It’s Been Dangerous For Newcastle To Finish A Season Badly

This looks like another poor ending to a season, but we still believe we can get promoted in one of the two automatic promotion spots.

If this thing goes down to a play-off that would be almost impossible to bear for Newcastle fans.

So the players have to really look at themselves in the mirror, take some credit for what but for the last three games has been a really good season – and then play the last three games at or near their best.

If we can do we will be fine – no problem.

Rafa Benitez – could be difficult summer

Rafa will not have wanted this to happen that’s for sure, because he wants momentum going into next season and the summer transfer window.

And over the last few years at Newcastle when we have finished a season badly, it has adversely impacted the start of the next season.

Two good examples of that are the 2013-2014 season and the following season.

Back in 2014 we had done well and were in the upper half of the table at the turn of the year but in our final ten games we lost eight of them and won the other two – 6 points from a possible 30.

And what happened in the next season is that we had a terrible start under Alan Pardew with just 3 points in our first seven games until we won the eighth game 1-0 at home to newly promoted Leicester.

And then that season deteriorated quickly when Alan Pardew surprisingly departed in late December and John Carver was put in charge through the end of the season – a move by Lee Charnley that turned out to almost cost us a relegation.

John did quite well initially but then in the final 11 games of the season we lost nine – eight of them in a row for the first time ever – and the one win was the final game at home to the Hammers when we won 2-0 and only just avoided relegation.

4 points from a possible 33 to finish that season.

🙁

And then Lee Charnley’s next huge blunder was to announce the hiring of  the just sacked Derby manager – Steve McClaren – and the rest is history and that one did cost us relegation.

Steve has to be one of the worst managers in Newcastle’s  history and he has the record to prove it; this is Steve’s league record as manager of Newcastle.

Premier LeaguePlayedWonDrawnLostGFGAGDPoints
2015-20162866162853-2524

We have nothing against Steve personally, he’s just not a good manager and nowhere near what Newcastle needed.

So Rafa will be desperate to overturn this terrible run of results when it seems the pressure has affected  our players and  that’s not good.

If we can win the next three games that will significantly change the mood at Newcastle and what the table looks like from now – we will have gained promotion  easily as the record will show.

But if we struggle over the finish line then it could make it hard to attract the players we need this summer, but hopefully with Rafa as manager we will still hold our own in the Premier League.

We still expect to do well next season under Rafa, but maybe those expectations are way too high.

But they weren’t three 3 games ago when we were still one point above Brighton and looking like we could finish strongly.

🙁

Here are the standings at the top of the Championship at the moment.

PosTeamGamesGDPoints
1Newcastle464594
2Brighton463493
3Reading46485
4Sheffield Wednesday461581
5Huddersfield46-281
6Fulham462880

What do you think?

Will Adam Armstrong Make It At Newcastle?

Loading ... Loading ...

• WWSBRD

Apr 19, 2017 at 4:34 PM

Should be aiming for 3 wins really but then we shouldn’t of lost to Ipswich that’s football though

Think we will be promoted before Barnsley and I think it’ll be Fulham who come up through he play offs. Am aiming to enjoy the end of the season personally reckon we won’t leave hoots waiting too long

• hibbit

Apr 19, 2017 at 4:39 PM

going back up at the first attempt is a great achievement for any team not just us
    it’s took Brighton 30 years

• Bobbybee

Apr 19, 2017 at 4:42 PM

Tuff, so you went to those games, yet only mention it now? Ha ha ha ha. Funny man. You’re on here every match day, stop being a fool. So you go to games to watch one player, but can’t be bothered going to watch NUFC. You’re a joke pal. A liar to boot.
    Nufc83. My anger wasn’t directed at fans not going. It was fans who don’t go but say **** NUFC. NUFC is 99% the fans who go. Like it or not, it is. Don’t take my word, scroll up and read what SBR says. So when you say ****NUFC, you’re saying it to the fans. I responded in kind. If it came across that I was having a dig at fans in general that don’t go, then I apologise unreservedly. I was fuming at the time.

• WWSBRD

Apr 19, 2017 at 4:55 PM

…bit hostile on here

• Clematis

Apr 19, 2017 at 5:07 PM

Can i say ‘well done’ to the EFL for appointing Bobby Maddley as referee for Monday’s crucial game against Preston.

For those who are not aware, Bobby Madley IS A FCUKING HUDDERSFIELD FAN.

Can we be despised by the FA/EFL that much? Has any other team in the country had referees (and linesmen & 4th official) suspended on account of dry-fcuking them?

Pute joke.

• Clematis

Apr 19, 2017 at 5:07 PM

*pure joke.

• WWSBRD

Apr 19, 2017 at 5:14 PM

Clem
    Andrew Madley mate and he’s not done us too bad this season especially against Preston

Is an unnecessarily stupid choice though I agree

• Mister Tuff

Apr 19, 2017 at 5:20 PM

Wow – no need for that abuse not unexpected I have to say.
    I mention my visits to other football grounds and get called a liar. Now he has the effrontery to doubt my post when he has no knowledge of what I do from day to day. I do lots of things which I do not post on here.
    (Hang on – now having cup of tea and sandwich and have Sky News on, will have a curry later)
    I note there is no debate about actually how many times Bobbybee has seen Armstrong play in the last two years – again NOTE 2 years which is what I said in my original post.

Clearly he has not seen him play in the last two years. A lot can happen to a player in two years – so I think it is safe to say his assessments (in the last 2 years) are armchair/dodgy stream assessments.
    Oooh heaven forbid another armchair fan has revealed himself.
    Hahahaha priceless comedy gold.

Got to say though -people can argue/debate the point – no need for the nasty abuse.

• ronaldo aarons

Apr 19, 2017 at 5:21 PM

I hope Fulham don’t go up, would like us to back in for cairney and that would only most likely happen if they are still in the championship.

• Clematis

Apr 19, 2017 at 5:24 PM

Wwsbrd…ooops! I just googled him and realised he ref’d the 6-0 victory over pne in the cup and sent one of their men off.

Still, as he supports hudders as well, as you say it’s insane to do this.

Our promotion will be far more deserved than brighton’s. We play against 15 men each game whilst brighton regularly play against 10…after the ref red cards an opponent after 10 mins.

• Bobbybee

Apr 19, 2017 at 5:31 PM

It’s not abuse Tuff, you’re a fantasist. You don’t even go to Newcastle games, the team you follow, why oh why would you go and watch other teams? You’re on here every match day you clown. Look how you leapt in about the sending offs at Nottingham, because you THOUGHT you were right. If you’d actually been to a game, you would be on get like an excited child. But no, not a mention, until now. Please, explain, how you were watching Coventry and Barnsley whilst on here making silly comments about a Toon game? Seriously mate, give it up. You’re EMBARRASSING yourself. Have I said I’ve seen him at Coventry? No. At Barnsley? No. On the TV, Yes! Honestly, you’re making a fool of yourself, please stop it, my sides are splitting. This is hilarious. Tuff, you don’t do football pal. You live up here and don’t go the home games, so why would anybody believe you’d go put of your way to watch Arma, who you’ve constantly berated simply because I rated him? Never a good word about the kid, but you’d go out of your way to watch him? Ha ha ha ha! This is better than TV. Just give it up please. I’m out of here, my sides can’t take anymore. Pinocchio!

• Nufc-83

Apr 19, 2017 at 5:31 PM

No worries Bobby I can see it’s more of a personal battle going on with mister Tuff lol.

Clematis that’s very harsh and incorrect in my opinion to say we deserve to go up more than Brighton.

• LewSpi v2.0

Apr 19, 2017 at 5:38 PM

Shots fired

• WWSBRD

Apr 19, 2017 at 5:39 PM

ronaldo
    They’ve got their good run of form at the right time and they have a solid squad, just a guess but I think Huddersfield will crumble then it’s just guess work

Clem
    No bother mate easily done

Any decision against us is going to be put down to him being Huddersfield linked huge pressure on him for no reason. But hey the refs down here are awful anyway so won’t be much difference

Daft decision like

• Clematis

Apr 19, 2017 at 5:39 PM

Nufc-83:

Hey, that’s just my opinion, mate. I think Brighton are sh!te. They’ve had about 12 penalties and any number of decisions go their way. And they’re a team of total dirty b@stards.

And i totally respect your opinion 🙂

• Clematis

Apr 19, 2017 at 5:40 PM

Wwsbrd: agreed, bud 🙂

• WWSBRD

Apr 19, 2017 at 5:42 PM

Tbf Brighton get a lot of decision for them whereas we rarely even get the benefit of the doubt…personally I don’t think it’s intentional it’s just the pressure of being watched by so many, better to make no decision than the wrong one

• Mister Tuff

Apr 19, 2017 at 5:46 PM

Hahahaha – further comedy gold.
    Now managed to winkle out an armchair assessor -using the TV.

Now getting accused of berating Armstrong -eh eh – where did that invention come from – like today always said he was a good player.

Going out of my way to watch Armstrong – eh eh – where did that invention come from.

Really cannot debate a point when the replies are made up inventions.

Off post – as you seem to watch a lot of TV -are there any decent programmes you can recommend.

Hahahaha blog comedy at it’s best.

• LewSpi v2.0

Apr 19, 2017 at 5:49 PM

“IN THE RED CORNER…WEIGHING 170 POUNDS, HE LOVES AN AWAY GAME, ITS BOBBYYYYYY…BEEEEE”

“AND IN THE BLUE CORNER…WEIGHING 169 POUNDS, HE HAS FAMILY IN THE SOUTH, ITS MISTERRRR…TUFFFF”

• Nufc-83

Apr 19, 2017 at 5:54 PM

Clematis and Wwsbrd you both could be correct as I have not seen Brighton at all apart from playing us but generally luck will even itself out so that’s why I thought that was a harsh comment.

• Clematis

Apr 19, 2017 at 6:02 PM

Nufc-83:

As you do, i love my club and am blinded/biased towards my team. I’m just spouting off but Brighton will not get any of these decisions in the epl!

• Bobbybee

Apr 19, 2017 at 6:05 PM

No no, before I go. This is just too funny to leave it. Tuff, how are the lads doing up at Kilmarnock? I take it you’ve been there too to check on them. Lmao. How about the kid we bought from Northampton? Seriously, you never had a good word for Arma mate, mainly because I rate him sadly. So to claim, out of the blue, because you made a gaff about armchair fans, that you’ve bothered your backside to go watch him a dozen times is beyond ludicrous. I bet I’m not the only one thinking this either, but maybe they’re too polite to say anything. After all the bull you’ve given me on here, sorry, but I can’t resist. You don’t even watch your own team except, to quote you, on dodgy streams! Honestly Tuff, you may not realise it, but that sounds as believable as Sunlun getting out of trouble. Had Hibbett, who goes to games, or Blackett said it, I could believe it. Those of us who go to games regardless, but not you. No chance whatsoever. Zilch. Zero. If you had, you would’ve leapt on here and broken your neck to tell me how poor he was. On the believable scale it’s 0.5/100. Now listen, despite previous attempts at winding me up, I’ve blanked it. You’re seriously not worth the bother. I’m not having a dig either, I’m simply wetting my pants at such a whopper. Never mentioned until you realise you’d dropped yet another clanger. But instead of leaving it, you chose to dig deeper. Please, for you own credibility, stop now. I’m going now. For my sins of laughing at you I’ve just took a tumble, so call it Karma if you want. I’m gone. No need for you to carry this on because I won’t be reading it. Know when to stop. Thanks for the giggle though, although I’m paying for it now. Enjoy my suffering like I enjoyed yours. Let’s call it quits eh? Game over.

• WWSBRD

Apr 19, 2017 at 6:06 PM

I don’t mean to take anything away from them they have certainly earned promotion and the plaudits, not their fault refs give them decisions

Except for their captain the full back he’s a nasty little thing. He’s one of those I can kick hell outta u but if u sneeze near me am falling over crying

• Bobbybee

Apr 19, 2017 at 6:11 PM

You just don’t stop. I watch him on TV you clown because when he’s playing I’m generally at OUR game watching the team I support. Are you really that dim?
    Run along pinnochio, nobody believes a word you say. How can I watch Newcastle and Barnslwy/Coventry at the same time. Although you seem to manage it! Ha ha ha ha!
    Right, gone before you can come back with any more BS. See ya Pinnochio, watch that nose.

• Clematis

Apr 19, 2017 at 6:13 PM

Wwsbrd:

Bruno? The nob with the beard of bees? Aye, pure cnut. 🙂

• WWSBRD

Apr 19, 2017 at 6:18 PM

Clem
    Aye sounds like him. I do not like him rest of the teams pretty good but he’s just what u said he is haha

• Jail for Ashley

Apr 19, 2017 at 6:21 PM

What a shame ”The board” decided promotion could be achieved without further spending not taking account at all the price put on lost momentum and Rafas trust, they done it when they instilled Carver, thought they were saving a few quid by putting the cones man in charge and the disastrous and poisonous situation it caused couple with the hiring of the Wally cost them £130M, when will they learn.

• Clematis

Apr 19, 2017 at 6:22 PM

🙂 🙂 🙂

• Mister Tuff

Apr 19, 2017 at 6:23 PM

Bobbybee – please provide evidence that I’ve slagged off Armstrong – you just make stuff up.

Come on you’ve made the allegation now back it up.

Really cannot believe what you churn out about NUFC.

However, I would tap your knowledge on other matters. Are these any use when watching the telly.

• Jail for Ashley

Apr 19, 2017 at 6:24 PM

Just because Arma isn’t playing in the Championship doesn’t mean he won’t play under Rafa in the PL, if we’re chugging along nicely in tenth by January there’s no reason why he can’t be recalled and play a role in the second half, however he might never play under Rafa again unless he signs him at Arsenal or West Ham.

• Clematis

Apr 19, 2017 at 6:25 PM

JFA:

Yeah, equally gutted when the January window passed us by.

Fingers crossed we can get promotion confirmed on Monday.

Hopefully, plenty of funds will be made available for next season without any interference from Old Man Carr.

• WWSBRD

Apr 19, 2017 at 6:38 PM

Think Armstrong will have to do some work before he plays for us next year…he probably needs to be great straight away or he’ll get the local lad treatment pretty sharpish and thats never good

• ShirebrookToon

Apr 19, 2017 at 7:14 PM

Monday nights game can’t come quick enough for me. Along with May the 7th too. It’s been a long hard season and this will be a great experience for the players to have under their belts for next season no matter where we go.

• ShirebrookToon

Apr 19, 2017 at 7:17 PM

Talking of May 7th if anyone has a spare ticket for the game give me a shout

• Jail for Ashley

Apr 19, 2017 at 7:20 PM

What a shame we won’t go up as Champions but that’ll be quickly forgotten if Rafa gets a few quid to spend and tells us all is rosy, just hope the fact that ”The Board” put money before prestige and prizes hasn’t caused more damage than just not finishing first, it may well have caused irreparable damage to the relationship between Rafa and ”The Board”, just think how angry and peed off we are with the disappointment, what might it have done to a serial winners pride and thought process.

• Jail for Ashley

Apr 19, 2017 at 7:21 PM

Shirebrook,
    Did you try that Newcastle Face Value tickets site

• ShirebrookToon

Apr 19, 2017 at 7:23 PM

Jail.

It’s not written in stone yet. There’s still a very slim chance of us being champions. But 2nd will do just fine.

• ShirebrookToon

Apr 19, 2017 at 7:24 PM

Jail,

Yeah tried it. No joy so far but fingers are crossed.

• Jail for Ashley

Apr 19, 2017 at 7:26 PM

Shirebrook,
    Brighton lose two and draw while we win all three, mmmmmmmmm

• ShirebrookToon

Apr 19, 2017 at 7:33 PM

Jail

You never know. Brighton are away to Norwich. They’ve also got Villa in the last game. Agent Bruce will be on hand if we need him lol