This Man Is The Low Key Unlikely Hero At Newcastle

We’ve made no secret of the fact we like 34 year-old Daryl Murphy a lot, because of his complete professionalism and he’s such a team player.

He realizes he takes second place to the team and that’s not always true with footballers these days.

And while he hasn’t played much for Newcastle this term he still has six goals for us and Rafa has pointed out just how important this man is to Newcastle both on and off the field.

Daryl never moaned about not playing for Newcastle for months and Rafa pointed out how he always gives 100% in training and how impressed he’s been with the experience and maturity of the Irish International.

Daryl Murphy – experience, leadership and calmness

Daryl has come out of his first season at Newcastle with his reputation actually enhanced and his former club Ipswich and other Championship clubs would just love to have this guy on loan for next season and it may even happen.

We paid £3.5M for him from Ipswich Town but in the big scheme of things – we will start to get around £140M a year if we are promoted back to the Premier League – that’s nothing and he’s in fact been a good buy.

Mike Ashley please take note.

You cannot judge a single financial transaction (transfer) on its own, which Newcastle have done too many times before Rafa arrived.

We didn’t sign some players we should have signed for the short-term – and that’s just one reason we haven’t been successful.

Here’s what Rafa has said about Daryl Murphy when asked how important his presence has been this season – as reported in the Chronicle:

“Not just his age but his quality and experience in the Championship too,”

“On the first day after I stayed, I am told: ‘You don’t know the Championship.’ Some said: ‘Will Rafa will be good enough?’”

“You need the people in the Championship to manage situations like that.”

“Like in the 94th minute of a game when you should keep the ball and not give the opposition the chance to play a long ball.”

(Big hint about Leeds equalizer).

“Players with this experience can help.”

“You need a balance between young players, hungry with motivation, and those who can calm people.”

Well said Rafa and that’s also a communication to Mike Ashley.

There’s also got to be a short-term strategy as well as a long-term strategy in place; at Newcastle it’s always been a long term strategy under Mike Ashley.

That’s changed under Rafa this season.

There’s nothing like having a man in charge at Newcastle who is one of the most knowledgeable men in world football.

It also helps a lot when Rafa shares the complete passion for football, you see all the time on Tyneside

We should be so lucky.

🙂

• LewSpi v2.0

Apr 22, 2017 at 9:12 AM

Rafa is being very clever with his media releases this recent week.

As you say Ed he gives a little nudge to Ashley here in preparation for the summer, reminding him the whole team can’t be only just out of nappies.

As well as yesterday handing it over to Andrew Madley to prove he isn’t bias. Rafa’s right in Madleys head. Very crafty.

• ShirebrookToon

Apr 22, 2017 at 9:26 AM

These are great tactics by Rafa. All eyes on you mr Madley for Monday nights game. Don’t be a bias tw@t now!

• sing in the corner

Apr 22, 2017 at 9:58 AM

FACT!! 🙂

• Slank

Apr 22, 2017 at 10:11 AM

There are only heroes if we gain promotion. If we fail they are all villains.

It’s a bold move if you succeed. It’s a foolish move if you fail. It’s always been like this especially the media.

• ShirebrookToon

Apr 22, 2017 at 10:16 AM

Alreet sing calm down man, no need to shout lol

• sing in the corner

Apr 22, 2017 at 10:27 AM

SfT
    ha ha sorry mate! 🙂

I see you were calling for Mitro to start Monday.
    I think it’s a tight call between him and Murph again.
    Murph scored.. I think it would be tough on him again to be benched..
    Whoever starts, the other’s job is to go hell for leather to make an impact off the bench, as neither do a full game usually.

• LewSpi v2.0

Apr 22, 2017 at 10:33 AM

Mitro scored both in the 2-1 game and and 2 in the 6-0 game against Preston this season, he’s nailed on to start for me, he’ll be up for it

• ShirebrookToon

Apr 22, 2017 at 10:34 AM

Sing

Mitro has looked a different player these past few games and has made a difference in games. May have been for nothing but that’s not his fault

• sing in the corner

Apr 22, 2017 at 10:43 AM

Both good points..
    But for me Murph has done well when he got his chance over the season, generally scored when he’s been given the nod. Mitro has been up and down, and I don’t think he’s got the positional intelligence of Murphy. Not as good at putting the ball in the net either..
    Mitro has looked better coming off the bench when I’ve seen him.

• AncientC

Apr 22, 2017 at 10:48 AM

Feeling thoroughly shamed today, and as should all of us. It’s like the Spice Girls used to say “Zig-A-Zig-Ah…” I would firstly like to apologise on behalf of the blog, Newcastle fans, and the existent scourge of humanity itself… we wholeheartedly regret not living up to the expectations of ‘magscar.’ And, in the infamous words of Nick Clegg himself – “Sorry.” (Sorry for the BP oil spill too.) On a lighter note, magscar, would you like a cookie?

magscar // Apr 22, 2017 at 8:15 AM

“After my self imposed rest from the blog have begun to dip my toes in the water recently to guage how fellow fans are handling the recent hiccups.

As I wasn’t able to watch match on Easter Monday I made mistake of reading comments on here instead – not for the fainthearted.

In general blog is much the same but without the intense infighting that became the proverbial straw for me. Some regulars missing Lilongwe, Betty Expat and odd new(er) name but ruck between Bobby and Tuff made me feel straight at home ?

Was going to include Jib amongst the missing but then he turned up tanned and ready for the fray.

Very sorry to see Ed’s latest update and marvel at his strength and resolve to keep blog going during his latest treatments which i hope work for him.

As to where we are now I hadn’t anticipated it becoming such a close run affair way back at beginning of October when i gave up on here. Huddersfield had then hit the buffers and Norwich and Villa were off pace – but when did we ever do easy. Still confident but we need to cut out the stupid individual errors and concentrate for 96 minutes or whatever Ref decides to impose!

Can’t say that I have enjoyed much of the fare served up at Home but accept promotion was and is the be and end all. Next season if in PL we won’t be able to afford many reverses at Home as our Away form won’t be as imperious as it has been (until recently anyway)

Don’t think Brighton will blow it although Villa game could be awkward i don’t see them giving Bristol City 2 goals start ( unless Stockdale is still feeling generous). Huddersfield have tough game today against best side seen at SJP this season and not an easy run in so fingers crossed that we get across that line sooner rather than later.

Oh and i see the multiples sideshow still rumbles on .

Catch you all maybe after a further 6 months or at start of a shiny new season when we parade all our new signings and hopes ? “

• Lindisfarne

Apr 22, 2017 at 11:07 AM

I would like to see Mitro start but I think Mondays game is a no risk, do not lose affair where the experience of Murphy and Hanley maybe considered preferable. Then hopefully take a win into the away game, four nights later with some of the younger ones. Not staring Clarke will be another risk avoidance decision, but I don’t know if Colback will be utilised also as Hayden is getting back to match sharpness. Unfortunately, I think we will see the return of Diame but hopefully for one of his better performances where he closes down high up the pitch.

Murphy
    Gouffran–Diame–Ritchie
    Shelvey–Hayden
    Dummett–Hanley–Lascelles–Anita
    Darlow

Bring Mitro on as replacement, or in front two if in need. Then shred Cardiff with an attacking assault.

• magscar

Apr 22, 2017 at 11:12 AM

Ancientc
    No need to apologise. When i said blog much the same but without the intense infighting it was to say that it was thus improved sorry if you didn’t grasp that.

Seems to be plenty of football chat which is what i like whether or not i agree with opinion. Sorry if you thought it was all for me i never did.

Hadn’t realised you were responsible for BT spill but nice to have an apology if a bit delayed 😉

Not sure why i would like a cookie – i usually wipe them off computer every few days .

• magscar

Apr 22, 2017 at 11:16 AM

Oh and thanks for the cut and paste. I can’t use computer after a W7 reinstal recently lost password so am on tablet and after all these months couldn’t recall how to get it to paste.

• AncientC

Apr 22, 2017 at 11:30 AM

magscar, you have set a new standard in grandiose – never worry yourself. Very entertaining. I hope I have not dragged you back into communicating on the blog. Perish the thought. I mean, where would the blog be, if everybody just attempted to participate, instead of sitting in the peanut gallery.

• magscar

Apr 22, 2017 at 11:40 AM

Ancientc
    I don’t recall many chats with you over the years so i am sure i haven’t been missed by you and of course it is reciprocated.

For many years, in fact since blog began, i sat in what you dismissively call the peanut gallery to get my NUFC fix. I am sure Ed appreciates the hits he gets from those who for whatever reason don’t contribute but tune in. I have some time on my hands for reasons not worth going into and felt like posting again. Whether i choose to continue or not is as likely to be affected by those reasons so relax and don’t blame yourself.

Remember if you don’t like the poster and there is nothing addressed to you just skip over – i do

• magscar

Apr 22, 2017 at 11:47 AM

Anyway – Apart from my error in my brief reintroduction I ventured some views on our Home form and on current prospects of us Brighton and Huddersfield. Sorry if they weren’t up to spec and unworthy of any comment themselves. Clearly must do better if I wish to participate again but I am rusty.

• AncientC

Apr 22, 2017 at 11:49 AM

magscar – just remember, if everybody preferred reading over contributing, there wouldn’t be much content to read. It is completely your choice; however.

• magscar

Apr 22, 2017 at 12:01 PM

Ancientc

I hadn’t forgotten and fully appreciate that regular contributors are vital to the blog. There was concern this time last year that Ed might close blog if we went down. I recalled that he hadn’t last time so wasn’t unduly worried but the infighting that was such a common occurrence on here and his then health might have made a difference.

Anyway i have really been encouraged to join in again after your welcoming stance – now where did I put my peanuts.

• magscar

Apr 22, 2017 at 12:04 PM

Anyway I will have to go out soon so it is safe to go back in the water if anyone is worried 🙂

• LewSpi v2.0

Apr 22, 2017 at 12:04 PM

It’s so nice to see everyone getting along 🙂

• hibbit

Apr 22, 2017 at 12:05 PM

AncientC
    and that’s the perfect way to encourage posters back to the blog i don think !!!!

• Jail for Ashley

Apr 22, 2017 at 12:06 PM

Ed did indeed close the blog down when we were relegated last, a big part of my life for better or worse would be affected if this place closed down 😮

• hibbit

Apr 22, 2017 at 12:06 PM

i don’t think !!!!

• magscar

Apr 22, 2017 at 12:09 PM

Jail

As I recall it was temporary (!) and to do with funding for his server(s) which was resolved (but wasnt being helped by our relegation then).

• magscar

Apr 22, 2017 at 12:11 PM

Sorry ? not ! Didn’t mean to sound emphatic as well as grandiose. Rusty fingers 🙂

• Lindisfarne

Apr 22, 2017 at 12:11 PM

We can tell hibbit!!

• cyprus

Apr 22, 2017 at 12:14 PM

Ed my man
    Imagine you have one successful international player and another who hasn’t even played in the PL and is not exactly an up and coming star either.

Who would you start?

The starting 11 vs Leeds should not have been tinkered with Rafa. Come on man. Seriously. No more experiments till we get those three points.

• AncientC

Apr 22, 2017 at 12:26 PM

hibbit, I will leave the sycophancy to you. Not my style. 😉

• magscar

Apr 22, 2017 at 12:28 PM

Rafa’s rotation has become an increasingly touchy subject. Some i get such as
    No competion Dummet
    Vital to team Clark Shelvey and Ritchie
    Injury Hayden Gayle etc

There will be other reasons as determined by opposition, home or away, performance in training, fitness stats frequency of games.

Despite recognising these and that Rafa has first hand knowledge and the pedigree i do wonder at some of his changes. Ipswich did seem 1or 2 too many notwithstanding so soon after Leeds but i am prepared to go with Rafa’s judgement and that his few mistakes are not usually repeated.

Having said that our home performances sometimes have tested me somewhat 🙁

Let’s just go up and i can stop having one eye on Huddersfield as in recent weeks

• AncientC

Apr 22, 2017 at 12:30 PM

All in all. Good to see you back, magscar, if you will be dropping in more often.

• AncientC

Apr 22, 2017 at 12:32 PM

Fulham 21/10 to beat Huddersfield. Surprised at those odds. Anyways, back later to celebrate Huddersfield tanking.

• magscar

Apr 22, 2017 at 12:35 PM

Ancientc

Thank you. You were not connected to why i stopped and there are reasons why i find myself on here so not sure whether i will be able to or want to stay on much as yet. I have enjoyed our banter but that is not why i came back on. I much prefer the football chat but will fight my corner 🙂

• Mister Tuff

Apr 22, 2017 at 12:39 PM

Without doubt some of Rafa’s tinkering has been hard to understand and some of it probably wrong.
    However, as others have pointed out he’s playing the percentages and so far this season he has a winning strategy/a better strategy than others -hence our current position in the league and I’ve no doubt promotion.
    Next season will allow more meaningful debates on the quality of football we get.