Will Adam Armstrong Make It At Newcastle?

While Newcastle’s promotion effort comes to what we hope will be “mission accomplished”, we will take a quick look at one of our top youngsters.  Adam Armstrong has spent the entirety of this season on loan at Barnsley though we have to admit with disappointing results.

Hopes were high for the local lad to push on and show discernible progress after his encouraging loan spell at Coventry the season before.  At Coventry, Adam bagged 20 goals and some in spectacular fashion.  Though this season, not so much.

Adam Armstrong – Did you see my debut goal at Preston?

While his flair for class finishes was still present, it was on display far too little to still be as encouraged about Adam’s future in the first team.

In over 30 appearances for the Tykes, 20 of which were starts, Adam has only managed 6 goals in the Championship.  The step up in competition coupled with the drop in production is quite concerning.

We would expect that Adam will again be loaned to a Championship side next season (though probably not Sunderland) before Rafa gives him a shot in the first team.  We hope that Adam can push on and become a key member of Newcastle’s future.

So far the evidence of that has been conflicting, but he still has time to become a Geordie legend.

Here is a glimpse of what Adam can bring.  It’s his debut goal for Barnsley.

Will Adam Armstrong Make It At Newcastle?

Loading ... Loading ...

• ronaldo aarons

Apr 19, 2017 at 12:01 PM

Posted on previous thread
    De Jong is fit but obviously it’s just a matter of time. He’s played a few games this year and recently completed a 90 mins but it’s too much of a risk. I’d rather move him on as I think injuries have taken its toll on him.

Would loan longstaff and barlaser to championship clubs next year, sell de Jong and bring in someone like cairney if Fulham don’t get promoted.

• Mag52

Apr 19, 2017 at 12:03 PM

For me, Dummett and Anita to be kept, and Armstrong to be given his chance in the first eleven. If he’s good enough, he’s old enough. Now’s the time to see if he is.

• ronaldo aarons

Apr 19, 2017 at 12:05 PM

Would love Armstrong to succeed for us, don’t see him getting an opportunity next year with us. I’d actually consider sending him on loan to a club abroad actually. We were linked with solanke earlier in the season which in my eyes spells trouble for Armstrong if the links were genuine. Would prefer Armstrong to solanke.

• catchy in norway

Apr 19, 2017 at 12:06 PM

21catchy in norway // Apr 19, 2017 at 12:05 PM

well done hoots, he embodies the spirit of the game, total gentlemen and deserves his shot and then some.

players is like to leave, Collback, Diame, goofy, sells, Lascelles at a push.

I would Keep Anita if He wants to stay.

• G

Apr 19, 2017 at 12:09 PM

I actually think Armstrong looks average at best, however, I will be over the moon if he can make me eat my words.

• Our Toon

Apr 19, 2017 at 12:10 PM

Jail

To clarify I’m on a work / holiday trip in Malaysia, excuse me for tuning in to see how my team is doing

You keep going on about the January window, the main target was McCarthy. 20m wasted as he’s injured

• martoon

Apr 19, 2017 at 12:12 PM

Tuff from previous – If we can get one more win then Huddersfield & Reading don’t have to lose even 1 draw and they can’t get enough points. In fact because of our superior goal difference even if Reading won all 3 games they would sill have to score 30+ goals!

• ronaldo aarons

Apr 19, 2017 at 12:22 PM

Armstrong looks average in a team not set up to play to his strengths or anybody able to pick out his runs. Put players in similar set ups and they too would look average at best.

• AncientC

Apr 19, 2017 at 12:24 PM

Overall, Harry Kane played 56 games out on loan with 14 goals. A goal every 4 games.

Armstrong out on loan has played 71 games with 26 goals. A goal every 2.73 games.

• ronaldo aarons

Apr 19, 2017 at 12:29 PM

One time I saw Kane on loan at Norwich I think, it was one and only time I saw him before he played for Spurs 1st time and I said to myself this kid is poor lol! Think I just saw a bad game!

• toon kk

Apr 19, 2017 at 12:30 PM

Our toon
    What’s Malaysia like? Hope your having a good work/holiday.

As for the January transfer window, it’s all speculation atm I hope we keep away from injury prone players.

• Mister Tuff

Apr 19, 2017 at 12:43 PM

Armstrong – decent enough player and clearly above average -at his age.
    Must say time date now it probably does look like he’s probably not going to be used next year.

Despite “armchair assessments” by some on here -who rant and rave about him – I would ask the simple question :-
    Q. How many times have you attended his games in the last 24 months – for England, Coventry and Barnsley.

Probably – none is the answer.
    So from a couple of years back not many will be able to make an accurate assessment of where exactly he stands at the moment.
    Repetition after repetition, rant after rant does not add much to any assessment of the lad.

Have to say though folk are entitled to their opinions without doubt, sometimes they are right and sometimes they are wrong.

As it stands at the moment though does not look like he’ll be playing PL football next season.

• ronaldo aarons

Apr 19, 2017 at 12:46 PM

Mister tuff
    Nobody is ranting or raving about him

• Mister Tuff

Apr 19, 2017 at 12:54 PM

ronaldo – not today but previously.

• toon kk

Apr 19, 2017 at 12:54 PM

Mister tuff.
    It’s great experience for Armstrong, getting regular on loan football. I’m sure he’ll be given a chance in the premier league at some point. I can’t comment to much I haven’t seen him play but sometimes a player can look much better when playing at there level.

• Rotonda heights

Apr 19, 2017 at 12:54 PM

i think to be fair barnsley are not a ”footballing” team so armstrong will suffer there.

• martoon

Apr 19, 2017 at 12:55 PM

Tuff @12 – I have an inkling who you are referring to 🙂
    Actually you make a good point that none of us have probably seen him play while on loan. However nor has Rafa who presumably gets reports or sends somebody to watch him.

• Jail for Ashley

Apr 19, 2017 at 12:55 PM

They will be soon 😮

• Hail Wor Ashley

Apr 19, 2017 at 1:00 PM

Armstrong had a season very similar to NUFC. Pre-January great, on track, upwards trajectory, afterwards, not so much.

Have to say if Rafa was intent on only playing one way, then Armstrong would surely have been a better deputy for Gayle than our other options.

• JP...from The Rock

Apr 19, 2017 at 1:15 PM

Yeah Hail you’re absolutely right. I would prefer Armstrong over Diame any day of the week. He could fight with Ayoze for the number 10 spot. Shame his progress has stalled after such a promising start.

• toon kk

Apr 19, 2017 at 1:34 PM

Ive not seen Armstrong play but every report is he seems a very good player, surely his skills would come in very useful in our team now.

• LGFUAD21

Apr 19, 2017 at 1:36 PM

2 wins from 3 games is what seals it. Not great news given our form.

It’s 1995 all over again.

Diame is our weakness. He’s lazy. Dont ever want to see him play for us again. Maybe we can sell him to Spurs

• Essex Geordie Bill

Apr 19, 2017 at 1:40 PM

^The other striker on loan who is currently banging them in is Toney.

Perhaps he has a future at the club as well.

We have 3 young potentials if you include Heardman as well.

• SA Toon

Apr 19, 2017 at 1:48 PM

Not sure that we need as much as 2 wins. Even if Reading win all 3 of their last games, by my calculation we only need one win to shut them out. Huddersfield has a game in hand, but even if they win all their games we still need only a win and 2 draws to get home. Of course, if either of them drop points then the whole equation changes again. I’m nervous as hell, but quietly confident!

• ronaldo aarons

Apr 19, 2017 at 1:52 PM

I like the look of toney and you can see he has talent when you see him play. Only thing is he has yet to play championship level yet, that should be his next step.

• SPRINGY

Apr 19, 2017 at 1:57 PM

If that goal was scored by aguero or another top striker they would say it was a flash of genius…..pity he’s not here now could do with a bit pace up front and a finisher….but im sure his time will come…..just hope its with us not against us

• The next Mike Williamson

Apr 19, 2017 at 2:20 PM

He’s still scored a goal every 330 minutes which isn’t terrible for a guy who has just turned 20. I think he’ll do much better next season if he’s at team that play to his strengths. The only players doing better at his age are Rashford & Abraham, who both have superior strength 7 pace but not much else. He’ll be better than Rashford in a year or two who is nothing more than the next Wellbeck, already playing to his highest level. Armstrong has a brain and will improve and learn.

• Mister Tuff

Apr 19, 2017 at 2:21 PM

martoon – I just make a general observation nothing specific.
    Rafa – did make an assessment of Armstrong in the close season -and obviously made a judgement. Probably I would suggest a more informed judgement than any of us could make.

• Mister Tuff

Apr 19, 2017 at 2:29 PM

Making a comparison -if it’s possible with different types of players.
    Armstrong is 20, Rashford is 19 and Dele Alli has just turned 21 a few days ago.

If I had to choose 2 out of three I know which 2 I would select.
    Rumours today suggest Spurs are offering Alli a £40 million contract to keep him at Spurs.

This is the same Dele Alli that Carr recommended – everything was in place to sign him – and SJP even had press releases ready – but some ham shanker quibled about his wages (probably Penfold) and the rest is history.

• catchy in norway

Apr 19, 2017 at 2:32 PM

Goofy has improved immensely, but he is not good enough 2700 minutes, 5 goals 3 assists, Atsu who does not get a run in the team, 1300 minutes, 3 goals 3 assists.

Diame, keeps getting chances to play no10, played 2294 minutes and got 3 goals and 3 assists, Perez has played 2039 minutes 6 goals 5 assists.

• catchy in norway

Apr 19, 2017 at 2:41 PM

Its hard to compare players, no 2 are alike, looking at goal stats from players in different teams is pointless, because team tactics come into play, team mates come into play.

i think he would have better staying here

• Bobbybee

Apr 19, 2017 at 2:53 PM

Having calmed down, I return. What do I see? Tuff talking about Armstrong and Armchair assessments.
    Tell you what Tuff, I’ve seen Arma play in the flesh many many more times than you’ve seen the first team play in the flesh over the last three years. Mine ain’t ‘armchair assessment’, but I’m curious as to what yours is re anything NUFC?
    Arma – and this is from what I’ve actually seen – is the best prospect we’ve had for years. I’d say since Gazza actually. It’s that simple. The best.
    From what I’ve seen on TV since, he was awesome at Coventry, who played to his strengths, which is running through the channels and getting behind defences. They did well after he left I notice.
    At Barnsley, they play lump it football. Not suited at all to his set of skills. When I’ve seen them, he’s made some incredible runs, but pulls up frustrated time after time. Said in January we should’ve brought him back and Gayle’s injury shows the point up.
    He turned twenty in February I think so is still a young lad. When he is given the ball properly he generally scores. His finishing is his strongest point. Goals from everywhere.
    He’s not the finished product and how this loan has helped I’m yet to be convinced. The argument that he will have learned how to play without getting service doesn’t do it for me, but time will tell.
    From what I’ve seen – physically in the flesh – he would score more in the Gayle role than Gayle because he’s a natural finisher. Had we kept him I think we would be up already because we would’ve had a natural replacement for Gayle, but hey ho, there you go.
    Let me remind you what Rafa said about Arma. ‘He’ s a young lad with a great future in the game.

• Toonces

Apr 19, 2017 at 2:54 PM

There are many posts about the minimum return we might need in the next 3 games to secure promotion – example: reading or huddersfield won’t win all their games so we probably only need to win one more or similar talk. While this is fine for academic discussion one could argue that this is a cause for the malaise the team seems to be currently in for the past 6 matches. No sense of urgency because we just need to do the minimum and we still have 3 more games to get it done. Well this might in fact allow us to scrape over the line it is definitely not a winning attitude.

• Bobbybee

Apr 19, 2017 at 2:59 PM

Eek! Touched the wrong button 🙂 Carry on. It would be unfair of me to put pressure of promotion on young shoulders in a first full season. I want to get promoted with EXPERIENCED players.
    So, not written off by a million miles. Stick him in with Shelvey picking his runs and I’ll gamble on him scoring in the PL. My judgement being on what I’ve seen. With my eyes.
    I might be wrong, that’s football. You can’t compare him to players his age getting the service to their strengths. That would show a lack of understanding in the game really. Every player is different. But, like I say, from my own eyes, watching live, he has everything it takes to go all the way.

• Bobbybee

Apr 19, 2017 at 3:12 PM

Toonces, said at the break for internationals that there would be some crazy results and it would go down to the wire. Lucky guess eh. Ironically – but unlikely – we could lose every game and still go up. Sooner get the points and be safe though 🙂 The meltdown the other night was predictable, only to see Huddersfield blow up as well. Points collected earlier in the season standing us in good stead and I still think we’ll go up.

• hibbit

Apr 19, 2017 at 3:15 PM

the same one’s writing Arma off are same fools that pick a MoM from a radio commentary never seen him or the game but think there experts
    unlike bobby i think this loan has added to his game
    it.s been a very long time since this club had a prospect like him !!!

• G

Apr 19, 2017 at 3:20 PM

Bobby @ 32/34. I really hope you are right, I have seen him play quite a bit for the kids (I know, not really a comparisson), at Coventry and at Barnsley (Agree that Barnsley are not set up to his strengths). To me he looks like a player that would suit League 1 or 2, but struggle to progress. As I said earlier though, I would be delighted if that comment comes back and bites me on the backside, as I do love to see talent progress at the Toon.

• Bobbybee

Apr 19, 2017 at 3:21 PM

Well said Hibbett. We can agree to disagree on this loan, although, like I said, I see the argument about the loan and it could prove right, just I’m yet to be convinced that’s all. I am open to it though marra. Can’t wait to see him making those killer runs with Shelvey picking him out. Games I watched with the U23’s, with him and De Jong together, showed what a good player feeding him can do. We’ll see anyway. We’ve seen him play mate, which is why we rate him so highly. Strange that innit? 🙂

• Bobbybee

Apr 19, 2017 at 3:28 PM

G, the fact that he’s scored in the Championship without proper service says a lot about the kid. The service at Barnsley – from what I’ve seen – has been shocking. Like we played him under Pardew. Long high balls to a lad his size marked by a six-six giant is doomed to failure. Criminal in fact. His finishing is what makes him what he is. Look at his goals for our kids, U23’s, England youth and Coventry and you see not just the quantity, but the quality of those goals. Definitely top class finishing and so many different types. His gaols for England youth, all levels, are better than one in two. Closer to one a game. Impressive.

• Bobbybee

Apr 19, 2017 at 3:30 PM

aaargh. Taxi service required again. I will return after this enforced shopping trip. Still, I do drink all the coffee so fair do’s. 🙂