though it was a tired disjointed lacking in confidence sort of performance. A weeks a long time at this stage and Rafa will be working on the training ground.

• Nufc-83

Apr 18, 2017 at 10:20 AM

Lol Lascelles was oustanding last year in the prem and has been relatively consistent this season its so funny after a poor run of form you get idiots like catchy comparing him to Titus bramble.

• sing in the corner

Apr 18, 2017 at 10:23 AM

I am warming to the idea of Ritchie as a skipper option… On the pitch he is a great example with his never say die / work ethic. Speaks well from what I’ve seen. But he would need to cool his head down too.

• JP...from The Rock

Apr 18, 2017 at 10:23 AM

ShirebrookToon- yeah me too man that was very hard to take. We never do things easy which is kinda of a mystery as we always shoot ourselves in the foot. But fear not my fellow fan we will be promoted. Huddersfield will crumble and we with Rafa the Gaffa will rise to the occasion. We have a couple of ‘easy’ games ahead and we should brush them aside to book our players aming the big boys again.

The players and Rafa need our support more than ever and those lucky fans that can make it to the game need to sing their heart out to give them the extra strength they need to see it through. We can’t let them know how scared we are to lose as that negativity will creep in their minds and show on the pitch. We need one voice of deafening passion to fill St James’ and lift the spirits of every player. We are so close to the finish now and our team needs our support more than ever.

Promotion here we come!

• one fine day

Apr 18, 2017 at 10:27 AM

Sing in the corner @ 26
    Definitely maybe was the only cd I had in my car for 5 years I think so yeah you nailed it ?
    It’s also a mantra I find myself muttering every time I see another teams captain holding up silver wear .
    Was born the samè year we won the fairs cup so ..always the optimist
    That I will see us win something other than the texaco cup or Hong Kong seven a side trophy in my lifetime .

• Blackley and Brownlie

Apr 18, 2017 at 10:28 AM

Catchy
    For me, Lascelles is the best CB we’ve had for years because he is such a solid header of the ball. This is such an important part of a CB’s job. If it wasn’t, they wouldn’t get in the team for little lads with more skill at their feet. Poor heading was Colo’s downfall. I’m not so much bothered as to where it’s directed as long as it’s cleared and Lascelles does this routinely. His positional play was alarming for Leeds equaliser but I don’t think he’s found wanting too often.

• catchy in norway

Apr 18, 2017 at 10:28 AM

WWS

that’s only your opinion,

Lascelles canes into a team that was being relegated and made his mouth go, saying the right things, results never changed.

personally i don’t care how he talks to the ref, i want him to do his job for the team and keep them on there toes during the match.

Right now he is un droppable because he has that armband. that’s the only reason.

100% agree with you about the radio, john anderson , wow , but i do use my own eyes too, and i never make my mind up because of what someone else says, if that one everyone should know about me on hear i say what i think, shteve is a very good example and you throw that in my face regularly.

we don’t have a settled squad right now, something is not right in there

• WWSBRD

Apr 18, 2017 at 10:29 AM

One of the captain’s main duties on the pitch is dealing with the ref Ritchie is constantly swearing and shouting at them same with Shelvey it’s where their bookings come from

Refs need to like it captain

• LewSpi v2.0

Apr 18, 2017 at 10:30 AM

Would any of yous welcome John terry to the club on a free for next season?

Could be the leader and experienced head we need next to lascelles

• martoon

Apr 18, 2017 at 10:32 AM

carl @31 – I like that expression ‘call Ando types’ there are a few on here! I like Richie but the first goal was definitely his fault – he had just missed that header and was trying too hard and lost the ball however there were plenty more mistakes after that.