Rafa Delivers Simple Message Of Success To His Players

Rafa Benitez is an extremely pragmatic and hard-working man and after only getting one point from the last three games he spent last week coaching and talking to the players about what they did wrong at Ipswich in the shocking 3-1 defeat.

He also delivered a simple message on how they can become successful.

The Ipswich game was one of our worst displays on the road this season and it followed one of our best displays at home against Leeds United who we completely outplayed.

We didn’t get the 1-0 win because right at the end of extra time some of our players lost their concentration and we conceded a sloppy goal – another sloppy goal.

2 more points dropped.

A dapper looking Rafa Benitez

There was nothing much wrong with Newcastle in the previous Leeds United game so the Ipswich mess must have been caused in part by a lack of concentration, which is a big no-no and how we can easily concede goals.

That’s especially true at the higher levels of European football.

Rafa has been getting the lads back to basics over the last few days and he wants the mistakes to be cut out against the Lilywhites tomorrow night at St. James’ Park.

A win in that game will take us back to the Premier League – a draw will not.

Rafa has talked about his target for this season and at the end of his comments he makes the point that it’s all up to us in any case – whatever happens:

“My target was always to try to go up. It doesn’t matter to me the position, so the main thing is just to make sure we finish our job.”

“I am sure that everything is fine if we go up. In six months’ time, nobody will remember if we won or lost any games, just that we were promoted, that was the target.”

“I always talk about experience and in this case, stats and history if you want.”

“In the last five years, you haven’t had too many teams going straight up – just one.”

“So that shows how difficult it is for the teams who were relegated.”

“It’s just so simple: it depends on us and if we work hard and play well and we are a little bit lucky sometimes, we will be there.”

The last eight games have given us some poor results although after the International break we had two great home wins against Wigan and Burton Albion – who beat Leeds United 2-1 at home yesterday.

We thought things would turn around after those two stellar home wins and we could maybe win the next six games and win the Championship.

But it was not be – the lads have put the fans through the wringer again.

It looks very difficult now for us to win the Championship – unless Brighton collapse (they wont) – but we are completely OK with that and as long as we are promoted – hopefully tomorrow night at about 9:45pm.

Then Rafa can start concentrating on winning some real trophies.

Howay The Lads!!

How Will Newcastle Fare Against Preston?

View Results
Loading ... Loading ...

• Bobbybee

Apr 23, 2017 at 7:38 PM

I reckon with a full week of working with the lads Rafa will have them fully prepared for this huge game on Monday night. He’ll want promotion on the first time of asking and not leave it to a later date. From five minutes from the end of the Derby game, Huddersfield fans have gone from “We’re coming for you, we’re coming for you, Newcastle United, we’re coming for you” to wondering if they can stay in the play off places! Funny game innit? 🙂

• sing in the corner

Apr 23, 2017 at 7:52 PM

Certainly is Bobby. That’s what’s made the Championship interesting this season. Results not as predictable as you may have thought,bad there are flawed teams at the top end of this league. We’ve got away with a few horror shows and still have a hope of finishing top!
    Won’t be this way next term. You pay for your mistakes more French than not.

• Mag52

Apr 23, 2017 at 7:55 PM

Those French mistakes – Not good at all.

• Bobbybee

Apr 23, 2017 at 8:08 PM

Sing, very true. That’s why I kept encouraging people to just enjoy this season, instead of searching for reasons to criticise that were really unjustified. We went for promotion and got it. Next season we won’t win anywhere near as many games, so God help the blog! Meltdown junction! I’ve thoroughly enjoyed winning games and cared not one jot how we did it. A win’s a win in my books. 🙂

• toon kk

Apr 23, 2017 at 8:13 PM

I’m sure Rafa will have us up for the game, our players will be nervous no doubt. I’m not sure who’ll score for us but hopefully we’ll be celebrating a win and promotion.

• Bobbybee

Apr 23, 2017 at 8:14 PM

Oh well, time to eat and then I might watch a film. So many to choose from on Sky it’s hard to pick one. Talk about spoiled for choice. Catch ya’ll tomorrow.
    Might as well do my bingo before I go.

Darlow.

Yedders Lascelles Clark Dummett

Shelvey Hayden

Ritchie Perez Atsu

Mitrovic.

4-0 bonus points. Gone for Mitro because he likes scoring against these and Rafa might see it that way too. Perez or Diame is anybody’s guess. Later lads.

• sing in the corner

Apr 23, 2017 at 8:18 PM

Mag52
    Haha yeah just spotted that. Auto correct is getting more devious. Randomly slipping the word ‘French’ into my post without any warning! 🙂

• Clematis

Apr 23, 2017 at 8:36 PM

Bobby @ 6:

Yeah, that’s the team I’m hoping for, too 🙂

I hope Diame plays no further part in the run-in; such a disappointment.

• JamesToon

Apr 23, 2017 at 8:36 PM

Bobbybee

Thats one thing actually, next season rafa will have a lot more time to prepare the lads for games

• JamesToon

Apr 23, 2017 at 8:37 PM

Also fully agree with that team.

• Jail for Ashley

Apr 23, 2017 at 9:06 PM

Well done Tynemouth for the only bingo win against Wigan, some very close calls but just as I thought it was a blank Tynemouth popped in with the five points. Burton next.

• Jail for Ashley

Apr 23, 2017 at 9:12 PM

Mbemba threw a spanner in the works for Burton, drew a blank.

• welshgeordie9

Apr 23, 2017 at 9:23 PM

Some might say I’m a rock n roll star that definitely maybe likes cigarettes and alcohol and always been told don’t look back in anger because after all I am their wonderwall.

• Jail for Ashley

Apr 23, 2017 at 9:24 PM

Three winners for the Sheff Wed game.
    Ron Knee, one fine day and chicousa,
    Well done

• Ben Afri

Apr 24, 2017 at 9:44 AM

On a separate note, does anyone think that Lazaar is not totally out of Rafa’s equations? My thoughts are that Rafa may have made a mistake purchasing him so early due to the robust nature of the Championship. However, Lazaar’s style is better suited to the Premier League. If I look at how many fullbacks in the top tier can’t actually defend, but work better as a unit when they have to get back, the championship was never going to be Lazaar’s season maker. Premier League fullbacks these days tend to be utilised more for their ability to sustain or trigger an attack than for their defensive prowess. Look at Clyne for example. He’s less of a defender than a wingback.

• Ben Afri

Apr 24, 2017 at 9:55 AM

Sing and Bobby
    I completely agree with the two of you. I for one admit that we NEEDED to be relegated to be able to start afresh. Ofcourse I’m not saying that I’m happy that it had to happen, but it HAD to happen. We’ve let go of the type of players who have used our club as a stepping stone for far too long. The players who we now have actually WANT to be here. Yes, we still have A LOT of work to do because I don’t believe that our current squad would hack it in the top 10, but it was always going to be a rebuilding process over the next three years. We would not have had the time to rebuild while still in the premier league, nor would Ash have felt the need for it. I’m actually going to kind of miss the Championship as it highlighted the one thing we’ve lacked for at least the last 5 years…we now have HEART!

Now to work on the rest